New York Congressman blasts the Jets over anthem stance

Getty Images

When NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the league’s new anthem policy, he hoped to placate those on the right, who have insisted that players should stand, while not alienating those on the left by allowing players to remain in the locker room if they didn’t want to stand on the field while the anthem played. But Goodell took immediate criticism from the left for seeming to turn his back on players who wanted to make a political statement.

“Disgraceful that Jets owner will pay fines for players who kneel for National Anthem,” King wrote. “Encouraging a movement premised on lies vs. police. Would he support all player protests? Would he pay fines of players giving Nazi salutes or spew racism? It’s time to say goodbye to Jets!”

By invoking “Nazi salutes,” King is using incendiary language that is sure to enflame the situation just as the NFL was hoping to find a way to prevent it from dominating the headlines. King is also showing that some on the right will put other alliances aside to focus on this issue: After all, Johnson is only running the Jets right now because his brother, Jets owner Woody Johnson, is serving as President Trump’s ambassador to the United Kingdom. Woody Johnson is a Republican who has given millions of dollars to Republican campaigns, and he would obviously prefer not to see his football team associated with “Nazi salutes” in a tweet from a Republican Congressman. But King went there.

King’s tweet may be the strongest sign yet that the NFL’s anthem problem isn’t going anywhere. Partisan fighting over the issue will continue all summer, and the media will monitor which players stay in the locker room for the anthem when the season starts. Any players who choose to stay in the locker room will be labeled “sons of bitches” by President Trump. That will surely result in a backlash that sees other players stay in the locker room to show solidarity with their teammates. Which will create a greater backlash among those who criticize the players who don’t stand.

As the November elections approach, every candidate in America will be asked to take a side in the great National Football League anthem debate. Candidates who side with the players who remain in the locker room will be blasted as unpatriotic. Candidates who support requiring all players to stand will be blasted for failing to respect our country’s reverence for freedom of speech.

If you thought the NFL’s national anthem stance was a mess before, you ain’t seen nothing yet. It’s going to be an even bigger mess this year.

124 responses to “New York Congressman blasts the Jets over anthem stance

1. Man i really hope this stunt owne of the jets got the ok from the real owner before he made these comments. I lean I’ve heard of someone’s twitter getting hacked but never an NFL team.

2. I am by no means a fan of Peter King, but he does have a point. What happens when Player X from the Jets decides that he is going to protest something like the US Embassy move to Jerusalem by not standing for the anthem. Will Christopher Johnson pay that fine?

3. The players support their fellow citizens who’ve been abused by some police officials across our country and want the broadest exposure to this fact as possible. This protest has NOTHING to do with the flag.

There never was an effective group protest when those protesting are hidden from sight.

“All men are created equal”, 1st Amendment, or tunnel-vision??

Our choice.

4. The only way the NFL can really enforce this rule is to take away high draft picks from teams that do it. Money is no object to these billionaires but if you take away draft picks the team will suck.

5. 33bcannon says:
    May 26, 2018 at 11:19 am
    —————————————

You need to understand nobody cares what they say it’s about. When you kneel during the anthem it’s seen as disrespectful to people that love their country. It’s basically a slap in the face. Any message is instantly lost and there are no excuses PERIOD!!

6. The good old days when teams came out of the locker room AFTER the anthem was played. Us old guys remember. Going to be real fun when some fans in the stands sit in support of the players and others take exception. Also, it is against the published rules on how to display the flag to ever display it horizontally. Nor is it proper to display the flag at night without a dedicated light illuminating it. Stand, don’t stand, but lets start with proper respect in the display of the flag. Jus sayin.

7. 33bcannon says:

This protest has NOTHING to do with the flag.
    ===============================================================

Then I would like to know why they choose to protest when the flag is being spread out on the field, usually with military members participating, and when the national anthem, the lyrics of which represent our military, is playing and all the while they and everyone are being protected by police officers in the stadium.

Why that moment if it’s not about the flag?

8. Your president did this. He succeeded in making the NFL commissioner his lapdog by making two minutes of every game more important than the game itself. Something he couldn’t do years ago. It’s a game to him and all the sheep are proud if his accomplishment. The NFL is wrecked.

9. Just stop playing the National Anthem at sporting events. In addition, stop doing flyovers, bands, halftime shows, and recognition events.

Just. Play. The. Game. Nothing else. Just the game. All the other stuff is empty, meaningless publicity for the league anyway. It’s not genuine at all.

The players can do whatever they want in their free time.

10. Meanwhile…let’s rem what memorial weekend is all about…and honor those who gave their life for this freedom to post. People party and have picnics. Some are even (stupid enough lol) to have weddings this weekend. But we should never forget what the weekend is about. I do have plans to make the weekend a celebration for more than one reason but both include being free. Let the rotten be rotten but i will not forget our men and women who died so we can have those picnics and parties.

