NFL releases statement on new anthem policy

Getty Images

The National Football League adopted a new policy regarding the national anthem at this week’s league meetings in Atlanta and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement outlining that policy on Wednesday afternoon.

As reported, the policy calls for all league and team personnel on the field to stand during the playing of the anthem while eliminating the requirement that all league and team personnel be on the field for the playing of the song. It also calls for the league to discipline teams whose personnel do not comply with the policy and allows teams to set their own “work rules” regarding players who do not stand during the playing of the song.

The complete text of that statement appears below:

The policy adopted today was approved in concert with the NFL’s ongoing commitment to local communities and our country — one that is extraordinary in its scope, resources, and alignment with our players. We are dedicated to continuing our collaboration with players to advance the goals of justice and fairness in all corners of our society.

The efforts by many of our players sparked awareness and action around issues of social justice that must be addressed. The platform that we have created together is certainly unique in professional sports and quite likely in American business. We are honored to work with our players to drive progress.

It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of NFL players were unpatriotic. This is not and was never the case.

This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room until after the Anthem has been performed.

We believe today’s decision will keep our focus on the game and the extraordinary athletes who play it — and on our fans who enjoy it.

POLICY STATEMENT

The 32 member clubs of the National Football League have reaffirmed their strong commitment to work alongside our players to strengthen our communities and advance social justice. The unique platform that we have created is unprecedented in its scope, and will provide extraordinary resources in support of programs to promote positive social change in our communities.

The membership also strongly believes that:

1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

2.The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the Anthem.

3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the Anthem has been performed.

4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

122 responses to “NFL releases statement on new anthem policy

1. Once again NFL gets it wrong. This was never about protesting the anthem itself. It was showing that Black people get less then equal treatment in the eye of the law. Staying in the tunnel is protesting the anthem itself, taking a knee represents the inequality in America.

2. The policy I wish they would have adopted: Players are allowed to kneel if they choose. If players kneel, the TV cameras will be certain to zoom in on them and subject them to audience scrutiny. Marginal players will learn to not kneel for fear of getting cut, talented players will not kneel for fear of getting smaller contract extensions and massively decreased endorsement opportunities. The problem will correct itself, and the NFL will not be the bad guy.

3. I’ve loved football my entire life, played it at the collegiate level and have been invested in it since as long as I can remember. This might be the straw that broke the camel’s back. I can’t support a league that doesn’t support the people within it.

4. When I was in the Navy I had a Master Chief who’d served for 27 years to that point laugh at me when I acted indigent about some schmuck who had setup a website arguing we should kill the troops.

I asked him, Master Chief, how can you possibly react like this when this dude’s saying all these things. I’ll never forget his reply and it has shaped my beliefs ever since.

“Son, there are a lot of places I’ve been to where people get locked up or killed for far less. I not only think it’s ok for him to say that, but I am proud to defend his ability to do so. There is no greater privilege in this world than to say or do something that offends someone so long as it doesn’t impinge on their ability to say or do what others want. Democracy isn’t always pretty and it isn’t always something you agree with, but it’s something we all love and cherish and should defend in all corners at all costs no matter how disgusted we are at what’s being said.”

I’m glad that man influenced me so strongly so I don’t have to sit here and be like one of the many idiots here talking about its un-American to kneel for the anthem. Kneeling for the Anthem is one of the most American things you can possibly do. To bad so many people don’t understand that.

5. “6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.”

Best way to create job security? Give yourself more power.

6. If your mad about the nfll new anthem rules shouldn’t you be more mad at the NBA where all players have to stand for the anthem?seems weird to be more upset about NFLs policy over NBA

7. The NFL is a business, first and foremost, and given that many viewers have difficulty understanding the concept that being free includes freedom of expression, from a business perspective, this makes alot of sense.

8. First, in my business there is an expression “the customer’s perception is reality”. If many NFL customers perceived that players who did not stand for the anthem are unpatriotic that is our reality.

Next, what does “show respect” mean? If a player raises his arm with fisted hand is that a violation? If they stand but turn away from the flag is that a violation. Expect players to test these limits.

Last, don’t you think that players who stay in the locker room will be called out by the media and the fans? They are still in effect disrespecting the flag and anthem.

Once again Goodell and the owners missed the boat here.

