Would a new contract make Tom Brady feel more appreciated?

Getty Images

When recently asked whether he believes he’s appreciated by the Patriots, quarterback Tom Brady led with “I plead the fifth” and followed with a non-answer. So if there’s an issue with the extent to which Brady feels appreciated, what better what to show him appreciation than to give him more money?

Consider the broader context of Brady’s last new contract, from April 2016. The deal pushed his annual average to $20.5 million, at a time when the highest-paid player at the position (Joe Flacco) was making $22.133 million per year. Since Brady signed his latest deal, a rash of younger and far less accomplished quarterbacks have pushed the bar higher and higher, from Andrew Luck ($24.5 million) to Derek Carr ($25 million) to Matthew Stafford ($27 million) to Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million) to Kirk Cousins ($28 million) to Matt Ryan ($30 million in new money; $28.2 million in total average value at signing).

At least Flacco had a Super Bowl win. Luck, Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, Cousins, and Ryan have one Super Bowl appearance among them. Four of them (Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, Cousins) don’t even have a single postseason win.

So maybe the time has indeed come to show Brady the most tangible appreciation possible, especially since the greatest quarterback in league history currently is sitting at 68.3 percent of the top of the new-money market. This doesn’t mean Brady should be paid $30.1 million per year, but it does mean that he’s not just below market. He’s now dramatically below market.

Considering that Brady surely is getting relentless (and understandable) nudging from his wife to walk away from the game while he still can, a contract that puts him closer in line with quarterbacks who fall far behind him on the ability scale would give him a way to push back against one of the go-to arguments that Mrs. Brady surely is making regarding whether he’s truly appreciated for the benefits he provides and the sacrifices he makes.

44 responses to “Would a new contract make Tom Brady feel more appreciated?

1. What? The rings, accolades, fawning, and 1st ballot HOF guarantee aren’t enough? He signed the contract, no one forced him.

2. Yeah, Mrs. Brady is probably nudging him and saying “I’m worth more money than you, you don’t have to do this anymore.”

3. If only he hadn’t dropped that wide open pass, or fumbled with 2 minutes left in his last game, they’d have bumped up his salary…

4. How much longer does he have on the contract he signed with the Devil? I mean this dude dumped a hot movie star for Giselle. Not only is she hot, she makes more money than he does. Has a ring for each finger on one hand. Old Big Red is licking his chops. The odds of accomplishing what Brady has thus far must outweigh winning the Powerball on a weekly basis.

5. There comes a point that investing in past success is foolishness… He’s old for the sport and investing in him is NOT investing in the future!

6. bcdc26 says:
    May 5, 2018 at 1:26 pm
    ————————————-
    Salty Patriot hater myth #457. The reality is they’re comparing apples and oranges. If you just compared Brady’s basic salary to ALL of Gisele’s income (i.e. with endorsements), then in the earlier years her income outweighed his but ONLY if you also ignored all his endorsements. And in latter years with her stepping back a little to raise kids, his total income swamps hers – Forbes listed him 50th and her 99th in a rich list analyzing 2016’s incomes.

7. I read at least one source that Larry Joe Bird still had the first dollar he ever made. Tom Brady has been working at his trade for a long time and if he has invested his money well (even with just an index fund) 5 million more (way more than I will ever make) in taxable income may not be that much to him. It has to be about one more ring or why go through pain?

8. It amazes me how infatuated Pats fans are with regards to players salaries, not from a cap standpoint, just finances in general. I wonder if they care as much about yours.

9. Clearly the best of his era along with the most wins. Time to stick it to Billy and demand 75 mil guaranteed for 2 years. He’s not your buddy, time to stop doing favors for everyone. In 2 years, he’ll stab you in the back and dump your body in the Charles. BB gets huge $, time for TB to play some hardball.

10. Its not the Patriot way. I would hamstring the team financially. This is partially what makes him so valuable to the Patriots or any other team. He gets the concept of being able to build a team around him.

11. Those that are saying Brady should demand top dollar are the ones who are hoping that it trashes the Patriots salary cap and makes them non competitive. They’ve been waiting for oh so long…..

12. I’m not a Patriots fan but he should definately be the highest paid player in the NFL hands down.

13. defscottyb says:
    May 5, 2018 at 3:14 pm
    I’m not a Patriots fan but he should definitely be the highest paid player in the NFL hands down.

Bro I Agree. His accomplishments his leadership and being the FACE of that franchise for years, He is just a WINNER
    period. Dont like the PATS AT ALL but I do agree that Brady has been the ultimate team player for years and they take advantage of that. Brady Is WORTH MORE then Rodger! P E R I O D !

14. exinsidetrader says:
    May 5, 2018 at 3:43 pm
    Jimmy will finish his career with more rings than Brady #HotTake
    ———————-
    Then he has a seriously long way to go.

15. He wouldn’t feel appreciated until Bob Kraft gave him part of the team as ownership.

16. Its not the money. What he wants is for his trainer Guerrero to have full access again, thats whats pissing him off

17. Wait, Mrs. Brady is “surely” arguing he needs to be paid more? What’s the basis for that claim? In fact, nobody has any evidence of Brady or Gisele Bundchen (by the way, that’s her name, not Brady) feeling like he needs to be paid more.

What we do know about Tom Brady is that he wants to win and he’s never cared before about who gets paid more than he does.

18. harrisonhits2 says:
    May 5, 2018 at 4:08 pm

5 2 Rate Th

—————

One of the dumbest things I have ever heard. The story is wildly exagerrated.

It is not a big deal for Brady to walk over to the facility.

My goodness. And, you are a Pats fan who buys this?

19. Haters are coming out early this year. Jealousy just oozes out of your whiny posts.

Who want bet the reigning league MVP goes to his ninth super bowl?