11. Never been a fan of Rep. Peter King. To me he’s just another Republican mouth who always sings the Party line. I prefer people who represent the people, not the Party. Sports are sports. Politics are politics. It’s a darn shame some people allow politics to creep into sports. It’s the voters who will decide Kings faith at his next election. Keep politics out of sports!

12. Can someone explain to me why it has to be kneeling during the anthem as the form of protest? I understand it’s a good way to get noticed but I think the core of the cause becomes overshadowed by the action. It’s obviously grossly offensive to many Americans and more importantly especially to the troops, who we owe our utmost respect to. I’m very proud of our first responders nation wide who act in a professional and just manner, often putting their lives in danger for the betterment of society. I’m sorry for those who do not and I would think the majority of the population disagrees with the injustices that happen in this country. However, we as a nation can’t fix these problems if we spend our time arguing over the messengers instead of the message.

13. 33bcannon says:
    This protest has NOTHING to do with the flag.
    ===============================================================

Colin Kaepernick would beg to differ: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

14. I met the Congressman. I don’t like that he is using ‘Police Officer lies’ as part of his agenda. He lied to US. He lied to MY FACE in his office in DC. You lie to my face about what is being done (regarding the WTC) and then lump us all together for this flag issue? I was offended then and I’m offended now, even though they are different issues. But there is a pattern.

Yeah, there are some bad cops out there. It’s NOT A LIE. Most of us are good guys. How about better screening for cops in YOUR district and across America. That is how you can help. Us ‘real’ cops, the ones who don’t beat, taser, or shoot people because of fear, racism or whatever are NOT happy, either. I have to apologize for my former profession all the time now (retired). That sucks, especially since I know I made a positive impact.

Most of us treat everyone with respect and don’t expect it in return. We don’t take things personal. That’s the key to being a good cop. These guys you see do bad things, they are either not fit for the job or took something personal. They stain MY reputation.

So it’s NOT a lie. How about stating the obvious: We need to do a better job of getting rid of bad cops so the majority of cops (and the majority of good people) don’t pay the price for the few bad apples. Like any profession.

Are all teachers pervs because we read about a new scandal everyday? The answer should be obvious. Same goes with the Police.

15. It’s going to be an even bigger mess this year.
    __________

This “mess” isn’t in the policy.

The mess starts with those politicians who will say or do anything to get elected — no lie too absurd to tell, no principle too sacred to violate, no gray area too vague to exploit, and no rule too precise to quibble over.

It’s a lot like the catch rule.

How can a ref accurately rule when the outcome of can game depend upon the tiniest movement of the ball when a player hits the ground?

But you know what will calm everyone down?

Gambling.

16. Lone wizard, if you think your fan dollars is keeping any sports league afloat your a fool! T.v and advertising is what it’s about your little money at the stadium means nothing

17. And as for placating those on the right, any illusions about that were destroyed this morning by Representative Pete King, a Republican from New York, who took to Twitter to blast Jets CEO Christopher Johnson, who said that he wouldn’t support any discipline for any Jets players who chose not to stand for the anthem.

———————-
    Here is the deal. Up to now I have been arguing that the this was never about first amendment rights because those did not say that you gad a right to protest at work if management didnt want it. They cant compel them to stop but they can choose to not reward them with employment and salary and let them make their own choice whats more important to them. And I still say this is not about rights its about workplace rules and its managements rights to say what those are.

Well here we have a case where management has chosen to say its ok. So its ok. That choice is managements right just as much as disallowing it is. Those that dont like it do have their own right to say what they want and make their own choices.

18. Liberalsruineverything says:
    May 26, 2018 at 11:05 am
    The players wanted to inject politics in to the game. They are getting it. Welcome to politics

——————-

I’m fine with the players protesting this issue and was fine with how they did it but this statement is so TRUE. So very TRUE.

19. This really isn’t that complicated. Either EVERYONE gets to protest anything they wish without retribution and with team and league support, or NO ONE gets to anything they wish without retribution and with team and league support. As a private business (with a very public product), the league gets to decide. Just be prepared to listen and nod when a Richie Incognito type promotes his theory of hidden NSA operatives running the matrix.

20. CallMeBilly says:
    May 26, 2018 at 12:07 pm
    33bcannon says:
    This protest has NOTHING to do with the flag.
    ===============================================================

===================================================================

The problem is that you stopped reading after the word flag. Take care of the rest of the sentence, “a country that oppresses black people and people of color”, and I am sure that the man would be proud to stand and salute the flag and what it would then stand for.

