Brian Flores not concerned with his title on Patriots staff

Getty Images

The Patriots didn’t give anyone the defensive coordinator title after Matt Patricia left to become the Lions head coach this offseason and that suits Brian Flores just fine.

Flores is still listed as the team’s linebackers coach despite taking on many of the responsibilities associated with the coordinator job this year. It’s similar to what the Patriots have done with assistants like Patricia and Bill O’Brien in the past and that leaves Flores focused on his job rather than his title.

“I’ve never been big on titles,” Flores said, via the Providence Journal. “I’m here to work. I’m here to help this team win any way I can. I think I’ve always said that in some form or fashion. Yeah, if they want me to get water I’ll get water. If that’s the role you need to help us win then that’s what I’ll do. … This is a team sport, so everyone has different roles … and those roles change throughout the year. It’s ever changing. So, for me personally, whatever role I’m in with this team I’m going to do it to the best of my ability and try to do everything I can to help us win.”

Flores said there will be some “personal imprint” on the unit, but noted Bill Belichick’s long-running imprint on the defensive side of the ball by saying “we’re going to continue to play defense like we have for the past 18 seasons” while discussing how things will go in his first season with a larger portfolio

47 responses to “Brian Flores not concerned with his title on Patriots staff

1. So, all his life, he’s never been big on titles…. yeah OK. Nice job company man….He should have said…. “My main job here is to not let our defense get shredded by a backup QB in the biggest game of the year”. Just another Belichick fall guy.

2. I know Flo’s face, but obviously we don’t get as much of a look at positional coaches publically as the head coach or coordinators. So I’m not all that familiar with him as a coach, he’s been the “Malcolm, GO!!!” guy til now. I was surprised he got interviewed for the Cardinals head coaching job, having never even been a DC at the NFL level, and shame on me, I made the assumption that he was satisfying the Rooney Rule requirement for Arizona’s hiring process, just based on unfamiliarity with him and job titles. But they hired Steve Wilks, another black dude, who HAD been a DC, so that tells me that people in NFL circles think there’s something special there with Flores. I’ve heard that the players generally respond very well to him, and that’s big. Looking forward to seeing how he does with his new role here in New England. Sounds like we shouldn’t get too attached to him though, he’s clearly a wanted man already.

3. rageviral says:
    May 13, 2018 at 12:01 pm
    Win anyway we can. You willing to deflate footballs?

1 5

——————-

who is your favorite? santa claus or the easter bunny?

lol

how embarrassing

4. harryshavik says:
    May 13, 2018 at 11:35 am
    No word if he’s gonna stick a pencil behind his ear (or if he’s ever been indicted)?

3 13 Rate This

—————-

check with goodell

you people are honestly so stupid

5. shadywarrior says:
    May 13, 2018 at 12:08 pm

3 2 Rate This

-//—————-

yep. bb trying to fend off cheating franchises

i would guess the highest paid assisants and nick caserio, are right there in foxborough.

6. Patriots may want to do a background check…..oh wait it’s the Patriots they can do what they want.

7. He’s not DC simply because he’s being trained into the role by BB and if it doesn’t work out he won’t have to suffer being demoted. I’m sure he’s happy with that and got a raise.

8. vaphinfan says:
    May 13, 2018 at 12:56 pm
    Patriots may want to do a background check. oh wait it’s the Patriots they can do what they want.
    —————————
    Firstly, it would be against MA law to ask Patricia or prejudice against him for a dismissed case. And if they had you’d be the first to come on here and whine about then doing so.

9. jimmylikesthat says:

Some of the weaker Patriot bashing yet. You guys need new material
    ===================================================

The Deflator agrees.

10. Every DC the Pats have had since Romeo left has gone through a year of the “no title” phase. It’s just one of the things Bill does as he trains his staff of no-names from the ground up. From every report, Flores will do fine and get his “title” soon. In the mean time, the Pats will have ANOTHER very smart dude coordinating a new defense every week.

11. Michael E says:
    May 13, 2018 at 1:18 pm
    jimmylikesthat says:

Some of the weaker Patriot bashing yet. You guys need new material
    ===================================================

The Deflator agrees.

3 8 Rate This

—————-

yes; no one ever jokes on text or deflates footballs based on the air pressure being too

are you michael silver?

lol

like i said above, how embarrassing for you

12. If you’re interested in him, read the ESPN story (I know, espn bleh), but it’s actually a really good story on him and how much hardship he’s gone through to reach this point. He has a very strong personal character and I think that’s why people see him as such a good, potential head coaching candidate already.

