Jason Witten leaving Cowboys, joining ESPN

AP

Jason Witten is exiting the playing field and entering the broadcast booth.

ESPN reports that Witten has agreed to become an analyst on Monday Night Football. ESPN previously reported that Witten was likely to make the move but hadn’t officially decided. Now it appears to be official.

Witten, who will turn 36 on Sunday, is still a good enough player that the Cowboys were hoping to keep him. But his production declined last year, and his 63 catches for 560 yards were his lowest totals since he became the Cowboys’ starting tight end in 2004.

It’s the second straight season that a Cowboys player has retired and gone into the broadcast booth. Last year, Witten’s friend and longtime teammate Tony Romo retired after the Cowboys released him and took a job with CBS, where he got rave reviews as an analyst. ESPN can only hope Witten is as successful — and the Cowboys can only hope to identify a young tight end who replaces Witten as well as Dak Prescott has replaced Romo.

79 responses to “Jason Witten leaving Cowboys, joining ESPN

1. Sweet diversity hire. Hopefully Kaepernick sues them for colluding against his amazing broadcasting career.

2. amaf21 says:
    May 3, 2018 at 8:14 am
    sorry cowboys fan you just lost your best player

———————

Ya, cuz 21,77,72,70,90, and 50 are scrubs.

3. His production feeling, Dez’s production fell…. Maybe it isn’t them.

Good luck up him. Have hated the boys since the 70’s but loved to watch him play.

4. amaf21 says:
    May 3, 2018 at 8:14 am
    sorry cowboys fan you just lost your best player.
    ____________

As a Giants fan, Witten lit us up and caught game winning TDs against us but those haunting memories are from years ago. He is far from their best player now. Elliott, Smith, Frederick, Martin, Lee, Lawrence are all currently way better than Witten.

5. I for one am glad he’s moving on, It’s time to get some new blood
    in there… It has been said he was retarding the growth of any
    potential young players by getting all the snaps, refusing to help
    young players that might take his job.. but that is pretty common
    in the NFL.

6. The good news is Daz now has less people to throw inaccurate passes too. The bad news is he’s still going to throw inaccurate passes.

7. ESPN can only hope Witten is as successful — and the Cowboys can only hope to identify a young tight end who replaces Witten as well as Dak Prescott has replaced Romo.

————————————————————————-

I would hope they were looking for a better replacement than Dak was. However, if what you say is true, any street free agent will do.

8. Good luck Mr. Witten. IMO you should’ve gone with the other broadcasting offer. ESPN is going down fast due to their abhorrent political views. I guess their target demographic are Cowboys fans, the pro-criminal crowd, and dictator-loving/U.S. hating socialists.
    Fox Sports helped the NFL draft ratings, and broadcasts NFC games. They don’t have crazy political views. Therefore I’m surprised that Witten didn’t go to Fox.

9. Classy dude…I know it had to be hard on him watching the locker room dynamic switch up on him…he just showed up and worked and was the consummate professional…if you show up like he did you’ll leave the game on your own terms which alot of folks can’t claim

10. I agree with amafi – Witten was the Cowboy’s best player. Don’t care about “21,77,72,70,90, and 50”, and not being the best on the team doesn’t make you a “scrub”. I personally believe his drop off last year was because of Dak, whom I do think is an average QB at best. Not a fan but I will miss Witten. Classy, talented player. Good luck Witt!

11. A great tight end, his run without a helmet is classic.
    The Truth/700levelvet must be sleeping in after playing video games all night.

12. Great player and even better man, the Cowboys and NFL as a whole are lesser without him on the field. Always loved his personality on camera, I think he’ll be a fine play by play commentator on Monday Nights.

13. So basically we are back to the news before the draft that he was retiring to go into announcing. Back before Jerry told everyone that Jason wasn’t retiring.

