Fox News shows Eagles players kneeling to pray (not protest)

Getty Images

The favorite television channel of the guy who likes to yell “Fake News” is engaging in some of its own.

Via Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com, the Fox News clip shown Tuesday morning discussing President Donald Trump canceling the Eagles’ trip to the White House included a number of images of players kneeling.

The only problem? Those players were all kneeling in prayer before games.

No Eagles player knelt for the anthem during a regular season game last year. There are images of cornerback Ron Brooks kneeling during a preseason game, but he was released in August, well before Trump cranked up the political talking-point machine to make NFL player protests about something other than what they were — which was police brutality and racial inequality.

Of course, that doesn’t stop political opportunists from co-opting images of people praying to a higher power — and the Eagles might be one of the most evangelical teams in the league, which you think they’d like.

But the NFL has already given up trying to fight against the inaccuracies and the willful mischaracterizations of the protests in an effort to make Trump’s shouting go away. They found out yesterday that attempting to appease that particular bully will never work.

124 responses to “Fox News shows Eagles players kneeling to pray (not protest)

1. Think about a man ready to pardon himself if convicted. Who does that, a King, a dictator? People have to realize just how dangerous this man is before its to late.

2. Can’t blame POTUS for disinviting them on this one. If only 10 players or less were going to show, that’s insulting. Plus it’s the Eagles. Their disgusting fan base doesn’t deserve to be in the spotlight.

3. So you finally found Fox News doing what you (all other media) do all the time…and it’s a big deal to you, lol

4. I am shocked that Faux New propaganda lied! The sad thing is many of their views know that Fox News is propaganda, but they like their biases being fed, lies or not.

5. “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” – Colin Kaepernick, 2016
    —————-
    It’s always been an anti-American protest.

6. “Via Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com, the Fox News clip shown Tuesday morning discussing President Donald Trump canceling the Eagles’ trip to the White House included a number of images of players kneeling.“

Actually, to be fair… neither the news story or the text on the screen mentioned anything about “kneeling” players. You added that word in there on your own to make this more egregious than it was. Not saying that makes the selected images that Fox used ok, but sounds like this website added in some “facts” of their own to make it look worse than it was.

7. But wasn’t Ron Brooks ON THE TEAM when he knelt? so now we are separating preseason kneeling with regular season kneeling? Kneeling is kneeling! Raising a fist shows just as much disrespect as does kneeling. Thank God we have a president that puts this country first!!!

8. My favorite fake news are the pieces the media latches on to about police brutality and harassment… until the department releases the body cams which show what really happened, and then the media never back tracks… totes my fav.

9. So to me the only thing of newsworthy mention here is that Fox news said Trump was wrong about something.

Other than that I look forward to news from training camp that is about football players playing football.

10. I’m sure I’ll be censored..again. but, I’ll try my free speech anyway. Can the author be any more Anti-Trump? Just write the news instead of taking every shot you can at OUR President?

The players should respect the office (as anti-Oboma players did for 8 yrs) The politics should be left out of the White House visit.

11. The propaganda is out of control. And more importantly it used to be that you had to dig deep to find out whether the propaganda was false. Now it’s obviously nonsense.

12. This is all a distraction to keep us from the important issues – Colin Kaepernick’s drop a dime informant!!!!!!! And all the players that will hold out until he is signed

13. The POTUS is a pathological liar, so it only makes sense that his “fake news” is supported and broadcast by a so-called news channel that has its own weird relationship with the truth.

14. At this point, I think I’ll just sit back and enjoy watching Trump the chump and his cronies embarrass themselves. It’s pretty funny. Not as funny as his snowflake followers believing all the fake news Fox puts out and actually believing it, then trying to pass it off as real.

15. That’s rich. Double standards anyone? The whole anthem controversy from the very beginning was started by a political opportunist. Kapernick, with his cops as pigs socks, his Che T shirt, his praise for Castro – all hyper political statements, from the very beginning was using the NFL platform as an opportunity to express his politics. That is the definition of political opportunist. News flash all Presidents are politicians therefore political opportunist. Kap was a QB not a politician. He is the one who was out of place. How can PFT be this blind and so one sided and hypocritical.

