Mason Rudolph on Roethlisberger: I’d say same thing if I were him

Getty Images

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said last week that he was surprised that the team took quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round of the draft because he thought they could use players who can help the team now more than one who will be on the sideline if all goes according to plan.

That came after Roethlisberger said that he plans to play for 3-5 more years, which would eat up most or all of Rudolph’s rookie contract if he was in Pittsburgh for all those years. Rudolph said on NFL Network that he wouldn’t expect to hear anything else from the longtime Steelers starter.

“If I was Ben, I’d probably say the same thing,” Rudolph said. “He’s a competitor. Obviously, he has a lot of confidence in himself, like I do and yeah, he’s going to be a future Hall of Famer and I would expect him to say that. So I’m just looking forward to going in there and learning the system, competing, raising my level of play, preparing like I’m the starter even though obviously I won’t be the starter. And just waiting and being prepared for whenever I get my time. Whenever my time comes, to be ready and take advantage of it.”

Roethlisberger’s comments this week didn’t make for the warmest welcome for an incoming rookie, but Rudolph doesn’t appear to be too thrown by what the veteran had to say. He’ll be in Pittsburgh to practice for the first time at next weekend’s rookie minicamp.

30 responses to “Mason Rudolph on Roethlisberger: I’d say same thing if I were him

1. Big Ben has never been a man. He’s beaten women he’s dated and avoided responsibility for bad play. This kid is lucky to be as distant from Big Ben as possible. Hopefully this will be Ben’s last year and let it be a painful injury that requires him to be hauled off the field by being dragged by horses.

2. Remember when Tommy Maddox was talking all that trash about the Steelers drafting a rookie quarterback, after he had just won the XFL championship and MVP, then led the Steelers to a playoff berth?

Me either.

3. Look what you got to look forward to Pittsburgh ! 3-5 more years of playing nurse maid to new england

4. The Truth says:
    May 6, 2018 at 11:38 am

——–

And the Jaguars

5. Still can’t believe Mason Rudolph didn’t get picked by the Patriots.. Seems like the perfect fit to sit behind Brady for 2 or 3 years then keep the Dynasty going into a 3rd decade.

6. People are sleeping on Rudolph. He’s already showing more maturity from a professional standpoint than Burger has shown in his career. Steelers got a “steel” in the 3rd round with him. If 90% of the game is half mental, the score is Rudolph 1, Stellers 1 Burger zero. Coming from an OU and RAIDER fan.

7. The media is making a lot bigger deal over this then it really is. If u listen to the interview you can see Ben is not bitter like they want to make it out to be. Media can be a joke and just want to start drama.

8. nhpats says:
    May 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
    The Truth says:
    May 6, 2018 at 11:38 am

——–

And the Jaguars

—–

And soon to be Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson.

9. as a Bills fan I REALLY WANTED THIS GUY !!!Steelers got a Qb ..Franchise Qb in 3rd..Big,Smart , mobile..Amazing Arm !!!..and wants to Earn Everything !!!!..i’m gonna be saying “Told u So” to a lot of my friends,Family !!! Bills could’ve taken him in 2nd and saved all their picks instead of trading up !!! envious of the Steelers..AGAIN !!!!

10. The Truth says:
    May 6, 2018 at 11:38 am

——–

And the Jaguars

The Chummer trolls are getting off the couch and putting down their Doritos to show us their intelligence and hatred. It’s sunday troll show so respect.

This kid seems to have his head on correctly. I would rather see Ben a little edgy if it pushes him to excel. I sense the fear in this trolls head as he comments on every Steeler thread like a gossiping old crone.

11. One and one in a home playoff game against the underdog Jags while personally handing them 14 points. Please, please, please …. do NOT be anything like Small Ben in Big Games.

12. nhpats says:
    May 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
    The Truth says:
    May 6, 2018 at 11:38 am

——–

And the Jaguars

—–

And soon to be Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson

—-

And soon to be the Dol…. hahahaha I can’t even jokingly believe it anymore… phins

13. No QB had a worse welcome than Aaron Rodgers. Favre refused to even so much as say hello to Rodgers from day one, let alone mentor the rookie. Hopefully Ben has a little more class than Favre.

14. Look a lot of people including the media are blowing this way out of proportion!!!… Rothlisbuger I’m sure is going to help Rudolph out an give him advice an help him while he’s still playing also I’m sure Mason knows that an will listen an take what he says to heart! So those bashing big Ben chill out an relax already!! It’s all going to work it quit tripping..

15. Big Ben proves once again he’s Small Ben. A small minded narcissist who has dragged this team down long enough. Steelers need a QB who doesn’t collapse every time there’s a playoff game or when they meet the Jags or the Patriots.

16. Why can’t people accept the fact that they are old? Ben…you’re old and your body has been destroyed…..it would be STUPID of the Steelers front office if they didn’t look at the future.

If you are a stasrting NFL QB and 35 years old or older you’re just an idiot if you get butthurt that the franchise begins preparing for the future at the position.

17. Big Ben is being a Big Baby. He has talked about retiring like every year lately, how can he be surprised the Steelers drafted a qb. I respect the way Alex Smith handled working with pat mahomes last year. From what I have read, Alex gave pat a true apprenticeship year on how to be an NFL Qb. And, Alex had his best year and got paid a huge deal in Washington. Everybody Won. Big ben should stop crying and maybe try acting like a Pro, for once.