J.J. Watt offers to pay for funerals for Texas school shooting victims

Getty Images

Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has offered to pay for the funerals of the 10 people who were killed in a Texas high school on Friday.

Nine students and one teacher were killed at Santa Fe High School, about 30 miles from downtown Houston, when a student opened fire. Another 10 people were injured.

The Texans have confirmed that Watt said he will pay for the funerals of the deceased.

Watt was named the recipient of the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year Award after his fundraising campaign raised more than $37 million for people affected by Hurricane Harvey.

70 responses to “J.J. Watt offers to pay for funerals for Texas school shooting victims

1. Thoughtful gesture J.J.

Some people are just born good people.

#OnWisconsin!

2. I was slightly irritated by the Hurricane Harvey plaudits – everyone was forgetting that (as with all such charity fundraisers) it’s the people doing the donating who are the real ones to thank, not the fundraisers. But this, this you really can be impressed by.

I never used to be anti-gun – I even got a navy markmanship badge – but then I worked in England and got used to a gun-free life, even the cops (ok, in London ghettos there’s a knife problem but you’re far more likely to survive a knife wound and it’s very hard to mass murder with one). And since coming back all I read about are all these lives destroyed by guns. The only legal civilian weapons should be single-shot rifles for (trained, licensed hunters) and similar for (trained, licensed) farmers and some park rangers working around dangerous animals.

3. The guy uses his fame and fortune for good causes, I give him a ton of credit for that. Easy for me to sit here and say I’d do the same with ‘all that money’ but he actually does it and it’s a hypothetical for me.

Good on you JJ, keep giving back to the community.

4. Seems like anytime there is a tragedy near Houston, Watt is there to help out. Outstanding young man! Wish some of these mega rich owners would follow his lead.

5. Everyone knows who should be paying for the funerals for these kids.

Everyone knows.

6. Or, ALL people are born Good. Bad things happen, hatred is taught.
    Looks exceedingly Clear that the Watt family has proper priorities. Good job, parenting.
    Looks to me like JJ comprehends that there are ONLY 2 types of people:Good folks. Bad folks.

No Wiscosin love required.

Show em, JJ. That unstoppable motor of his is a beacon. A blast. Good dude….better family.

7. How sad that this is even a possibility.
    Our “government” is paid for and run by gun NUTS!
    I guess that vacation to Cabo or that new Addition to the lake house is way more worth it that any child’s future.
    Take the guns and learn to fight you pansies.

8. I often see players get in front of a microphone and thank the Lord for whatever just happened, and that’s great. Nothing wrong with that. Now I’m seeing a man thank the Lord with his actions, not just words. Thank you J.J. Watt. I think your example is what we need to see more of. A lot of people do good deeds that don’t get announced to the media, but we are kind of a nation of followers, so I’m glad J.J. gets the good word out there. Thank PFT for that.

9. freefromwhatyouare says: Some people are just born good people.

—–

No. Some people are just born into good situations. Lots of good kids are ruined by violence and abuse.

JJ was taught to be a great person from a great family…and he truly is a great man.

10. His parents did alot right. All 3 of those guys are great people. Too bad we can’t replicate them. Having patents like that would solve alot of our nation’s problems. Good for JJ.

11. This is great. I’ve been fatigued by the Watt PR machine in the past, but it’s great to see an athlete put their money where their mouth is. Excellent example. Way to go.

12. I used to think Watt was little more than an egotistical showboat as well as a fantastic football player. He’s definitely changed my opinion since the Houston flood. There’s a lot more to this man than I used to think. Good for him and shame on me for being so judgmental.

13. An absolute stand-up dude! Way to go JJ!! Thank you for being a great role model and humanitarian. You make this world a better place.

14. Please stop praising JJ, he does this for media attention not out of the kindness of his heart. True kindness comes from your heart. People who truly give out of the kindness of there heart would not publicized there good deeds.

15. ctiggs says:
    May 19, 2018 at 9:34 am
    He never misses an opportunity to say “I” or “me”

Reuben Klopek says:
    May 19, 2018 at 7:23 am
    always has to make it about him, anything for publicity

Kevon Alfred says:
    May 19, 2018 at 9:29 am

———————-

16. It’s hard to believe that some here are criticizing JJ Watt for doing a great thing. And we do not have a gun problem in this country…we have a LUNATIC problem. Law abiding gun owners should not be penalized for the actions of criminals, crazies and terrorists.

