Vikings concentrating on red zone work for Kirk Cousins

AP

The Vikings were pretty good in the red zone last year.

But then they changed quarterbacks and lost their play-caller.

That’s why they’re spending so much time on the close-to-the-end zone stuff in OTAs, as quarterback Kirk Cousins adapts to his new environment.

We’ve spent an awful lot of time, I think this is our fourth day in the red zone,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said, via Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “I think it’s just important we get a lot of work in there. We put a big emphasis on it last year. We’re going to continue to do so.”

While Cousins has found some early rapport with tight end Kyle Rudolph, the rest of the passing game is a work in progress. With new coordinator John DeFilippo putting in new things, there’s a big emphasis on installation this time of year, with a new set of basics like snap counts and play calls.

“That’s why we’re doing it. It’s not easy,” Cousins said. “It is condensed. You have to be on the screws. Your throws have to be that much more accurate. The routes have to be that much more perfect in terms of the depth, the cut and the timing. That’s why we’re practicing it right now. . . .

“Each play helps build a confidence. Helps build a rapport with the receivers, with the tight ends. Try to get on the same page with the centers, protection calls. It is a lot of new, a lot of chemistry that still has to be built.”

Of course, the Vikings paid Cousins a ton of money to build it, so their expectations are going to be high.

56 responses to “Vikings concentrating on red zone work for Kirk Cousins

1. Glad to hear they are working on this. From what I hear Cousin’s isn’t the greatest QB in the Red Zone. He is great at the deep ball, and medium throws, but bad in the Red Zone. Lets hope he can find successs. Case Keenum, even thou he was somewhat flawed in some areas, was great in the Red Zone.

2. Many critics last year so the Vikings would be lucky to get to 8 and 8. I was one of the people who hoped for the best but wasn’t sure it was coming. They proved everyone wrong. The message in that for me is that there’s a great coaching staff in place, trust them. If this is where they want to work, I’m sure it’s the right thing to do. I also wasn’t convinced when they traded for Cousins, but I’m starting to believe that maybe these professionals know what they’re doing and this amateur doesn’t. SKOL, go Vikings

3. Hoping for the best with the Vikings this season, as I always do. Last season definitely exceeded expectations. Yeah Keenum is gone, and O.C. is in NY.
    Hoping Cousins & the new OC, click. The team knows what Cousins needs to work on…so IMO….whatever it takes.

4. Glad to see the coaching staff clearly recognizes Cousins shortcomings and aren’t pretending that he is actually an elite QB.

Cousins badly needs work in the red-zone – big-time! The game happens fast inside the 20 and so far in his career, it’s been too fast for Cousins.

If, (big IF) he can get coached up, then I see the Vikings being a real threat to win it all.

5. Cousins is a very good QB.
    I’m not going to try and pretend he’s not.
    Is he elite or special, no, and the verdict is still out whether or not you can truly win with him.
    Win with him in a postseason and Championship sense.

I honestly thought the Vikings were better served resigning Keenum, both from a financial standpoint as well as from a continuity sense.
    I keep hearing that the financial numbers don’t matter, but they will if they start squeezing Star/role players out of contracts on your defense.

Either way, both Keenum and Cousins are still light years ahead of what you had in Bridgewater.
    A damaged Bridgewater, at that.
    The Viking Brass was wise to finally acknowledge that.

6. Combine a 4k yards QB with Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Rudy….you get yet another NFC North Title and a deep run at the Superbowl…Cousins will have a great shot at MVP.

7. By about Week 6, the Vikings will fully realize why the Redskins didn’t fork over the money for Cousins. Depending on what goes with the Jets, Cousins could be trailing Keenem, Bradford, and Teddy in the QB rankings. At that point, forget about the money, it will come down to just winning ball games, another of Cousin’s area of weakness, especially big games so he shares that trait with the Viking franchise.

8. Smart move by the Vikings. Cousins does have a hole in his game in the red zone, especially the corner fade balls that require some touch. Quick slants, Cousins is above average. Moving right and throwing, he’s OK. Moving left and throwing, not so much.

