Trump supports new NFL anthem policy, opposes players staying in locker room

Getty Images

President Trump has weighed in on the NFL’s new national anthem policy, saying the owners took a step in the right direction — but warning that the rule allowing players to remain in the locker room could be problematic.

“I think that’s good,” Trump said on Fox and Friends. “I don’t think people should be staying in locker rooms, but still I think it’s good. You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there, maybe you shouldn’t be in the country. You have to stand proudly for the national anthem and the NFL owners did the right thing if that’s what they’ve done.”

Trump said he doesn’t think he deserves to be seen as the person who made the new policy happen, saying instead that he just highlighted something that a lot of Americans cared about.

“I think the people pushed it forward,” Trump said. “This was not me. I brought it out. I think the people pushed it forward. This country’s very smart. We have very smart people. That’s something ideally could have been taken when it first started, it would have been a lot easier. But if they did that, they’re doing the right thing.”

The NFL has, in the past, allowed players to choose for themselves whether to stand for the anthem. Starting this year, players must stand if they are on the field, but they can choose not to be on the field during the anthem.

118 responses to “Trump supports new NFL anthem policy, opposes players staying in locker room

1. For myself
    I do not care what Trump thinks or says

Notice,, my First Amendment Right here

2. “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem”

No. No, I don’t. Neither does anyone else. It’s a little thing called freedom.

3. Here come the protests of the #TRIGGERED!!!!

4. There are 32 locker rooms being equipped with new cameras today. Can’t wait for another week 1 to be about something other than football

5. At this point, any player, that is an American citizen, not out on the field respecting the flag and anthem, is a liar and hypocrite. If they don’t get it by now, that a less offensive way to spotlight their activism needs to be implemented, then they’re not worth the powder.

6. Trump is such a clown head. These players have the exact same rights as he does. Including staying in this country and voting for someone else. Archie Bunker Jr.

7. This is no longer the United States. Pack it up, folks. Baby Boomers and Middle Americans have turned your country into a terribly sad joke.

8. I continue to be surprised that so many Americans support a North Korea-esque, forced display of patriotism. One’s level of patriotism cannot be determined at all by this act.

Plus, the people walking to the stadiums late and those watching at home don’t acknowledge the anthem. Why is this only a thing if you’re in or right by the stadium?

9. How about no fans in beer lines when the anthem is being played – or else you get fined. And you at home, better stand up too.

10. What’s next? March the players out in leg irons?
    Is it know which team owners voted for this?

11. You know what is interesting?
    If uber-patriots were Actually Honoring Our Flag, they would be Actually Doing that, instead of looking around, trying to see who is sitting and who is standing.

12. “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there, maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”
    =========================================
    Have to? Tyranny at it’s finest!

13. Remove Trump and other politicians from our football. Remove the ability for SJWs to protest at their workplace, like the rest of the country. Make the NFL great again.

14. Mixing politics with sports sucks mostly for the fans who escape life’s harsh realities following their favorite team. Fans spoke out by turning off the tv and doing something else. Blaming Trump is quite popular and he has become a convenient lightning rod for the indecisive owners who use the willing media to promote this narrative. I am a registered independant who has an affinity for the truth whether I like it or not. The new policy is in place because it cost the game fans and took money out of the pockets of the players and owners. If players want to effect change they have an incredible platform to do so without grandstanding during the playing of the anthem. It would he nice if we could all stand as one for a few minutes before each game, different politics, religion, and color but one human race United as Americans and then go beat the hell out of each other verbally defending our thoughts and ideas and the players physically competing on the field

15. In defense of the NFL, the players shopudln’t protest on the job.

But for Trump to say stand or you shouldn’t be in the country, sounds like fans in the stands could be arrested and kicked from the country for standing for the National Anthem.

As a Veteran and an American I find this type of tyranny scary coming from the Oval Office.

