Report: Owners discussing 15-yard penalties for kneeling during anthem

Getty Images

NFL owners continue to discuss how to handle player protests during the national anthem. Do they allow each team to make its own decision? Do they keep all players in the locker room during the national anthem? Do they require all players to stand? Do they do nothing?

According to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated, owners also are discussing whether to leave it up to the home team whether teams come out for the anthem but with a caveat: Teams could be assessed 15-yard penalties for players kneeling.

The reaction to the idea on social media was both brisk and negative.

Owners have talked about the issue since the end of the season. They will continue to discuss it, with a resolution not expected Tuesday, according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Some owners, including Jerry Jones, have remained firm in their belief that all players should stand for the national anthem. The Cowboys are one of only a handful of teams that have not had a player kneel during the anthem.

“Everyone knows my position on that,” Jones said two weeks ago. “And so we’ll give the kind of sensitivity and thought and discussion that it deserves, and we’ll come up with a league-wide, going forward, position. But I reiterate that everybody knows where I stand on it.”

146 responses to “Report: Owners discussing 15-yard penalties for kneeling during anthem

1. 5 yards for sticking your tongue out at someone
    10 Yards for giving the evil-eye
    Ejection for hurting someone’s feelings..

Do Millennial’s have to ruin everything?

2. This is a painfully stupid idea and anyone who supports it should be thrown out of the league

3. Players can do what they want on their own time, but when you are at your job you have to do what your boss says. If you don’t like it then don’t work there.

4. This is ridiculous. There have to be dozens of items in the CBA that owners and players can change to allow a new one that forbids kneeling and make this all go away.

A team that has been around forever and in a large market just wont the super bowl for the first time in forever and we are still talking more about this crap subject.

5. I personally wouldn’t consider protesting by kneeling during the anthem, but punishing someone’s right (as confirmed by the NFL and the CBA) with a penalty on the field doesn’t seem right.

6. Why are we letting this illegitimate, foreign-hostile-government-crime-lord installed, traitor influence our GREATEST freedom? PLEASE someone. Explain to me why this traitor is overriding our greatest freedom?

7. The NBA mandates ALL their players stand for the Anthem. It is a no-brainer decision that the NFL do the same, but the Commissioner is a man of very limited intellect so who knows what will happen.

8. If they don’t like it, leave the country. I’m sure the CFL will take them. If you want to kneel, go for it, but you better be doing something about it on your dime and your time.

9. Reading all the news from the NFL had me looking at my calendar. I was convinced it was April the First today!!!!

Sadly it seems I was dreaming. You cannot make this stuff up its ridiculous

10. Just when this story starts to fade away these genius owners insist on bringing it back to life.

11. Gotta force grown men to stand up for a song that you’re getting paid millions and millions of dollars to even be singing in the first place!

What a bunch of fake patriot BS

12. “If they don’t like it, leave the country. I’m sure the CFL will take them. If you want to kneel, go for it, but you better be doing something about it on your dime and your time.”

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This makes no sense… sorry. Btw, Canada is a wonderful place

13. “If they don’t like it, leave the country. ”

Ie if I disagree with you exercising your constitutional rights then get out of here. They said the same thing to the Viet Nam War protestors who turned out to be right years later when Robert Macnamara admitted that the government was well aware they sent those kids to die there knowing full well they would never win that war.

I’m a 59 year old white guy but I can see plainly the discrimination not just against African Americans and other minorities, but also against the poor in general is very common here. Egged on constantly by the fascist in chief.

14. chiefsfolife says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:23 pm
    Yeah…why pay respect to the country that’s provided you everything you possess and the opportunity to get it.
    —-
    “If you’re black, America’s like the uncle that paid your way through college — but molested you.” –Chris Rock

15. What exactly is social justice? there is not a universal standard nor is their any way to rate the standard and how it’s being improved. tis exactly why the country is divided on it and will be forever.

