Which teams are most likely to get back to the playoffs in 2018?

Getty Images

Historically, roughly half of the teams that make it to the playoffs one year don’t make it back the next. Which means that plenty of teams that didn’t make it one year make it the next.

So with five of the NFC teams from 2016 not making it back in 2017 (and thus five non-playoff teams from 2016 making it in 2017), which non-playoff teams from last year are the most likely to make it this year?

That was the subject of Tuesday’s PFT Live draft, a four-round affair that I easily won, to the dismay (once again) of Chris Simms.

But don’t take my word for it (again, you never would). Dial up the video, and share your views below regarding whether you think any teams other than the eight we identified should have been included.

34 responses to “Which teams are most likely to get back to the playoffs in 2018?

1. I heard that the Patriots dynasty is over, Brady is done, and Belichick hasn’t been very cuddly and nice. Naturally, that means they’ll be in the Super Bowl again.

2. The title is ambiguousl. Which teams “make it back”
    From last year or which teams “make it back” after an absence of
    More than one year.

3. Not that these segments mean anything, but you have to love on passing on the team with the most regular season wins in the NFC the past two years. Usually, those teams are slept on when they are viewed as “old”, but that team is actually one of the YOUNGEST in football, which makes it easy to project improvement. But whatever, nobody will admit to writing this team off once it again pops back up to an elite record.

4. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    June 5, 2018 at 5:18 pm
    Saints, Vikings and Rams are out.
    GB, SF and SEA are in with ATL, CAR and PHIL
    ——————————————————-
    Saints are out and Atlanta and Carolina are in? Well, we know who doesn’t watch football…

5. I think its a fairly good bet that if Aaron Rodgers stays healthy the entire season that the Packers will be in the playoffs.

6. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    June 5, 2018 at 5:25 pm
    Did Chris Simms really say that the Packers “just barely missed” the playoffs last year? They were 7-9 and finished three games out of a wildcard berth.

———————
    Simms also said Alexander was the “best player in football”. I do think he was an excelkent draft pick and who knows? Its not impossible, but lets let him get there before we annoit him.

I would bet on Florio’s list here all day.

7. steves11 says:
    June 5, 2018 at 6:08 pm

————

He has to fix the flaws in his play that add to his injury exposure. Thats an area he would be well served to learn from Brady.

8. My pick of non-playoff teams who are most likely to return to the playoffs in 2018 are

AFC: Denver, LA Chargers, Miami, Indianapolis.
    NFC: Frisco, Detroit, Green Bay, Dallas.

9. The Patriots.
    Who else in the AFC East has improved enough to challenge them?
    The Pats could go 10-6 and make the playoffs, maybe even 9-7 if they beat the “better” AFC East teams twice. In fact, 8-8, provided they beat each of the AFC East teams twice would do it.

10. screamingyellowzonkers says:

June 5, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Saints, Vikings and Rams are out.
    GB, SF and SEA are in with ATL, CAR and PHIL

—————–

SF and Sea in over Saints, Rams and Vikings? Put down the crack pipe. lol. I’m a Vikings fan and I think the Vikings have a more than good chance at getting back to the playoffs, but I am aware that it may not happen. The Vikings more often than not tend to turn back into themselves after a successful year and miss the playoffs….

However….SF and Sea are not better than the Vikings, Saints, or Rams. Seattle is in total rebuilding mode with their defense. Their team lives and dies with Russell Wilson. SF is getting better, but I doubt they make it. What’s good about them except for JimmyG who has only started 6 games against sub .500 teams? I think most likely at least 2 teams out of the Vikings, Saints or Rams makes it. All the teams have good QB’s, good defenses and good offenses.

11. packers291 says:

June 6, 2018 at 9:49 am

Saints, GB, SEA, PHI win divisions, ATL and SF get the wildcard.

——————-

SF gets the Wildcard over the Vikings or Rams? Or even Carolina, Come on man. I get your a packers fan and hope the Viking don’t make it, but this doesn’t even make sense.

12. AFC:
    IN — NE, PIT, TEN, JAX, HOU, LA.
    So… two new teams over 2017.

NFC:
    IN — NYG, GB, MIN, TB, ATL, LA.
    Three new teams.

Eagles in for a RUDE awakening in 2018 after a fluke confluence of weakest schedule and facing teams with massive injuries for six weeks straight at one point in 2017.

13. All these GB posts! Just remember….. GB could be 3rd in NFC North. Vikings,Detroit beat them out this year. No Defense or Running game will kill them. Aaron, I love you bro, but I dont think this is going to be a good year.

14. minnesotanskeepitinthefamily says:
    June 6, 2018 at 2:10 pm
    Packers 13-3
    Rams 12-4
    Saints 12-4
    Eagles 11-5
    Vikings 11-5
    Niners 11-5

//////////////////////////

I just looked at the packer schedule. With Rodgers 100% I see maybe 9 wins……..Maybe LOL!

15. 10 wins may not get a wild card slot this year in the NFC, it’s that competitive. Best roster in the NFC belongs to the Vikings, we will see if they can use it to get to the promised land. Green Bay has perhaps the worst roster and Erin Rodgers, doubt that’s enough for 11 wins….