9. This is so stupid. I got a better idea, stop televising the national anthem. I know I for one rarely watch it anyways. It is good for the fans who attend the game, but why televise it? Viewers at home don’t need to see it. This way if it isn’t on camera, the entire team can sit down and cry during it for all we care, nobody will notice it. To go the Nazi route is foolish and will be counterproductive.

10. Protest all you want, free country.
    But disrespect vets, police, law and races then we have a problem.
    Kaep went beyond with his disrespect.
    Anyone claiming his cause was about race is misguided.

11. I like it. Now I will return to watching as much football as possible, not just the Bears games, and I will also attend games again. Last year kinda sucked.

12. The socialists will flip because they hate anything that pulls Americans together. The flag, the anthem, shared holidays like Christmas or Columbus Day, indeed even the very idea of a melting pot society rather than a bunch of discrete “cultures” whose boundaries are patrolled against misappropriation by SJWs on Twitter. All these must go if we are to achieve socialist paradise and be fair and equal while starving to death together. Sincerely, Venezuela.

13. The NBA requires their player to stand.

Why does the commie left not go after them?

Stay in the locker room you bunch of babies.

14. When the anthem comes on I stand in front of my tv. I do it because I love my country and I respect those that fight and die for it. It has nothing to do with any other agenda.

15. The NFL is their own worst enemy…. they are not long for this world. Mark my word, this time around one of the new leagues will take over their fan base with no non-sense, old school football, they way the game was meant to be played.

16. The snowflake rule. Because out of 70,000 people inside the stadium you can’t handle the 2 people that took a knee at the request of a very well respected green beret who felt taking a knee was more respectful than sitting.

Let alone that was 2 seasons ago. And your still melting (And claim weekly to have boycotted the NFL 2 years ago.)

Stay crystallized. You’ll melt soon enough over something else a couple of people are doing that you don’t approve of.

17. This is Orwellian. What’s next? Discipline those that don’t have a picture of the POTUS in their locker? Mandatory bowing when a government official stops by? Disciplining citizens for not showing “proper respect” for an object (the flag) seems very fascist and un-American to me.

18. What level of ignorance Sbdt? Have you been black in America? Do you understand the day-to-day interaction between black people and police? If you don’t, then your ignorance is astounding.

19. Neither the flag nor the anthem brings people together. Only colonizers who invaded somebody else’s territory and wiped out a demographic of people support that.

20. Well done NFL.

I’ll start watching again.

P.S.

Florio maybe you can invite all protesters over and you guys can grieve this out ….

Chin up misguided turds… the world will go on …..

21. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:27 pm
    I don’t see a problem but I’m sure there are going to be a lot of complaints from people who think disrespecting the flag somehow causes some good in society.

———————————————————

I am still waiting for an intelligent reason as to why kneeling is being disrespectful towards the flag or country.

22. People don’t go against the NBA, because the NBA allows players to have a voice. If you feel a certain way about a social issue, you can say something about it without ramifications. You can’t in the NFL

23. The Truth says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:29 pm
    The great game of football has been relegated to a sport for snowflakes .

Titan says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:30 pm
    Fascism has come to the NFL.
    _____________________________________________

Both extremes, presented back to back and equally foolish. What a perfect microcosm of the foolishness at the far poles of this issue and a perfect example of how impossible it is becoming to have meaningful discourse here in what’s left of the middle between the two increasingly belligerent camps.

24. Honestly….the NFL should have left this alone. I didnt care if players stood or kneeled or did cartwheels during the anthem because we indeed live in a free country of choice. Now that the NFL has overstepped on democracy (giving way to a bitter, angry orange man who is sad he never got an NFL team and couldnt afford one now) I may really stop watching.

25. What about allowing fans to request refunds if they see players kneeling and are offended? I know a lawmaker from Indiana proposed a bill requiring the Colts to give refunds, don’t know how far it’s gotten.

26. The NBA is apples to oranges. The NBA wasn’t getting paid by the military for pre game ceremony like the NFL got paid. It’s a paid for commercial that the armed forces do on Sunday before kickoffs in the NFL.

Many fans missed that scandal. That scandal broke during deflate gate which was IMO the fall guy to deflect attention away from the NFL owners taking tax dollars inside their tax dollar funded stadiums to promote the military which is also propped up by tax dollars.