16. Roger Goodell: “Well, I don’t think there’s anyway we could’ve handled the kneeling issue any worse than we did last year…”

Owners: “Hold our Scotches…”

17. Given the high unpopularity of Trump, the forthcoming blue wave in the November elections, and the impending impeachment of Trump for collusion with the Russians, the NFL needs to see how the wind is blowing and instead honor players for their social activism instead of robbing them of their livelihood. I am tired of Trump and the NFL needs to stand up to that bully.

18. My god. I can’t believe I live somewhere where people are dumb enough to care about this so much. This is just idiotic. Forced patriotism is the opposite of freedom, you bozos. If you choose to revere man-made, unnatural entities like governments, knock yourself out. Maybe artificially-gained comfort and safety supersede adhering to the natural order of life to you and you don’t want to live the lives nature intended for us. I selectively cherrypick those indulgences myself too at times, hand up. But I keep a lid on the crazy and don’t acknowledge anything not made by nature as a governing body. No other species on the planet thinks there’s such a thing as America, Canada, North Korea, Russia, wherever. There’s just land until you hit water. Those are the borders I acknowledge. Otherwise, you’re basically claiming that humans own the world and everything else just lives in it, and if you can’t see where that’s certifiably insane, buddy, there’s no saving you, you’re too far gone.

My question to all of you: why in the world does this matter to you so much? Literally nobody is physically harmed by these actions. Not one iota. Supposed “disrespect” causes ZERO harm, even though everyone involved is shouting from the rooftops that that’s not at all what it’s about, yet you feel the right to tell these men what their own words and actions mean, and that is CRAZY. Be an individual, you do not owe your existence to anyone but your parents. There’s such a thing as having TOO MUCH respect, particularly when it comes to authority figures you never asked for who are living, breathing humans no better than you or I. Nothing in the world blows my mind as much as the vast majority of people agreeing to voluntarily live that way. Just absolutely insane, yet they’d probably try to tell you I’M the crazy one. Just lmao.

19. [quote]mikejune says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:29 pm
    If you’re against kneeling, you’re against freedom. There is no way around it[/quote]

No, I’m for freedom to kneel, and I’m also for each team’s right to penalize players for doing so.

That way, everyone gets to express how they feel.

20. When I wear my employers uniform, and I am engaged in the work I get paid to do as a representative of my employer’s business, and I choose to express my own personal political views while on the clock, and those views result in a negative impact on my employers business, I expect to be disciplined, and if I continue to do it, I expect to be fired. I don’t see what is so hard to understand about that, but judging by the thumbs up/down on prior posts, a significant number of fans here feel like you should be able to do kind of thing on your employers dime, and trade on your employers reputation, and put their business in jeopardy. Sign of the times I guess.

21. Maybe teams could follow the Steelers model and cower in the tunnel until all the scary music and flags are gone.

22. These owners are all such cowards. Why are they scared of players? The players have no leverage.

23. Some of the people commenting here are starting to scare me. The kneeling is not a knock against American. The kneeling is for what is occurring on a daily basis in America. The never ending hate crimes & racism. Police brutality. Police corruption. Government corruption. The complete lack of action taken with all these school shootings because of all the money the NRA supplies to the government. THAT MORON IN THE WHITE HOUSE. How you can buy alcohol where you fuel your vehicle despite the gross number of drunk driving deaths every year, but marajuana is illegal. Endless sexual harassment by men in power. CHRIST shall I continue?

But yes America is great. Truly. But there are endless reasons to kneel. I served in the military, & I take ZERO offense to the kneeling. It’s not like the military isn’t corrupt or dishonest either. So PLEASE….to all you BLIND STUPID IDIOTS out there….your complaint is that by not kneeling is disrespectful to America & the military because otherwise we wouldn’t have certain RIGHTS. One of which is the RIGHT TO KNEEL. So for the love of Jim Kelly & my Buffalo Bills please stop contradicting yourself. Our rights are fought for, but when we use those rights we now have to pick & choose which ones?

I SWEAR I HOPE EVERY PLAYER ON EVERY TEAM KNEELS & every fan in the stadium stands up turns their backs during the anthem.