21. The players should take pictures of themselves kneeling, put it on a t shirt and wear it out to stand for the anthem. That would be awesome!

22. This is NOT a left / right issue. I have many Democratic friends who think kneeling for the National Anthem is a disgrace. I have no problem with peaceful protest on your own time but when people are FORCED to watch your protest because you are a football player given that stage by the NFL I have a huge problem with. Kneeling for the National Anthem is unpatriotic no matter how you try to package it and tell me “I don’t understand”. Understand this…TIME AND PLACE and what you are doing is neither.

23. Just keep the players in the locker room until after the anthem has been played.

They did this until 1999 when the pentagon….with our taxpayer dollars….started to pay the league to have their players take part in a jingoistic spectacle to drum up support for it’s never ending wars.

24. Let’s remember that the vast majority of the people this bothers are not at the games and are most likely not standing for the anthem either wherever they are. Of all the people I know personally and have watched football with for my entire life who complain about the guys kneeling, I’ve never seen a single one of them stand when the antherm is played on tv.

25. removeemotion says:

==================================================================

That must be why today a stadium that’s 25 years old needs to be replaced with a 2 billion dollar one.

26. SparkyGump says:

================================================================

The Steelers tried that. The one guy who chose to come out had his jersey sales skyrocket.

27. To dictate how one protest is fundamentally ignoring the 1st Amendment, to hell with the 2nd.

I agree with the players to Refuse to be Marginalized, Under-Valued and Speak their Truth.

Owners have agreed to spend millions to contracts for providin specific services…..They don’t OWN the players no more than they own the Flag. 99% of them are afraid of Trump. He has a right to his Opinion, no matter how bigoted it is. I wonder how many folks have actually “benefitted” from his selfish and parochialism.

The fans pay a price for admission to watch and get drunk, that’s their Right, they talk crap to the players, they have a choice to attend or Not… they don’t OWN the players either.

28. Quoting the national anthem: “…o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

People who protested racial discrimination and police brutality are definitely free to do so, in the land of the free. With the new policy suppressing their freedom with the threat of fines, the protesters will also need to be brave. IOW, the protesters are doing what the national anthem advertises. When America is no longer the land of the free, then the national anthem becomes false advertising as it reminds us of how things once were in the home of the brave.

29. defscottyb says:
    May 26, 2018 at 11:12 am
    Stand for your flag. Don’t like America then move.

Crispus Attucks, Buffalo Soldiers, members of the 369th Infantry Regiment, Red Tails of Tuskegee, etc made the ultimate sacrifice for the anthem/flag and only to return to civilian life as slaves, indentured servants, second-class citizens or racially-profiled individuals. You ‘folks’ can’t have it both ways.

30. thetooloftools says:
    May 26, 2018 at 12:48 pm
    ================================================================================

No one forces anyone to watch anything. This too is a first amendment right. If you are uncomfortable with what is going on, you should practice that right, and not watch.

31. when it becomes unpatriotic to protest injustice, then the flag and the national anthem represent tyranny and oppression, not freedom.

32. If it were not for the NFL half those guys would be flipping burgers.

Give them the choice…..follow the team’s rules or work at Burger King.

33. Seriously, EVERYBODY needs to take the blinders off.

First and foremost, these Football Players are getting paid to play football. It’s that simple.

Second, I, as a ticket holder, am paying to watch a game of football. It’s that simple.

I do not care what issues our country has on Sunday’s between 12pm and 12am Monday morning. It’s on the back burner. I feel that way because we have incredible men and women, of all races, in this country upholding our laws and protecting our borders I.e. Me, from something I don’t have the know how, or the balls to do myself.

I have never attended a political rally, free or otherwise. If I am FORCED to watch a demonstration that I do not believe in or care about, I will ask for my money back. It’s not what I paid for. Maybe if I was privileged enough to be blessed with the talent these athletes have to make millions of dollars hand over fist, I’d take some of that pocket change and inject it into problematic situations in our country. And you know what, I wouldn’t tell anybody. I wouldn’t show off on Sunday’s. I’d do it on my own freaking time, because that’s what adults do! They are paid to play football and be role models for their franchise. Not paid activists. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

You people are honestly so stupid to think this is going to change anything. I want my Sunday’s back. #Makesundaysgreatagain.

34. I wish the NFL and other leagues would simply quit playing the anthem at sporting events. It solves this problem and returns sports to what it’s supposed to be – an escape from all that other stuff.

35. Not for nothing, but something tells me that when NFL players find a way to protest “on their own time” for these same causes, the pro-anthem people will STILL have just as much of a problem with it.