27. charlesbroccoli says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:39 pm
    Well that does it for me. Goodbye NFL!

*****************************************************
    Why does everyone have to post that they’re leaving. Just go already! It’s not like the NFL is going to call and beg you to come back. Man-up!!!

28. What people don’t seem to understand, is that the NFL is a business. The NFL is a brand. Anything that hurts the brand has to be addressed by the league. The protests were hurting the brand, so the NFL has decided to make a policy to put a stop to them. And yes, everyone in America has the right to protest. However, having a job as an NFL player is not a right. The NFL has created rules and policy, and players and team personnel who don’t follow those rules are subject to fines and suspension. This is no different than most jobs in America. Protesting is great, but if your employer tells you not to do it while you’re on the clock you can either comply or quit. I doubt these millionaires will value protest over dollars, but I guess we shall see.

29. Out of respect for the players that wish to kneel, I will kneel at home or in the stands.

30. amurdora says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:36 pm

__________

I agree with a lot of what you said and thank you for your service, but the statement that kneeling for the Anthem is one of the most American things you can do leads to a direction in which I don’t think we want to go. Freedom of expression and the right to protest are very American, but by that token, spitting on the flag, burning the flag, wearing pig socks as part of your uniform, or any other form of expression would be at least as “American” as kneeling for the anthem. Is that what you want to tune into a football game to see? These players have the right to do all these things on their own time, but having that right as an American doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want when you’re at work. All workplaces have policies that have to be adhered to if you want to keep your job and the NFL has the right to rein this in because it’s bad for business.

31. People are so funny. No matter what the NFL did / does it would be wrong on either side. At some point who the heck cares. They could get rid of it for all I care. Btu the NFL and other sports leagues donate boat loads to the forces and veterans which is great so it get it’s place. So what if the NFL says those kneeling stay inside that’s fine who cares just dummies that want to care. What you don’t have something more important to care about. Is this really the straw that will break your back. What a bunch of dummies who cares. The NFL made a rule it’s fine let them enforce it and again watch the game. Sit or stand for the anthem. I’m Canadian I don’t stand in my living room. If I was there live I would stand but if the bozo beside me sits that’s his choice. Again who cares. Let it go, build a bridge.

32. Did the NFL even look on Twitter yesterday to get a temperature of the fans reaction? Instead of letting this go, the NFL just poured gas on the fire.

33. youngnoizecom — I’m on your side. I grew up in NOLA and worked with cops who were unrepentant racists. Not all of them, mind you, but the vast majority threw around the N word, talked about wishing they could use violence without consequence, etc. I have direct evidence of what is being protested. So no, I don’t know what it’s like to be black, but yes, I’ve been behind the veil and it’s disgusting.

34. Why can’t the anthem just be played about 5 minutes before the players come out to start the game and be done with all of this as far as this issue? Seems everybody gets what they want that way.

35. Please remind me again why the 32 owners pay Goodell 40 million per year again? Couldnt they have done this last year and avoided all of this mess?

36. Did someone seriously say “Columbus Day” is a day that brings Americans together ??? Wtf ??

I am going to the opening game this year. And I protest of fascism in the nfl I will be kneeling in the stands during the anthem. I hope other Philadelphians will do the same.

It’s high time the silent majority got unsilent or the stupid minority is gonna ruin everything. Don’t be complacent or they will take everything. First they came for …..

37. They are lucky they get to protest “while they are on the clock”. If I made the decisions, they would have to do it on there own time, not while at work. Work starts when you enter any part of the stadium.

38. This is a buried comment, but to those who thought Jerry Jones didn’t get his way….. THINK AGAIN. This was probably drafted by Jerry Jones himself. The NFL “won” the media war, but in the end- Jerry got his way.

39. I wonder if players were protesting for animal rights or better cancer research would the original message get hijacked? The original protest had nothing to do with the anthem.

40. The league should’ve just fined players $50k per kneel and been done with it. No matter how big a SJW the player is, when they watch money leave their bank account, they’ll fall in line quickly.

41. Staying in the locker room is fair. But to all of you patriotic jealous little boys… Understand the armed services paid to have players stand initially. So before that was the NFL un patriotic? Wait wait… why do so many people want sports guys to stand for the flag? Is it because your jealous that their rich? Does anyone else in this forum have to stand at work? So why do you want athletes to do it? Does your favorite movie star do it? This is super hypocritical. I wish they would not censor you guys for a day to allow your true feelings to be heard.

