Terrance Williams issues statement explaining auto accident

Getty Images

Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams was arrested for public intoxication and leaving the scene of an accident. Williams has now supplied his side of the story that, as told by the authorities, involved Williams allegedly wrecking his Lamborghini into a light pole.

“I am grateful that no one was injured in the accident,” Williams said in a statement. “The driver in front of me slammed on his brakes and I turned to the left and hopped the curb to avoid hitting him. I got his insurance information and my neighbor picked me up when my car wouldn’t drive. I live right near where the accident occurred, so my neighbor dropped me off and I called a tow truck and took the scooter from my house to go meet the tow truck driver. The police officer, who I have met in the past in the neighborhood, saw me on the scooter and arrested me without performing any sobriety tests. I have always been an upstanding citizen and handled the situation the best way I know how. I apologize if I should have handled it a little bit differently.”

Williams’ lawyer, Chip Lewis, added this: “We appreciate the professionalism of all law enforcement involved in handling this situation. Contrary to media reports, Terrance did not hit a light pole and there was no light pole even near the vehicle. Secondly, his arrest was wholly unrelated to the traffic accident.”

Williams will face league scrutiny under the substance-abuse policy for the alcohol-related arrest. He’ll need to achieve full vindication in order to avoid placement in the drug-testing program or any type of discipline.

87 responses to “Terrance Williams issues statement explaining auto accident

1. Well, ya know, if you’re in an accident, you should probably call the police and wait for them to show up. But I’m sure your story of why you left is legit. 😂

2. He sure as hell looked wasted in the mugshot. Not Nick Notle wasted, but wasted.

3. DONT CARE YOUR NOT MANNING AND THIS ISNT THE giants and mara! GUILTY!
    The Nfl full of a bunch of rich idiots. P E R I O D

4. Why wouldn’t he just remain at the scene for a tow truck. Oh right because he was likely intoxicated and needed a few hours to try to sober up before returning to the scene. Similar to his buddy Dak, Intercepted.

5. Why would be exchange insurance with the other driver when he says he swerved to avoid him? If Williams did not hit him, then it doesn’t matter to the other driver.

Next step will be a fall guy Williams trots out which claims to be the other driver.

6. ‘He didn’t his a light post, and there was no light post even near the vehicle’ = He hit a telephone post

‘They arrested me without performing any sobriety tests.’ = They arrested him first for leaving the scene and then tested him, and he probably blew over.

7. Leaving the scene of an accident that occured while impaired and then operating another motorized vehicle while still impaired was the best course of action? Sounds like someone is letting the liquor do the talking.

Typical Cowboys move.

8. Let’s play this out:

The driver in front of you slammed on his brakes. You swerved to miss him (and apparently hit something). This means you were either following too closely or you weren’t paying attention. If you missed his/her car, then why do you need his/her insurance information?

You left the scene of an accident that was serious enough that your car no longer worked instead of waiting for the tow truck driver.

The officer arrested you for riding a scooter? That’s it? That’s your claim? Nothing else happened?

9. This poor guy just got into a no fault accident, called for a ride after exchanging information (with his fall guy) and went home drank 12 shots quickly and got on his bike (that he forgot could still draw a potential DUI) to head back to the scene of the accident. Makes total sense.

10. What’s the braking distance for a Lamborghini? Traveling at what speed and how closely?? Or, did something cause you to react toooooo slowwwlllyyy?

11. If the cop really arrested him with no sobriety test, why would the lawyer commend the cop for his professionalism? I’d say that’s pretty unproffessional. Unless of course, he and his lawyer are full of it.

12. If you avoided the other car then why exchange insurance info. TW, you need a better attorney, also use uber or call a friend.

13. Insurance info from car in front that isn’t involved in “accident” makes no sense. Then; why call neighbor to drive you home so you can call tow truck and drive scooter back? Why not call tow truck from your cell, the insured driver’s cell, the neighbor’ cell or onstar in the expensive vehicle. The pole hit was after jumping the curb and regardless of light or telephone pole, it is a pole. Arrest was made for public intoxication and in all likelihood, will be on tape. As will the tape at booking. Notice there was no denial of drinking in the statement.

I suspect that he just doesn’t remember the field sobriety test given. Time will tell.

14. He should have offered the other driver a fake Eli game worn jersey. Then the NFL wouldn’t even consider disciplining him.

