John Dorsey on Nick Foles report: We’re excited about Tyrod Taylor

Getty Images

A report this week indicated that the Browns took a run at trading for Super Bowl LII MVP Nick Foles this offseason, but found themselves looking elsewhere for a quarterback when the Eagles passed on the deal after running it by Foles.

Browns General Manager John Dorsey was asked about that report on Wednesday and cited tampering rules as a reason for a no comment while also taking time to mention the veteran quarterback that the team did wind up acquiring in a trade.

“Well I know this, we’re very excited to have Tyrod Taylor as our starting quarterback,” Dorsey said, via Cleveland.com. “I’m not going to talk about another team’s player. You all know my position on that. He’s with the Philadelphia Eagles and I won’t talk about him.”

Taylor was also asked about the report, but noted that a Foles bid would have predated his arrival in Cleveland and therefore “really doesn’t affect me.”

33 responses to “John Dorsey on Nick Foles report: We’re excited about Tyrod Taylor

1. So they tried to get Foles and settled for Taylor. What is the story here?

2. I’d rather have Taylor. At a minimum it’s a draw. Foles had a great D behind him. I really great D. Was Jim McMahon or Trent Dilfer worth a top 2nd round pick after their SB wins?

3. backintheday99 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:16 am
    ————–
    When Taylor has a streak of 27 TDs to 2 INTs then you can start making ridiculous comments like the one you made.

4. “…the Eagles passed on the deal after running it by Foles.”
    —————————————
    Sounds like Foles was not excited about Cleveland. Can’t really blame him, SB MVP as a back up on the defending SB Champs…or starter for the Factory of Sadness. I would stay in Philly too.

5. The word is that the Eagles called Foles to get his thoughts on the trade– a classy move by the way.

I am not even a Browns fan and I could care less about them, but I truly hope they turn their fortunes around. They’ve been the league punching bag for 15 years.

6. That excitement will pass quickly as fans are screaming at their TVs, “Throw the darn ball already!”

7. haha

Im sorry Browns fans. I know the guy cant say much else.

But who would you rather have starting at the most important position on the team? Reigning SB MVP? Or a washout from Buffalo?

Im glad the Eagles were able to keep him. He is as good as many of the leagues starters, and waaay better than most backups. And he will most likely be needed for a few games early in the season.

I cant expect Dorsey to say that he is disappointed to be stuck with the only guy that would sign in Cleveland though…

8. backintheday99 says:

May 24, 2018 at 7:16 am

———–

Yep. That amazing D that held the Pats to a total of 0 punts in the game. 1 strip sack in the 4th quarter, and let up a record of 505 passing yards in the Super Bowl.

I can see how you would believe that…

9. Delusional folks who state “rather have Taylor than Foles”, are you kidding me? While it’s a team game but I would think Foles had something to do with the SB win as the MVP and all??

Put Tyrod in his place in that title game and guaranteed, Pats walk away with the trophy.

10. At least Dorsey made the offer for Foles, but understandable why he chose to stay in Pfilly. Tyrod Taylor is a decent one year fill in for the Browns.

11. I’d rather have Taylor. At a minimum it’s a draw. Foles had a great D behind him. I really great D. Was Jim McMahon or Trent Dilfer worth a top 2nd round pick after their SB wins?

**************
    Did either of them dominate in Super Bowl and take MVP honors?

12. “Well I know this, we’re very excited to have Tyrod Taylor as our starting quarterback,” Dorsey said, via Cleveland.com.
    ————————————————————————

So excited, in fact, they took a QB 1st overall in the draft. Would be nice if even one of these GM’s wasn’t so full of crap, the stuff spews out of their mouth every time they decide to speak.

13. Ah so we’re still ignoring that the Eagles and Foles have already called fake news on this. Gotta love the media.

Media: Our reports say a thing happened.

Teams: Thing didn’t happen and we have no clue what you’re talking about

Media: obviously team covering up thing that happened that we can’t actually prove happened but since you can’t prove it didn’t (other than teams haven’t no legit excuse to lie about it) we’re still saying it’s true.

14. The truth is that when the Eagles ran the idea of the trade by Foles, he declined not so much because he “loves” being in Philly, but because he didn’t want to go to Cleveland. Can anyone blame him?

15. “somefans says: May 24, 2018 at 8:03 am: No one is excited about Tyrod Taylor”

Well, I think maybe the Buffalo fans are excited about him being gone, there’s that, but otherwise spot on.

16. kennylc2015 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:32 am

…I would love to have heard that conversation. Did Howie said “hey… good news and bad news. You can be a starter, but it is in Cleveland” to which Foles responded “are you bleeping kidding me? Bleep no?”
    ————————-

And knowing Nick Foles, class act that he is, he would have actually used the word “bleep” instead of a curse word.

17. backintheday99 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:16 am
    —————————————-
    The same “great D” that allowed a new Superbowl record for passing yards? That “great” D?

18. backintheday99 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:16 am

——-

Taylor is not an NFL level QB. He had great defenses at Buffalo but couldn’t get it done against the Patriots. Nick Foles did it at the biggest stage. There is no way these two QBs are equal.

19. Doubt it’s all about the location, they drafted their “future” and Nick wants to, and earned another chance to start long term, which he will get, along with Case Keemun $ for 2019 season.

20. Great defenses atep up in big moments as did the super bowl champion eagles did time after time againsr the goat