Christian McCaffrey downplays change in muscle size

Getty Images

A trend has developed in pictures posted to social media of Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey on and off the field this offseason.

Comments stream in regarding the size of McCaffrey’s muscles and questions about what he’s been doing this offseason in order to create a more ripped profile in 2018. McCaffrey is downplaying any changes, though.

He said “it’s not like I’ve transformed” and wonders why people thought he was tiny last year, although he does cop to gaining five pounds of “good muscle.” The second-year back says his goal in increasing his strength is to break more tackles than he did as a rookie and doesn’t want that to come at the expense of his speed.

“We’ll see. I just want to play where I feel fastest, where I feel most explosive, where I feel most comfortable,” McCaffrey said, via the Panthers website. “I don’t want to be too heavy or too light. I just go off comfort. If I grow, I grow.  I think I’m definitely still growing. I’m 21 still, so hopefully, as I get older and older, I’ll continue to grow physically and mentally.”

Whether the muscles are reason or not, the Panthers will be thrilled to get more from McCaffrey this year.

37 responses to “Christian McCaffrey downplays change in muscle size

1. Carolina spent a top ten pick on a lesser back than both Kamara and Hunt!!! Say no to 1st round and especially white running backs…

2. There are two types of players in the NFL. Ones caught using PEDs … and ones who have not been caught.

3. Fact is, McCaffrey was Dave Gettleman’s final mistake. He was not what we thought he was. His production was not that of a 1st rd RB.(no. 8 pick)as I recall. The Panthers could have gotten way more from instate player, Tyreek Cohen. He is way more valuable and a much later pick, to boot.

That said, I hope he has a great year, since I’m a Panther fan.

4. redlikethepig says:
    May 29, 2018 at 7:53 am

——————–

Or avacado ice cream like Brady eats. So, there is a 3rd.

5. sometimes I laugh when I think about keyboard couch warriors firing off comments about a professional athlete’s physical traits. They should make a TV show where the boldest of the comment board are filmed doing physical activities so we can all marvel at the absolute art that it would produce.

6. Why when an NFL player gains five pounds of muscle over the offseason, do the PEDS comments immediately start to fly? I’m sure McCaffery has adjusted his workouts and diet accordingly, and has put on a few pounds of muscle over his rookie year. Not so hard to believe. In addition, he seems too smart to go the PEDs route, and I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss him as a s0-so RB, and a drafting error, as some seem to be doing…

7. Do you guys realize that the NFL tests for PEDs? It’s such a shame that PEDs is the first thing that you people assume. He’s an NFL player… it’s his job to be in shape. Some of us work our 9-5 at a desk, cash register, factory line, whatever. He’s an NFL player. His job is the weight room, but because we never see that part, we just automatically assume the worst.

Kinda pathetic, really.

8. I love all the people on here calling him roid cheat just because he’s gained muscle. The idea that you can only gain strength and muscle by cheating must be comforting to people allergic to hard work.

9. His father did the same thing: came to the NFL as an average player, and then worked on his body and his fundamentals until he developed into an very good player.

10. my_old_name_was_offensive says:

May 29, 2018 at 7:30 am

——————
    and say no to Lamar Jackson type QBs. ha ha ha

11. geofferypeterson says:

May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

——————–
    Sorry but not when you’ve been eating right and lifting since age 15. It would be one thing if he never worked out but….

12. Guy had a solid rookie season. Over 1,000 combined yards which was more than Jonathan Stewart. He was the third RB option on the team behind Stewart and Newton.

Slow day in news if we are busting on a guy for gaining 5 pounds of muscle to improve his performance and stamina for the season. The guy has always been solid. Cut him some slack!

I agreee with “Jimmylikesthat”, time to get back to Belichick, Brady, and the floundering Patriots stories!

13. kennylc2015 says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:29 am

Kinda pathetic, really.

——————

Gomer Manning used undetectable Chinese roids from Guyer and literally nothing happened to him or others who used the same stash from his wife.

lol

WHat good is the test if it’s not going to get out in front of the way the test is set up?

Some of you are so naive.