Cousins flaw that has, and will continue to be the cause of losing football games is running the offense with less than 4 minutes to go in a half/end of the game. His decision making has been horrible. This problem may have been partially caused by Jay Gruden, however. There are many times when Cousins couldn’t get the team lined up because he was busy looking to the sideline to get a play from the coach… then end up in a bad play and no time left on the play clock to check out of it. A top 5 veteran QB should be running the offense, not staring at the sideline looking for a play.

9. wafflestomp says:

May 31, 2018 at 9:45 am

Cousins is a very good QB.
    I’m not going to try and pretend he’s not.
    Win with him in a postseason and Championship sense.

A damaged Bridgewater, at that.
    The Viking Brass was wise to finally acknowledge that.

———–

Well Stated sir.

I agree Keenum is better from a financial standpoint, but I think there is also a big question mark if Keenum can actually continue playing at this level. Cousin’s might not do much better than 13-3, or even do that good at all (It’s hard to do that good. Most likely win 10-12 games), but I think he gives a little bit more of a sense of consistency that this high level of QB play can continue. Kirk Cousin’s only knock is a losing record, but much can be blamed to the front office in DC for that. Keenum has been dreadful most of his career, but last year a lot of things went right for the Vikings. Will he that good when things go wrong? If you watched a lot of Vikings games, many of Keenums throws were sooo bad, and it was a miracle they somehow landed in the hands of diggs or thelien. Kirk has a better arm, and a better skill set.

I agree, that we don’t know if Kirk can win consistently with a better cast of talent around him. There are two sides of Kirk Cousin’s people go with. One says he is a good QB but has been held back by bad teams, and the other says he is a average to bad QB. We’ll find out which one is right.

10. trophylessvikings says:
    May 31, 2018 at 9:33 am
    you like that?….no…i dont think cousins does because he cant hit those throws on a dime der hey
    ——————————————————————–

lmao

11. I was imagining how good Keenum might’ve been with an already good supporting cast and a solid year under his belt. Zimmer never endorsed him, wouldn’t even call him their starter while he was starting! There must’ve been a personality clash.

The Vikings have had three years in a row with Pro-Bowl caliber play from the quarterback position. It’s a huge risk for Zimmer to sign an unproven guy to the highest contract in the NFL, after getting so close with Keenum.

Vikings fans aren’t going to want to say it, or agree, but if they don’t at least get to the SuperBowl……….it’s a bust and a failure. Either that, or they’re in “rebuilding mode” and are planning for the future. I guess we’ll see.

12. cabosan1978 says:
    May 31, 2018 at 9:51 am
    Buyers remorse – there is a reason Washing let the guy walk MN

—————————————————————————————————
    Tell me all about all the smart decisions “Washing” has made in the last decade. You have to admit the organizations are in very different places and if I’m going to think one of them is right and one is wrong, I think that is an easy call.

More realistically, Kirk is a better than average starter who will be surrounded with much more talent in MN then he ever was in Wash, now we will see how what he does with it.

13. Cousins has struggled in the red zone throughout his career. This is no secret. It’s also no secret that Washington never had much of a run game, which is a QBs best friend in the red-zone. Also, DeFilippo is known as an offensive guru that specializes in red-zone play design. I’m really not too worried about it.

14. Keenum was very strong in the red zone, maybe due to his mobility. Like Zim said, Keenum also had the gonads to throw in tight windows, something I understand Cousins hesitates to do. If Cousins needs work on that aspect of his game and the red zone, then at least they’re addressing the issue. Wafflestomp is right, Cousins isn’t close to elite — I just hope he can become good in the red zone. And I just keep waiting for Keenum’s glass slipper to break into a million pieces, but hope for his sake it doesn’t.

15. Waffle – I appreciate the insightful comment, and thanks for your effort in stopping the nonsense back and forth between pack/Vikes fans on this forum.