17. dallashomer says:
    May 19, 2018 at 8:10 am
    Time for gun control. Repeal and replace the Second Amendment.

————-

Yeah because banning drugs really eliminated our drug problem

Back to the main topic, JJ is a great man.

18. This guy plays a game for a living and isn’t even 30yrs old and has already changed millions of lives for the better and continues to do so. Imagine how it would be if just half of the people with all of that money we as caring as he.

You’re the man, JJ.

19. yea, it certainly could have been done without the immediate and upfront press release. there are players who commit kind acts and give generously of their time and money without wanting the publicity. watt isn’t a bad guy, he just isn’t very self aware in how much he craves the camera and microphone -e. g. the sideline posing an entire half with some blood on his nose.

20. I was thinking as I clicked into this that I was sering a story no hater could find a negative angle to throw down. I forgot that when they cant find one they still have their plan B of making one up. Man you guys do not disappoint..
    ——————
    Agree.

But where are the billionaire owners of the Houston pro sports’ teams? JJ has pocket change compared to them. The good publicity would help them more than it would Watt.

21. Good for you, JJ.

The people who are questioning his motives are the worst kind of humans .

On a side note, the Red Coats are not coming back.

The NRA is a bunch of gun toting simpleton cowards.

My right to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” should outweigh your right to be a braying coward with a gun.

The guns will always remain, they will never go away.

We have to change as a society and that will never happen.

So all we can do is carry on and hope OUR/YOUR kids don’t get slaughtered at school so you can have your effing guns.

We all know it going to happen again and again and again and again…it’s just a matter of where.

Sad times.

Everyone be well.

22. That guy never ceases to amaze me. One of, if not the classiest players to ever play in this game. A very sad situation, but hopefully a little less burden for these families.

23. Kevon Alfred says:
    May 19, 2018 at 9:29 am

________________________

Ahhh makes sense. Paying for all the victims funerals should definitely go unnoticed. That way other people wont get any funny ideas and get inspired by his gratitude.

Man we really needed your words of wisdom during the hurricane relief Watt started. Imagine how much money celebrities and athletes could have saved…

24. I was going to say the NFL rookie class should take notice of this man’s actions and strive to be more like J.J. Watt. I would like to extend that invitation to all Americans.

25. For those who would accuse him of grandstanding, it was the school that first made this public, not JJ.

26. People criticizing JJ for doing this should find something else to be bitter and jealous about. A good deed in a difficult moment deserves respect.

27. J.J. Watt represents what’s right and good with America.

He is this generation’s new “John Wayne”. I love this kid.

J.J., you are an inspiration to all.

28. First off good job JJ & I am sure your family is beyond proud. As to the reasons, as a 67 male it is beyond me how it’s come to this. I have a pretty varied background & see a lot. I grew up in NH , moved to Bogata Colombia for 2 yrs , then back to Florida & Tn etc. Never fired a gun never wanted to. But while guns are not to blame, the ease of getting to them is. Like the Navy guy who lived in England it’s a nice dream, but how would anyone propose to get rid of some or most guns? I get gun collectors & hunters etc, but who needs an assault weapon? Who needs an automatic weapon? When I grew up we had reform schools & mental hospitals. But now even if you see a family member or neighbor who is “off” they can only check them for 72hrs and let them lose. This kid was bullied by coaches & students. So instead of going to the school principal or school board he posts on FB & decides hey let me kill some of these kids I hate. Most people just want to live & let live. But nope not anymore, I want to make a name for myself.

29. JJ Watt gets it. Note to Mr Kaepernick and all the other Kneeling fools this is how you make a difference, how you start change you show love and compassion for your fellow man. Kneeling, marching protesting complaining do NOTHING except make people feel better.
    I read many comments here and was struck by how many people want to blame the government or expect them to change, Change starts in your heart, you want change make a real stand. if you rely on somebody else to make changes you want you are not going to get it.
    Or say he only did it for publicity. Only thing thing that matters is that he took action where it was needed. Negative comments about a positive act say more about the comments than the person/action they are commenting.
    Parents we need to get tough with school administrators and bring disciple back to schools, for the kids and the coaches if it is true he was bullied by coaches and teachers they ALL need to be fired along with the administrators.

