Vikings take Jalyn Holmes in the Kirk Cousins spot

Getty Images

The Vikings traded out of round three, and they ended up near the top of round four as a result of the transaction. With the second pick in the round (the same spot where Kirk Cousins was picked six years ago), the Vikings went for a guy who will chase quarterbacks.

Ohio State defensive end Jalyn Holmes is the newest Viking.

It’s definitely a pick based on potential; Holmes simply didn’t have high-level production as a Buckeye. But the Vikings have a solid history of taking pass rushers in round four. That’s where they found Everson Griffen in 2010 and Brian Robison (also pick No. 102) in 2007.

33 responses to “Vikings take Jalyn Holmes in the Kirk Cousins spot

1. As a lifelong Viking fan, I’m not a fan of this draft at all. Our biggest need is OL. We could have taken Will Hernandez with the 30th pick, and they take Hughes instead. They reach in the 2nd rd on O’Neil, and now a DE that hasn’t really done anything in the 4th.

2. A 4th round pick is a low cost and the kid has the potential to bring high reward. If he doesn’t pan out, they’re fairly strong at the position anyways. These are the kind of picks that have to be made when you have a decent roster and you’re picking very near the bottom of the draft.

Think of it on a 1 to 10 scale. Let’s say you’re a solid 8 at a given position; do you invest a first, second or third round pick to take a guy that’s almost sure to bring you to 8.5 at the position, or do you gamble and go low cost on a guy that has the potential to take you to 9.5 or maybe even 10?

There will be more misses than hits, but the hits tend to make up for it… and again, this is one of the realities of drafting in the high twenties or thirties.

3. Agreed — I’d love to be completely wrong, but I’m not excited by anything the Vikings have done in this draft. But as was mentioned, it’s been a long time since the Vikings drafted this low.

4. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    April 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm

/////////////////////////

You’re right cabbage, to be fair the packers have picked fairly high the past couple of decades. This is where the GMs make their money. Spielman has done a great job finding players in the later rounds or UFA. Diggs 5th round and Thielen. Let’s hope he continues to do so.

5. We know it is unlikely the Vikings will keep players, so Maybe this draft is an indication which way they are leaning…moving on from Waynes and Hunter and keeping Barr and Diggs.

6. The already have bower at defensive end as a backup. He’s great. This pick makes no sense. Why does spielman continue to think you don’t need an offensive line with depth???????

7. I am not impressed with this year’s draft for the vikings….packers are doing great and so are the lions. Not taking the best guard was a mistake.

8. The instant draft grades from fans are always fun to watch. I remember last year when everyone lost their minds because we didn’t draft oline in the 2nd round, and when we took Ben Gedeon in the 4th. Both those decisions worked out pretty good. Also remember complaints about Danielle Hunter. Hell I remember fans complaining we traded up to “reach” for Harrison Smith. If there’s one thing I know, it’s that instant draft grades are worthless

Chances are the fans complaining have never seen a snap by any of the players the Vikings took and are just piggybacking off the opinions of the so called “draft experts”.

Let’s let these players play a few games before we declare the draft a bust, seems fair?

9. NO. Its a cleaver pick again by Spielman who thinks, we have all we need lets figure out what the pack needs and take guys before they can. HA HA HA
    No fear the pack have not changed a lick and are liking the very late el cheapo players. Nothing has changed. Russ Ball the money guy is obviously the guy in charge not the so called fake GM’s.

10. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    April 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm

——————————–

If I’m the Vikings and I’m going to gamble here, I would gamble on Maurice Hurst who has a potential health issue but has been cleared by doctors, and who was rated in the top ten picks as well as the number 1 defensive tackle.

11. @saxmachine69

It isn’t that I question the quality of the players, it’s that we have needs. OL was by far our biggest weakness. What happens if ONE of them goes down with an injury? You can point out previous draft picks, so point out good OL we have grabbed in the mid to late rounds. Elfline? The Spielman has been amazing…except when it comes to OL. So what does he do? Passes on a day 1 starter and grabs a project? I’m not an expert but I do know the Vikings aren’t known for hitting home runs at OL.

12. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    April 28, 2018 at 12:32 pm

————————————-
    First words that I never thought I would utter, but I agree? with Stella and cabbage??? What is the world coming to.

I think the way the draft has flowed hasn’t worked into the Vikings favor, with the exception of Hughes who fills a huge return game need, and depth at DB which is always nice. The run on OL late in 1st and early in 2nd really put them in a situation where they took picks that are scheme fits with high upside. I hope it works out, but they really could use a starter on the interior of the O-line.

Back to Stellar and Cabbage – thanks for posting insightful stuff, maybe we can start to turn the page on the trash that is usually on the Pack/Vike boards. Looking at your team, I have liked their offseason so far, both signings are solid, not sure what to make of the Kizer pick up yet, thought Randall was just starting to show signs of improving, and they definitely got the better end of both trades they made in the first round. I know this past year sucked, but I have a couple close friends who are pack fans, and I have told them it was a blessing in disguise because I think your front office will be better for it.

13. I just LOVE how all you schmoes know more about player evaluation and drafting than the scouts, coaches and GMS who have been working on it for 6 months.

I guess they should have not bothered and called you instead of “wasting” picks.

