Laurent Duvernay-Tardif graduates medical school on Tuesday

Getty Images

There will be a doctor in the house for Chiefs games this season and there will be one on the field when the team’s offense has the ball.

Right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is graduating from McGill University’s medical school on Tuesday, ending an eight-year process that he’s completed while also starting 38 games for Kansas City over the last three seasons.

Duvernay-Tardif said he plans to do a residency in emergency medicine, but that football remains his main priority while the medical degree is a “really strong Plan B” for the time being. He also thanked Chiefs coach Andy Reid, whose mother also went to medical school at McGill, for giving him the space to pursue both interests simultaneously.

“Not all the coaches saw my second career with that same optimism,” Duvernay-Tardif said, via ESPN.com. “Some coaches asked me, ‘How do we really know you want to play football?’ Coach Reid never asked me that question. With him, it’s always been, ‘We know you want to play football because you’re here.’ He trusts me. That’s one thing I respect and admire about him. He told me that he was going to do anything he could to help me succeed. It’s been four years now, and Coach Reid has stood by that plan. Every year when we end the season, we have our exit meeting with coach Reid, and he’s always asking me where I am in school and what the plan is for the offseason.”

Duvernay-Tardif has said in the past that he’d like to have “M.D.” on his jersey once he graduated and he posted a picture to social media that showed he’s wearing a suit jacket with “Dr. Duvernay-Tardif” over his No. 76 for graduation day.

50 responses to “Laurent Duvernay-Tardif graduates medical school on Tuesday

1. It’s a heck of a thing that John Dorsey found LDT in Canada and he has turned into a quality NFL player. heck of an achievement that he can graduate from medical school as an NFL player.

2. John Frank, who was a pretty decent TE for the Niners in their glory years, quit football prematurely to go to med school. Like most top athletes who go to med school he became an orthopedic surgeon.

3. Andy Reid is a very decent human being. Eagles fans always appreciate that about him, at least I did.

4. Unbelievable, and sincere congratulations to him.

And, finally, an NFL player who will use his education to do something productive post football.

5. Andy Reid has always been a person that just gets it. You can critisize some of his calls on the field etc (I still find him to be one of the best coaches of the past 10 or so years by far), but hes always had good relationships with his players and treated them as people and professionals. Its no wonder players always seem to want to go back and play for him.

6. And congrats to this guy…the truth is if he did emergency medicine TOMORROW, and stopped playing football he’d still make more money in his lifetime than a lot of NFL players will and have…but he WANTS to play football. Not many people have the options like him.

7. That is very commendable indeed. But far too many have a plan B starting about three years after NFL Retirement that, consists of Unemployment and/or Gov. Welfare Programs.
    Finish your Degrees and learn some Job Skills as football will not last forever !

8. McGill is an excellent school up in Canada, it’s their Harvard. But we’d barely know, since America basically treats legitimate foreign degrees like garbage and basically makes you jump through hoops to convert any kind of international accreditation, as if nowhere else could possibly properly educate a person. Totally has nothing to do with money and making you spend money in America though….

9. Showing an interest in the players on a more personal level is a skill Reid learned from Mike Holmgren from their time in GB. Mike was the same way when he was HC. (Not sure if he continued that in Seattle or Cleveland). Still gotta give Andy credit though. He was smart enough to understand the value of interpersonal communication. Definitely deserves some credit.

And naturally, well played by LDT for huge success in and out of football. Dude’s crushing it.

**Tips Cap**

10. Not a Chiefs fan, but congratulations to him, and the Chiefs organization for supporting him with his academic career.

Medical school is hard enough by itself, so to do this while playing pro football is a remarkable achievement.

11. shadywarrior, hard to understand why youd use this platform which is celbrating someones success to be a downer and just have to stick something negative in there like you wouldnt be able to eat lunch unless you did.
    pretty sad considering what this guy has accomplished and will accomplish and all that is positive.
    hope you have a better brighter day

12. Incredible achievement and discipline needed to complete that degree while still being a professional athlete.

THIS is who the NFLPA should have as a President in the future.

13. Great achievement. Hopefully he actually gets to practice medicine someday and save lives.

14. An outstanding achievement – hearty congrats. Other thing to remember with Laurent is that English is not his first language – so learning how to play O-line in the NFL is extremely difficult but he has done it in his second language and completed his medical degree concurrently. Probably one of the smartest players in the NFL and he’s a Canadian.

15. shadywarrior says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:39 am

—————-

That’s not true for Canada based on my experience. Canadian University may not be recognized as Harvard or some of the other ivy league schools, but UBC, Waterloo, Queens, Western, Toronto, McMaster, Dalhousie and McGill are all seen as equivalent to most great US universities by US employers.

16. uhh…Laurent, my opinion of your intelligence just sank…ER doctors are the worst paid doctors. Usually contract and not employed by the hospital. No benefits. Paid per shift worked not a salary. Have to work nights, weekends, holidays all the time. Have to deal half the time with the down and outs of society. No actual doctor patient relationship just an endless parade of strangers. lucky to make a measly 150k a year.

Try dermatology – no calls, excellent pay (you’ll make a million easy/year) or if you want a tougher specialty try orthopedic surgery (million and a half). Lots of excellent specialties that pay well. Avoid the ones that need in hospital presence on call.