16. Isn’t there a rule or law that states you can’t criticize people for taking a knee during the anthem if you don’t know the words to the star spangled banner? Hmmm

17. It’s sad that these players taking full advantage of capitalism aren’t showing their patriotism to the country that gives them that amazing opportunity to begin with. Hiding behind the idea of the fake premis of police brutality and racial discrimination is just a lazy excuse to bring more attention to themselves.

18. honalulublue says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:14 am
    ——————
    You mean….. like kneeling?

19. everybodys afraid of the boogeyman, shame he cant be as a good a president as he is a commissioner,ooops that right he is neither!

20. Trump is a phony patriot. He showed is colors when the draft came calling. He’s position is solely for power and financial gain. 2020 can’t get here fast enough.

21 5 Rate This
    —————
    The fact that his supporters haven’t figured this out yet is astounding…this country is way worse off than I thought when he was elected…

21. Congress shall make no law….
    What is so hard for people to understand that NFL owners are not Congress. Employers put rules in place that limit speech all the time. I know for damn sure that I can’t protest on my employer’s dime. Why should an NFL player be allowed to? On his own time he can do whatever he wants.

22. cardsfann1, you’re clueless.

It’s obviously not “about themselves.” The problem is the outlet they chose raised attention in the wrong area. And instead of discrimination against black folks in he streets of America by police being the issue, it’s about free speech. Had the players chose a better venue their point may have gotten across better.

Do you get it now?

23. Trump doesn’t understand jack squat about American freedom, American patriotism, or American democracy. He’s an airhead spouting knee-jerk reactions and populist memes without any knowledge of what it takes to be a civil servant. He has also failed to learn on the job, so he’s just as unqualified now as he was a year ago.

I couldn’t care less what he thinks about the anthem, and it amazes me that anyone falls for his schtick.

24. It’s good that these players taking full advantage of capitalism and are showing their patriotism to the country that gives them that amazing opportunity to begin with. They are peacefully protesting an injustice that is most certainly real, regardless of whether you want to believe facts or believe tRump.

25. The Pavlovian response to PFT’s Trump dog whistle is hilarious. Today is the first time ever I could thumbs up every minority response and not make a single mistake.

I was at a big Patriots kneel-down at Gillette (Texans game) and the kneelers were loudly and justly booed. No Texans knelt. And coercion? Ask Villanueva what that is and from what quarter he experienced it up close and personal.

26. “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color.” – Colin Kaepernick, 2016
    —————————-
    This has always been about protesting the flag and the nation.

27. downtownswinga says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:09 am

21 5 Rate This
    —————
    ______________
    Another landslide in 2 years.
    Winning.

28. I find it hilarious when my brother in law’s family (and all other Trump thumpers) are complaining and screaming at the TV because players aren’t standing during the anthem…. With their hats on, drink in right hand and from the comfort of their couch.

29. The more people pretend to be outraged on both sides of the argument the more these types of stories will be in the news.

30. Forced patriotism is not patriotism. You cannot determine one’s love of country by such a simple act. I still cannot believe how many people follow his lead blindly. I don’t believe it has to do with intelligence, but rather such blind dedication to one’s political party that transcends all logic and reason. Crazy.

31. gosport474 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:09 am
    Congress shall make no law….

1 1 Rate This

32. billbrasky72 says:

May 24, 2018 at 8:03 am

Trump is even making the NFL great again!

________________________________________

BEST COMMENT ON HERE!!!

33. Peaceful protest? That’s disrespectful?
    Dodging the draft and insulting POWs? That’s patriotism?

34. scmems07 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:25 am
    ______________________
    That’s funny……they don’t show the National Anthem during broadcasts unless it’s the Super Bowl.
    Just replay’s of the losers kneeling when they come back from commercials that were on while the Anthem was being played.

35. Your comment is awaiting moderation-before we censor and delete it! says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:09 am
    Here come the protests of the #TRIGGERED!!!!
    ====

Kind of like how you were #TRIGGERED by citizens exercising their freedom to peacefully protest?