Like they did with Everson Griffin, Danielle Hunter and Brian Robison.

Keep talking, posting… I think I’ll just archive your comments and play them back for you two years from now to see what REALLY happened.

14. @2ruefan it’s pretty to not have an opinion and point out where others are wrong. The reality is half of more players are busts. For every home run, I can show you a Treadwell or Ponder. Don’t act like they hit it out of the park with every pick.

15. Everyone needs to calm down a bit. Getting a dynamic kick/punt returner and potential star corner is never a bad thing. Hernandez would have been nice but he maybe didn’t fit the zone blocking and pulling game the team transitioned to. That’s probably why the O’Neal pick who is the most athletic Tackle in the draft. Holmes and Hughes are maybe a shot across the bow of Hunter and Waynes plus insurance. Depth on defense is a big part of the team and they are playing the long game so they have to take value. There are many other ways to get help at guard from here on out. Reaching for one just to get one wouldn’t make sense.

16. Let’s be honest…..the whole draft process is a crap shoot. No one really knows how these picks will turn out. No such thing, as a sure thing.

17. O-line is their biggest need but if you pick solely for need, you’re sunk.

Many years ago, some really savvy GMs started to pick “Best Player Available” and if they didn’t need the guy, they’d trade him. That worked well for a while but it doesn’t work as well now.

What works now is balancing need vs value. Every team has their own grades on every guy in the draft and they’re often wildly different than the grades of other teams and/or the “draftnicks.” This is because you have to grade them with an eye in how they’ll fit in your system. A guy that’s highly valuable to a run-first team may not have nearly the same value to a pass-first team, no matter what Mike Mayock or Mel Kuyper blather on about.

You identify the guys you want, group them into “grade classes” and then trade up or trade down so that you get them at the right value. You can’t take an O-linemen in the 3rd round when all of the O-linemen you have graded that high are already gone. Well, you could but why not trade back, gain an extra pick or two and then get one of “your” guys a little later. Again, just another reality of picking late. You rarely, if ever, get top ten talent at pick 30.

18. alaric411 says:
    April 28, 2018 at 1:30 pm
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    April 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm

——————————–

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Either way; the point is, this is where you gamble. You pretty much have to, unless a guy you’re really high on slides down to your spot. I always got a kick out of the guys that would hop up and down and crow because Thompson didn’t get any top-half talent… while picking at the end of each round. Bill Belichick doesn’t get top-half talent picking at the end, either. He’s just extremely good at getting the right guys, for his system, at the proper value.

19. I actually like this pick. Keep in mind Robison is most likely in his last year and Hunter is playing LDE, but fits better at RDE and most likely will move there once Griffen is done (32 this year). They need a run stuffing DE who can play inside on passing downs and this kids fits that perfectly. 6’5″ 285 and runs a 4.8 is hard to find. Just like Hunter, LSU didn’t get everything out of him that Andre Patterson and Mike Zimmer did, I see the same happening with Holmes.

20. Sorry, I’m no expert but I am allowed and opinion, and I am not and have never been a fan of the theory of taking “Value over need” Hernandez AND Williams were both available at 30th and we should have taken one. Speilman and his value theory are going to bite the vikings in the back and and have Cousins on his back.

21. Geez, lots of emotion over a day 2 or 3 pick that will be a backup this year regardless of the position.

22. I wondered if they would hang onto Jarius Wright and use him as a chip to help move around in the draft. I guess I am still wondering why this wouldn’t have worked. As far as the quality of the Vikings draft, I don’t know enough to evaluate who they picked but for every good review I see about a player, I see at least one bad one. About the only thing I know for sure is that more top ten players pan out than 6th or 7th rounders so if we keep winning and drafting way down because of it, we need talented players that we can afford to trade. So we need to buck the odds on these low picks and get real high level talent down there.

23. Nyheim Hines was available went at 104….Not sure about this draft, maybe one of the worst in the last 5 years/

24. thenorseman817 says:
    April 28, 2018 at 1:36 pm
    Grooming to replace Griffen? Plantafacitis plus 8 year vet, time goes by fast.
    ———————
    Didn’t Griff just sign a new deal? I wonder if it is more a draft to replace Hunter, contract coming up and maybe the two sides are not that close. This guy seems like a repeat of hunter when they drafted him, freakish talent, high upside, but no consistent results on the field to this point.

25. ARod(in his collarbone) says:

###

Will Hernandez is a road grader which is excellent for the running game. But he’s not a good pass protection guy – and we just signed Cousins for his ability to run a passing offense.

Hernandez wasn’t worth a 1st round pick for OUR team. And obviously no one else that he was either. I don’t think we would have taken him at 62 either. Simply not a good option for the Vikings.

As to Hughes – a pick to provide insurance for Robison’s retirement after this season and if we can’t resign Hunter. Zimmer likes to be able to rotate the DL to keep them fresh and Hughes in round 4 makes good sense.

26. What was Rick thinking in this Draft? Between slash (this or that) players to reaching
    for players that are 2-3 years from stepping on the field.. I only like the Kicker pik

27. If the team was a playoff team they should be moving up to get less players per draft but higher quality. How many lower round picks even make the team? If you don’t have as many needs you don’t need as many picks.