24. If they want the kneeling players to stand, they should use a stun gun on them. The NFL can always claim the players were approaching them “threateningly” and then say they were “resisting arrest.” Heck, ask Sterling Brown who fans believe when the police make those claims.

25. Any fool who wants to censor someone from kneeling before the flag and anthem, has ZERO idea of what the flag and anthem stand for. Seriously, I think these faux patriots should take a basic civics class.

26. harrisonhits2 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:38 pm
    “If they don’t like it, leave the country. ”
    ———————————
    no one is saying that they don’t have a right to protest, just not while on the clock.
    i’m a 49 year old white guy and it blows my mind how discriminated against white folk are.
    when my kid doesn’t get into a college even though his grades are better than a black or Hispanic kid… that is discrimination as well.

27. I don’t know what the penalty should be but the NBA doesn’t allow it, surprisingly, and neither should the NFL. Leave your political statements for off the field. Period

28. Your employer has it right to say no to you making political statements at work. Period. No one says you have to put your hand on your heart. But show some damn respect and stand up. The NBA does not allow it. The NFL shouldn’t either and should’ve killed this mess as soon as it started.
    And the people talking about Trumps approval…. He’s at 50%…and that’s with 24/7 hatred from the media and Hollywood. He’s got plenty of support, not that he has anything to do with this issue.

29. Funny how some people don’t seem to understand that the extreme reaction they have toward players kneeling for the anthem is exactly what gives the protest any power in the first place.

Do you get just as mad when people don’t stand for the anthem when watching on TV?

Do you get just as mad when people fail to put their hand over their heart during the anthem.

Do you get just as mad when the NFL spreads massive flags out flat over the field even though it is improper to carry an American flag that way?

If you insist that the Flag Code is a mandate for every American citizen then at least don’t be a hypocrite about it.

That is beside the point that Flag Code are merely guidelines for proper etiquette. If you think people take etiquette that seriously I can point you to thousands of comments on this website that beg to differ.

30. Chris Nigro says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:59 pm
    ——————————–
    Ok, c’mon now, tell us your real name! Is this you Al, or maybe Jeremiah, nah, it’s gotta be Louis!

31. lanman11 says:
    ———
    Funny how the owners would rather talk about anthem protests than brain injuries.

So if you witness sexual harassment at work, do you stay quiet because the topic is too political? (isn’t that the way you guys have been responding to sexual harassment since … forever)

Papa John’s complained that the NFL’s protests were costing them money. Turned out the problem is that they make lousy pizza. Same goes with players kneeling. If a team is playing well, they won’t have a problem selling out games.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. No one swears an oath to defend the flag or the anthem. They swear to defend the Constitution.

32. Chris Nigro says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:59 pm
    __________________________________

^ Now that’s an real American right there.

33. I love it! In time, after someone has constantly done this and shown he will cost his team yardage, they will have a real reason to cut him and hopefully run them out of the league. Do your protesting on your own time. Not at the hands of the employer paying you millions. And not in a way that ticks off the thousands of fans who just want to enjoy the preciously little time off they get compared to these players. Not knocking anyone for protesting. Fight for what you believe in. But there is a time and a place for it. And if I have come to realize anything since all of this started, it’s that these protesting players are turning people off from the causes they seek to inspire.

34. Hi – here’s a solution; how about you don’t make a dopey sportsball entertainment game into a nationalist ritual just because you have a captive audience and a desire to make them proclaim their patriotism all the time?

35. mikejune says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:29 pm
    If you’re against kneeling, you’re against freedom. There is no way around it.

Only an SJW would spew nonsense like this. If you’re not standing during the Anthem, you’re the one who opposes freedom and has the wrong idea regarding patriotism.

Plus, the people screaming free speech regarding the Anthem protests refuse to support the free speech rights of conservatives. They refuse to defend the free speech rights of people like Ben Shapiro, Steven Crowder, Bret Weinstein, Kaitlin Bennett, the NRA, the girl who wore the Chinese dress to prom, and the guy who got harassed at the cheesecake factory. Talk about hypocrisy.