15. thesmartest1 says:
    May 19, 2018 at 6:56 pm
    That actually makes sense

//////////////////////////

You need to change your username

16. “Nick Noles lit up the Patriots “??? TB12 threw for over 500 yards ! 500 yards!! Too bad the NFL moved the goalposts @ the Super Bowl, alowing those 2 touch downs.

17. “He was arrested for public intoxication and leaving the scene of an accident”

“his arrest was wholly unrelated to the traffic accident.”

Ummmm, counselor, did you READ the charges???

18. I’m sorry but let’s walk this back and go over what he says:

“The driver the driver ahead of me slammed on his breaks and I turned left to avoid hitting him, popped a curb and hit a pole. I got the drivers insurance info.”

Why would the driver ahead of you volunteer his insurance info for a. His car wasn’t damaged and b. The accident is your fault. So I guess you are refusing to take accountability the accident and try to pin it on someone who more than likely wasn’t there, probably a “FALL GUY” of your lawyers. Good luck trying to prove that in a court of law. Unless there is video evidence of the incident I couldn’t imagine why anyone would take responsibility for than (unless they were being paid off)

“My neighbor picked me up when my car wouldn’t drive, dropped me off and I called a tow truck and took the scooter to meet the tow truck driver.”

Ok why did you leave your car and not just call the tow truck from the scene? I’d be pretty reluctant to leave a car worth high 6 figures abondoned, damage be damned. How much time did you wait before you decided to call the tow truck?

“The police office who Knows me from the neighborhood and has met me jn the past, saw me k the scooter and arrested me. He sodjbt perform and sobriety checks.”

Why does it matter if you k is the cop or not? Are you setting it up like he has an issue with you? Maybe it had nothing to do with you leaving the scene of an accident and riding around the neighborhood in a motor scooter at 5:00 am? Maybe you knew they were coming to your home and you didn’t want to be there cause you would be totally hammered so you took off en route to your friends/neighbors hiise and were apprehended en route? Even if he didn’t give give you a fst at the scene I’m sure you blew well over at the station and leaving the scene was more than enough to arrest you on the spot.

19. thesmartest1 says:
    May 19, 2018 at 6:56 pm
    That actually makes sense.
    ——————————————————————————-———————-
    That is probably what happened. Albeit being intoxicated was left out.

20. So Williams will face NFL punishment for an incident where no one gets hurt, but a QB engaging in fraudulent financial transactions involving NFL fans and NFL equipment gets off scot-free.

That’s NFL logic for you.

21. Your forgetting in your rants that when a driver in front of you Hits his brakes and CAUSES an accident then HE must give the other driver his info. Now did the driver in front of him slam on his brakes because of a animal crossing the road maybe like a deer? Who knows? Second if he couldnt find his phone during the accident that makes sense. Heck half of us cant find our phone sober, when phones fall through the seats. Third I would in a heart beat go back to meet the tow truck driver to get my car back ESPECIALLY a Lamborghini. Then the cop whom knows him (kinda) did him a break by non field testing him.

Still he’s a BONEHEAD! Guns Dont kill people Bad people kill Innocent people. Cars Dont kill people Drunk drivers kill Innocent people.
    Spoons Dont make you fat, and pencils Dont make mistakes! P E O P L E

22. Stop it everyone.
    Williams is doing what everyone in the world does. Lying like crazy because the truth is worse.
    If we all had NSA knowledge of everyone’s misdeeds, we would all be very sad. Lying works and worst case scenario is you get what you had coming anyway. Just smile and know, if you aint lying, you ain’t trying.

23. This is actually brilliant strategy by the attorney. Because the story is easily flagged as BS, you guys are all focused on poking holes in it, when you should be concentrating on the last sentence of the lawyer’s statement.

“Secondly, his arrest was wholly unrelated to the traffic accident.”

This tells me that they are trotting this BS story out there to direct focus away from the reason for the arrest. If they are going with the “lost control of the Lamborghini” story where booze is likely involved, what are they trying to distract from?

This is where Florio needs to dig.

24. In Jon Lovett voice: “Yeah. That’s the ticket!”

Sorry, but this just screams that he was “impaired” in some way AND that he was in possession of something that he did NOT want the Police to see. Makes me wonder what a search of him home would find.