16. It has always interested me that 5 news agencies could tell a story the same way and Fox News had a different spin and the backers claim the 5 are reporting fake news. People get you heads out of your butt.

17. …The favorite television channel of the guy who likes to yell “Fake News” is engaging in some of its own…
    —————————

Outside of Shepard Smith and Chris Wallace, fake news is the only news that Faux News provides.

18. All the cable “news” channels are trash and have dumbed down rational political discourse in this country, but Fox News remains on an entirely different plane of corruption. The effect it has on people when it’s their only source of news is terrifying.

19. I watched some of your show this morning. Are you aware that the majority of NFL fans are NOT liberal democrats? I think you might want to rethink your target audience, Mike.

20. They could have been praying for the destruction of America. That’s something the fake MSM won’t tell you. But the manipulative narrative of Fox News is strong. Wake up snowflakes and let the hate run through you. Now I have to get back to my favorite news source: iamright.com

21. Faux News is a 24/7 propaganda machine. No different than Russia Today or The North Korean News Agency.

22. If you do a fact check on all news organizations, FOX has more “pants on fire” lies than all the others combined. Lots more. This is “real news”. Check for yourself.

23. The media is over half the problem. They long ago stopped doing their job and are now just propaganda machines trolling for clicks and eyeballs.

24. So players who kneel during the National Anthem are considered “unpatriotic” but a woman who sings the National Anthem, grabs her crotch and spits after receives a call from Mr. Apprentice himself to congratulate her on her ratings?

25. officialgame says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:27 am
    _________________________
    Just hide in your safe place.
    It’ll be over in 2024.

26. Wow! Bias much?! “Willful mischaracterizations of the protest”? It is irrelevant what the protest is about, they are choosing to protest in a way that is disrespectful and offends millions of Americans. It may have not been the intention of these players to be disrespectful to the flag and offend people but sometimes our actions have unintended consequences. The way it works is if I do something that is disrespectful and offensive to many people but I didn’t intend to do so and didn’t realize that it would be perceived that way then I have the opportunity to chance my actions/behavior. After learning that my actions were perceived as disrespectful and offensive then if I do not stop then I should not be surprised that those that were offended will now add being disrespectful and offensive as part of my intention. As we all know actions speak louder than words. I can tell them until I am blue in the face that it wasn’t my intent to be disrespectful and offensive but it won’t matter my actions say otherwise. This is pretty much common sense. Sadly, common sense isn’t all that common anymore. Rant over.

27. There was a time when even a hint of traitorous behavior would lead to immediate excommunication. His continued presence in this country is an affront to those of us who served, voluntarily or otherwise, and an embarrassment to those who killed and died in service.

Enough.

28. I wonder what all the Trump thumpers comments were when athletes like Matt Birk, Mark Chmura, Tim Thomas, Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, and Tony Stewart turned down invites from Clinton and Obama?

I’m going out on a limb, but I’m willing to bet it was something along the lines of “it’s their right not to go!”

29. 1phillyphan says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:40 am

———–
    Actually – NASCAR drivers, MLB, NHL and NFL players including Tom Brady skipped Obama visits. As I like to say on here all the time – have whatever opinion you want, just make sure your facts are straight.

30. So Fox Sports promotes football while a different division of the same company relentlessly slanders the league with false info? That seems like a breach of contract. The NFL should terminate Fox’s contract to broadcast games and move to another network. Its not fair to the NFL to have their own games be a lead-in to cross promotion for slandering their league.

31. mmack66 says:
    June 5, 2018 at 9:15 am
    They were tebowing? That’s even worse!
    ———————————————————————-
    You win the PFT comment section for today.

32. You guys know Fox News has jumped in line with the rest of the lefty news, right? So you you can stop with the old, played, dated “Faux News” handle.

