Brian Robison took a pay cut from Vikings

Getty Images

Defensive end Brian Robison addressed someone’s lingering doubt about his plans for the 2018 season earlier this month with a tweet announcing that he would be playing a 12th season for the Vikings.

Field Yates of ESPN reports that Robison adjusted his contract before confirming the continuation of his career. Yates reports that Robison agreed to cut his base salary from $3.2 million to $1.015 million in the final year of his current deal.

Robison joined the Vikings as a fourth-round pick in 2007 and has missed just three games over the last 11 seasons. After six years as a starter, Robison moved back into a reserve role last season and posted 20 tackles and four sacks in his 15 appearances for the NFC North champs.

The most recent NFLPA salary cap report had the Vikings with just over $17.1 million in cap space for the coming season.

32 responses to “Brian Robison took a pay cut from Vikings

1. I always like this guy. A real professional. It would be nice if he could get a ring with the Vikings, but then I guess every team feels the same way about their Veterans

2. I forgot who said ‘I get paid for practice and play on Sunday for free”, was correct. Practice bites.

I guess a million works out for him and after many years in the League, he knows how to survive or does not mind practice.

Guys take cuts or are gone (nothing said) and yet there are guys who are vilified when they outplay their contracts and have no recourse but to hold out (which rarely works).

3. I hope Robison can hang on for one more year, but the Vikings have got some young talent vying for roster spots and playing time, including Bower, Holmes, Aruna, Weatherly and Mata’afa. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Robison released before the season starts.

4. If he took a $2.2M pay cut just to stay with the Vikings, how much lower a salary would he accept if the Vikings lost by 38 points in the NFC Championship game? To be fair, he was just one member of that highly vaunted defense that decided to take the day off.

5. I really admire guys that recognize their diminishing skills and understand what it takes to continue their careers in an environment that is amenable to them and the franchise. It takes balls. Years ago, AJ Hawk did a similar thing in Green Bay and continued to provide solid journeyman support. It requires a good agent too. Good luck to Robison. Good move.

6. B-ROB is a great player. Glad he’s coming back from one last ride. It takes character to be loyal to team, and take a pay cut for the better of the team.

7. You just seen the lights flicker on and off, your sizing up your competition, they’ve already called out the last call, your looking around hoping to latch on to what you where chasing all night….the Last Dance….B Rob, just Newman are chasing the elusive ring. Here’s to you being able to beat the young Turks out for the chance to hoist the, “Lombardi”.

8. 12th year and one for the road, great career for one of my all time prove it kinda players. Nobody gave this guy a shot as a 4th round pick from Texas, and all he’s done is continually prove em wrong year after year and is in the Viking top ten all time sack leaders amongst some pretty impressive Hall of Fame defensive lineman.

I’d wear a 96 Robison jersey with pride. Skol!

Great hair over the years too.

9. Surprised we’re only hearing about this now, sounds like it was done weeks ago. An extra 2 mil may enable the Vikes to hold onto all three – Diggs, Barr, Hunter.

10. Leader. When Greenway & Leber left, this guy arrived & took over. I just hope the legacy continues to thrive; because chemistry is most important. Especially, when an entire play call is made via head nod.

11. fwippel says:

May 23, 2018 at 8:18 am

—————

Robinson won’t get released. It was clearly evident near the end of the season last year that the Vikings defense lineman was lacking. It showed up in the Saints and Eagles game. They will keep B-Rob, a reliable vet and continue to add deph. The Eagles were successful because they had deph to sub players in and out and stay fresh.

12. whatjusthapped says:
    May 23, 2018 at 8:35 am

****

Hey Stellarperformance, you really despite “fight pickers” so you better keep your fellow fans in check, since us Minnesotans always pick fights.

Now for my quirky response to whatjusthappened, Packers have players who AREN’T willing to take pay cuts to stay with the Packers. Isn’t that saying something?

13. If he played like he did last year and was the same leader off the field, I thought he would have still been worth close to $3M/yr. I’m glad he stuck around. Has always been a classy player and he will go out with class.

14. packertruth says:
    May 23, 2018 at 2:31 pm
    Sheldon Richardson has 2.5 sacks in his last 29 games. And this guy has to take a paycut?

***

Brian Robinson isn’t a DT.
    Sheldon Richardson isn’t a DE.
    Sheldon Richardson signed a 1 year deal.
    Sheldon Richardson has only played for 5 seasons.
    Brian Robinson will start his 12th year.
    Brian Robinson rotates with Hunter and Griffen.
    Sheldon Richardson could be the starter next to Joseph.

That’s how you make some of those decisions in football.

15. packertruth says:

May 23, 2018 at 2:31 pm

——————–

I love how Packer fans and a lot of fans look at splash plays, or pure numbers vs. how a player is used in a scheme and what is expected. I suppose that comes from watching the “Blitz and pray” defense of Dom Capers for 10 + years.

16. packertruth says:
    May 23, 2018 at 3:30 pm
    Kenny Clark plays DT. Kenny Clark had 4.5 sacks last year. Sheldon Richardson is overpaid.

***

Nick Foles won a superbowl last year. Aaron Rodgers didn’t. Aaron is overpaid. I’ll be here all day if we want to make weird comparisons.

17. 13worldchampioinships says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:35 pm

/////////////////

What Packer players? Name names.

18. I don’t despise anybody. I just think fight-pickers in-general are cowards hiding behind anonymity and I’m simply pointing out who they are. It’s water off a ducks back to me.
    —-
    You are missing his point. It’s when you cry about trolls you only cry one direction and ignore your own. (and you troll yourself when you ate not trying to be self righteous about trolling. That not his point, it’s mine)

19. I don’t mind trolling. I just don’t like haters. Haters are fight-pickers. I assumed you didn’t mind Packer-troll fight-pickers because they’re just like you…….you know……..birds of a feather. If you don’t like them, that’s your battle.

Good luck.

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 13, 2018, 10:58 PM EDT

22. stellarperformance says:
    May 24, 2018 at 11:44 am
    13worldchampioinships says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:35 pm

/////////////////

What Packer players? Name names.

*****

Nelson and Bulaga. Unless something with Bulaga changed that I’m not aware of.