17. areyahappynow says:
    May 29, 2018 at 11:04 am
    hope you have a better brighter day

15 3 Rate This
    ————————————————
    I mean, I think saying what an excellent school McGill is qualifies as well-wishes. I didn’t say anything negative about the man, I’m impressed with his accomplishment. I do use PFT as a platform for some social commentary, yes. But I do it hoping to open people’s eyes to some BS that goes on that a lot of people just accept as “the way” and don’t think to question. I look at life in a very different light, and I tend to think it’s accurate, so I just want everyone else to have a chance to see what I see. If I’m down on anything, it’s the way we do/perceive a lot things in America, and really, just in human society in general. So that’s where I’m coming from. My day is fantastic. Another day living above the BS. Cheers and positive vibes to you, my friend.

18. electricboogalo says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:24 am

Good for him. He obviously didn’t play for and SEC “school.”

For ‘an’ SEC school. Perhaps you did?

19. If he’s not allowed to add Dr. to his jersey that a shame.

I mean who remembers Chad Johnson, I mean Ocho Cinco…

The difference is it took LDT 7 years to accomplish his title, Chad spent all of 30 minutes running down to the courthouse. C’mon roger, get something right.

20. stucats says:
    May 29, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Canadians are just smarter than Americans.
    _________________________
    Can’t say that after electing Justin and getting higher taxes and a slowing economy when Americans elected someone that cut taxes and regulations and now have 3.9% unemployment, the highest ever small business index and median household income, lowest ever black and hispanic unemployment etc etc.

Don’t be smug, it’s not a good look for a Canadian. Instead, be helpful and informative like I was for you.

21. John Dorsey did not “discover” LDT.
    Brett Veach scouted,discovered, and recommended him.
    Dorsey just happened to be the CEO at the time and made the “pick”.
    Dorsey’s picks are very unimpressive

22. That one line about other coaches doubting his dedication to football is part of what’s wrong with athletics in general. They ask these kids to give everything and just focus on football and that doesn’t prepare them for life.

Where are these coaches once the kid is hurt or washed-up? They’re nowhere to be found and they’re on to brainwashing the next kid.

It’s part of the reason the athletes go broke and find trouble after their playing careers are over. Less than 1% of college athletes are drafted and make it more than 3 years in the NFL.

23. exinsidetrader says:

**************************************************************************
    you were as helpful and informative as Trump is to Mexico, it’s called freedom of speech which is something that Canadians have and are proud of it EH!

24. I think it would be cool if they allowed him to put M.D. after his name. Why not? It’s an impressive feat by any standards.

25. exinsidetrader says:

**************************************************************************

Not to mention his “helpful and informative” post was copy and pasted directly from one of President Game Show Host’s tweets — you’re gonna want to take all of the information contained therein with a grain of salt.

26. J will says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:29 am

_______________________________________
    Me too. When the Eagles hired Doug Pederson, I hoped that Pederson would have all of the good qualities of Reid, such as the way he treats the players with respect and gets them to respond to him, while hoping Pederson did not make the same mistakes as Coach Reid. It appears the Eagles got just that. I applaud Reid because he will leave a good legacy of coaches who are also good people. Unless the Chiefs play the Eagles, I hope he gets a ring one day. People in Philly will be happy about that. No one hates him there, it was just time for him to leave when he did.

27. It’s amazing how some can work their tale off and be smart also as well as athletic gifted. I was on jury service once and I noticed the judge looked fairly young, no were near as old or stuffy as you would expect. Done some digging and to my amazement he was in his early 40’s and a
    qualified Veterinary surgeon also. Wow!

28. vetdana says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:38 am
    …consists of Unemployment and/or Gov. Welfare Programs.
    ____________
    I don’t think I’ve ever played the race card before, but what they hey was that man? The simple fact is that making an NFL roster at all requires an incredible work ethic that will more than qualify these individuals for the majority mid-level white collar jobs. Of course there are exceptions,but for every Dexter Manley, there are 10,000 not-Dexter Manleys. And even he had a work ethic that eventually allowed him to overcome the deficiencies of his upbringing.

Grow up.

29. My son is a D1 Offensive lineman at Montana State. He’s applying to medical schools and is keenly aware of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

It’s great that my son has a role model to look towards for a path forward. Oh, well the Med school is happening at least, not sure the NFL will come calling though.

30. walllamp947460497 says:
    May 29, 2018 at 12:18 pm

1 37 Rate This

I understand he got thumbs down because he started with an insult. But overall, this reads like he has enough experience in the medical field to know where the money is without the job dominating your life. Solid take overall. And the initial jab screams big ego so naturally poster MUST have some type of medical degree. (Most) Cops and doctors must take the same course…Inflated Ego 101. lol

31. I understand he got thumbs down because he started with an insult. But overall, this reads like he has enough experience in the medical field to know where the money is without the job dominating your life.
    __________________
    I’m not sure he actually does. If he has actually completed his residency, he would have done his rotation in the ER and know that many, if not most, ER doctors are there because they feel that’s where they can do the most good. It was the most challenging, devastating, and rewarding experience of my life, and I completely understand why many doctors would choose to spend their careers there. More props to Laurent.

32. bullcharger says:
    May 29, 2018 at 12:17 pm
    shadywarrior says:
    May 29, 2018 at 10:39 am

—————-

10 1 Rate This
    ————————————————
    Missed this comment earlier. Good to know!