36. J says:
    May 26, 2018 at 12:38 pm

————————-
    Because this is a workplace rules issue and was never a rights issue management not only has the right to dictate whether protesting in the workplace ir not but they are also free to pick and choose which protests they are ok with and which not. They are not bound by any rule to be quitable to isdues they dont support, its not required to be fair. Its managements choice completely.

37. nhpats says:
    May 26, 2018 at 1:26 pm
    If it were not for the NFL half those guys would be flipping burgers.

Give them the choice…..follow the team’s rules or work at Burger King

What if half those guys went on strike, would you still watch? We know what happened before, and I strongly feel it needs to happen again. Without the players, the NFL is absolutely NOTHING.

38. STRIKE!!! We know it happened before, and I strongly feel it needs to happen again. Without the players, the NFL is absolutely NOTHING.

39. inallsincerity says:
    May 26, 2018 at 2:03 pm
    nhpats says:
    May 26, 2018 at 1:26 pm
    If it were not for the NFL half those guys would be flipping burgers.

Give them the choice…..follow the team’s rules or work at Burger King

————–

Half of them will be out of the league in 3-5 years anyway….. If these guys don’t want their jobs then other guys will. Nobody is irreplaceable…..nobody.

40. as a Pats fan, I give props to the Jets ownership for taking the stand, on behalf of justice. As an NFL fan, I am considering how much money I want to spend supporting this league, which repeatedly shows it has no moral center. I scoffed at the fans, who opposed the kneeling, and registered their opinion by boycotting the leauge. Now, I am wondering if my conscience might require me to do the same. I might have to wait until all of this patriot winning is over.

41. The Jets demonstrated once last season and never had someone kneel before or after that. It’s not like they have a Malcom Jenkins, Eric Reid, or Kap. Woody Johnson is the US ambassador to the UK I saw Chris Johnson’s statement as a way to keep the locker room together since Woody’s position could be a controversial thing. It also might make the Jets an attractive spot in FA when they’ll be invested heavily in the market for Sam Darnold.

42. inallsincerity says:
    May 26, 2018 at 2:06 pm
    ———————————————

Lol. The weakest union in sports is going strike over this? Probably 5%(that’s being generous) of the players would give up a few paychecks to make a point. 10% are frauds and won’t give up a dime over the issue. The other 85% are bullied to not have an opinion but are pissed and just want to do their job. Sooo good luck with that.

43. nhpats says:
    May 26, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Nobody??? You mean nobody would watch? We’ve seen what scab players did, they had everyone clamoring for the players that went on strike to come back, as the quality of play sucked.

44. Liberalsruineverything says:
    May 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm

We’ll see in 2021, or whenever the next CBA is, if they’re still what you consider the weakest union in sports. I hope and think, they’ve learned their lesson. All the players need to do is save their pennies for the rainy days ahead and strike, I’d bet the owners would have to make concessions. If the players only had the onions of Muhammad Ali.

45. Go ahead and let them strike, then they’d lose their “platform”.

Let’s set the record straight. The NFL is paying these guys to play football. They also just created a fund, that doesn’t require a penny out of pocket from the players, to help with these social issues. So, go ahead an strike. Lose it all. They deserves too. This isn’t about kneeling anymore, for either side. You want to be an activist? Quit your job and do it. Don’t piggy back off of hard working FANS WHO CUT YOUR CHECKS for anything.

You are all morons. I’d rather watch the NFL die right now than give any of those “players” the gratitude of force feeding me something that I do not care about.

46. defscottyb says:
    May 26, 2018 at 11:12 am

Stand for your flag. Don’t like America then move.
    —————————————————–
    Works both ways. If you don’t like protests, then you are free to move.

47. I wonder how long my employer would keep me employed if I knelt at the door each day I went to work, and then explained that I was kneeling out of disrespect and disagreement with the country which allowed my employer to exist and do business? Not long I expect. I think it is great to have ideals and great to be passionate about them. But even better to exercise discretion about whose face I push those ideals into.

48. If you have a problem with people kneeling for the anthem, then you are not a believer in freedom and you should not be living in this country.

49. Put up a flag in the locker room. All players stay in the locker room during the anthem. Then they can stand,sit,sleep or do whatever they want. Once the anthem is over let them on the field. End of story !

50. Seems like the only way you are going to get the attention, of some of these players, is to tell them how their
    protests, are affecting the team’s Bottom Line. Maybe when they go to negotiate that new contract and are told
    that the money isn’t there….they may figure it out….then again, I doubt it.

51. As a veteran i was annoyed at first at the kneeling but as i have watched the continued abuse of minorities in this country i started to see a change was needed, both to the vechile of protest and the reactions to it. The players need to find a more suitable method to express their feelings and we as a country have to work much hard to eliminated racism and persecution of minorities. What we don’t need is a bad example in the White House or racist Reps like King in Congress. The lack of compassion shown on these threads scares me for the future of this country…….disappointed.

