Laquon Treadwell faces “important” season, whether he admits it or not

AP

The Vikings used the 23rd overall pick on receiver Laquon Treadwell in 2016. He has 21 catches for 215 yards and no touchdowns in two seasons.

Tredwell, 22, played 80 offensive snaps and 47 special teams snaps as a rookie and 500 offensive snaps and 46 special teams snaps last season.

It seems obviously Treadwell needs to show more, do more and be better in his third season.

“It’s important any time you are in your third year; it’s important,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “He is continuing to get better. I think he stopped being so hard on himself and is just letting it flow now. I think that is part of it.”

But Treadwell shrugged off the idea it’s a make-or-break season.

“I think it’s a make-or-break year for everyone, not just myself,” Treadwell said. “A lot of guys speak on it: Every year is a new year. You’ve got to reprove yourself. . . . I just don’t put the pressure on myself as a make-or-break year.”

The Vikings have a need for a No. 3 receiver behind Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. They signed Kendall Wright to compete with Treadwell for the job.

37 responses to “Laquon Treadwell faces “important” season, whether he admits it or not

1. mannnnn nobodys gonna look good with psycho keenum at qb, and hes prolly not gonna look much better with crazy kirk. come to the NO and c how a REAL treat u RIGHT!

2. But Treadwell shrugged off the idea it’s a make-or-break season.

Not exactly the reaction you’d like to see from a 1st round pick. I bet he won’t shrug it off when the Vikings don’t pick up his $1.8M option for 2019. The way he’s been playing he’ll be lucky to get anywhere near what he got on his rookie contract.

3. whodatalien says:
    June 1, 2018 at 6:46 pm
    ———————————

Stay in school and don’t sniff glue kids! ^^^^^

4. I dug a little deeper into his contract. The Vikings gave him a four-year contract for $9.9M with $9.4M guaranteed. That’s why Treadwell shrugs it off. Even if he plays like dirt this year and next he’s still getting paid so why should he care. I bet he’ll care when it comes to his next contract. This guy only cares about his money.

The Vikes are essentially stuck with him through next year since $1.15M of his $1.8M salary is guaranteed. Don’t expect much from him this year.

5. I will say he is a bust, off the top of my head the Vikings could have picked Myles Jack or a Cody Whitehair, but who knows Cousins may bring out the best in him. September 6th can’t come soon enough.

6. whodatalien says:
    June 1, 2018 at 6:46 pm

////////////////////////////

Funny you would use words like psycho and crazy.

7. You know folks. It’s usually human nature to always put the blame on one’s failure’s or lack of success on others or circumstances. But, when it’s all said and done, We Do It To Ourselves!

8. Believe it or not as loaded as the Minnesota Vikings seem to be, they actually have more talent that they have bought along whether on the taxi squad or hidden somewhere on the roster. There could be anywhere from 1 to 4 or even 5 individuals stepping up, whether at wide receiver like Laquon Treadwell or at defensive end or defensive tackle like the DT from Iowa (incredibly quick off the ball). With a little bit of that kind of help the Minnesota Vikings could definitely be better than last year to say the least.

9. Contrary to what some people on here are saying, a lack of effort isn’t his problem, he does care. The problem is that he just isn’t very bright. They talk about how he runs the steps after practice, that he is always working. The problem is he can’t run routes and get separation. Running steps isn’t going to help you with that. It’s like brushing your teeth if you want to lose weight…its a good thing to do, but isn’t going to help. It’s the same as Cordarrelle Patterson…he is a freak athlete, but also can’t run routes. Both Zimmer and Spielmen are huge on drafting athletes…sometimes the head is more important.

10. I’ll agree he is a bust in the eyes of a gb fan. Because they all agree jordy sucked.

11. I saw enough tape on this guy coming out of college that I wouldn’t have touched him with a ten foot pole. I wouldn’t have signed him to a minimum free agent contract either. Just go back and watch the tape. If you do that, you won’t be a bit surprised at what he’s done in the NFL.

12. Fortunately, the Vikes hit on a 5th rounder and a free agent to form one of the better WR tandems in the NFL – makes the mistake with this guy irrelevant. And Mr Who Dat guy, they were good enough to crush your team and it’s HOF QB twice last year.

13. I thought he was going to be a # 2 or # 3 WR but yeh a bust. The only reason he is on the team is because of the contract. Even if the Vikings traded him for like a 7th I still think they would take a huge salary cap hit so yeh he stays. When the best thing you can say about a WR is that he blocks well down field. Not good.

14. “Treadwell is still a better prospect at this point than hope, wish, and pray.”

Really? A proven flop is better than three new chances? Interesting perspective.

15. He doesn’t have to worry about Kendal Wright. Wright has a league suspension coming up for crashing Terrence William’s Lambo.

So you’re really believing Terence Williams story, seems a little far fetched to me. So your saying that basically him and Kendall Wright left the seen of the accident?