36. Because OF COURSE a group of right wing billionaire Trump supporters would make fascist laws to deny the Constitutional rights of people to peacefully protest. OH and all you who agree, please don’t forget to brag about what patriots you all are for approving of it.

37. Do it on your own time, not at work. Blah blah blah, and then some more nonsense. Their “job” starts at kickoff. So, technically, THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN TIME.

38. Enough with calling this a free speech issue. You do NOT have free speech at work. Go make a political statement at your work tomorrow and let us know how it goes

39. This has to be fake news. Then again, before President Dennyson, I could tell the difference between Saturday Night Live and real White House press briefings. Nowadays, it seems the press briefings are a parody of late night television. Im quite ready for some football.

40. chiefsfolife says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:23 pm

______________________________________________________________________________

Can’t believe after all this time some people still don’t know what the protest is for. And yet they comment like they do.

41. Maybe we could stop pretending there’s any reason why we need to play the national anthem before a football game in the first place? Everybody so obsessed with “it’s your job”, “your employer bla bla”. We don’t sing the national anthem or say the pledge of allegiance before starting work at my job, it’s not because we hate the troops or whatever star spangled sensibilities are getting everyone’s panties in a twist. It’s because it would be a super weird way to start our day in our line of work, much like kicking off the day with a prayer would be weird. The only reason we do this is because “it’s tradition” – which isn’t a reason unless you hate thinking and prefer feeling.

I honestly don’t care what players are doing during the national anthem and even if people do want it at the start of a game, great – just don’t show the players on the telecast. Stop making it a story. Not one thing about this is serious or important, it’s a fun game we tune in to watch (and bet on!). The troops need veterans benefits and politicians who don’t want to prove their a badass by sending other people’s kids to die. They don’t need a linebacker to stand up.

I really like watching football. I bet you guys do too. The rest of this is just silliness.

42. Maybe we could stop pretending there’s any reason why we need to play the national anthem before a football game in the first place? Everybody so obsessed with “it’s your job”, “your employer bla bla”. We don’t sing the national anthem or say the pledge of allegiance before starting work at my job, it’s not because we hate the troops or whatever star spangled sensibilities are getting everyone’s panties in a twist. It’s because it would be a super weird way to start our day in our line of work, much like kicking off the day with a prayer would be weird. The only reason we do this is because “it’s tradition” – which isn’t a reason unless you hate thinking and prefer feeling.

I honestly don’t care what players are doing during the national anthem and even if people do want it at the start of a game, great – just don’t show the players on the telecast. Stop making it a story. Not one thing about this is serious or important, it’s a fun game we tune in to watch (and bet on!). The troops need veterans benefits and politicians who don’t want to prove they’re a badass by sending other people’s kids to die. They don’t need a linebacker to stand up.

43. I still haven’t gotten the memo of why the Anthem is played before games anyway. Let’s review where you hear the Anthem or Pledge.

1) Elementary school.
    2) Military events.
    3) Sporting events.

I’m all for indoctrinating kids into loving America (flaws and all) and the military is also both obvious and appropriate. But uh, why do I need to hear someone sing (with varying skill) the Anthem because I decided to sit down and watch some grown men throw some balls around for 60 minutes and spend another 2 hours sitting around for commercials to happen?

44. 5 yards for sticking your tongue out at someone
    10 Yards for giving the evil-eye
    Ejection for hurting someone’s feelings..

Do Millennial’s have to ruin everything?
    ————————————

Millenial’s?! Try Republicans.

45. kenflood says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:24 pm

—————————-

Delusional. Everything you just said was demonstrably false.

As a lifelong Democrat, I’ll let you in on a dirty secret.

Both parties have been selling us down the river for decades. The people engaged in the crime are going after Trump, who has done nothing. Get it?

The people who repealed Glass-Steagall, passed NAFTA, NDAA, spied on everyone, launched illegal wars, so on and so forth.

