Alex Guerrero: Julian Edelman PED suspension is “disappointing”

Getty Images

When news broke that Patriots receiver Julian Edelman is facing a four-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs, there was an immediate focus on Alex Guerrero, the trainer who is best known for his work with Tom Brady but also works with Edelman. Boston media have already portrayed the Edelman suspension as a sign that Bill Belichick is right to distance the team from Guerrero.

Now Guerrero seems to be distancing himself from Edelman.

Guerrero released a statement saying he is disappointed by Edelman’s suspension and doesn’t condone using banned substances.

“I’ve known Julian since his rookie year and he is a phenomenal athlete who takes his training seriously—it’s disappointing to hear today’s news,” Guerrero said. “Elite athletes sometimes work with multiple coaches and health professionals as part of their training. Here at our facility, we take a natural, holistic, appropriate and, above all, legal approach to training and recovery for all of our clients. And anyone who would suggest otherwise is irresponsible, and just plain wrong.”

Is Guerrero suggesting that Edelman got a banned substance from one of the other “coaches and health professionals” he works with? Perhaps. But Guerrero is definitely saying that he should bear no blame for Edelman’s suspension.

97 responses to “Alex Guerrero: Julian Edelman PED suspension is “disappointing”

1. Guerrero seems like an earthy crazy hippie type to me
    I don’t think he’s pushing steroids. Toms physique certainly doesn’t suggest PEDs. To put it nicely.

2. Doesn’t it mean since he is going to be suspended that it’s a second failed test or is that just drugs?

3. “Here at our facility, we take a natural, holistic, appropriate and, above all, legal approach to training and recovery for all of our clients.”

Hmmm, this doesn’t even sound like an outright denial. PEDs aren’t necessarily illegal, just banned by the league. And words like natural, holistic, and appropriate are intentionally vague. “We do not utilize PEDs or substances banned by the NFL with any of our clients currently employed by the NFL” would have been an outright denial. Sounds fishy!

4. Pretty basic question to Edelman – Did the PED come from TB12 or from a New England Patriots team employee or from elsewhere? Julian Edelman is not just another player, he is Tom Brady’s #1 receiver and despite how Coach Belichick will try to deflect it as a non-issue, his PED suspension is a really big embarrassment for the Patriots organization.

5. I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt, neither he or his clients have ever been linked to PED’s. Pretty dumb on JE’s part, though. I’m sure Tommy is not happy, either.

6. Here’s the thing: I am all-in on what I know of Guerrero’s dietary beliefs. I don’t necessarily subscribe to all of them (if I had Brady’s money and was in his line of work I probably would), but I agree wholeheartedly that most food made available to us is garbage, and we should be eating clean, unprocessed, organic, non-GMO foods, and eating hormone and antibiotic-free meats whenever possible. Concussion water…ehhh, swing and a miss. But I certainly don’t think he’s a witch doctor. And I don’t think we can go after him yet about this issue with Edelman. Every man deserves to be taken on his gentleman’s word, so if Geurrero says he isn’t the guy to blame, it’s wrong of us as fellow men to say “you’re a liar.” I don’t get the impression he ever tried to scam anyone, cancer patients included. Could he have steered them wrong? Possibly. But then again, he didn’t GIVE anyone cancer, he just offers a holistic treatment approach as opposed to chemotherapy and other traditional treatments. That’s not wrong or evil. There’s no telling if they would have survived regardless. I’m not defending him because he’s Brady’s guy or anything, but more to illustrate that we, as a society, are way too trusting of Western Medicine. Without rehashing the whole thing, my lady has been battling through benzodiazepine withdrawal for almost three years just trying to wean off of a prescription that ultimately was doing her more harm than good. We get taught to trust doctors implicitly, but as an adult, I know some doctors, and some of them I wouldn’t trust to bring me back the right % milk from the store. They’re obviously intelligent and can retain complex information, but they only know what they’re taught, and a lot of it isn’t right, or at least not the only way. So I just shudder when I see general society have this unquestioning attitude towards them, when they didn’t have a clue how to help my gal, and most just doubted her and tried to tell her she had lupus, or Crohn’s disease, or the flippin’ bubonic plague, and didn’t listen as she literally told them why she was having crazy symptoms. And integrated medicine was what helped her. Cannabis extracts made eating and sleeping possible, during this illness caused by…guess who? DOCTORS. They aren’t evil or anything, but misguided and parochial thinkers.