25. When I broke a glass in my kitchen I walked to the living room, put on my roller blades had a dozen shots and went to clean up all of the broken glass on the floor ……………………………………………Yeah, I’d say his situation is totally plausible.

26. He needs to use the “2 helmets that can pass for game used” excuse to get off without suspension. Works every time.

27. If the cop really arrested him with no sobriety test, why would the lawyer commend the cop for his professionalism? I’d say that’s pretty unproffessional. Unless of course, he and his lawyer are full of it.
    *******””
    It’s another carefully crafted statement from the attorney. The Cop could have tried numerous tests and Williams just refused to preform any sobriety tests. The cop had to make a decision and “arrested him without preforming any sobriety tests”

28. You can always tell when an agent or lawyer writes a statement for these guys. The Cowboys should move on from this clown anyways. He drops way too many crucial passes.

29. So instead of being busted for driving a Lamborghini while intoxicated, he’s busted for driving a scooter while intoxicated?

30. eagles1960 says:
    May 19, 2018 at 10:09 pm
    A cowboy riding a little scooter, so funny. LMAO I believe you…

No difference then an eagle winning A (ONE) 1 super bowl AFTER 60 YEARS! LMFAO I believe you …

31. They arrested him because he was a black man riding a bike at 4:45am. Let’s just call like it is and all take a knee for him.

32. i like how he has manufactured a reasonable explanation for every shady move he made lol…he even found a Chris Carter “fall guy” (the driver who slammed on his brakes)

33. I wonder if his lawyer moonlights as a fiction writer because I don’t believe any of what he said other than his car hit the pole. The rest of his story is all a bunch of Oscar Mayer bologna.

34. Hopefully he submitted to a bac. However I have seen
    many a person not submit for many reasons. Foremost is
    the presence of other drugs like weed. Many people don’t
    realize they should submit as long as the other drug was
    inhaled etc. in a long enough time for it to not effect ones
    ability to operate a vehicle in a safe fashion.
    If Williams did submit to a test and his version of facts
    is accurate he could be ok. However there is always some
    screwup …so let’s see.

35. This fan of the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles hopes the punishment is swift and severe. The Cowboys lack of team discipline and accountability must be stopped.

36. A similar thing actually happened to a friend of mine before the age of cell phones. He lost control of his car on a rainy day and ran onto the median hitting a traffic sign. It was his first accident, he was nervous and didn’t know what to do. He walked to a nearby fast food place to call his aunt for help. A group of us went to the fast food place to pick him up because we didn’t know exactly where the car was. After picking him up, he directed us back to where his car was and there was a cop waiting to arrest him on site assuming he was driving drunk and left the scene of an accident to sober up.

37. kevpft says:
    May 19, 2018 at 9:01 pm

That’s NFL logic for you.

————-

Let’s be fair here. What Eli got away with shows the blatant favoritism and cronyism that defines Goodell’s reign as NFL Commissioner. That said, what Eli did in no way caused potential physical threat to others. Williams could have injured or killed someone. What he did is far more serious and he should be held accountable for his actions.

38. First, in the state of Texas, if you are pulled over, regardless of the vehicle being driven, and refuse to take a field sobriety test, such as a breath analysis, you will be arrested on the spot and have your license confiscated. That is the law. Second, why would the driver in the other vehicle, which allegedly slammed on the brakes–perhaps to avoid hitting an animal, or maybe because a third vehicle in front of him slammed on the brakes for the same or another reason–exchange insurance information with Williams? He did not cause the accident and his vehicle was not damaged; he had no liability whatsoever. Third, if there was a second driver who gave Williams his insurance information, then surely the police have his contact information as well and can easily corroborate this story.

None of it makes any sense. Williams lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a pole. Maybe another driver saw the accident in his rear view mirror and stopped to make sure Williams was not injured. But if that were the case, why would he exchange insurance information with him? Why did this other driver not call the police to report an accident? What, he stopped, exchanged insurance information with Williams for an accident he was not involved in, and just drove away?

Then this mysterious neighbor shows up to drive Williams home. Well, the police are certainly going to interview him, and he might be charged with failing to report an accident, as might the other driver as well. Williams calls a tow truck from his house and rides an electric bike back to the scene of the accident. There is a record of that call. Did the tow truck show up while Williams was being arrested?

