Colts GM Chris Ballard: I don’t want trading Andrew Luck on my résumé

Getty Images

Chris Ballard will not be known as the G.M. who traded Andrew Luck.

After Colts owner Jim Irsay said the team turned down trade offers for Luck, Ballard said the same, and he said he quickly cut off the conversation when he received calls wondering what it would take to pry Luck away from Indianapolis.

We’re not trading Andrew Luck,” Ballard said. “I’m not putting that on my résumé.”

It sounds like Ballard didn’t even let the conversations progress far enough to find out what kind of offer the Colts could receive.

“Look, we had some calls last year at the trade deadline,” Ballard said. “And I just — c’mon man. I’m not taking those seriously.”

There’s no word on which teams were interested in Luck, but it would be fascinating to find out the identity of those teams and just how much they were willing to offer. Even if the Colts say the answer to any offer will be a firm no.

49 responses to “Colts GM Chris Ballard: I don’t want trading Andrew Luck on my résumé

1. Well… you don’t have picking the bust on your resume.

You can’t be a politician when building a winner.

2. Trading Andrew Luck only looks bad on your resume if he returns to his pre-injury playing level. If the dude never progresses past throwing a nerf football, you look like a genius.

3. I’d give a 3rd. Jacksonville’s Defense is going to send him into retirement the first time they see him again.

4. The sooner you get rid of the dead weight on your boat anchor, the easier it will be to lift up. Once you’ve done so, you can get moving again.

5. I can’t imagine any team making any real offer. Either he can play and is priceless or can’t play and is worthless. The Colts would know best about his health. I can’t imagine teams would sell the farm on a gamble.

6. Thank you, all of you Doctors with insider information on Andrew Luck’s true condition, for voicing your learned opinions here.

I’m glad that we have a source superior to the Owner, GM and Coach, along with all of Luck’s Doctors and physical therapists, to provide TRUE inside in this forum…..

7. I don’t think they would have gotten nearly as much as anyone thought or has been talking about.

If Luck has a 50-50 shot at returning, same odds as a 1st round QB. So why trade him?

8. Luck was the fool for signing an extension. He knew it was a train-wreck yet he climbed back on board and now has a broken body to show for it. Kirk Cousins was smarter.

9. beavertonsteve says:
    April 29, 2018 at 11:54 am
    —————————
    Irsay implied there were first rounders pavkaged with more among the offers, if thats true, and Luck never returns…thats the thing no one would want on their resume.

10. Ballard is full of it. Trading Luck now accelerates a $40 million cap hit, so they are stuck with him this year, which is a probably a good thing. This is the season when they find out if he is recovered or damaged goods.

The dead cap hit in 2019 is $12.8 million and that is the time to either move on or continue on with the deal in place. The other question is whether they should have drafted Josh Rosen at #6 (or Josh Allen), knowing the 2019 class won’t be as strong.

11. upscaleman says:
    April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm

—————————-
    That Irsay said that they recieved offers of first rounders packaged with more is not a medical opinion. That Luck thus far has not started throwing is not a medical opinion, its just info that his doctors have reported. But to say that you know that the way things will progress from this point is that he is going to start throwing and complete his rehabilitation prior to the season (Irsay has said by training camp but lets just go with next season), well that would be a medical opinion. So to your point…are you a doctor?

12. Luck has yet to prove he can play well again.
    Until then the optimism is currently quite baseless.

13. I hope Luck does come back to forum. Before he was injured he was looking like a HOF future nominee. But I feel this is a career injury that will nag him for the rest of his time in the NFL. I expect him to retire in the next 5 years.

14. “Luck will be back to form. Book it.”

Lolz whenever someone posts on PFT with the phrase “book it” they are invariably wrong.

I think Luck is finished, though that’s bad for the sport and I’m not happy when any marquee player is knocked out. Only time will tell.

15. Yeah that’s weak. I applaud the draft but this is a business. People don’t get to live on reputation, and quite frankly the elite label has never really applied to Luck’s play, just that reputation and supposed promise. I hope he does return, I hope he ups his game and becomes the star everyone hoped he would when they drafted for him, but if he doesn’t, you don’t want to be the GM that holds on to someone who isn’t bringing championships to your city.

16. McDaniels was smart not to go down this road with Lucky. Even if Luck returns how durable will he be? Ballard’s challenge will be to survive the Luck era in a now stacked division. The Colts no longer have to worry only about the Patriots.