33. Are you saying that the Eagles don’t kneel for the anthem?

Is that your point? If so you are the ones trafficking “fake news”

34. The NFL Loses again to greatest Deal Maker and President the Country has ever known.
    Thank you Donald Trump.! Thanks once again!

35. Indybear says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    The POTUS is a pathological liar

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EVERY politician cares about votes which leads to power which leads to money. Lying is part of their business.

EVERY news channel has their own agenda.

Anyone that disagrees with this is ignorant at best and stupid at worst.

36. Official game, you truly are dumb if you think this man will be re-elected. Cleveland will win it all before this guy is re-elected.

37. This is what it is….the eagles tried to embarrass the president by sending 7-8 people from the team…he found out about it….cancelled the visit to save face…..and now he is coming back at them like he does…the whole go to the white house after you win a championship thing is silly anyway….pro sports is starting to get dumb in general…it is just not that important….especially football which doesn’t even resemble football anymore….last year’s sb was a joke…one punt…the NFL is a 7 on 7 passing camp….silly….we have so many other things to work on in this country….let’s just focus on that and stop with the nonsense.

38. 1phillyphan says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:40 am

————————————

Players have always skipped going to the White House and were never censored skipping. As another poster mentioned this goes across all sports. Only 34 NE Patriots showed up after last year’s Super Bowl but that wasn’t an issue.

The problem is that Trump and the Russian trolls try to weaponize everything as a sign of disrespect to further divide our country.

Past presidents have always celebrated the players that showed up, took a photo op and the positive press, and moved on.

The current president would rather have the news cycle dominated by the Eagles than the fact that he was lying all along about the Russia meeting in Trump Tower.

39. geofferypeterson says:
    June 5, 2018 at 9:20 am
    1phillyphan says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:40 am

———–

—————

Good point. As I recall Brady had made other personal family and business plans. Perhaps the same reason others may not have attended. Life is not 100% absolute.

40. The Trumping of America. Say anything you want, anytime you want. Deny anything you want, anytime you want. Just follow the lead of Comrade Trump.

41. Wow, didn’t CNN recently show a picture of a detention center for illegal aliens and claim it happened under Trump only for the public to find out it happened in 2014 during the Obama presidency? I don’t remember a public uproar over this ‘fake news’ about something that actually matters.

42. When programs that pretend to be “news” show something that is outright wrong or incorrect, why are they not forced to do a retraction?

Didn’t Dan Rather and Brian Williams (and probably others) run into those type of issues in the past, and were roasted for it? Now, we see fake or misleading garbage all the time and no one gets into any trouble for it. And, I mean items that are actually proven to be wrong, not items that egomaniacs want to label “fake news”, but are actually true.

43. crush22 says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:24 am
    Stop beating a dead horse.
    We’re over it.
    ————————-

44. We would like to be over the current president subverting our Constitution, and the Republicans in Congress either turning a blind eye to his behavior or, in some cases, supporting, encouraging and enabling the behavior, but until this president is out of office, we will beat the horse.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Crush 22 for President in 2020

45. whenever I’m praying in public, I do it standing up but wow, I think Trump shouldn’t have opined. The NFL had the perfect system and now we’ll have more of those stupid kneel-down, pisses me off.

46. Although I can to stomach our president & think he is a total waste of flesh, I do enjoy seeing him giving Roger & the good old boys a taste of their own medicine…..absolute power corrupts absolutely…… I hope they all choke on it for being so corrupt!!!

47. I’m curious, for all of the people here who hate Fox News and scream it’s propaganda, disingenuous, fake news, etc – where do you get your news from? Is it from the completely unbiased CNNs and New York Times of the world?

What’s comical is that both the left and right have their news outlets and each will pillory the other when something isn’t “correct” as they quote their own version of the state run news they claim is unbiased.