Direct your anger where it needs to go, not at the person who did NONE of it.

46. I love reading all the comments from people that never served and want to blame the president for anything !

47. lorimoreau says:

May 22, 2018 at 6:33 pm

chiefsfolife says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:23 pm

______________________________________________________________________________

//////////////////////

The protest is for the accusation of police brutality. So do tell us what the reason for kneeling during the National Anthem of the United States has to do with that?

48. Make it mandatory to stand if on the field, but allow teams to decide to stay in the locker room or allow individual players to stay. If anyone protests, fine or suspend them. If teams encourage or condone protests, fine them or take away draft picks.

49. Birdwatcher

What have republicans done for you to write that comment. Maybe kaep can be your son. Maybe you can support me. Thats the dem way right.

50. derekgorgonstar says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:58 pm

———————————————
    The owners aren’t “scared” of the players. The owners know, without the players, there would be no NFL.

51. I don’t have an issue with players kneeling but I am not a fan either. I would not be a fan of getting a 15-yard penalty for a player kneeling during the national anthem at all. This is up there on the dumbest ideas of all time list.

52. The People that paid money to watch grown man run around after a ball are crazy. Blacks especially, should never support sports in ameriKKKa…. Because it is only profiting old white men. If you really want change ameriKKKa. Then you must though off the shackles of white society. Just think if blacks stop watch, buying and supporting sports. The NFL owners would make every team kneel before games….

53. You can tell who has a job. LOL. All the liberals are commenting here during the day. As soon as people who get off work get here, the comments go the other way.

54. The reaction to the idea on social media was both brisk and negative.
    ============================================================

What, the CNN twitter feed? Or what? You failed to say. lol you aren’t fooling anyone. You know you represent the minority opinion.

55. lorimoreau says:

May 22, 2018 at 6:33 pm

chiefsfolife says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:23 pm

______________________________________________________________________________

//////////////////////

The protest is about the unfounded accusations of police brutality, much like Michael Bennett’s accusations. What does that have to do with the National Anthem?

56. I have my own penalty for kneeling during the anthem. I TURN THE TV OFF! That is it, I won’t watch the game after I see that stuff. I cut my NFL viewing by over half last year and I am willing to take it to ZERO. If my team EVER signs Colon Kaepernic, I will NEVER watch another game. Get it? He is a pretend martyr. He has never been discriminated against, and most of this garbage about poor black guys being persecuted is bs.

57. republicans v democrats
    right v left
    red v blue
    bleh v bluh

Knock it off with this meaningless tribal nonsense. It’s only purpose is to pit people against each other and distract them from meaningful issues that can only be solved by coming together.

58. willycents says:
    May 22, 2018 at 6:53 pm

And you can prove that how might I ask?

59. jdubkc says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:14 pm
    5 yards for sticking your tongue out at someone
    10 Yards for giving the evil-eye
    Ejection for hurting someone’s feelings..

Do Millennial’s have to ruin everything?

————————–

This isn’t the Millenials, they don’t even watch this sport very much. This is the good old Baby Boomers who want you to think everything they did was great.

60. A country built on protesting an oppressive government now wants to punish you for the reason it was created.

61. briang123 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:48 pm

_____________________
    How do you breathe in that bubble of delusion? Seriously. Democrat Party is at near 90 year lows nationally in seats at State/Fed/Governors, the DNC is broke and exposed as having rigged the Primary against Bernie, and under TRUMP’s cuts of Obama’s job-killing taxes and regs that US has the LOWEST EVER Black unemployment rate and 3.9% for everyone else. Who would vote Democrat?

If you want to bet on what you just wrote, I’ll take the other side for as much as you want. President TRUMP is on the right side of this issue and you’re not.

62. footballinla says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:33 pm
    Go back to the 2009 rules: teams stay in locker room till after the anthem!

——————–

And give back the relatively small amount of tax dollars the D.o.D. wasted on giving to the NFL in order to solve an issue pissing off a large percentage of the fan base?

Goodell will never do it. Makes way too much sense.