14. timebandit24 says:
    May 3, 2018 at 8:30 am
    amaf21 says:
    May 3, 2018 at 8:14 am
    sorry cowboys fan you just lost your best player

———————

Ya, cuz 21,77,72,70,90, and 50 are scrubs
    ——————————————————————————————-
    Scrubs? Yes we are talking about the same Cowboys that failed to make the playoffs. It’s now one more year closer until they have to pay Prescott and Elliott. I’m waiting to see half of their roster cut when that happens.

15. I’ve listened to a couple of Witten interviews on YouTube. Nothing stands out that would make him a good analyst on MNF. I guess time will tell. From Tirico and Gruden to where they are now is a big step down.

16. I would put Witten as the second best TE of all time. I can’t put him above Tony Gonzalez as he revolutionized the position but both Gonzalez and Witten did their work with so many average to subpar QB’s. I can only imagine their numbers if they had the same pro bowl QB’s that Gates and Gronk had/have.

Good luck!

17. Going to feel weird Winning the Super Bowl This year Without him! Anyways it Was time in my book. Good Luck Jason!
    This team is Straight Up LOADED with Talent and Pro Bowlers!

18. Congrats on a great career Witten! As an Eagles fan, I always hated facing you but loved watching you play. Enjoy your retirement and next career in the booth!

19. America’s Team now dominating the TV booth as well……
    Every other of the 31 NFL teams should give the Cowboys a check each month for keeping the NFL so popular.

20. SMART MAN-I LOVED THE COWBOYS THROUGH THE DON MEREDITH (EXCELLENT QUARTERBACK) , BOB HAYES, BOB LILLY, LEE ROY JORDAN ETC DAYS, RIGHT UP UNTIL THE DAY JERRY JONES FIRED JIMMY JOHNSON-JERRY JONES IS “BAD” FOR THE COWBOYS, CONGRATULATIONS JASON WITTEN!!

21. This fan of the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles will miss competing against Witten. He was a very classy and accomplished player.

I would say the ‘Boys may regress, but they were already a mediocre franchise. At least the fall won’t be so steep.

22. swhy19 says:
    May 3, 2018 at 9:42 am
    America’s Team now dominating the TV booth as well……

————

The Cowboys have been the rest of the league’s door mat since the 90s… I would not expect that to change any time soon.

23. Let’s hope he is more like Romo in the booth and not that annoying putz Aikman.

24. Cowboys are going to be second fiddle to the Texans for the next few years………….

25. Nothing but respect for you Jason Witten. Yes, I am a die hard Eagles fan, but the way you played the game, carried yourself off the field and in turn the respect you got from players has put you in my opinion in Canton in 5 years. You are a player I compare to our Brian Dawkins. Did everything you could on the field and never got a ring, but I will tell you what that was one hell of a career and you were never the reason a ring wasn’t won. You played all out, injured and never complained or made headlines for the wrong reasons. Happy Retirement! Just don’t bash my birds too bad on MNF. 🙂

26. As an Eagles fan, I despise the Cowboys, but always liked and respected the player and man that is Jason Witten. Even saw him with his family at Disney getting onto Toy Story ride. All around great player, person, and I sure hope Hall of Famer.

27. I refuse to believe Witten retired until I hear him announce it! Once again the source leaking Witten retired is ESPN whom I do not trust. If the source is correct and Witten did retire, I congratulate Witten on an awesome career! He will be missed on the field and in the locker room! Hopefully, he will wind up in Canton soon.

28. I have always been a contrarian so…
    Is Witten really a Hall of Fame player or ….. did Romo just throw to Witten so much because Owens, Bryant and the rest of the mediocre Dallas wide receivers couldn’t be trusted to run their routes correctly and actually hold onto the ball when it was thrown to them?

29. Witten is definitely a loss. Great player, great leader. Daks performance last year was good…no question, but will he grow to Cowboys standards. Also, they have no decent back-up. Jerry should bring in Manziel who I think has grown up. If Dak goes down, that’s it.

30. Good timing Jason, and good luck!
    We always see better with our own flashlight.

31. Witten will always be a legend in Dallas. That being said, he wasn’t going to get 100% of the snaps this year, like in previous years, in fact, the changes to the roster and evolution of the offense may have aided in his decision to move on now.