So I say all that to say: don’t automatically dismiss the unconventional. Oftentimes the conventional majority aren’t necessarily right.

7. Harder to lie about PED’s. No phone to destroy, no tapes to destroy. But the commish should still take their 1st rounder again. Not because the foul was egregious but because it’s fun to watch this fan base get sandy and cry.

8. tbisgod says:
    June 7, 2018 at 6:56 pm

——————
    I agree. Guerrero’s methods are about preventing injury from happening in the first place. What Edelman (allegedly) did was something to heal an injury that had already happened. I think that came from somewhere else.

9. He should have just beat up his girlfriend and got arrested for pot and firearms. That is acceptable.

10. 1) why does everyone instantly assume the test is 100% accurate
    2) he is certainly not the only person ever to have tested positive- every team has someone or multiple people who have tested positive
    3) get some new material- this cheater crap y’all keep comin with shows you are not very intelligent or original
    filming 15 feet closer than allowed- wow major cheating
    deflating footballs?- are y’all even serious- that was the witchyest witch hunt since the salem days- nothing- not-one thing was ever proven, “more likely than not”? jeez y’all are grasping at some straws, fine to hate the team, but at least use your bloody brains- jiminy crickets the lack of intelligence is just incredulous- please watch the movie idiocracy, it seems more like a documentary than a comedy

11. bert1913 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    cheaters cheat….that’s why their called cheaters #deflategate

Crybabies cry on the internet when the team they root for sucks

That’s why they are called crybabies.

12. That’s to bad. Was looking forward to seeing him get CLOCKED going across the middle against the Jags week 2. Oh well Chris Hogan stock up on some Tylenol. Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

13. One thing i like about belichick and that is when a player lies like Brady did or gets caught like ninkovich and edelman did he will never take the heat for them. He expects them to be professionals and when they aren’t it’s on them. Except of course when BELICHICK GETS CAUGHT

14. shadywarrior says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Tommy, that you?

15. gwar4u says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Like they “clocked” Amendola going across the middle on 3rd and 18. Or when they “clocked” him in the back of the end zone?
    Oh wait, they didn’t
    Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

16. sbchamps3233 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:05 pm

—————-
    The years have been painful huh?

17. I love hearing fans of teams when a player on the team they root for says. “Everyone is on something!” Maybe but this time your guy got caught. Next time when it’s someone else from another team then you can hammer on them. But for now pats fans have to eat the humble pie and deal with it.

18. Ron Jull says:
    June 7, 2018 at 6:56 pm
    Only disappointing because he got caught. Right Patriots?
    ———————-
    Listen to you guys all dwelling on the Patriots. This is not about the Patriots thats just the rented space talking. Hundreds of players have been caught doing this stuff accross the league I do not believe there is a single team that has not had it happen. In all those cases the player deserved to be punished for it and no one should be thinking that any more or any less based on what team they play for. Edelman is no different. So what if he plays for my home team. He still should pay the price just like everyone else.

19. I am not a Patriots fan,however, I respect the Patriots work
    ethic. To you fans who claim they cheated,STOP!
    Focus in the game and try to understand that as far as
    stealing signals ..the practice was widely attempted.
    Why are there no comments while the TV camera
    shows the offensive coordinator hiding his mouth
    behind his play card? Why is hiding his mouth?
    Because teams in the past actually hired a lip reader
    to get a edge. All teams tried to steal signs.
    There are many examples of players getting edges throughout
    the history of all sports. In baseball stealing signs is a given.
    In the 60’s and 70 ‘s the football players and baseball players
    ate “ greenies “ and “ black beauties” ..speed ..to get an edge.
    Bottom line is that Edelman is a very good football player
    who has been tested many,many times. I can’t say for sure
    if he has done it before. I can say he is a pretty good football
    player.

20. also, Peyton Manning’s physique is not what someone would think of as an HGH user but that’s what Pats fans are saying about their precious Tommy. This is like catching the liberals on Twitter making fools of themselves.

21. Goodell just has it out for the Patriots, we all know they would never cheat, like spying and deflating footballs just another story made up by Goodall to slow down Patriot Nation… (Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

22. Peyton Manning should have had his super bowl stripped with the evidence against him, but his fans are quick to point at otherS

23. Nflfollower…while I agree that this trainer doesn’t seem the type to push PEDs, using Brady’s physique as an example though…look at Lance Armstrong…not exactly muscle-bound.