63. How long before kickoff (you know…the start of the actual game???) does the anthem start? 12 minutes? 16 minutes?

Are you also going to assess in game penalties for the following week for players or coaches that blow off or are rude to the press 12-16 minutes after the game?

What’s the penalty for eating a hot dog during a tv timeout when you play the Chargers?

64. briang123 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:48 pm
    ————————-
    Haha!
    It’s going to be a very cold end of the year for those that think like this. When will reality finally set in for some of you? The democrats have at best a chance to pick up a hand full of House seats. More likely is another big victory for Republicans and a mandate for the President.
    Here’s one for the left: So these players can speak their minds on any unrelated topic to their work in any way they choose including kneeling, but the POTUS cannot say as he pleases? If he’s so illegitimate, then what influence are you afraid of? If he’s so unpopular, then why care?

I will wait and in the meantime if you’re a lifelong democrat, leftist, progressive, or general idiot do yourself a favor: Take November 7 off work, buy your favorite trendy alcohol, and have yourselves a good cry, you’ll need it.

65. Just fine the offending player 1 million bucks each time they do it.
    Donate the money to a vet charity.
    I’ll bet it stops very quickly.

66. glen1945 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:58 pm
    How about the networks don’t show the players during the anthem, problem solved.

24 12 Rate This

——————

exactly, but i will tell you why:

the owners are trying to mask the real reason for a decline in ratings as this issue, which is obviously hilarious and a lie.

the ratings decline is tied to the unreal amount of baggage the nfl fan has to absorb just to get through a season without controversy aka manufactured controversy because of cheating owners and a cheating commissioner, caught numerous times doing so over the past 10 years.

they don’t want you to learn this truth and reality, so they banging this kneeling drum.

67. BuckyBadger says:
    May 22, 2018 at 7:08 pm
    jdubkc says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:14 pm
    5 yards for sticking your tongue out at someone
    10 Yards for giving the evil-eye
    Ejection for hurting someone’s feelings..

Do Millennial’s have to ruin everything?

————————–

2 3 Rate This

——————/

Nah.

This is for
    Millennials as much as bigoted, angry white old men that voted for trump

this is for politically correct 5th place Millennials, who love to do faux outrage and play fantasy football which is who goodell’s future focus and demographic is

do the math..gambling, fantasy football partnerships, the vegas raiders, international expansion, etc

gotta make the nfl brand all pretty and marketable to the crybaby snowflakes

the best is when their best friend goodell is caught cheating and they still applaud it

68. Absolutely moronic idea.

A fine is sufficient should the team find it worthy of such.

69. Let’s just give the kids $90M worth of cookies when they won’t behave. Goodell is such a sheep when he actually has to deal with people. He prefers to just make up his own story and go with it.

70. tylawspick6 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 8:09 pm
    glen1945 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:58 pm

24 12 Rate This

——————

exactly, but i will tell you why:

////////////////////////////

Amazing theory, tell us, how many shooters on the grassy knoll?

71. How are so many people, so dumb? Here it is plain and simple: They have the right to take a knee during the anthem! That is not “Un-patriotic.” They are also subject to deal with the consequences of their actions by others including their bosses. That is not “racist.” Yes it is disrespecting veterns by kneeling even though you mean no disrespect. Its like running into a church screaming about the importance spaying and neutering your animals during the sermon. You dont mean to disrespect by getting your message out, but you are.

72. Given the high unpopularity of Trump, the forthcoming blue wave in the November elections, and the impending impeachment of Trump for collusion with the Russians, the NFL needs to see how the wind is blowing and instead honor players for their social activism instead of robbing them of their livelihood. I am tired of Trump and the NFL needs to stand up to that bully

____________

Have you been under a rock or just watch cnn 24/7? Blue wave have you been seeing the polls? Looks like that wave petered out. Russia collusion are you kidding? 18 months with nothing other than actual proof coming out that the previous adminstration colluded to undermine Trump with phony reports, informants sent in to report about Trump and the continued msm bs.