48. 1phillyphan says:
    June 5, 2018 at 8:40 am

———————
    He didn’t get invited either

49. whatisntperformanceenhancing says:
    June 5, 2018 at 9:45 am
    I truly am surrounded by idiots.

———————-
    Thats called a blizzard.

50. THINK America THINK!

You’ve been fed a package of lies! While you were so desperate to keep your guns nobody wants to take, protect the unborn but not the born, and get back jobs in industries that will never come back, they inserted an un-American self serving tyrant that only WANTS TO HURT YOU.

Wake up America!

51. grumpysal says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:35 am

__________

It’s one thing to present stories that are favorable to 1 side and ignore the others. It’s a completely different thing to willfully present LIES. Wake up!

52. don’t watch the NFL. quit last year. could care less if they go to the white house. good for trump.

53. IF you choose to kneel during the anthem, you are protesting the anthem simple as that. If it is about police whatever then do it after the game AT the police station.
    When you only do it during the anthem but say it’s not the anthem, the military or the country that’s horsesh#t.
    That’s like the Klan holding a protest on MLK day but saying it’s not about race or MLK.

54. This is what state-run propaganda media looks like. The actual verifiable truth is not important to the president, his supporters and enablers, only that there is a visual that reinforces their white nationalist worldview.

55. ee00ee says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:54 am
    grumpysal says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:35 am

__________

————-
    ….and also to delete truths

56. grumpysal says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:35 am

——————-
    You are completely correct. Media outlets are horribly biased nowadays, there is no way to get pure objective reporting anymore. Instead they all seek to run narratives one way or the other and the public is then allowed to pick whick one is the most pleaseing to their particular ears.

57. Just write the news instead of taking every shot you can at OUR President?
    —–
    I see people call him OUR president quite often and I always wonder if those people have ever heard of the popular vote.

58. nitzie says:

June 5, 2018 at 8:33 am

—————-
    It’s always been an anti-American protest.

====================================================

I think you pasted in the wrong quote. The quote and your comment have nothing in common.

59. ee00ee says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:52 am

THINK America THINK!

Wake up America!

——————

YOu’re still sound asleep. The jobs that left, did so because the policy was changed. The policy from Washington to Reagan. Tariffs. Who did the death blow? Bill Clinton with NAFTA. It’s policy. Learn something and think. Guess what, you can’t run an economy on Wall Street, Walmart, service jobs, and bartenders. If you think you can… I have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Trump wants to hurt us? What about Obama who actually murdered via drone strike a 15 or so year old Colorado born boy without charges? That’s ACTUALLY hurt. In fact, Obama murdered multiple Americans extrajudicially. Get that? Actual murder of American citizens by my party’s president, Obama, and yet you want to pretend that Trump wants to hurt Americans. Insanity.

No one wants to take guns? Have you even been paying attention? Many people have explicitly stated that is their goal.

Wake up, the spying, the prosecution of whistleblowers which caused people like Snowden to go outside this country, the militarization of police (seems to be a big deal to NFL players… now if they could only point the finger at WHO did it and one of their names was OBAMA), and the list goes on and on and on.

That’s reality. But hey, my party routinely rigs things, like the whole nomination process against Bernie.

Guess what, Bernie probably beats Trump, but instead the corruptness of the Democratic party came back to haunt my fellow Democrats, and the last two years, almost everyone in my party has gone bat crap cray cray.

60. grumpysal says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:35 am

========================

The Guardian is a decent source. Especially for international news that doesn’t get covered here as much.

61. So you finally found Fox News doing what you (all other media) do all the time…and it’s a big deal to you, lol
    ———-

Finally found?! Fox News lies and trades in conspiracy theories almost every day. That’s the irony of orange face’s “fake news” screeds. Congrats on your lying, egomaniacal, greedy sexual predator of a president . You must be very proud.

62. ee00ee says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:52 am
    THINK America THINK!

Wake up America!

———

don’t forget that they were lured by his bullying tactics, name-calling, anti-PC rhetoric.

He’s kind of the Anti-PC Pied Piper.