52. “I wonder how long my employer would keep me employed if I knelt at the door each day I went to work, and then explained that I was kneeling out of disrespect and disagreement with the country which allowed my employer to exist and do business? Not long I expect. I think it is great to have ideals and great to be passionate about them. But even better to exercise discretion about whose face I push those ideals into.”

This is exactly the problem in this country. We hear what we already believe. The players are in no way saying they “disagree” with our country. They are trying to bring attention to the unbelievable number of unarmed minorities killed by police in this country. Every citizen should be appalled by the number of unarmed citizen killed by police each year. If this murder rate doesn’t bother you don’t love your country.

53. =====
    mikejune says:
    May 26, 2018 at 3:46 pm

=====

This is incorrect, and if you actually read the Constitution, you will see this.

I firmly agree that Congress shall make no law (the first 5 words of the 1st Amendment) to arrest or otherwise punish kneelers. This DOES NOT mean I have to think it’s proper, appropriate or even helpful to their cause.

By allowing the protests, the NFL tacitly endorsed them. Fans voted with their wallet against that, so the NFL was forced to change their policy because they like money. Freedom of speech is absolutely working as intended. Should anyone be arrested, that will change.

54. “Jets CEO Christopher Johnson, who said that he wouldn’t support any discipline for any Jets players who chose not to stand for the anthem.”

Johnson is not required to support any discipline for the players. As the guy running the team its entirely his right to say the players have his permission to protest. The league said they would fine the teams not they players, they said they would then let the teams decide for themselves what they want to do between them and their player. So if Johnson wants to just let the players do as they wish and eat whaever fines come if it that is entirely his perogative.

Just what is the fine? How much would they add up for the amount he has to eat?

55. inallsincerity says:
    May 26, 2018 at 3:05pm

——————————————

By the way Ali’s wife at that time he was protesting Khahlilah Camacho Ali said back in 2016 when all this started that Colin Kaepernick should get off his high horse and apologize for kneeling during the anthem and find other ways to help his people.

56. Muhammad Ali was private contractor with a boxing license. He didn’t have a boss or had a league logo on his shorts. He made his own decisions and got his title and boxing license pulled and almost went to prison. He didn’t impress the black soldiers that had to go to Vietnam and fight that’s for sure. Big difference but if the players want to quit too nobody is stopping them.

How do you know how black soldiers felt about Ali? We’re you in Viet Nam…..no probably not but you are rewriting history to fit your racist agenda. I served in Viet Nam só don’t speak badly about those I served with….proudly. You are talking out of your backside on this so please just shut up.

57. It’s noteworthy that King isn’t made at Trump for not standing up for the flag when it was his time to do so. Fake bone spurs are real. Real social injustice is fake in Pete’s world. That’s messed up!

58. b412 says:
    May 26, 2018 at 4:33 pm

——–

59. inallsincerity says:
    May 26, 2018 at 3:05 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    May 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm

———-

“All the players need to do is save their pennies for the rainy days ahead and strike,”

You just hit the big showstopper issue right there. They dont. They have been getting told this for years yet still they don’t. The majority doesn’t do it for their retirement either.

And even the ones that do save, if you have maybe 5 years to earn your lifetime of sustenance plus you want to have as much as possible for your kids and future generations, to give up one of those years of earning is no small choice. Especially if its more to benefit people that come after you than it is for you and your family.

60. directdriver says:
    May 26, 2018 at 4:53 pm
    Just don’t have the national anthem.

Wrong. Celebrating the Flag and the Anthem when we gather in huge, diverse crowds serve to remind us all that we are a united people who love our great country and what it stands for.

The kneelers want to divide us. They can go to hell.

61. Thanks President Trump for helping to destroy FOOTBALL over such a stupid issue. Just because they would not let you join their stupid club of owners. I used to like you.

62. But there are NOT large numbers of unarmed minorities killed by police in this country. Single digits each year. There ARE though hundreds of minorities killed each day by other minorities. Where is the protest for that?

Being a veteran i think one wasted life is far too many so regardless of how they die its a waste. You cant fathom that because as a racist you are fine as long as your tribe is protected. Everything is not about you and your feras…..have some compassion dude you are too privileged!

63. Liberalsruineverything says:
    May 26, 2018 at 4:53 pm

You read but you don’t comprehend. “If only the players had onions like Muhammad Ali.” My reference to the GOAT was in regards to him willing to sacrifice his freedom for what he believed in. So, you distinguishing between a heavyweight boxer and players in a league was a waste of time and energy. Ali’s second wife is entitled to her opinion, just like in my very humble opinion, I don’t think it served any purpose for her to reveal intimate secrets of their marriage in a recent book.