Reward for social activism? Based on a false narrative from hands up dont shoot and a hypocrite who admires Castro. The players are hired to do a job just like most here. Grandstanding is not allowed so it has nothing to do with their livelihood.

73. This would have and should have never been a issue if the NFL and its owners never got greedy in 2009 and had the Department of Defense pay them to “stage” the National Anthem. Just go back to the way it was before 2009 when players stayed in the locker room and the issues will end it self.

74. 110 responses, most of them against the protests and Colin Kaepernick directly, yet not one single reference of Roseanne.

Did we all forget?

Did we all forget how she ridiculed our troops and our country and our flag by mocking our national anthem? Remember? She purposely sang off-key/horrible, spit during the rendition and capped it off by grabbing her crotch and making a face.

Why is there no outrage directed at Roseanne? Why is it only directed at players like Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick.

It’s not because she is a woman who is whi…. nah. It couldn’t be that. There’s gotta be a more logical reason than that!

75. Ah, ah, ah, there it is!! Collusion! The owners are considering this as a way to keep Colin Kaepernick off of any NFL roster. Someone wake up Kaepernick’s lawyers!

76. I see the Soros paid bloggers are out agaIn; full of hatred as always.
    The NBA requires players to stand for the National Anthem. The players are encouraged to make “social justice statements” on their own time. The NFL should do likewise.

77. These owners who want to stop free speech have seemed to have forgotten that TAXPAYER MONEY has paid for their stadiums. So yeah, I’m going to state my opinion. Socialism when it benefits them, capitalism when they want to make their profits. Anyone who condemns the players, can piss off. ‘Murica!

78. jdubkc says:

Do Millennial’s have to ruin everything?
    =============
    These are old billionaires. What do millennial’s have to do with it?

79. When someone can tell me why we must have the National Anthem before every game, I will be happy to reconsider my feeling toward kneeling/standing. How many non-sporting events play the anthem? Rock concerts, awards shows, Broadway musicals, grand openings, blockbuster movies…all anthem-free. I know, I know, many of the above-mentioned events are favored slightly more by liberals, but how about golf? Does someone sing the National Anthem before you play a round of golf? I used to stand for the anthem always. Now that it has been co-opted by the right into a litmus test for how conservative one is, I will stay seated. I have served my country, and I work to make people’s lives better. I don’t need to participate in hollow patriotic posturing, aimed at nothing else than to divide us.

80. I like 15 yards for every player with a knee down. 20 players kneeling would be the equivalent to 300 yards in penalties before the game began, and this put the team down 21 points.

81. Nice to see Jerrah is worrying about the important things instead of worrying about putting together a team that can win a playoff game.

82. Relatively easy way to solve the whole issue – but we need a LEGIT charity first. A charity that we can all agree does GOOD work, and for the benefit of ALL (no racial biases). Something like The Humane Society, but for people of course.
    Find..whatever charity and then….

IF the player feels strongly enough about it – fine – they can kneel – and automatically donate 10 grand to the charity.

83. When you allow liberalism to enter your place of business; where it has no place, the end result will always be disaster.

84. “The reaction to the idea on social media was both brisk and negative.”

Brisk, yes. But negative is a subjective term.

85. meccalambeaufield3 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 8:57 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Glad to see not all of us are tricked by the proganda machine.

86. 6thsense10 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:39 pm
    chiefsfolife says:
    May 22, 2018 at 5:23 pm
    —-

Chris said a few things about a segment of his race as well. Do you also take those words as Gospel?

To those who want to throw out the red herring that people at home aren’t standing, there’s a huge difference between not standing while the anthem is playing and you are in your own private home and proactively doing something on national television that you know is going to irritate people over a false flag. The kneeling only started after the benching. The others were just happy to jump on the “we hate white people” wagon. Yes, even the misguided white ones. Bought into the lie they did and it’s quite sad but not surprising that they are so easily led bu the nose.