Look, my mother drives a Malibu; it has OnStar. That’s a low-end car, costs $25,000. Last year, she was making a left turn and some stupid woman ran a red light and crashed into her car. Thankfully, no one was injured. Immediately, OnStar called her cell phone, because the satellite system detected a collision. It also called Farmer’s. An insurance representative arrived at the scene before the police! You cannot tell me that kind of technology and insurance is not available on a high end sports car that costs $250,000.

This has got to be the lamest excuse for leaving the scene of and failing to report an accident I’ve ever heard.

39. Not sure where people get the idea that it couldn’t possibly be the fault of the other driver. There are many situations in which no collision of cars occurs yet fault can be assigned to one driver for in some way influencing the other. In fact this happened to me, I was inching out to make a left turn in heavy traffic and a motorcyclist saw me and thought I was going to hit him and popped his breaks and went flying over the handlebars. He was in bad shape. I had to stick around for over an hour until police finally found a witness that affirmed I had been inching out carefully and the other guy was driving waaay too fast.

Anyway I am not defending Terrance Williams here. Just pointing out how ignorant many of the posters here are.

40. vancouversportsbro says:
    May 19, 2018 at 6:54 pm
    Don’t let this distract you from the fact that Nick Foles lit up the Patriots in the biggest game of the year

Obsession is incurable

41. Nuts like this do not need to be driving fast expensive cars while on the ignorant oil ot whatever and the first thing he does is go and get a mouthpiece. A 10 game suspension would probably be appropriate but that would send Jerruh Jones through the roof. The Cowboys are a joke anyway.

42. and if you believe this story I have some ocean front property in Lexington, KY that while a bit pricey is still a great value!

43. Wrecking a 100k Lamborghini and spending the night in jail should be punishment enough. No one was hurt.

44. I don’t “buy” his story…it doesn’t make sense –
    Somebody brakes suddenly in front of me & lose control of my $100,000 car
    and smash a light pole!
    Ok – gotta few questions :
    WHY did you leave the scene of an ACCIDENT?
    WHY did he need the OTHER guys insurance?
    WHY would go home & ride your scooter back to the scene INTOXICATED?
    HOW much are you paying your neighbor to cover your “story”?
    Nothing about this makes any sense UNLESS Terrance Williams was ALREADY tanked!

45. @stucats

Yup ! It is all Yak Prescott’s fault because Yak Prescott absolutely STINKS !

46. If they make a new Andy Griffith Show, Williams should audition for the part of “Otis”.

47. In most states leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage of $1,000 or more is a crime, even if it’s your own property damage. His vehicle couldn’t be driven? Yeah, that’s bad damage.

OBTW, why did the other driver exchange insurance info with Terrance if there was no contact between the two vehicles? And if the other vehicle stopped short and Terrance couldn’t avoid hitting him except by leaving the roadway then Terrance was either following too closely or was inattentive, both traffic violations.

His story is complete bull.

48. He crashed because he was chasing a Dak overthrow out of bounds.

49. For those of you so insistent that the other driver can’t possibly be at fault, please test that theory next time a police car is behind you by jamming on the brakes to a complete stop. Even if the officer does not hit your car, do you really think that officer won’t then pull you over? And if the officer happens to hit you, would you expect an apology and maybe financial compensation from the law enforcement agency?

The other driver in this instance was not so ignorant as you. The driver recognized they would possibly be liable for leaving the scene, and so mitigated that risk by exchanging their information instead of having Williams report their license plate # and sending the police to find them.

Again, not defending Williams, AT ALL. He’s clearly an idiot and deserves the full attention of law enforcement and the resulting application of justice. I trust that justice system because, as imperfect as it can be at times, it is never so myopic as, say, a bunch of clueless drones on a comments board.

50. Hes lying of course. But nice story by the lawyer. But for all of you reasoning that he wouldn’t need insurance info from the other driver because he swerved to avoid him, you don’t know the law. If another driver “impeded his progress” by braking unnecessarily or pulling in front of him, then that driver can be partially at fault. So, its not that bad an angle to take by the lawyer. We’ll see how it works…

51. tommymomoney says:
    May 19, 2018 at 7:14 pm

——————————————————-

yeah, good thing he doesn’t work in a profession where he’ll be asked about it at every opportunity until the season starts

52. buckstalion12965 says:

May 19, 2018 at 7:30 pm

—————-
    Good call, nice pick up!