36. gosport474 says:
    “..Congress shall make no law….

I’ll bet you said the same thing about Kim Davis, who as a county clerk in Kentucky not only protested while “on the job”, but she used her office to deny people their constitutional rights. Right?

37. “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem”

Anyone who believes this quite literally understands nothing about the people who founded this nation, why they did it, or what they intended this nation to be.

For god’s sake, the anthem wasn’t even written until 27 years after the Constitution was written. Do you think they cared for one second about citizens being forced to sing songs and show patriotism?

38. Donald Trump has been in office for a little over a year and he still doesn’t realize that The President of the United States is a PUBLIC SERVANT, and not a SOVEREIGN HEAD OF STATE.

A truly great United States President will fight for the rights, and provide civil service to the NFL players and try to gain an understanding of their position, as well as listen to the owners. He would provide leadership in a time of discord.

A bad President will try to dictate policy and alienate the citizens that he took an oath to serve, and throw gasoline on the proverbial fire.

Who are the real Patriots; who are the one’s that really love the United States and are trying to “make it great”?

39. The Star Spangled Banner is military-centric and ineffectively praises our great country. The national anthem should be America the Beautiful. Play the Star Spangled Banner at military events. Who made it a law to play at sporting events?

40. It’s scary how many of you support this man…should everyone that dislikes him leave the country too?

41. lukedunphysscienceproject says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:52 am
    “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem”

************************************************************************************

In other words, the same people that voted for Trump in the first place.

42. gosport474 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:09 am
    Congress shall make no law….
    —————————–

Because there is this little thing called the CBA which means work rules have to be COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED

43. “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or … maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”

Are there any Trump supporters out there that disagree with him making statements like this?

44. I’m just happy to see that the pro-anthem people won’t be so damn triggered anymore. Can you imagine that? Actually being THAT upset, over something with ZERO real life impact as THIS? That is just soft, no other way to slice it. I’m so glad I was born with enough brains and enough backbone to live my own life on my own terms, and not just allow myself to get automatically volunteered into some system where I’m being willingly regulated and babysat by other humans who are no better than me. That’s easily the most insane thing about human life to me, that everyone just accepts that. Can’t even wrap my head around it. I’m not an American, bro, I’m just one of Earth’s individually-insignificant organisms, just like the rest of you. Humanity has truly lost sight of itself. “Sad!”

45. “What is so hard for people to understand that NFL owners are not Congress. Employers put rules in place that limit speech all the time. I know for damn sure that I can’t protest on my employer’s dime. Why should an NFL player be allowed to? On his own time he can do whatever he wants…””

Comments like this are hilarious. You cant protest at your job because your employer wont allow it. Up until now, the NFL allowed it. Does the NFL and each clubs owners not have the same freedoms? The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

Sports and politics have always been intertwined. You’d think people would realize that.

46. ninerfan81 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 9:07 am
    ___________

47. Forced freedom is not freedom.

I go to a football game to watch the game of football. I do not go to sporting events to enact my patriotism. If you think all you have to do is stand for 90 seconds when everyone else does and makes you a Patriotic person you are morally and mentally lazy.

48. But now the JO Jets owner has said the team will pay the fines of any player who refuses to stand…..I have a better idea – if you stay in locker room or refuse to stand then you don’t play in the game at all (or get paid). Do the players have a right to their opinion…sure…and the NFL/owners/business has a right to make decisions that don’t negatively affect that business.

49. ninerfan81 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 9:07 am
    ————————————-
    I’m down with that

50. So the fans chatting it up in the concession line or God forbid having to use the bathroom while the anthem is playing should be deported? Riiiiiiiiiight.

51. factschecker says:
    May 24, 2018 at 9:28 am
    Forced freedom is not freedom.

2 1 Rate This
    —————————————————
    I wish I could upvote this a million times.