I do disagree with your thoughts on Case though. as a rube who watched every play multiple times last seasons (every season for that matter). While I was happy for the team, and happy for Case who seems like a genuine good guy. He never passed the eye test. He is elusive, and good at extending plays. It did hurt him not having Cook the entire year. I felt watching him it was only a matter of time before the historic run was going to come to an end. In my opinion the things that didn’t sit right about his game were too many wide open WR’s missed. I get every QB misses them from time to time, but on average there were a handful of times each game he left big plays on the table. He was more comfortable with the dinks and dunks than the big shots, when he did take the big shots he lacked the arm strength to get the ball there on time or with velocity his WR’s made him look good in a lot of situations last year. The other thing and this got slightly better as the year went on, but his inability to hit a WR in stride or put the ball in a spot where the WR could avoid the big hit was a problem in almost every game.

Bottom line we got the most out of the 2Mil we paid case last year, and he is a good guy so I wish him the best, but I’m glad my team didn’t decide to pay him 20Mil a year as I just don’t see him as the guy the can win the game you need a QB to win, even with the roster this team has there will be a game or two you need the QB to sling it all over the field and win one you shouldn’t not sure case will ever be that guy in the NFL.

Admittedly I’m also a Bridgewater guy, I get the arm strength concerns, but the guy is/was a leader of men, and I enjoyed watching him play. Sadly with the injury I don’t know if we will ever see what he truly could have been, and quiet his many critics, sounds like he is doing well at NYJ OTA’s so hope he can fully recover and have a chance to play in the league again.

16. The Vikings started off this year going for it, then after signing two key pieces just fell off. Then they had a draft that mirrored the last few that have fizzled. Project OL, TE, DL. Rodgers is back. This season is not going to be handed to them like last year.

17. As a Viking fan for the past 45 years, I grown accustomed to this team’s revolving door at the QB position as being the norm. Last season Case Keenum put up the best season of any Viking QB this decade, so I was not pleased when they let him walk.

That said, I think the coaches were less than pleased with Keenum’s play during the playoffs, as well as his tendency to be careless with the ball. I think they felt that if they wanted to move to the next level, they were going to have to move on from Keenum, and that he was playing at his peak.

The team took a huge risk letting Keenum walk and spending more money to bring in Cousins; I’m hoping this time the risk pays off. If it doesn’t, I suspect heads will roll in the front office and on the coaching staff.

18. cabosan1978 says:
    May 31, 2018 at 9:51 am
    Buyers remorse – there is a reason Washing let the guy walk MN.

Im sure the plan was all along to trade for Alex Smith who over the last 3 seasons averaged 20 TD passes vs Cousins 27, who has a lower completion percentage over that same time and averages 3676 yards per season vs Cousins 4392. Smith is also 5 years older and his contract with Washington is 94 million and the skins gave up a 3rd round pick in the trade.

19. cabosan1978 says:
    May 31, 2018 at 9:51 am
    Buyers remorse – there is a reason Washing let the guy walk MN.
    _______________
    Yes, as is the case with every single Free Agent ever. Washington isn’t exactly well regarded in terms of astute Free Agency decisions either so I won’t worry too much about that.

20. cabosan1978 says:
    May 31, 2018 at 9:51 am

Buyers remorse – there is a reason Washing let the guy walk MN.
    __________

Aren’t you the guy who said Green Bay’s defense ate up Cousins every time they played and that he can’t beat them? Yeah, your credibility is shot.

21. vikesfansteve says:
    May 31, 2018 at 10:48 am

—————
    They only play the Packers twice a year…and have a 4-2 record in the last six games…and they won the division 2 years ago when Rodgers was healthy…no guarantee anyone stays healthy all season, which is why it’s important to have a solid, well balanced roster with some depth…the Packers just showed last year that they were too reliant on one player, as both teams lost their starting QB’s and had drastically different results….

22. Wow, I’m impressed with all the football knowledge and insight displayed in this thread. All you scouts and coaches must have the day off so you can catch up on your social media contacts, huh? It’s awful nice of you to educate us fans with inside information gleaned from your years working in the NFL. I especially appreciate the lowdown on how the Vikings got hosed in the Cousins signing and how they messed up letting Keenum go. Also, how they had the season handed to them last year because Rodgers was out and couldn’t single-handedly deliver another division title. This would have proven AR’s super powers because he would have handed the Vikings a losing season while only playing them twice a year. It must be because two AR wins are really worth six wins in the standings. My math skills must be messed up because I was under the impression that if GB had won both regular season games, Minnesota would have an 11-5 record. Oh, well. Back to school I guess.

