Orlando Franklin retires, wants to be a full-time dad

Getty Images

Veteran offensive tackle Orlando Franklin was cut by Washington this week, and he’s decided not to seek employment elsewhere.

Franklin wrote on Instagram today that he has decided to retire and be a full-time dad.

“Hey everyone it’s been a rough few days for me and more importantly a rough three weeks of me not being able to see my family every day once I got off work, over the last few days I’ve realized that FaceTiming my son is just not enough,” Franklin wrote. “I’ve always looked forward to being a father and right now I’m not at my best because I cannot be a good father here in DC while my wife and son have to be in Denver. And for this reason I have talked it over with God, my family, and my agent, and have decided to retire after seven years of playing in the NFL.”

The 30-year-old Franklin was a second-round pick of the Broncos in 2011 and also played for the Chargers.

43 responses to “Orlando Franklin retires, wants to be a full-time dad

1. Good for him. He’s made $24 million in his career, and if he’s invested it responsibly, he’ll be able to be a stay at home dad indefinitely.

2. That’s a nice sounding reason but prob total BS – the reality is that after 2 injury-plagued and poor-performance seasons with Chargers he then tried and failed to get onto several teams elsewhere (Jets, Dolphins, Jags among others), before lasting 5 days on Saints, then tried to get onto Giants and one or two others before Skins picked him up end of Oct – but he only got on the field in one game. Dude is just too banged up. They signed him to a risk-free reserves contract in January but have now cut him. And the main reason he’s not seeking employment elsewhere is because he’s already tried everywhere.

3. Good for Franklin!! 7 yrs in the NFL is more than most ever get, move forward and do great things

4. it breaks my heart.. making all that money, working 4-5 hours a day for 6 months.. gone on the weekend 8-10 times a year… off most of 6 months… poor baby!

5. Dads rule!! The rest of us should applaud you, Orlando. The love of a child surpasses none. Thanks for being the Dad you are. Family is always > than the NFL. Best of luck.

6. Orlando, you were always one of my favorite Broncos. One of the most cerebral and articulate guy ever. Delighted you continue to live in Denver, welcome home!

7. Kudos to him, he’s made plenty of money and had a solid career, I can’t help but respect walking away healthy to spend more time with your family. Plus now he doesn’t have to worry about getting beat up by grown men, he just has to worry about getting beat up by his kids XD. But seriously, I’m happy for him.

8. You’ll never get the time back that you missed, so I admire him for making this choice instead of trying to hang on for a few more years.

Dad. The best job in the world.

9. mrbiggstuff says:
    May 5, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Dad. The best job in the world.
    ============================================

Mom may disagree. 🙂

Anyhoo, I wish I had that kind of loot when I was being a dad.

10. Hes 30, not 40. Also, his reasoning is great PR, but has no real bearing on anyone’s life. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and stop with the PR. Basically just go away. Millions of us who made a millionaire still gotta go to work on Monday.

11. Just so happy for this man. I only know how much I love my Dad and how much he was there for me. Now that I am a Dad, I try to be the best ever like my Dad. You have to be there to do it. Thanks for being a Dad, Orlando. You are the man!!! Like I said earier, Dads rule!!!!!!!!!

12. Good for him but sad. He was killing it here in Denver & was one of the better O Line players. Then HE chased the money in SD. So nice career & he I wish him well.

13. damcmp says:
    May 5, 2018 at 5:20 pm
    ———
    You clearly have no concept of the time these guys put in.

In season guys are at the facility for 12 hours a day. They have 4 to 5 hours a day just in meetings let alone lifting, rehab, and practice. The guys are also expected to watch extra film in their free time. During the offseason the load lightens some but the average guy is still working out 5 to 6 hours a day plus.

14. Love all the “I work 9 to 5 so screw this guy” posts. Geez you idiot sport fans are cynical.

15. Brady wishes he could do the same but can’t until he breaks all of Manning’s records.

16. So a guy makes a great choice, steps away, fiscally sound and wants to be with his family and jock sniffing stooges bash him. Interesting

17. So many losers on here who made nothing of their lives are whining about having to work. LOL. Total losers.
    Work harder instead of being so lazy and you can retire, too.

18. Pedantic Weasel says:
    May 5, 2018 at 8:52 pm
    ———
    I’ll keep saying this but that’s because about 1/2 the “fans” here are more like the spectators who would watch someone being fed to lions or lynched for entertainment. These guys are not human beings to them.

19. Smart man, get out with a lot of money and your health. Don’t understand how he could use the cant see his family excuse? He’s rich, he could easily move them to live with him in whatever city he went.

20. Edward Halverson says:
    May 5, 2018 at 7:00 pm
    mrbiggstuff says:
    May 5, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Dad. The best job in the world.
    ============================================

Mom may disagree. 🙂

======
    Mom. HARDEST job in the world!

21. And it’s taking shape. These guys are figuring out that no amount of money is worth dealing with life long injuries that inhibit them from enjoying life. He’s not the first guy. Others will follow… this is going to become a 4-8 year career for a lot of guys. They’ll make 20+ million or a lot more in some cases and it’s enough. Don’t blame them…

22. damcmp says:
    May 5, 2018 at 5:20 pm

———–

Do the world a favor…..have a vasectomy

23. Jeff Hollow says:
    May 6, 2018 at 5:14 am
    ——————————————————————————————
    Moving your family several times is very stressful and can become quite expensive. Ask any military brat how much they enjoyed moving around as a kid because their parents got restationed.
    Plus, leaving an area that you really enjoy living in to chase a job often turns out to be a problem. Many people have found that they would have been happier to take less money and stay in familiar surroundings than always chasing the almighty dollar.

24. Good for him. I always chose family over money and I am retired now, not rich, but I have enough. I wouldn’t do it any differently if I had it to do over.