64. Ask any CEO what the company’s number one asset is and 99.9% of them will say their employees that .1% is the NFL. Once the players and union grow some balls and realize us fans tune in to watch THEM they’ll know the power they have. These pathetic era of owners are all business men. Nothing like the original owners who had Passion for the game and their players. A strike would send the billionaire bullies scrambling to save every dollar possible! Save the your money now players and punch them right in the gut! The owners will scream mercy and bend over backwards to get the revenue stream dieing again.

65. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2018 at 5:40 pm

66. inallsincerity says:
    May 26, 2018 at 5:47 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    May 26, 2018 at 4:53 pm

——————————————

Maybe he had onions, or maybe he was a coward with a big mouth that was brainwashed by a group of of people that hated America. Opinions vary.

67. It amazes me how so many people are perfectly fine with murderers, rapists, druggies, wife beaters and cheaters in the NFL, but you draw the line at a black man exercising his First Amendment rights. That says more about you than it does about him.

68. Freedom of speech does not apply at work. It is a protection from the government trying to oppress its own people.

END OF STORY

Unless it is racially based.

69. =====
    FoozieGrooler says:
    May 26, 2018 at 6:15 pm

=====

When you’re done with that straw man, here’s some reality:

Most people think criminals and cheaters shouldn’t be in the NFL. It’s just that we understand that there’s a difference between allegations someone has done something wrong and proof. When it’s proven, the person is (usually) punished.

On the other hand…

First, as many have said, this is NOT a 1st Amendment issue because the NFL is not the government.

Second, people tend to have stronger reactions to disrespect happening right in front of them (and denying that the kneeling is disrespectful to the flag and anthem is like denying the Emperor was naked in The Emperor’s New Clothes) than what they’ve only heard about.

70. Maybe these politicians and the president should work to find a solution to the problem that makes the players finding a need to kneel, than focusing solely on the players kneeling.

Also how about we put a stop to fans sabotaging the anthem by changing up words or chanting over it. “Home of the Chiefs” from Kansas City, “O!” for Baltimore, or fans in Chicago especially at hockey games screaming during the anthem that get louder throughout.

71. mrzazz41387 says:
    “..Freedom of speech does not apply at work. It is a protection from the government trying to oppress its own people…”

Kentucky clerk Kim David=s not only ‘protested at work’, but she denied people their Constitutional rights and as I recall, conservatives cheered.

72. It’s official: The NFL’s new national anthem policy did not make things better. It made things worse.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I respectfully disagree. The policy isn’t making things worse. If anything ignoring the policy by the very players that caused the policy might make things worse because of the normal backlash from patriots towards those players coupled with backlash of many of those same patriots against individual clubs/owners that encourage the behavior by eliminating any personal consequences and foisting them upon the league as a whole, including those who comply.

The protesters and their supporters are the ones who do not understand the issue. The controversy has never been a free speech issue and it has never been about equal treatment of minorities. The government is not shutting down their right to speech or expression. Their employer is…and only when on company time. The protesters claim it is about the message and not the flag/anthem. Why then do they refuse to move their protest to a different time? The owners most likely wouldn’t say a word if some players protested before or after the anthem because most fans/sponsors would not be offended (though technically it is the same type of protest). The protesters refused to do that simple thing and doubled down on their protests DURING the anthem. At that point, it is not possible to argue that it is about the message because it has shifted to being about the protest itself and the chosen time to do it.

What exactly are they protesting? Police abuse? Minority oppression? POTUS? I know, it has changed many times but just pick a reason. It doesn’t really matter which one. Now, explain what the NFL, a private business, has to do with the cause. There appears to be no rational reason for their behavior or their angst about their employer is establishing standards and choosing to enforce them because their own behavior caused actual damage. The league even offered to donate millions of dollars to groups that aid African-American communities and the player “coalition” flatly refused and somehow tried to call out the league as if it was a bad thing. Subsequently, the league didn’t make the donations because of the coalition’s stance and so the very communities/issues they are supposedly kneeling for were denied money that may have actually made a difference. Sadly, the ability to be seen making a worthless protest superseded the ability to actually make a difference, yet the media and supporters still support and defend the protesters.

The media is attempting to turn this issue into a black vs. white thing and now Rep vs Dem thing because the controversy is an easy sell to some and it generates a lot of profit. It is not a racial issue or a freedom of speech issue or even a CBA issue. It is about whether or not an employer can dictate how employees behave while on the job. It is that simple and it has been validated in court several times including at least one ruled on by SCOTUS.