23. There’s no doubt Cousins has struggled in the red zone the last couple years, but I noticed that he performed very well in the red zone in 2015. That tells me he’s able to excel under the right circumstances and it’s up to the coaching staff to figure out how to maximize his production in that area.

I’ll also note that Keenum wasn’t anything special in the red zone before he joined the Vikings last year.

24. It never ends with some of you guys. Cousins hasn’t even played a down for us yet and you all already have decided that he’s worth less. Did anybody read the comment above listing cousins stats vs Smith? Both would be the best qb we have had in forever, and cousins is clearly posting superior numbers and did it on a far inferior team. Now he goes to an already supremely talented team with all the tools there for him, and for some unknown reason, so many of you think he’s suddenly gonna be a terrible qb. If he puts up 4k yards and 27 tds this season with the Vikings, it’s hard to imagine that we wouldn’t be even better than we were last year. Cousins is not in the class of elite qbs and I’m not sitting here trying to tell you he is. But what I am telling you is that he is younger, healthy, and consistent with his completion percentage, high td rate, and passer rating… I can’t begin to fathom how anyone would want keenum over cousins souly based on keenums last season. Cousins has been putting up great numbers for years, keenum was pretty terrible up until last year. Do none of you want that kind of consistency for the first time in as long as any of us can remember? One of the guys above talked about keenum not passing the eye test and how something just never seemed right, and how he really didn’t play well at the end. For me, I felt the same. I felt like I was holding my breath and full of anxiety the entire time he was playing. I for one am excited to be able to watch the games without qb being a position that we have to worry about so much. Cause at the very least, cousins will make big deep throws and good mid range throws consistently and put us in a situation where we aren’t worried about where the play is going as soon as it’s snapped. We are never going to get another shot at a qb of cousins quality in free agency because quite frankly, qbs never hit free agency any more. So short of developing another draft pick, this was the best and only upgrade we were ever going to get here. We should all be thankful we were able to pull off his signing and answer the qb issue Minnesota has always had trouble answering. For the first time, qb is not a huge concern for us. Why are you all so deeply critical of our FO fixing this problem that so often doesn’t have a fix. Some times I think my fellow Vikings fans prefer to complain and ‘ve critical of every single move the team makes. It’s almost like a lot of you root for the team to fail because you prefer to be right more than you prefer winning. Winning is what we are doing now, get on board with it. The teams success should be a much bigger joy for you than impressing your friends by pretending you’re a better armchair GM than spielman is an actual GM. They’ve given us no reason to doubt them, as they’ve made incredible decisions and drafted extremely well to date. But none of you are ever happy with their choices until 3 years later when you realize you were wrong. Remember our cap issue that has nothing to do with cousins contract is the direct result of spielman drafting so well that we have too many great player that need extended from the same year. Teams never have to extend this many guys from their rookie contracts at such a high level. This is a good problem to have, and signing cousins is not the cause of it.

25. Its pretty clear last year the Vikings did indeed have 3 starting caliber QBs on the roster. Bradford had the best arm, Teddy the best leadership, but Keenum had the biggest heart and brought something to the team that was missing, the unexpected big play. His ability to get outside the pocket was a big reason they won 13 games. Is Cousins better than any of those 3, time will tell, but part of me thinks we will miss Keenum and with his $8m/year less contract, the Vikings could have easily fit Barr, Hunter and Diggs under the cap. I hope I’m wrong and Cousin’s drive to be great and attention to detail makes him an equally great fit, but Keenum ended up being a perfect fit for this team. He wasn’t perfect, but darn near it.

26. aypeeswhippingstick says:

If that doesn’t work they can always kick a field goal, Wide left, you lose!!
    ###

You must have missed the part where we released Walsh a couple of years ago.

27. It is good if he needs the work, This offense is going to rock if the O-line does it’s job. I doubt he will be able to avoid sacks like Case did.
    But Seriously, all these troll posts! WOW and they whine and point fingers at us?