24. On one hand, I don’t automatically believe that some of these guys knowingly took anything on the banned list. The supplement industry is a free for all with little regulation and clarify.

On the other hand, part of me enjoys this only because of all of the pats fans constantly bringing up Lane Johnson.

25. peyton ate HGH in his raisin bran for years and lied about it repeatedly. he should be investigated by the FBI. edelman is innocent. WITCH HUNT

26. He probably has a money back guarantee that no one will get caught juicing if they stick to his diet.
    And now he has to return Edelman’s money.
    So disappointing…

27. So, there’s only 2 possible conclusions 1) Edelman knowingly took the PEDS from Guerrero’s coaches or 2) Edelman took them outside without Guerrero’s knowledge, which acknowledges that Edelman doesn’t think Guerrero’s training is good enough. Either way makes Guerrero looks like a fraud of a trainer.

28. scmems07 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:18 pm
    Guerrero is taking a situation completely unrelated to him and making it about himself… How very trump-like of him.

————————-
    Thank god! I was struggling to think of a way to insert Trump into this topic and was getting frustrated no one else was either. But you came through with the creative angle. Good show man!

29. The Patriots…and their players…are in all your heads…and it’s funny as hell.

One little thing, and you blow it up to be nuclear…just to make yourselves feel better about the last 17 years…..Is a joke.

Will see what happens to Edelman….To me, if it’s not steroids, and it’s not recreational drugs like cocaine etc….then it isn’t a big deal. HGH, should actually be prescribed to adults attempting to recover from injury, as it promotes healing…and does nothing more.

30. Sounds like Guerrero has bought into the patriot way: deny, deflect, deny, deflect.
    If he comes out and blames Goodell tomorrow, he’ll officially be a patriot.

31. pauldeba says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:51 pm

————-

Exactly what evidence was there against Peyton

A defunct rogue newspaper with a reporter that recanted. Also claimed others took HGH but all were exonerated. No failed HGH test.

32. Why would Alex Guerrero even make a statement?? He has no dog in this fight, and to throw Edelman under the bus is f..ed up.

Guerrero is an attention getting snake oil salesman..

33. I love how everyone says Guerrero can’t be pushing PEDs because of Tom Brady’s physique… yeah, because Rafael Palmeiro was built like a Greek god, lol. PEDs aid recovery, people, not always about building muscle mass.

34. Test Tammy he cheating fraud next. He is the Barry bonds of football, the true king of asterisks

35. Karma for all the Pats fans and former Pats players who yapped about Lane Johnson using PED’s. Welcome …you all still are known cheaters in more ways than one. FLY EAGLES FLY!

36. Established fact that PEDelman has been a DEVOTED disciple of Guerrero for years

Also established fact that Edelman and Brady have been tested numerous times in the past with zero failed tests until this one….what say you?

37. One thing i like about belichick and that is when a player lies like Brady did or gets caught like ninkovich and edelman did he will never take the heat for them. He expects them to be professionals and when they aren’t it’s on them. Except of course when BELICHICK GETS CAUGHT

What did Brady lie about? In case its not clear, I’m asking for specific, factual examples of what Brady lied about. It obviously wasn’t about the manual deflation of footballs since anyone with an IQ above 10 knows how that happened…..the same way it did in the Steelers/Giants game two years later.

38. The Truth says:June 7, 2018 at 7:09 pm
    “Established fact that PEDelman has been a DEVOTED disciple of Guerrero for years”

=============================

That’s false. If you watch TOM Vs TIME, Guerrero was arguing with Edelman about he’s not against weightlifting and other conventional form of training. Obviously Edelman is NOT a devotee and apparently still adheres to traditional weight based training and veered off Guerrero’s advice and took the OTHER alternative on his own.

39. standinginmybboystance says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:16 pm
    shadywarrior says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:01 pm
    Here’s the thing: I am all-in on what I know of Guerrero’s dietary beliefs…
    ————————————

Tommy, that you?

38 17 Rate This

————————————
    Hahahaha, touché. If only, bud. If only. I stand by all of that medicine take though, in all seriousness.

40. spillertime21 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 8:23 pm
    If he comes out and blames Goodell tomorrow, he’ll officially be a patriot.
    ***********************
    Bravo!!!!!!!