13. You are probably a jets fan…fireman Ed sure helped alot of you by constantly reminding you how to spell jets..it takes some people longer to learn them big words.

14. mikespillane337 says:
    May 13, 2018 at 2:24 pm
    Defence huh…to his defense,he can spell.

————-

And here I thoughtBoston had some of the best schools. If they do, you should use them to know that Canadians such as myself use British English. Which is colour, honour, neighbour, defence. Etc. Typical American uneducated ignorance. Have a great day.

15. mikespillane337 says:
    May 13, 2018 at 2:28 pm

—————

Please google the word defence.

16. dimi1919 says:
    May 13, 2018 at 2:51 pm
    mikespillane337 says:
    May 13, 2018 at 2:24 pm
    Defence huh…to his defense,he can spell.

————-

////////////////////////

Please do not group all Americans in with pat fan. Their arrogance goes as far as smelling their own farts.

17. tylawspick6 says:
    May 13, 2018 at 12:31 pm
    shadywarrior says:
    May 13, 2018 at 12:08 pm

3 2 Rate This

-//—————-

yep. bb trying to fend off cheating franchises

21 6 Rate This

_____________________________________________

LMAO TyLawPick6 did you just say BB trying to fight off the cheatng franchises? LoL funniest comment ever! Something tells me that you don’t own a TV or watch football. The Patriots have been repeat offenders when it comes to cheating since they started winning. You are the only person that thinks they keep getting framed repeatedly.

18. Replacing a guy that benefited solely from Brady’s success (which of course was not legit), who cares? Please somebody mark the following note for future ref if you’re not buying it: MP will never be heard of again in this league after a brief (failed ) stint moving forward. Also – just because his accuser decided she couldn’t take the stress of going to trial, doesn’t mean he didn’t commit the crime – the evidence spoke for itself. What a pos loser this guy is, with no integrity…no wonder he fit in with the culture around BB and RK.

19. Michael E says:
    May 13, 2018 at 1:18 pm
    jimmylikesthat says:

Some of the weaker Patriot bashing yet. You guys need new material
    ===================================================

The Deflator agrees.
    ———————————
    Well since there is no person on earth that is or ever was named the deflator…..

20. This guy is automatically better than Matty P, but that’s not saying much.

21. jimmylikesthat says:
    May 13, 2018 at 12:39 pm
    Some of the weaker Patriot bashing yet. You guys need new material
    ——————————————————————————
    This is what happens when trolls leave Mamma’s basement on Mother’s Day. They lose their magic basement powers. But to be honest they have pretty much spent their shot on the whole deflate, spygate mole hills that the media and the haters turned into mountains of nothing.

22. British english in canada, you cannot make that up if you wanted to.So what happens when a french Canadian wants to post,or an american Canadian?Do we need to get rosseta stone or can we just use american english?Because here we speak and spell english to avoid confusion.We may have different accents but the words are spelled the same.Post on CFL boards.

23. JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    May 13, 2018 at 5:50 pm
    This guy is automatically better than Matty P, but that’s not saying much.

————-

Matty P went to 6 straight AFC Championships as the defensive coordinator. He won 3. He won 2 out of 3 Super Bowls. So, yes, he blew one game. However, try and name someone with a better record than him historically as a DC.

24. mikespillane337 says:
    May 14, 2018 at 6:12 am

————————————————————————————————————————–
    Let me guess: You’ve never been on an airplane and get scared when you travel to a big city?

25. mikespillane337 says:
    May 14, 2018 at 6:12 am

———-

Here in Canada we spell every word the same also. And speak English. Commonwealth. Look that word up. I have. Lot of American friends that already know this stuff. Man you must be from central Kentucky or something.

26. French and English have equal status as the language in canada…get out more…you do not even know about your own country.Tell the queen of england hello for us americans(we actually earned our independence by winning it).

27. The plural of moose is moose not mooses. It’s dries. Not drys. But thanks. And I live in the 4th largest city in North America. So thanks for your concern. Anyway, maybe you should get out more to see some bright new coloURS at the centRE of your neighboURhood. See what I did there? Anytime you want to come to Toronto I’ll be glad to have a beer with you and show you what a world class city is like.

28. Keep in mind this all started by you not looking up the word defence and trashing people you know nothing about. The USA is a beautiful country and I have a lot of family and friends there and I would never trash it like you do mine. It thanks and have a great day. That beer offer will always be on the table.