28. Basically, Zimmer said, last year in practice we concentrated on the red zone and it paid off. We are doing the same this year for the same reason…

29. The occasional field goal is OK too. After all, there is a hell of a defense on the sidelines licking its chops.

30. The Vikings were 12th in red zone touchdown percentage last year and the Redskins were 16th, so it’s not like there was a huge difference. If Cousins can get the team into the red zone more often than Keenum did and hit more long touchdowns from outside the red zone, the Vikings will score more points. That’s the bottom line.

31. aypeeswhippingstick says:
    May 31, 2018 at 8:34 am
    If that doesn’t work they can always kick a field goal, Wide left, you lose!

///////////////////

32. cabosan1978 says:
    May 31, 2018 at 9:51 am
    Buyers remorse – there is a reason Washing let the guy walk MN

////////////////////

Yeah whatever…….you’re scared that Cousins will continue to beat up on the pack. 2 games 700+ yards 5 TDS.

33. Pack fan always living in the past. 1997 first team, the packers to be double digit favorites in the Super Bowl to lose. You lose!!

I’ll take loss and 4 Packer Super Bowl wins over playing in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX, and XI, and failing to win any of them.

34. blameconservatives4everythingbad says:
    May 31, 2018 at 3:49 pm
    “Pack fan always living in the past. 1997 first team, the packers to be double digit favorites in the Super Bowl to lose. You lose!!”

/////////////////////

Could care less about those SB loses, that was over 40 years ago. But go ahead and celebrate the roaring 20s championship, beating up the powerhouse team from Staton Island😂

35. flviking says:
    May 31, 2018 at 4:48 pm
    blameconservatives4everythingbad says:
    May 31, 2018 at 3:49 pm

/////////////////////

__________________________

Staton Island had a team? Were they any good?

I realize you’re trying to diminish Green Bay’s Championships as a way to rationalize your feelings about your own team’s lack of success.
    It’s alright.

But, as I’ve posted before, all of the Packers Championship winning Title games were against legitimate teams.
    Teams that employed Hall of Famers and some of the greatest players to ever play the game.
    And they are teams that still play NFL football today.

They include:
    The Redskins
    The Giants ( 4 times )
    The Browns
    The Chiefs
    The Raiders
    The Patriots
    The Steelers
    Ever heard of any of these teams?

I know you’ve stated that those Super Bowl losses don’t mean anything to you.
    Obviously it does, otherwise you wouldn’t lash out the way you do.
    I’m here to tell you, it’s alright.
    Don’t let your favorite team define you.
    It’ll get better. 😊

36. flviking says: Packers were the first double-digit favorite to lose a SuperBowl. Ummmm……I don’t think so.

“The Vikings entered as 13-point favorites against the Kansas City Chiefs. It turned out to be the only Super Bowl Minnesota was favored in. Minnesota then coughed up five turnovers — quarterback Joe Kapp had two interceptions and a fumble before being knocked out of the game — and the Vikings lost 23-7 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans.”

Man, you guys are easy.

37. wafflestomp says:
    May 31, 2018 at 5:47 pm
    flviking says:
    May 31, 2018 at 4:48 pm
    blameconservatives4everythingbad says:
    May 31, 2018 at 3:49 pm

/////////////////////

__________________________

Staton Island had a team? Were they any good
    Below are the 1929 standings, there’s a thing called the internet. Man you guys are easy. What a brutal schedule😂
    /////////////////////////

Orange Tornadoes 3 4 4 .429 35 80 L1
    Providence Steam Roller 4 6 2 .400 107 117 L1
    Chicago Bears 4 9 2 .308 119 227 L1
    Buffalo Bisons 1 7 1 .125 48 142 W1
    Minneapolis Red Jackets 1 9 0 .100 48 185 L7
    Dayton Triangles 0 6 0 .000 7 136 L6

38. Just remember that the Redskins have run camp snowflake during the tenure of Chubbs Gruden as coach – they rarely were prepared and rarely did they perform actual game situations in camp. I would venture to say that so consistent are the Redskins problems on offense that they never worked on improving known flaws. It was simply expected that players would improve in a vacuum.

Let’s remember that over at Atlanta their QB can’t win big games yet he has put up gaudy numbers as well.