41. The guy is coming of an ACL in his walk year. Anybody in his position would at least consider getting supplemental help which would provide the short term benefit of getting back on the field faster without a noticeable drop off in performance. He’s a 33 year old slot receiver that is looking for his last payday. His decision to use and the fact he got popped has nothing to do with his team or his trainers…that’s on him.

42. Guerrero isn’t at fault here. Edelman made the choice to do this, and he is ultimately the one who needs to take responsibility.

Guerrero works with a lot of athletes, and this is the first athlete who has been caught testing positive for PED’s under Guerrero’s care. Edelman is trying to get back quickly, and got caught doing the wrong thing.

43. bradjames33160 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:41 pm
    the Patriots fans talking junk about Peyton Manning looking pretty dumb right about now.

Yeah, we call that false equivalence. Here’s the difference. Peyton walked, Julian didn’t. See the cheating?

On the Brady facebook videos there was a scene where Brady is calling out Edelman for lifting weights b/c it goes against the method. Same with PEDs. Guererro may have “oversold” the benefits of his herbals but he’s not into the banned substances. You can buy Guererro’s stuff at any drug or nutrition store. But at the end of the day, JE made a choice and now you hae to live with it. That’s the patriot way. Too bad he doesn’t play for that other northeast team in blue that is teflon coated.

44. With regards to Guerrero–there is a good article from the Boston Globe posted a few years ago. But, uh, not only did he sell a cancer supplement that bold claims about how it would help people, he had to later admit that his claims of success were all made up –he never did any testing on the supplements for success–he actually faked all the documents and claims to sell the supplement.

And then did something similar with the concussion cure–until his prior sanctions from the fda quickly got him on their radar again and it had to be pulled from the market quickly.

So..please do a little search before you give Guerrero a pass. I would say taking money from cancer patients and then later admitting the supplement was never really tested is vile.

45. Can’t the Pats just play by the rules for once? All this cheating is getting old.

46. Since 2015, just 3 years, 160 players have been suspended for PEDS. Chances are way above average that your team has a player on that list.

47. JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    June 8, 2018 at 7:28 am

How true, especially considering that no other player or team has even been accused of any wrongdoing.

Hey, speaking of things that are getting old……and lame.

48. Karma for all the Pats fans and former Pats players who yapped about Lane Johnson using PED’s. Welcome …you all still are known cheaters in more ways than one. FLY EAGLES FLY!

____

How is it Karma? Johnson still got busted for PEDS. So did Alshon Jeffries. Cheat Eagles Cheat??

49. Important to release that statement, but hopefully it doesn’t drive a wedge between Brady and Jules. Brady would know what he was suspended for and who he got it from most likely so insinuating he got it from another trainer may cause problems for Julian.

50. suncawy says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:59 pm

———————

Guerrero is saying JE11 didn’t get any banned substances from anyone at his facility.

51. nflfollower says:
    June 7, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Guerrero seems like an earthy crazy hippie type to me
    ——————————————————————————————————-

for the record, PED doesn’t mean steroid, it means anything on the list. Realistically it was most likely HGH, which is used most often for injury recovery and anti-aging, which you wouldn’t “see” on anyone, including tom brady.

Not saying it WAS Guerrero, but given his history and his perspective, HGH probably would fit in with his ideals.

52. shadywarrior, agree 100%!!! Too many people blindly follow conventional medicine without even asking questions! Unfortunately, many have no choice because it’s the only thing insurance will cover 😦

53. seems like both guerrero clients gronkowski and edelman spent a large amount of time off the field due to injuries last year. sounds like this guy is taking credit for brady but wants no blame for anyone else.

54. jr6765 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:19 pm
    Ok…How ’bout Lane Johnson, (twice). And every NFL team has had a player suspended for some form of PED (allegedly) use!

55. sbchamps3233 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:05 pm

———

A controversy that unites the Patriots is generally bad for the rest of the AFC.

56. Theevidencesaysotherwise says:
    June 7, 2018 at 8:33 pm
    pauldeba says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:51 pm
    ————-
    Exactly what evidence was there against Peyton

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No one’s been “exonerated” yet! Two baseball players are suing Al Jazeera so nothing has really been settled yet.
    (Funny how Manning has stayed mum about this, especially since his goons tried to pass themselves off as law enforcement to Charlie Sly’s parents,who also called 911 about it).