52. “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there, maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”

Shouldn’t be in the country if you don’t stand for the anthem? Man, I’d hate to hear the president’s thoughts on what the punishment should be for five-time draft dodgers.

53. THOSE DAGGUM UNGRATEFUL SPOILED MILLIONAIRES NEED TO STAND FOR MUH FLAG OR GO MOVE TO IRAQ

-say all the guys sitting in stools at the bar chugging beer with their MAGA hats still on all while the anthem plays on TV.

54. He needs to keep his yap shut about this. It’s not a 1st Amendment issue until this moron, who is THE representative of the US Government, wade’s in to where he doesn’t belong. If I’m the players, I’m taking this to the courts. If you can prove that the league is acting at the behest of Trump, they should have no problem winning.

55. The Star Spangled Banner is inappropriately military-centric as a National Anthem. It should be America the Beautiful.

56. This goes against everything America is SUPPOSED to be about, anyone who thinks people should have to stand and “pay respect” to a song and a Flag do not understand anything about what the idea of America was in the eyes of the forefathers who wrote the Constitution/bill of rights/Declaration of Independence.

57. A man under investigation for Treason and Collusion with a foreign enemy of the America dictating to the NFL what is Patriotic?

58. ayokel21 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:39 am
    The backlash is coming 2020.

————

The backlash came in 2016.

59. tritz32 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:42 am
    I.AM.SO.SICK.OF.THIS.STORY.
    =================================
    Yet you clicked and even took the time to comment.

60. The best solution would just be to stop playing the anthem before games all together. What does the national anthem have to do with a football game? It’s not the Olympics. It’s not as though NFL teams are representing their country to the world. Does your boss play the anthem and make everyone stand before your work day begins?

I’ve just never understood this need to equate football with patriotism/the military. It’s just nonsense.

61. “Because your employer also doesnt force you to do interviews in front of camera and microphone. you are not the same as an NFL player. get over it, and stop trying to compare you vs them.”
    *****************************

Then the players should pay more attention to the contracts that they sign their names to and not just look at all of the $00000000000000000’s on it.

They’re REQUIRED by the league per their contracts to be available to the media – I’m pretty sure Joe Sixpack at the local conveinence store doesn’t have the same stipulations in his work agreement.

62. nhpats says:
    May 24, 2018 at 10:11 am

————

The backlash came in 2016.

———————————–

Half the country, minus roughly 3 million people, is hardly a backlash.

63. Taking a crap in your neighbor’s sink because you don’t like the meal he served is not the proper way to address the situation. You want attention to social justice? Don’t punch the military or patriots in the gut doing so and then tell us you’re patriotic.

Now coercion to stand…….I getcha on that one. I should be done out of respect to the country, flag, military. Those things have stood before the current elected officials and will stand after as well. Put away the hate for whoever is in office.

64. I like the anthem before games. It reminds us that, whatever happens on the field that day, we are all winners because we celebrate our freedom and intellectual liberty.

The moment standing or anything else becomes compulsory, that freedom we are supposed to be celebrating is rendered meaningless.

And let’s remember that the airwaves are supposed to be public property. The NFL takes money from the pentagon, and enjoys anti-trust status bestowed on them by the US government. And the majority of teams are playing in publicly-funded stadiums. So, equating it to your job selling hamburgers in the private sector is ludicrous, but it indicates the reason why you can’t get a better job.

65. If everyone thinks it’s such a great idea to kneel for the Anthem, please explain the 1000’s of empty seats across NFL stadiums. There were 30,000 empty seats at M&T Bank stadium, for the Ravens last game. With playoff implications! That never would have happened in their history.

66. nitzie says:
    May 24, 2018 at 8:22 am
    —————————-
    This has always been about protesting the flag and the nation.
    **************************************************************

Colin Kaepernick has the right to make the statement above.
    Blogger nitzie has the right to make the statement above.
    32 NFL Owners have the right not to sign a player that they feel would hurt their team more than help.
    I have the right to say that this story has gone from ludicrous speed to plaid.