If Cousins improves in the Red Zone, then this team will be hard to beat. Is it really his problem that he wasn’t properly coached in Washington? The Red Zone problems were not as apparent in the prior years as they were last year when Cousins lost his key coaching support to the Rams.

39. I’m thinking that Cousins has never been surrounded by the talent that the Vikes have. Cousins will be fine and it doesn’t matter whether or not he’s “elite” or just “good”. I think I’ll allow him to take a snap in Minne before I rub my hands together in glee.

40. The difference is, Flviking, I don’t count the 3 earliest Championship as teams played erratic schedules and an inordinate number of games.

The Championships I refer to are the ones after a more balanced schedule was played with a playoff system and a Championship game implemented.
    I’m quite sure Green Bay has won Championships in your lifetime.
    I’ve been fortunate enough to see 7 of them.
    So, let’s not pretend they’re all ancient.

Again, please don’t let your team’s lack of success define you.
    It’ll be alright.

41. Kirk can make throws that Teddy and Case cannot make. Kirk will be able to hit Digg and Thielin in stride and they will be able to get great YAC whereas with Case they had to jump, leap and slow down and tackled as soon as they caught the ball. Case is more elusive than Kirk. Teddy has more leadership than Kirk. We will see how things shake out. I imagine the offense will get better the year goes on (barring major injuries). 5 of the 6 divisional games are in the second half so that is good. Some people say that the Division was given to us after Rogers went down. Well it is not our problem that all the Pack has is Rogers. So the Vikings won 17 Packers 16 Vikings won 15 (was Rogers hurt then too?) Oh yes Vikings beat them on their field to win the division with Arron Rogers. So Rogers is back this year good. I like it when both teams are at their best. May the best team win.

42. I love all the people that make comments about “the reason Washington let Cousins walk.” Am I missing something? Is Washington known for their elite front office? They haven’t done anything in over 25 years, but they are somehow the champions of player evaluation? Their QB of the future is a guy 2 other teams didn’t want. And what morons get rid of their best players? Your best WR is Jamison Crowder? Less than 800 yards? Garcon had 500 in 8 games with Hoyer and Beathard throwing him the ball. You also got rid of DeSean Jackson after having a 1,000 yard season? Washington is good at getting rid of talent, not bringing it in.

43. A lot of people don’t understand how important play calling is to a qb’s success. I can count on one hand (with the exception of the 2 minute offense.) how many times the skins threw the ball in the red zone on 1st down in 2017. The same for 16. When you run almost every single time on 1st down for virtually no gain and are constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long situations you are not going to be very successful. I don’t care if the skins had Brady or Rodgers. Cousins won in spite of Gruden and the rest of their organization. Not only was their defense putrid, their running game pretty much non-existent but when it comes to situational football Gruden is one of the worst coaches in the NFL. I can’t count how many times Gruden had the skins take their foot off the gas when they were ahead. Routs became nailbiters, victories losses and winnable games blowouts because of Gruden coaching not to lose. Cousins is easily one of the best play action passers in the NFL. Watch what he does with an aggressive play caller, a great run game and an elite defense.

44. flviking says:
    May 31, 2018 at 7:07 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////////////

How would any of us know how brutal it was? I look at it this way; Athletes from any era are peers of each other and the best of the best for their times. For example, my grandfather played for the Duluth Eskimos. He was also a champion skier, swimmer, and scratch golfer. In his prime and matched up right now, I would put his strength and athletic prowess up against (most if not) all of the tongue-wagging, weekend-warrior, couch-potatoes, dissing this subject.

Jesse Owens was analytically found to be (possibly as close as) one stride behind Usain Bolt. Of course, that was subjectively accommodating him running on cinder shards and without starting blocks or elite training, but he was spectacular……for his era. That was 1936.

I’m a little surprised that flviking gives so little credit to that era, considering he was there.

Now go take a nap.

45. stellarperformance says:
    June 1, 2018 at 9:39 am
    flviking says:
    May 31, 2018 at 7:07 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////////////

Now go take a nap.

***

SOOOOO annywayyyy. This article is about Vikings having an emphasis on red zone reps. I certainly do hope they can build chemistry in the redzone and Cousins can develop under high pressure situations.