14. Called it draft day that Kamara would be the better pro and it’s really not even close.

I watched 3 or 4 Panthers’ games last year and Christian did NOTHING to stand out. He looks small, slow top speed, and barely quicker than linebackers, and showed no ability to rush the ball, especially between the tackles.

He was only a rookie so we’ll see if he develops. But honestly, he looks like a 3-4 round scat back to me.

15. geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

———

I’d be willing to bet that most of the people who post here haven’t seen the inside of a gym in over a decade. I can tall you that at 57 I lift almost every day and I have pushed my bench press max from 245 to 320 in the last 18 months. If I can do that at 57, a 21 year old athlete can put on 5 lbs of muscle in a few months easily.

16. kennylc2015 says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:29 am

Kinda pathetic, really.

——————————-

The naive gonna naive.

17. nhpats says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:08 am

geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

———

———————-

The subtle brag is strong with this one…

18. I love how the link was worded as such to get these responses.

A 22 year kid who gained 5 pounds of muscle – what a scandal!

This kid is an excellent player. Fast as hell and his QB loves him.

This has more to do with the color of his skin than anything else

19. So Crates says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:20 am
    nhpats says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:08 am

geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

———

———————-

The subtle brag is strong with this one…

——-
    Not subtle and not bragging. Just pointing out the mindlessness of assuming this kid or any athlete needs steroids to put on muscle at 21 years old. The kid is still raging with both testosterone and growth hormone. He can probably put on another 5-10 lbs of muscle this year if he wants.

20. Well, first off, 5 lbs of muscle doesn’t say he’s juicing to me. I don’t get into the sauce myself, but buddies and teammates of mine who have were putting on 20-30 lbs, although they could have been using different, errrr…”supplements”, haha.

HOWEVAHHH…I think the majority of professional athletes all take SOMETHING (or at least have in the past), and we’re extremely naive to think otherwise. Nobody can eat that much tuna lmao.

21. nhpats says:

May 29, 2018 at 10:08 am

geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

———

/////////////////////////////

is this an off season championship?

22. —————————————————————–
    PAUL SOUSA says:

I love how the link was worded as such to get these responses.

A 22 year kid who gained 5 pounds of muscle – what a scandal!

This kid is an excellent player. Fast as hell and his QB loves him.

This has more to do with the color of his skin than anything else
    —————————————————————-

What are you implying here? That roidism is racism? You must have had more than your share of coffee this morning to come up with that one.

23. I believe athletes should be able to use anything they wish to improve performance. at least that way we wouldn’t have to deal with the ridiculous testing where some get caught and others don’t. with todays sports medicine using steriods doesn’t need to be as damaging as it once was.

24. silvernblacksabbath says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:39 am
    geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am
    ——————–
    ======-=

Sorry, but that’s nonsense. I don’t care if he started eating and working out when he was 2, it doesn’t mean he can’t add muscle at 21.

Do people realize there are different ways to work out to see different results? If he was doing workouts based up dexterity, flexibility and speed since he was 15 and then switched to a free-weight based, muscle growth workout the chances are that his gains would be very rapid?

I realize it’s acceptable (apparently) to have an opinion without knowing what you are talking about, but I find it depressing.

25. nhpats says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:08 am
    geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

———

17 0 Rate This
    ————————————————
    Forget the naysaying neckbeards, that’s good stuff right there. Gives me hope as 40 finally is about to catch up to me, haha. Respect.

26. tylawspick6 says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:00 am

redlikethepig says:
    May 29, 2018 at 7:53 am

——————–

Or avacado ice cream like Brady eats. So, there is a 3rd.

——–

You must have very little understanding of the human body and basic science if you really believe that.

27. nhpats says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:08 am

geofferypeterson says:
    May 29, 2018 at 9:33 am

———

——-

Don’t sell yourself short now, tell everyone how you also ran a marathon and climbed mount Kilimanjaro during the same time.

28. He was already pretty big for a lean, natural athlete (most 5’11 guys over 200lbs are pretty fat) and adding just a few pounds of muscle can make a huge visual difference.

29. “my_old_name_was_offensive says:
    May 29, 2018 at 7:30 am
    Carolina spent a top ten pick on a lesser back than both Kamara and Hunt!!! Say no to 1st round and especially white running backs…”

———

You should have left your new comments with your old name.