30. Two types of improper postings here:

1: Chastising JJ for publicizing his charity- Where in the story does it say he made some sort of self aggrandizing announcement to the press? The story has no source other than confirmation from the Texans, how do you know he didnt try to keep it quiet? Furthermore, good deeds can be infectious, often inspiring others. Who’s to say it would be a bad thing even if he did make some sort of announcement? Im sorry your life is so meager and pathetic that you have to hate the good deeds of others.

2: Those commenting on politics. The anthem protesting protesters are all about keeping politics out of sports, and here is a story about an athlete doing a nice thing, and it has to go off the rails and be political.

Both types of comments show resentment, hate, and anger on a story about an incredibly good deed. Please re-assess your life and focus inward. You can be happy.

31. Way to go JJ!

For those of you critical of the press release, look at it this way. If Watt didn’t make this public, others may never have donated to the causes he supports. He uses his celebrity status to do good and raise awareness.

JJ Watt is a blessing to so many…

32. You can’t reasonably criticize a person for his willingness to help — good for Watt.

This Texas kid had a sawed off shotgun — which is illegal in most states. As an avid hunter and former NRA member (can’t support them any more), I can say there are reasonable compromises on gun control — more thorough background checks, removal of the private gun show sales exception, banning extended magazines and bump stocks, etc. The second amendment grants gun rights subject to regulation — its not absolute.

33. For people who are critical of JJ, it’s not his fault the media chooses to report it and make a big deal out of it. All he can do is go about his business and he did so in a classy way. I question the media for reporting it so quickly without even giving the families a chance to grieve. The media doesn’t care about the families, they care about clicks. The story Friday shouldn’t include JJ Watt paying for funerals it should be about the families and their loss. Watt is a humanitarian who is giving of his time and money. The media chose to make that a story, not JJ.

34. Hes making it impossible for the Texans to ever consider getting rid of him on anything other than his own terms! What a great person who has been great for that city! Good for him!

35. This is a little weird. If it was me I wouldn’t feel comfortable letting him pay for a family member’s funeral. Also, He seems to like publicizing these efforts world wide so that everyone can tell him how great he is. True charity is done without anyone knowing about it. I.E. Start up a fund through a lawyer and do it anonymously For Families that can’t afford it. It’s a good gesture but he’s really starting to come off as a glory hound.

36. somatg3 says:
    May 19, 2018 at 3:20 pm

_________________________________________________________________
    You don’t have to do it publicly.. He chooses to for his own personal glory. AS I said above, It’s a great gesture but true charity is done anonymously. All you have to do is get a Lawyer to set up a fund and take care of it. He’s looking for the world to tell him he’s the greatest again and give him the man of the year award.

37. JJ is a baller AND a great Man for his humanitarian

Have you noticed him Collin K?

38. False flag my fellow Americans.
    Until there is proof, evidence, real evidence, relax. No one has perished. Hasn’t anyone seen the obvious agenda here. We have two ongoing. One is for gun control. Thats when you hear either a white male or young white male massacres, this is blamed on guns and mental illnesses. The other is the Paris one. No evidence. Thats to sway the washable American minds so they can rationalize that we are going to war soon with Syria.
    Every “terrorist” shooting, same pattern. Drill, no evidence, no camera footage, no bodies, no tears on every”victims” loved ones. They leave a passport and ID behind. The gofundme pages begin to pop up immediately. Amd these hollow brain people do do.Who carries there passport?
    The white male shootings are for gun control. Please wake up America. Why do you think YouTube and Facebook are beginning to ban freedom of speech. Why ban a video of people talking to each other and waking up?” What are they afraid of. Meanwhile you can find beheadings and actual graphic videos but they do not want one intelligent person to another. I believe more people have waken up in past decade and are questioning everything as u should be doing. By the way, 4 corporations own all of the media programming. Used for brainwashing. Look up NDAA act of 2012. It actually states the fact that they can stage events for swaying people. And people fall for it. I have faith that more people will wake up, especially since 9/11, but so many many many unknowledgeable people believe these lies. Sad.