87. randon in Northwest Suburbia says:
    May 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Heartburn

88. Some amazing posts, many by the ill-informed…

Disrespect of the flag and/or veterans? Really? As a veteran myself, and one who is able to read and absorb information, I find it humorous (though sad) that most of the “patriots” posting on here have no idea where the kneeling idea came from. See, when Kaepernick initially started his silent protest, it was by sitting during the anthem. Somebody found this to be less than ideal and proposed he instead kneel. So, who was that person? Why, it was a Green Beret veteran, Nate Boyer. I’m sure all of you are far more patriotic than SSG Boyer and care far more about veterans. Yeah, right.

Back when this country was in revolution, there were plenty of people referred to as “sunshine patriots” – that’s kind of what I see here. Hey, you don’t want to kneel during the anthem? Don’t. But this is ridiculous…when will we start criticizing HOW somebody stands, or doesn’t keep their eyes on the flag, or doesn’t put their right hand over the correct place? When will those complaining of the kneeling start asking why people wear the flag or fly it improperly? To me, all this seems to really be is an opportunity for some people to pound their chest and proclaim how much better of an American they are than people they disagree with…our founders would puke.

89. sllabskcustfpk says:
    May 22, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Did we all forget?

What on earth are you talking about? She was lambasted for that stunt. Sorry to burst your hate bubble.

90. None of this would have happened if the Orange Idiot in DC had kept his big mouth shut. Kap and his buds would have been the only ones who would have done it and it would have petered out by now. But no, the Contard Clown just had to shoot off his yap and get his idiot followers all worked up. Nice going, Trumpy Bear!

91. townie45 says:
    May 22, 2018 at 9:46 pm

I see the Soros paid bloggers are out agaIn; full of hatred as always.
    ——————————————————
    Soros paid us?? When?? Where’s my damn check??

92. donth8mecauseimwhite says:
    May 23, 2018 at 9:32 am
    sllabskcustfpk says:
    May 22, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Did we all forget?

– –

Nothing happened to Roseanne. No one boycotted it, like some people threaten with the NFL. What about the fact, that in today’s divisive political climate, ABC actually brought back the show (after all of the hoplah surrounding the kneeling protests, so it should have been fresh in ABC exec’s minds, and remember, ABC is an NFL broadcast partner that spoke out AGAINST the NFL player’s protests, yet they handed Roseanne millions of dollars. Irony much?).

Colin and Eric Reid both said they will no longer kneel. Do you think the fans that were offended by the protests will “forgive and forget” like we apparantly did with Roseanne?

Again, where is all of the anger and boycotts of Roseanne?

93. I like 15 yards for every player with a knee down. 20 players kneeling would be the equivalent to 300 yards in penalties before the game began, and this put the team down 21 points.

Well a safety is only worth 2 points so…

94. The problem is the players don’t care about fines. They have more money than they will ever know what to do with. They only penalty that would make sense is a one game suspension for a player who breaks the rule.

95. I think that just for spite, someone should kneel every game, that way every game starts with a 15 year penalty. This would illustrate how pathetically stupid such a penalty would be–someone kneeling has NOTHING to do with the game–THE RULES OF THE GAME AS PLAYED. Why would a team be penalized? Think about it. Maybe not having your socks pulled up is automatic loss of down (watch Belicheck teach his players to pull others socks down), or texting during a game gets 3 points taken off the board? Or, maybe refusing to speak to the media during the game means you move the ball back 15 yards on the first field goal attempt at the NEXT game? Only in today’s moronic world would a whole team be penalized for the chosen behavior of one individual acting upon political beliefs? Is the NFL purposely trying to kill itself? Sure seems that way. I am 50, been a Cowboys fan since I was 5, and am getting to where I cannot stomach much more. I think many on BOTH sides of the political fence feel the same way.

96. It is also worth noting the outrage so many express over a political protest meant only to highlight a very real and serious issue–yet little to none of this outrage over people being murdered, often for no other reason than race. Let’s scream all day over a “flag protest” while calling others “triggered whiners” while pretending this is all made up on the other side–just as those manipulating you designed it.