As for Peyton…He had a great record breaking season the year after neck surgery which is amazing considering his forehead is the size of a billboard…And don’t give me the crap that it was for his wife to help her get pregnant…Plus taking 20 IU’s per day when 1-2 IU’s is the therapeutic level. No doctor in their right mind would prescribe this to a pregnant woman who at the time was carrying twins!

As far as I’m concerned, I think that the majority of MOST athletes are taking “something.”

57. Brady’s been juicing for years, and I’m not talking kale shakes. Nobody gets better from 35-40 unless they’re juicing.

58. salty Patriots fans. I don’t need you to hold my hand and tell me the difference between Peyton’s situation and this one. I’m a pro reporter. I know anger and rudeness are the best way to handle disagreements on the Internet. Keyboard warriors!

59. Flash1287 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:13 pm

bert1913 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    cheaters cheat….that’s why their called cheaters #deflategate

Crybabies cry on the internet when the team they root for sucks

That’s why they are called crybabies.

——————————

And thy trolling hath been complete.

60. It’s almost as though the culture created by the Patriots has put the players in a position where they feel like they need to do whatever it takes to win…

61. PEDs run a huge gamut of things in the eyes of the NFL. Does anybody remember the Star Caps suspensions? There was a supplement in those pills that was banned by the NFL. If I remember correctly it wasn’t a steroid or HGH, but it did aid in building muscle mass. The NFL banned it.
    The point is everybody that is assuming Edelman took a steroid or HGH so it couldn’t have come from Guerrero needs to wait until the “PED” Edelman tested positive for is revealed. It could very well have been a natural herbal supplement, that in the eyes of the NFL gives players that take it an advantage, therefore they have banned it.

62. shadywarrior says:
    June 7, 2018 at 7:01 pm

——————————————————————————-

I feel for your girl. Is she off completely yet?

I’ve been there myself. I went through absolute TORTURE getting off those things. My doctor had me go cold turkey off of a very large dose, which was very dangerous IMO, and very stupid of that Dr (who clearly knew nothing about that drug and how to get off it (Google “Ashton Manual” it is the preferred method to get off benzos)). I was in full blown acute wd for a good 7 months. Couldn’t drive or anything. It was unreal.

63. Weed is holistic and natural as well. Yet it’s illegal federally. Why? The current president and the more extreme side of his party are dead set against legalization.

64. Debi Conway says:
    June 8, 2018 at 9:19 am

3 0 Rate This

——————————————————
    💯💯💯💯💯💯

65. cantescapekarma says:
    June 8, 2018 at 11:50 am

I feel for your girl. Is she off completely yet?

0 0 Rate This

————————————————
    Thanks man, appreciate the kind words, and I’m terribly sorry that you suffered the same experience. Hope you’re doing better now! You people who have survived it are legit the toughest people on the planet. I had a front row seat for it, and “torture” is exactly the right word for it. My gf interacted with another woman who had been through four rounds of chemo and said that was a walk in the park compared to benzo withdrawal, yet no one seems to know about it, and there’s not a whole lot of understanding from people, especially the medical community, as you probably know all too well.

She’s doing better, she’s going through some intense healing right now, but she’s getting pretty close to taking her last dose! Don’t know the exact mg of the top of my head, but she’s taking partial pills at this point, so the taper is winding down. The Ashton Manual has been her bible, she’s had to be her own doctor for this process. On the plus side, her shrink actually abruptly RETIRED upon learning what these pills are doing to people, and both her therapist who works at the same office, plus the guy who cuts my hair (who also went through a benzo taper btw), his mother is best friends with the guy’s wife, and word is, the guy was shaken up knowing what he had been prescribing to people. So that’s progress! Just a few tens of thousands of shrinks to go!🙄😒

Thanks again man, and best of luck to you, hope you’re feeling more like yourself these days! And thanks to PFT for even letting me post this stuff, but it’s something I’ve become passionate about for spreading awareness. I’m yelling it from the rooftops! Hahaha

66. Here we go again with the circle of life in the NFL….a Patriot gets suspended, the haters then rejoice, New England continues to win, the haters then cry. Yawn, just another season.

67. Brady’s been juicing for years, and I’m not talking kale shakes. Nobody gets better from 35-40 unless they’re juicing.

_____

So, you are admitting Peyton Manning, coming off an injury and a year off from playing, has his best season, maybe the best season of all time, at age 37, seems a little odd??

68. holistic approach includes hgh. did the right thing to take it and get healed up. should be another great year for our pats if we can stay healthy!