63. Some Democrats like me are awake. We call it like we see it, and aren’t afraid of a republican president, known as Trump, who in many ways is more of a Democrat than Hillary or Bill or Obama.

——-

I’m not a democrat, but I don’t think anyone is going to believe that.

64. Fox News IS Fake News. Just watch it for a half hour and it’s so obvious. Lies, Lies, Lies just to propogandize Trump’s addled views. Trump has no business sticking his orange nose in the NFL just because the league rejected him as “unfit” to buy the Bills years ago. The Take a Knee, etc, is all vindictive and nothing else which is really SICK.

65. Chill_Donahue says:
    June 5, 2018 at 11:37 am
    nitzie says:

June 5, 2018 at 8:33 am

—————-
    It’s always been an anti-American protest.

====================================================

——

actually, it probably is the intended quote. it’s his/her’s interpretation of it that is wrong.

66. I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” – Colin Kaepernick, 2016
    —————-
    It’s always been an anti-American protest.

So nitzie, what you’re saying here is being anti-racism is being anti-American? hmmm. Wondering first if you looked at your postings and thought that was a good idea to post.

67. whatisntperformanceenhancing says:
    June 5, 2018 at 9:45 am
    I truly am surrounded by idiots.

——-

In most social settings, the individual who believes differently than the others and believes that they are more intelligent is, in fact, the actual “idiot”.

68. Who cares? Weather they are standing or putting a fist up…the Eagles fans are showing disrespect to our flag for their own agenda. I am sick of hearing about these guys.

69. nitzie says:

June 5, 2018 at 8:33 am

——————
    As a vet I deeply respect our flag and have fought for it, but I don’t like how Trump defines it, as an excuse to be bigoted and racist. Just yesterday he signed executive orders allowing car deals to discriminate against ppl of color for car loans. Trump’s USING our flag for his own personal aims. Wake Up NFL fans!

70. Gee, funny how you can’t find any video of this alleged incident. My guess is some intern Googled “Eagles players kneeling” and a screen shot was on screen for about 2 seconds.

71. ee00ee says:
    June 5, 2018 at 10:54 am

___________________

Like when the entire liberal media apparatus was working overtime trying to get Hillary elected, and trying to dupe everyone into thinking that she had such a huge lead, that the actual election would be nothing more than a formality?

72. PacificNWMark says:
    June 5, 2018 at 11:24 am
    ——————-
    But this media you speak of constantly bashes Trump. They run a narrative that gives the impression that he is a disaster. Are you saying thats all a pack of lies?

73. Prayer was removed from sporting events by liberals and now liberals are calling protest prayer and defending prayer?

74. The NFL Loses again to greatest Deal Maker and President the Country has ever known.
    Thank you Donald Trump.! Thanks once again!

The problem is that all the deals are with Russia and were finalized before the election.

75. pkrlvr says:
    June 5, 2018 at 11:36 am

———————–

Yep. Hillary was very popular with illegal voters and dead people.

76. The Eagles didn’t make it to the White House today, but Trump claimed Eagles’ fans did. “A much larger crowd than expected”, Trump said. But an NBC reporter chose 6 people at random and NONE knew who was the Eagles’ starting QB during SB. This was definitely another Trump recruit people via Craig’s List for a rally–$100 a person. He’s been doing this since Day 1. Phony Baloney President.

77. “CNN contributor April Ryan backtracks after claiming Trump was booed at White House event”

Guess we won’t see an article on this 😉

78. “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” – Colin Kaepernick, 2016
    —————-
    It’s always been an anti-American protest.

…………

So oppressing black people and people of color, and unwarranted police brutality/killings are “American”? More like ‘Murican. Thank goodness I live in America, not ‘Murica.

79. scmems07 says:
    June 5, 2018 at 9:16 am

))))))))))))))))))))))
    You forgot Tom Brady on this list

80. Fox News Network openly says that they are not a news network but entertainment network. So why do people go there for there propaganda, I mean news?