Imagine you own a fast food burger franchise. Several of your employees decide to greet customers with “Hi, meat is murder and animals harvested for food undergo barbaric treatment throughout their lives so that you can enjoy a %$#$! burger. Can I take your order?” That is a form of speech/protest and it is happening on the clock. Would you say the employer (you) should do nothing while the employees insult some customers and endanger profits or would you tell them to stop and protest on their own time? If you can answer that question honestly then you should be able to see why the protesters are wrong. If you can’t then you are just looking to argue or exert power and are not worthy of having an intelligent/objective debate. Players can say all that protest stuff on their social media while on their own time. They could even call a press conference and the media will happily show up and give their message the attention instead of the method of protest. Game day is NOT the players’ platform. It is the league’s/owners’/clubs’ platform to bring us the game as a sporting event and it should be one free from political controversy.

73. Strange, seems the only ones using racist terms are those who think this kneeling garbage is ok, and is protected under freedom of speech. Oh, the irony.

74. But there are NOT large numbers of unarmed minorities killed by police in this country. Single digits each year. There ARE though hundreds of minorities killed each day by other minorities. Where is the protest for that?

You should not diminish your argument by quoting incorrect facts. In 2016 there were 22 unarmed whites, 17 unarmed blacks, and 8 unarmed hispanics killed by police. In total in 2016 there were 466 whites killed by police, 233 blacks killed by police, 160 hispanics killed, 15 asians killed, and 16 native americans killed.

Death by police is a legitimate issue, and law enforcement should (must) work to reduce these numbers while still keeping LEOs safe.

My objection to Kaepernick and the Kneelers is that they have made death by cop a racial issue, as if only blacks are killed by police due to racism, and he has stated his love for a ruthless dictatorship run by Castro and his disdain for the United States. And for that I think he and his kneelers are ungrateful stooges.

The numbers of people killed by police is tracked by the Washington Post and is available for all to view. It is the only database I know of that keeps track of this statistic.

75. russrpm says:
    May 26, 2018 at 12:41 pm
    CallMeBilly says:
    May 26, 2018 at 12:07 pm
    33bcannon says:
    This protest has NOTHING to do with the flag.
    ===============================================================

===================================================================

——————————————-

I wish I was oppressed. I could use a couple million dollars.

76. I’m going to make a first down effective at 5 yards instead of 10. If you try to take the ball from me after 5 yards; I’m going to kneel in protest with the ball in my hand. Can we question All NFL policies and rules? Why stop at the anthem?

77. Let the fine be $5 million per person kneeling then see how long the owner lets it continue.

78. How dare these athletes. They should only be role models on the things that are important like sports drinks or shoes, not frivolous nonsense like massive police brutality and corruption among vulnerable populations.

How dare they insult the flag, it represents a country that has no issues we need to look at. No gun problems, no racism, no reason to think at all.
    They should all “know their place” and do what their “owners” want. That’s America.

79. First and foremost, you need to know that the BLM movement has been infiltrated by the powers that be. Me personally, have always maintained that Black folks can’t get mad only when they are murdered by white people or cops, not with what’s happening in the inner-cities of America. These killings of unarmed Blacks is not surprising, especially when you consider the history of this country. Once upon a time, lynchings were celebrated. No judge, jury or trial, put on your ‘Sunday Best’ attire and come watch. I mean, they even made postcards out of them. So, none of what has transpired surprises me, it’s in some people’s DNA.

1 1

So you can cling to the history that supports your veiled racist outlook on blacks but don’t care about the preventable loss of life due to police shooting minorities unnecessarily…..? So it doesn’t surprise you therefore it’s ok……if only the tables were turned……you are a coward.

80. The real disgrace is the fact that King supported IRA terrorists and he should be in prison.

81. yes. The players SHOULD do what the owners command them to do. In their sphere, they’re no different than I am in mine. We are employees and there’s certain things we must do if we want to stay employed.

82. defscottyb says:
    May 26, 2018 at 11:12 am
    Stand for your flag. Don’t like America then move.

———

Don’t like that your flags means people don’t have to stand for the anthem? Then move.

83. Hint to the pro-kneelers: Repeatedly calling everyone who disagrees with you racist is one of the things that is actually preventing substantive discussion of the issue, along with the kneeling itself.

84. There’s an inordinate amount of respect for institutions in here, it baffles me that so many are so brainwashed after they reach the age of reason. Don’t ever let any of these institutions ever convince you that you need them or that you’d be in peril without them. To have some of you tell it, the POTUS, the military, the police, and business owners should run the world, and everyone else lives in it at their behest. How can you not see how bananas that is???