42. footballace says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:58 pm

———-

What makes you believe that the majority of “fans” spend any time on Twitter?

Twitter is infested with self-important SJWs who believe everyone should believe what they believe.

43. djteknision1200 says:
    May 23, 2018 at 1:07 pm

——–

It also had nothing to do with Police Brutality. It had everything to do with Kaep pouting because he lost his job to Blaine Gabbert.

44. highsodium says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Isn’t this evidence of collusion regarding the anthem issue in Kaep’s and Reid’s case

—————-

Nope. Kaepernick and Reid chose to be martyrs and sued the NFL, effectively ending their careers. Since neither is currently employed by an NFL team, the NFL has no association with them and can legally deny them employment for any legitimate reason, such as their actions leading to a loss of revenue.

45. saxsexsixsoxsux says:

May 23, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Once again NFL gets it wrong. This was never about protesting the anthem itself. It was showing that Black people get less then equal treatment in the eye of the law”
    —————————————-
    Show me where the law states that black people get less than equal treatment.

46. He left a lot of information out of this. Lines 5 and 6 are really unclear.

Line 5. Each club may develop it own work rules. So you are saying the club can come up with its own disciplinary action plan?

Line 6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel. Please define what appropriate discipline means

Is line 6 needed if teams come up with there own rules of discipline or is this just Rodger being Rodger

47. Nothing like allowing a 5X draft dodger who mocked our POWs who did serve for being “captured”, dictating NFL Anthem policy.

48. Kaep needs to subpoena the owner’s meeting transcript or audio tape regarding this policy. I’m sure it can help demonstrate the collusion going on regarding his employment or lack thereof.

49. This is what happens when you take money in exchange for appearances of “patriotism” and THEN, as part of your standard mode of operations, try to appeal to as many demos as possible and try to appease each one.

Only to anger or further turn off each in the process. Silly.

50. NFL showing it’s greed again — appease cogs who are too offended to understand the meaning of a gesture just to continue profiting off of them. Depressing.

51. So many people ignore the reason these athletes are not standing for the National Anthem. As a Veteran I will always stand up for my country, however I understand the why these men kneel. Our country STILL has rampant discrimination, especially where law enforcement is concerned. The white lady calling the police on African-Americans having a bbq in the park is a prime example. If you are black you know your life can be in danger when dealing with the police. This needs to stop. We all should be treated EQUALLY. That is what this protest is all about!

52. Blaine Gabbert was not even in the picture when they released Kaep. The 49ers didn’t even know they were going aquire Gabbert at that time so please try again.

53. youngnoizecom says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:45 pm
    ————————
    Speaking about levels of ignorance, you do realize that 11% of the population accounts for more than 50% of all the violent crime committed in America? Maybe that’s where you should start to understand the interactions between the police and black America

54. Tough day for site staff. Will see how it goes this year before my family re-invests it’s time and money into the protest league. I just started enjoying the college game so much, not sure Sunday is viable use of time anymore for the protest league. As our countries President has said, “We’ll See.”

55. Protests over whether or not AA are treated well enough by police…
    IF you ARE confrontational and combative with a LEO during a stop, they are going to kick your butt.
    IF you RUN from a LEO during a stop, they will chase and subdue you, AND they will be worried that you might try to harm them and treat you accordingly.
    IF you make them think you have a gun and might harm them or others, they will SHOOT you.

It is not that hard to get along with LE.

56. saxsexsixsoxsux says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:30 pm
    —–

Two problems:

1) Empirical evidence does not support your position. Only anecdotal videos, stories and isolated incidences.

2) Taking a knee may represent that to YOU, but not to thousands of others.

57. Funny how the older, richer and closer to death people get the more they want to control everyone and every thing.

I really don’t think anyone over the age of 50 should ever hold a position of power. They are too close to death and get more selfish the closer they get to the end.

58. This is a mistake by the NFL. I hate the anthem kneelers. The owners don’t know what to do. People are afraid to admit why they are against kneeling because someone will call them a racist. The bottom line is that most people know that BLM as a movement is nonsense. People don’t care if individuals are killed while fighting with police. That isn’t racism…that is not giving a crap about criminals who tangle with the cops.