20. Let all the free agents walk, basically signed no one, pushed the draft out another year. Its as if Bill is setting up Tommy for failure this year so he can dump him. There’s plenty of cap money around, time to pay Tom and Gronk instead of Kraft and BB just stuffing their pockets.

21. Patriots are with out a back up QB so Tom has leverage. All Tom has to do is not show up to camp at all. Pay me …trade me … or say I’ll retire. Who wants to bet if the reigning league MVP gets paid then?

22. remizak says:
    May 5, 2018 at 4:17 pm

——————
    Anyone that can think those two would actually sit around at night comparing salaries dont grasp the concept of a relationship based on true partnership. So in that respect I feel sad for them.

23. I think this is wrong on several levels:

1. What does Brady want from his final seasons in the NFL? Money or Championships? It clearly championships. He has all the money he could want. But any money the Patriots pay him is coming from their salary cap and reducing the chance of additional championships. So paying Tom Brady more makes it less likely that he gets what he wants. That’s a bad deal all around.

2. If the Patriots abandon their fiscal restraint to line Brady’s pockets, it isn’t clear that they will be better off as a team. Brady has committed to playing out the next two years under his current contract. Will 43 year old Brady be worth breaking the bank for? I love Brady and am a big Patriots fan, but I would not want to guarantee him any money in 2020 until I see how he plays in 2019. The odds are strong that his body and motivation will decline to the point where the Patriots are (at best) equally happy with and without him in 2020.

BTW, the Patriots do NOT have loads of cap money lying around. They spend reasonably close to the cap each year and push all the leftover money into the next year. Every dollar spent on Brady means less talent on the team. They could choose to dig deep for one year if they were willing to take a major competitive hit the year after. Patriots fans are NOT rooting for such a scenario. I’d rather see the winning tradition continue for another decade. That means saying goodbye to any player who wants to get paid above his talent.

24. I think he’s fine allowing them to spread more of the salary cap around for more title chances (as he’s said in the past). The 50 million dollar piece of property Kraft bought him 5 years ago, too build their current home, more than makes up for his big salary gap compared to the other top qb’s.

25. The Patriots traded the future for him and he still doesn’t feel appreciated? Wow.

26. streetyson says:
    May 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
    bcdc26 says:
    May 5, 2018 at 1:26 pm
    ————————————-
    ———————————————————————————————
    It’s not about annual salary, it’s about total net worth. Brady is worth 180 million dollars, Gisele is worth 360, twice as much as him. And really I’m not salty, I don’t care about the Patriots, I’m a Cowboys fan. Trust me, with them playing the Eagles in the Super Bowl, I was rooting for Tommy boy all the way. But reality is that they have over 1/2 a billion between the two of them so it’s hard to think Tom’s situation is about money. I think it comes down to a difference of opinions between him a Belicheck, with Tom thinking he’s earned more pull than what Bill is allowing. Actually I have kinda respected Brady that he’s not fussed about his contract that I can recall throughout his career and frequently has found himself paid less than other QBs for what appears to be the sake of allowing the team to put players around him. Now, I like to think that if I were him and my financial situation was what his and his wife’s is, I would offer to take league minimum, so long as the team agreed to use that capital towards a number of charitable organizations of my request. Would hit their bottom line but not their salary cap. I would think that would be something they’d be willing to do. Look at what the Rams have done this offseason. The know they’re not sinking a huge % of their cap into the QB because he’s on a rookie deal so their trying to squeeze it into a tight window. Pats would essentially be doing the same thing but I suppose it’s a bit late for that. With free agency basically over it’s not like they’re going to be able to add anyone of significant value at this point unless it’s done via trade. And many of you would disagree with me on the whole concept, because a law of business is to not provide a service for less than what it’s worth but if the guy’s really just playing for legacy at this point than why not? If a player ever does that, i’ll be their biggest fan. It would seem to display a sense of priorities that you really never see.

27. You Pats fanboys are deliciously amusing. You get paid what you are worth and GOAT is worth so much more than the peanuts the Pats pay him. Brady is the face of the Pats and the NFL. He is a great warrior on the field but off it, he doesn’t have the stones to push back on the Pats. Time to make his wife the agent. She wears the pants.

28. Like most people, wasn’t he always mainly doing it for Tom Brady anyway? Yes, he was for the team. Yes, he was for the city of Boston. But come on, what more reward does he need than to be recognized as the GOAT, a living legend/hero in New England, 100’s of millions of dollars, a supermodel wife, etc etc. My God. Athletes’ egos can get out of control.

29. I can’t see BB paying any of his players 30 mils a year, even Brady. Brady should be happy he wasn’t traded and BB didn’t really get his replacement. Look at Flacco and Big Ben. They can’t seem to believe that their teams have real replacements for them. Brady is whining because BB constrained Alex Guerrero from worming his way completely into the Patriots system.

30. Pats already made a mistake trading away Garoppolo, they should not make another one and give a QB at age 41 where no other player at this position in history has been at the top of his game – a new contract with more money than he is worth.

Pat fan yaps about Brady’s MVP last year – well just ask Brett Favre about how an MVP-like season can be followed up by a quick end to your career. Father Time always wins. ALWAYS.

31. idiedpretty says:
    May 6, 2018 at 12:28 pm

==================================
    No he isn’t. Paying guys for the past and not for the future is how teams get into trouble in a cap league.

32. Someone please remind me which culture determines a man’s worth based on the money he makes? Is it the one that brought us gold grills and Benjamin covered jackets or the one that puts $ 2nd to winning and taking care of their families?

33. Not trying to bash the Pats, but the end is near for this incredible run. Nothing last forever.
    Patriots will miss the postseason this season.