Here’s what I really don’t understand about conservatives: you all seem to have this thing about “keeping the government’s hand out of your pocket”, and are just generally wicked paranoid about government as a whole, trying to force you to do or accept things you don’t like, etc…and that’s where you and I would probably agree, to that point, although mine is more based on just not believing in being governed as humans. But you conservatives have the most absurd amount of respect for the institutions that bring all of that upon you. I just don’t understand it. You hate it, but fall completely in line with it, to the point where you would die for it and think less of those who wouldn’t. I can’t even wrap my head around that mindset.

85. I hope they all kneel.

I also hope that the fans who are trying to turn this into a faux-patriotic BS drama get their priorities straight, and start looking in the mirror. These hypocrites sure seem to have no problem rooting for Tyreke Hill who beat his pregnant girlfriend, but HEAVEN FORBID a player peacefully protests in a way they don’t like. #Hypocrites

86. shadywarrior says:
    May 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Based on your comments it would seem you are an anarchist or at least anti-government. That is an assumption much like the bulk of your comment. Many of the “conservatives” believe in the founding principles of the establishment of our particular government. That is not the same as blindly following the people in the government charged with carrying it out. Most would probably believe certain laws must be present and adhered to so that ALL (not privileged or wealthy, not just white, not educated–ALL) citizens can benefit. The protesters (typically liberals) have decided to divide the country by pitting people against each other on the basis of race. This very site does the same thing with union vs management, us vs them and little guy vs “the man”. It is an effective tactic but woefully devoid of objective facts because subjective opinions are now sold as truth. Many of the protesters/liberals believe that the country is racist. It simply is not. Show me one law that favors whites over blacks. There isn’t one that I am aware of. I can, however cite a few that favor blacks over whites. The issue is not the country or laws. At best it is about improper application of the laws. Activists cite cops kill unarmed black men. That implies racism but they always leave out any numbers for comparison. That is due to ignorance or deception. I believe there were more unarmed white men killed by cops than black men but the outrage is about the minorities because of an unproven racial motivation. Blacks commit a high number of crimes. Somehow that can’t be a cultural issue or a values issue so it must be racist targeting by the police. Racism is abhorrent. Unfortunately it is also a revenue generator for media outlets and race-baitors who make their money by stirring up people. That, coupled with a bunch of people that make claims, on social media about racist cops, that go viral and millions of people are conditioned to falsely believe there is an organized attack on the black race by law enforcement. A good chunk of those claims have been proven to be absolute lies by video and even their own admission but that part of the story rarely gets the same level of coverage. That means there are a whole bunch of people that believe a lie. The Kaepernick supporters have been duped in much the same way. What they believe happen is quite simply NOT what actually happened but that doesn’t matter because they have picked a side and will blindly defend it regardless of the truth.

87. We all saw the videos of the cops shooting unarmed black people. Nobody seemed to care, so Colin Kaepernick did something to bring attention to the issue. Somehow, kneeling during the anthem is worse than shooting unarmed black people. That’s what the NFL is saying. If the black players go along with that, they should expect things to get worse. If white players don’t support their black teammates, that’s saying a lot. Every black player should call in sick the first Sunday of the season, and see how long Roger Goodell has his job.

88. “But Goodell took immediate criticism from the left for seeming to turn his back on players who wanted to make a political statement.”

Politics and Football do NOT BELONG in the same ARENA!

An American by Birth – Patriotic BY CHOICE!

89. gunnyfw says:
    May 26, 2018 at 8:30 pm
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

King had every right to support the IRA. He saw what was going on in Ireland. Everyone else was supporting the UDF and the UVA as well as the largest terrorist group in Northern Ireland, the British Army.

90. king went to an elitist college while I joined the Marines for four years and went to vietnam.He got three deferments and the president?He actually said his personal vietnam was not gettting std’s while having relationships with multiple women during that time.So your all fired up because your president said it was bad?Seriously? laughing pretty dang hard

91. Standing for a flag is stupid… False patriotism at it’s finest. I hope plenty of players kneel, raise their fist, or do something.The NFL will eventually be forced to just keep all players in the locker room like in the past and this fake love for the flag, anthem and country can stop

92. danvilledan says:
    May 26, 2018 at 1:49 pm
    -What about fans who stand and do not remove their hat and talk to their buddy next to him the whole time the anthem is played

What about them? Are they protesting during working hours at a place where someone paid to see them do something else?

They have sworn allegiance to the entity known as the NFL, and all that it entails, for a great deal of money. More so than nearly all could make anywhere else at this point in their lives. They have the same choice I have if I disagree with company edicts. Even those that may cross political lines.

93. kairn42 says:
    May 27, 2018 at 11:33 am
    Where was all this outrage when Tebow knelt in protest?

The next time Tim kneels in protest will be the first. Folks should Google before making prejudicial comments.