16. I’ve watched him in training camp, he seems to always have a corner sitting in his back pocket. Like others have said, separation is his issue. You either can get it in the NFL,or you don’t get the ball thrown your way. Roster spots are too valuable for this team, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cut and they eat the dead money. Tremendous disappointment. But for every Treadwell, Spielman seems to find a Diggs or Thielen and this team keeps rolling. Skol

17. whenwilliteverend says:
    June 1, 2018 at 7:03 pm

______________________

I understand Treadwell has been a disappointment and I’m not here to troll.

Looking at it objectively, he has to make significant strides this year and there’s no real reason for him not to do it.
    He’s firmly entrenched in an offense that appears to be jacked, at least on paper.

And on top of everything else it’s imperative he stays healthy.
    At least healthy enough to prove his worth.

And if these contract numbers are even right, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him cut after this season.
    Yes, it may only be over 650 or $700,000, but I’ve seen vets cut over less.

18. wafflestomp says:
    June 2, 2018 at 11:37 am
    whenwilliteverend says:
    June 1, 2018 at 7:03 pm

______________________

I understand Treadwell has been a disappointment and I’m not here to troll.

And on top of everything else it’s imperative he stays healthy.
    At least healthy enough to prove his worth.

Yes, it may only be over 650 or $700,000, but I’ve seen vets cut over less.
    ***

I agree. He has no reason to shrug if he wants to continue to play in the league. You could try to make excuses for him that he has had 3 QB’s to develop under, but even then he’s hardly seen the field. He has no stats.

19. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm
    Treadwell is still a better prospect at this point than hope, wish, and pray.
    ////////////////////////////////

Those three words are sacred to a Viking fan. That’s all they have. You know that. You’re giving up on the Viking fan mantra, leaving them with nothing? You’d better turn in your Fight-Pickers Card!

20. When you are picked #23 overall, any team has the right to expect more than 21 catches over two years. But the Vikings drafted a QB #12 overall and he isn’t even in the league anymore so Treadslow has that going for him. And yet their fans still think Spielman is a genius, more like a magician, he makes first rounders disappear.

21. whatjusthapped says:
    June 2, 2018 at 2:52 pm
    ——————————————

Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Demarious Randell, Kenny Clark.
    A team almost has to be trying to find that many busts in a row.

22. Liberal, Derek Sherrod had a gruesome broken leg his rookie season and was never the same player after.
    An unfortunate turn of events for that young man.

Nick Perry has been hot and cold most of his career, but I’d hardly call him a bust.

Datone Jones has been complete junk, so you’ve got me there.

Clinton-Dix is sill one of the better Safetys in the league, though I’m quite sure I’ll get some disagreement from the Barney faithful.

Kenny Clark has been an absolute tree trunk in the middle of the defensive line.
    Immovable, which is exactly what his job required of him.
    Whether this role changes under new defensive leadership and scheme remains to be seen.

23. I almost forgot about Damarious Randall.
    He seems to have genuine talent as a CB.
    He has done some good things.
    Might actually be better suited at Safety.
    Unfortunately his immaturity and general attitude have hampered him beyond repair I fear.
    He completely poisoned a great locker room, to the point many of the team leaders went to McCarthy and wanted him released last season.
    Maybe the change in locale with a new set of eyes on him will do some good.
    As for now, yes, I’d label him a big bust.

24. The Eagles 🦅 sure did Slap the Vikings.
    The Vikings will not beat a Rodgers lead team let alone be slapped again by the Super Bowl Champs

Go Eagles 🦅

25. nick koch says:
    June 2, 2018 at 9:58 pm
    The Eagles 🦅 sure did Slap the Vikings.

Go Eagles 🦅

_____________________

Says a punk who resides @ the Linc parking lot on game day because he can’t actually afford tickets. Enjoy 2017 Nicky, your next 60 year run of futility has begun.

26. vikesfansteve says:
    June 2, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Colossal bust.
    )))))))))))))))))

No,that would be Tony Mandarich

27. whodatalien says:

June 1, 2018 at 6:46 pm

———–

Keenum played great last season. Higher QBR than Drew Brees, and Cousin’s has put up similar stats to Brees on a way less talented team (Skins).

No doubt the Saints are very talented team, but the Vikings are just as good, if not a bit better defensively.

28. nick koch says:

June 2, 2018 at 9:58 pm

The Eagles 🦅 sure did Slap the Vikings.

Go Eagles 🦅

===============

Except the fact the Vikings have beaten a Rodgers led team in the last 4 years on many occasions. The Teams have the same Win – Loss record and the teams have split every year except for this year, and 2014. So get your facts straight. The Vikings won the division in 2015 when Rodgers played all year.

The Eagles might not even make the playoffs now that everyone is gunning for them. I wouldn’t count on anything. Things change every year.

29. But Treadwell shrugged off the idea it’s a make-or-break season.

================================================================

Sad, but, if that’s how you feel.
    Pack your bags, Mr. Treadwell.

30. A lot of talk here saying that Treadwell is a bust. I think it is too early for that, he has been practicing with the ones this week. We will see what 2018 brings for him and this offense.