17. rodgerstonelson says:
    April 29, 2018 at 12:27 pm

—-

Agree with the premise but not that he was looking like a HOF future nominee. Forget the playoff games – that’s a team thing because his stats were not close to being HOF worthy. Barely 60% completion rating (2 years sub 60% including a very Tebow like 54%), all over the board in TD:INT, average rating of 87.3. There just wasn’t a lot of consistency there.

Like you though I hope he can recover, return, and get the chance to prove he is that elite talent.

18. harrisonhits2 says:
    April 29, 2018 at 12:33 pm

“Luck will be back to form. Book it.”
    —————-
    That … and he’s a bust and checkers vs. chess.

19. I don’t blame him. Teams would never forgive him for suckering a team into trading for a QB with a bum shoulder.

20. redclaw1314 says:
    April 29, 2018 at 12:42 pm
    ————————-
    There have been a lot teams that have worried only about the Patriots while other teams beat them.

21. What would that trade have been for – 2 Ham sandwiches & a bag of stale chips??
    I wish Luck the very Best, because he had all the tools – just a little too
    reckless with his body, not to mention that shoulder is now made of glass!

22. I think it would be more impressive to trade an overpriced quarterback with a bad throwing shoulder to a sucker team willing to take him.

23. Doctorrustbelt still bitter after Luck owned the Bengals in the playoffs, keep crying, maybe you’ll see a playoff win someday

24. Luck is “damaged goods” like Sam Bradford/Cardinals. Unless Luck can come back fully recovered — as Matt Stafford did after missing nearly the first two (2) years of his NFL tenure due to injury — then Irsay/Colts are going to have to unload Luck for another “pot of gold” QB in the ensuing NFL Drafts to come.

25. thegreatgabbert says:
    April 29, 2018 at 1:33 pm
    Well they always said that Luck would be the next Peyton Manning. He just ended up on the trade block with a bum arm much earlier than his predecessor.
    —————————-:
    You might have a point there. Manning did manage to come back despite all the people that thought he was done (I’m guilty) and delivered well for a couple years after that. Granted he had a killer team around him, but still except for the final year he had plenty enough to do with the success. Indy might have been feeling a bit burned watching their discarded qb having more success than the one they maneuvered so hard to get and is gun shy to risk feeling that way again.

26. Things on Ballards resume right now.

– Handcuffing the team and the coach with Luck with no legit backup plan resulting in the second worse season the franchise has had in two decades.

– Firing a coach with no backup plan resulting in the team becoming a laughing stock because they’re only the second one in NFL history to have a head coach run from them after being offered the job.

– record low ticket sales to the point that having the Vice President walk out and Payton Manning get honored at half time still only mustered a half full stadium.

But yeah, building for your teams future… that’s what you don’t want on your resume.

27. Honestly I think Ballard is smarter than that. He has been doing a pretty good job with the decision making. But Irsay I dont think is smarter than that and I stronly suspect has told Ballard that he is not allowed to do it, and Ballard is playing it straight and not pointing up at his boss.

28. neatpete1 says:
    Irsay implied there were first rounders packaged with more among the offers…
    —————-
    But was there really any interest or just more Irsay BS? Seems to me that claim, and Ballard’s statement, is all part of repeated fake news by Colts (going since the Sept 2015 injury) to defend keeping the potential Luck represents, keeping up fan hopes and forward ticket/merch sales.

29. “He done. Nice work Colts, aka Browns North.”

Uhh… pretty sure Indianapolis lies to the southwest of Cleveland. Care to try again?

30. neatpete1 says:
    Irsay implied there were first rounders packaged with more among the offers…
    —————-
    Irsay also claimed Luck would be ready to play last season

31. It really all boils down to his health. If he’s healthy he’s a top ten QB and trading him is morose. But it looks like that’s a Texas sized if. Also I have a hard time calling a guy who, when he’s up and running full bore, is capable of delivering the goods a bust. Not his fault the Colts thought drafting a franchise QB than protecting him with a junior high o-line was a viable plan.

32. Luck is just about done. Nice going Colts could have been one of the greats if he was on a team that gave a damn about their offensive line. Oh and if their owner wasn’t a scumbag that’d probably be better for Luck too.

33. It’s funny how people are acting like he was an amazing quarterback before he got injured. I would contend that he was a turnover machine and had a long way to go before he became the elite quarterback everybody thought he was going to be when drafted. Might not have ever got there anyway. Imho Russell Wilson out played him by a wide margin.

34. You know KARMA is a bad thing! You deserve if for throwing games to get him in the first place. Suck for Luck just changed to “a moving truck for Luck”, because as done as A FREE Corned Beef and Cabbage meal at the local Bar on St. Pats day! Dude is DONE Ka-Put, Toast, like a forgotten Rump Roast in the oven before leaving for a Movie..