Both sides are right.
    Both sides are wrong.
    Common sense should prevail, but it hasn’t. and it won’t.

I believe Kaepernick’s collusion case against the NFL is a joke.
    I disagree with the new Anthem policy.

67. nick koch says:
    May 24, 2018 at 6:45 am
    For myself
    I do not care what Trump thinks or says

Notice,, my First Amendment Right here

————

I’m certain the feeling is more than mutual.

68. derekgorgonstar says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:10 am
    So much winning.

108

108
    ———————————————–
    108-108, split right down the middle. Just like our country. Well done, when does the Civil War begin?

69. stinkymcmulligan says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:01 am

The only person with a backbone in all of this is President Trump

——————————————————————

I feel like this comment is proof positive that we exist in a multiverse that is somehow bleeding through, because there is no other way you could look at this timeline and make the above assessment. Sir, congratulations on your feat!

70. evrybdyhas1 says:
    May 24, 2018 at 7:46 am

61 66 Rate This
    —————————-

I don’t normally gush but this is the best post I’ve ever read in this topic. It’s 100% spot on and I couldn’t agree more as a fellow independent voter. Thank You for this post.

71. Everyone talking about “tyranny” needs to get a grip. Wake me when Trump makes a LAW saying Americans have to respect the flag. He hasn’t. He won’t. Stop being drama queens.- Former Vet (since so many in here need to throw that out).

72. The honorable Veterans who truly fought for our country and our freedoms must be turning in their graves with a deplorable President who has no respect for the First Amendment rights of fellow Americans, rights they fought for.

Maybe Trump needs to focus on the more important matters of our nation and the world, and not pander to his deplorable base. But then again, do we expect anything more (or less) of him?

73. “The only person with a backbone in all of this is President Trump”

Only his painful bone spurs stopped him from being a war hero.

74. The damage has been done. There’s no putting the toothpaste back in the barn. That train has sailed.

75. Trump is a hypocrite for questioning the players patriotism!! After all, he obtained four deferments, so he wouldn’t have to serve in the military!! So where was his patriotism then??

76. What does President Trump think about the issue of whether Carson Wentz should be held out of the first few games to ensure he is fully recovered from his injury?

I ask this in case you… you know… feel like talking about football.

77. Stand proudly for our National Anthem. Choose not to play if you are so disgruntled and unhappy. Find another platform for the protest, but not during our national song honoring our military heroes and patriots.

78. I love all the people on here who think Trump is some sort of working class hero. Before the election, if Donald Trump had seen you in the street he would’ve been more likely to push you out of his way into oncoming traffic than shake your hand

79. Um, the National Protest League created a problem and let it fester like a inflamed pimple. The President just popped the pimple and when you do that sometimes it leaves a scar. Better to hit that pimple early with some Clearasil, something the Kneeling Football League refused to do. I still don’t think this ends well for the Protest League and I expect more loss of viewership as the NFL Employee anti-America protesters will revolt.

80. sonscompass says:
    May 24, 2018 at 11:11 am

————-

The President doesn’t make laws; Congress does. The President’s job with regard to lawmaking is to provide moral leadership for Congress and then sign or veto anything that comes to his desk. You really should be paying attention to Trump’s moral leadership because it does matter, and so far he’s doing an atrocious job of it.

81. This isn’t rocket science. Trump has been very publicly racist for decades, from the real estate company he ran being sued twice by the DOJ for discriminatory practices to the Central Park Five to birtherism to “very fine people.” People who support him are racist and/or ignorant.

82. I’m just glad we have a true leader as president now to guide so many of the uneducated and morally corrupt people in this country. Thanks Donald, You’re the best baby.

83. If you don’t want to honor American……there is the door. You can leave. That’s a freedom to. I think it’s terrible that these players get paid tons of money to play a game we all…and they are “oppressed”. Feel free to leave.