Colts target training camp for Andrew Luck

Getty Images

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before. Actually, you have heard this one before. And you’re about to hear it again.

The Colts are targeting a training-camp return from quarterback Andrew Luck from his shoulder injury.

Last year, the Colts seemed to be resigned to the possibility that Luck may not be ready to participate in training camp as the offseason program concluded. It was regarded as a surprise at the time, and some regarded our effort to read between the lines as #clickbait and/or #fakenews. Obviously, it was neither. (For a change.)

This year, the target continues to be training camp.

“[The] timeline’s good,” Colts G.M. Chris Ballard said during a recent visit to PFT Live. “You know, he’s actually not even throwing a football. He’s doing everything we’re asking him to do. He’s got a program specifically laid out that puts his timeline to be back at training camp. He didn’t want to skip a step. I don’t know if he skipped a step last year, but I think he felt the pressure of coming back. Not rushing; I don’t want to say rushing. But, you know, he felt the pressure of coming back. And he couldn’t get back right. This year, whenever he sat down with me in early January he said, ‘Look, I don’t want to skip a step. I want to do this the right way.’ And he’s doing that. He looks the best I’ve seen him. His body’s in great shape. His arm feels really good. He’s just taking it step by step. We’re looking at training camp as our target date right now.”

Plenty of people won’t believe this, given the history of statements from the Colts that have ended up being not believable. Does Ballard have concerns that there’s so much doubt about the veracity of the team’s statements about Luck?

“No, I get it,” Ballard said. “I get it. And I don’t blame the people for asking the questions. That’s why I don’t mind answering it. I mean, it was unfortunate last year. I mean, that was a blow to us. There was never a point that we didn’t expect him back. I think maybe that was being a little too optimistic in our eyes, but we expected him back. I get the questioning. Until Andrew steps off Week One and walks out of that tunnel and starts playing again, we’re still going to answer questions. There’s still going to be doubt. And I get that. That’s why I don’t mind standing up there answering the questions. I don’t mind and I get where the doubt comes from.”

It definitely will keep coming until Luck can play. And play well. And then the question will become whether and when he suffers the next injury that make shelve him for an indefinite period of time.

26 responses to “Colts target training camp for Andrew Luck

1. I honestly hope he does play, but can the Colts actually at least try to protect him? He’s been a human rag doll his whole career. He’s the one guy on the Colts I like and want to succeed, but it seems like the Colts do more and more to undermine his progress.

2. It gets harder and harder to believe he’s ever going to be the same player again.

3. Luck will be the new Pennington IF he can ever play again.. No way he’ll be ready for season if he hasn’t thrown a ball in a year or more.

4. I have nothing personal against Luck, but certainly blame the Colts for having ruined his career by giving him no protection and then lying about and mishandling his injury for over two years. And the Deflategate grifters still have a long way to go before their debt of karma is paid, which should be scary for anyone on their roster.

5. #alternativefacts

terripet says:
    To afc title games his first 2 years name another quarterback to do that

6. terripet says:
    May 11, 2018 at 10:34 am

To afc title games his first 2 years name another quarterback to do that
    =============================================================================
    Who did? Luck didn’t. He lost in 2012 wildcard to Baltimore, Lost to Pats in Divisional round in 2014, then in lost in 2015 in the AFC championship to NE 45-7. Which of course they lost by 38 points because of deflated footballs, in a game where the Pats ran all over them.

7. Irsay – “How are season ticket sales going?”

Head of sales – “Not very well”

Irsay – “Then start telling people Luck is ready to go even though he likely won’t be on the field again this season, and if he is he’ll never throw like he used to”

8. terripet says:
    May 11, 2018 at 10:34 am
    To afc title games his first 2 years name another quarterback to do that
    ——————————————————————————-

Andrew Luck did not do that.

OTOH, Mark Sanchez did do that. So I guess in your world that means Mark Sanchez is a better QB than Andrew Luck.

Sadly, for Colts**** fans, that last statement may now be true.

9. Sept 2015 – Luck injures shoulder v Titans.
    Sept 2016 – Pagano “Luck was fine”. Grigson pissed that the media keep speculating Luck is unfit.
    April 2017 – Luck interviewed, says he’s been habbing ishoulder constantly since Sept 2015 injury.
    Sept 2017 – Pagano to media on Luck’s fitness “I dunno, I haven’t actually watched him practice.”
    [Note shoulder not listed on most of the final injury reports during 2015-2017 – Fraudger says nothing].
    Jan 2018 – Irsay: Luck was good to go for next season.
    Feb 2018 – after McDaniels wanted more medical tests on Luck, Ballard: “Luck has turned a corner.”
    May 2018 – We’re “targeting” training camp – [best we talk targets, not actual progress].

10. terripet says:
    May 11, 2018 at 10:08 am
    Will be back to give defenders nightmares
    ==============================================
    Will be back to give defenders the ball (fixed it for you)

11. He’s done. Even if he plays, he’ll never be the same. Passing on Darnold, Rosen and Allen in this draft will be looked back on in the same vein as when the Trailblazers passed on Michael Jordan to take Sam Bowie. It will be made even worse when it turns out Rashad Penny is better than Saquon Barkely.

12. terripet says:
    To afc title games his first 2 years name another quarterback to do that
    ——————————————————————
    Mark Sanchez.

13. That may be just a bit of a stretch. I don’t think Darnold, Rosen and Allen are going to turn out to be Jordan-esque. And Darnold was already gone when they took Nelson.

seahawkboymike says:
    He’s done. Even if he plays, he’ll never be the same. Passing on Darnold, Rosen and Allen in this draft will be looked back on in the same vein as when the Trailblazers passed on Michael Jordan…