But putting this rule in without consulting the Union is a problem. Now the Union has no choice but to step in. The players don’t care about kneeling except for the few pieces of garbage who do it. The vast majority of them know that kneeling hurts their business and messes with their paper. Now they are stuck in the middle.

59. “calls for the league to discipline teams whose personnel do not comply”
    Rented Mule Approach

60. So, the League cares about it’s fans, who are Americans, over their employees, some of whom are un-American?

Sounds like a good business plan to me…

61. The assumption that the majority of fans agree with this is wrong. The racist minority are loudest but make no mistake – they’re the minority.

62. This is the first time in Goodell’s entire tenure that I feel like the NFL Office has done something just right. The reason why the players were protesting is not really relevant, the method by which they chose to protest was inherently offensive to a good portion of the paying customers of the NFL and it behooved them to rein in the behavior. Saying you are protesting a valid cause does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you like without censure, especially not when you are at work and on the clock. No one is entitled to a right to free speech at their job, free speech just means that you won’t get prosecuted, not that you won’t get fined or fired.

63. djteknision1200 says:
    May 23, 2018 at 1:43 pm

————————-
    I think you may have confused Blain Gabbert and Jimmy Garrapolo?

64. chawk12thman says:
    May 23, 2018 at 1:19 pm

————————-
    Honestly I think that lawsuit is nonsense. But the strategist in me says if I was in charge of winning it I would definately go after that transcript.

65. Christopher says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:39 pm
    ————————–
    You are foolish Christopher.
    The media STOPPED televising the national anthem about 10 years ago.
    They STARTED televising it again when there were protesters.

66. nhpats says:
    May 23, 2018 at 1:13 pm
    djteknision1200 says:
    May 23, 2018 at 1:07 pm

——–

—————
    I agree Kaepernick was just making up an excuse for sulking over being benched. And ever sine then he has been manipulating to get people to think his failure is not his own fault. But the other players that picked it up after him, every one of them, I do believe were sincere.

67. nhpats says:
    May 23, 2018 at 1:11 pm
    footballace says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:58 pm

———-

What makes you believe that the majority of “fans” spend any time on Twitter?

——————-
    Snapface is much better, thats the one Belichick posts on.

68. 13worldchampioinships says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm
    People are still going to find a way to complain about this.

Like how in the new rules that “Anthem” is capitalized but “flag” is not…

That was the first thing I noticed, sadly, how people will take that out of context.

I’m not for or against either side of this topic; I simply think it’s sad that our sports has become less and less about sport (and an escape) than anything else…

69. TheDPR says:
    May 23, 2018 at 4:52 pm
    ———————-
    Yeah, racists were a huge minority among the people that were against the protest.

70. mountaingirl39 says:

May 23, 2018 at 7:22 pm
    Since football season is over, how many of the players have voiced their view, engaged in protests, or done anything for their cause.

—————————————————————-

All of them. Consistently. Why do you ask?

71. amurdora says:
    May 23, 2018 at 12:36 pm
    ————————————————————————
    RACK IT!!!

72. Okay, I keep hearing about “rights” and how they apply to Colin Kaepernick and guys who did what he did.
    Well, I am sick and tired of hearing about all of them and it’s my right to hate what they did. So I am using my right to hate what Kaepernick and all the other guys who joined him did. If anyone has a problem with that, stick it in your ear.
    I’m glad no team has offered him a chance to be back in the NFL, and I hope it stays that way.
    If Kaepernick fell off the earth, it would be a great day for me.

73. nyneal says:
    May 24, 2018 at 3:30 pm
    If Kaepernick fell off the earth, it would be a great day for me.
    ————————————————————————
    Good job neal. Now you get the concept of freedom of speech. No one has to agree or disagree. What we are free to do is protest peacefully and to air our grievances without fear of prosecution.

74. And it’s the NFL and the team’s right to fine you or penalize you for not following their rules and procedures while on the clock. Protesting is done on personal time, not company time. Dont’ like it? They know where the door is.

Also, why can’t one thing be sacred? There are literally billions of ways and outlets for these players to protest, they don’t need to disrespect the flag and what it means to others. If they TRULY wanted to make an impact, they would have sat out the games entirely after holding a press conference gameday saying they were doing it for social change. They didn’t do that because it would have hurt THEIR paychecks rather than the owners/teams.