32. And he will be missed even more during training camp and in the locker room than they’ll miss him on Sundays. It’s been a pleasure watching a true pro all these years. Happy Trails, Cowboy.

33. I don’t tbink Romo was imcompetent. He probably overrelied on Witten.

Good fit for what they did. They almost won a playoff game. Best NFC team by far in 2011 and the Cowboys lost to a hot team at home.

But Witten is a great guy and Romo is fun to listen to. I prefer listening to QB’s just like I prefer listeing to pitchers over a know it all catcher. Warner got jobbed but he’s come back from worse.

34. shadywarrior says:
    May 3, 2018 at 8:40 am
    Dude is a football player’s football player. I’ll never forget him fearlessly running through the defense after losing his helmet.

____________________

Witten does not Run after the catch which is why he has one of the lowest yards per reception. This is why he only has 1 TD in the playoffs after being in 8 games.

35. Cowboys fans can say it all they want, I’m convinced they wanted Goedert before the eagles jumped ahead and took him. They had no-one at TE other that Witten

36. Cowboys fans can say it all they want, I’m convinced they wanted Goedert before the eagles jumped ahead and took him. They had no-one at TE other that Witten

————————
    Really, who cares, they both got very good players and I think everyone in the long run will live long and prosper. Eagle fan is just really excited bc they got in front of the cowboys and picked a player they may or may not have wanted. Eagle fan still obsessed with the cowboys after winning a lucky SB…hilarious.

Regarding witten; it was painful to watch this guy play the last two years. third down chain mover but could barely move after the catch, running routes, and to block. Great TE but probably played 2 years too long. He made the right call. Cowboys will miss his locker room presence, but will most likely be better at the TE position on the field with a younger, faster and more agile TE that they have behind witten on their bench.

37. As a Giants fan I’m glad we won’t be seeing Romo up the middle to Witten for 35 yards anymore.. They made it look like we weren’t playing any LB’s

38. nhpats – why do you feel so inclined to throw negative comments up on EVERY Cowboys article? I can at least understand why Eagles fans do – but you root for the Deflatriots in the AFC…serious question.

39. Too bad he played for the Cowboys. Good move team is going nowhere and his body deserves a rest.

40. So is Dez Bryant gonna wind up calling TNF games when he doesn’t get the one-year deal he wants but isn’t coming??

TV Execs everywhere: “Quick, we’re running out of former Dallas Cowboys who never won a Super Bowl ring! Dez Bryant?? Isn’t he black? Nevermind then…is Cole Beasley available?”

41. youknowI’mright:

Your analysis is spot on. Witten stayed too long, delayed development of other tight end talent on the team, demanded all the snaps, seemed a little selfish. Good character guy though, and good locker room guy. We will see better tight end play without him. I won’t miss the 4 yard catch and fall down when we needed the 5 yards for a first down. His YAC had become really the worst in the league.

42. stellarperformance says:
    Packer-killer. It never mattered who the QB was. He was the best.
    ==

3-8 in his career against the Packers.
    Everything else is just meaningless and futile stats in defeat.

43. Eagles fan here for 70 years. Hated when we played Dallas and the big guy killed us with unbelievable catches all the time.But as an avid football fan you have to appreciate what the player brings to the sport. He is, and was in my opinion the best Tight End to ever to play the game and I saw John Mackey, Kellen Winslow and Mike Ditka and Keith Jackson, etc.I wish him a great future in whatever he chooses to do, and am glad my Eagles, Super Bowl L11 Champions, don’t have to face him twice a year from now on.

44. I can’t say Mr. Warner lights the world on fire with his television commentary, so perhaps that had something to do with it also. As for who is AMERICA’S TEAM? The New England Patriots have 580,000 more Twitter followers than the Cowboys, so the Pats are, at least, AMERICA’S TWITTER TEAM. I don’t have a dog in this fight, I support the Barcelona Dragons.

45. calizcowboyz says: