Report: Julian Edelman facing four-game PED suspension

Getty Images

The Patriots had Tom Brady back on the field today, but they could be without one of his favorite targets for the first month of the season.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Patriots wide receiver is facing a four-game suspension, for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Edelman is appealing the suspension, so there’s no official comment from the league yet.

He missed all of last season with a torn ACL, and now the Patriots will have to rely on a new crop of targets if the suspension stands. They also let Danny Amendola leave in free agency, though they have brought in Jordan Matthews and Cordarrelle Patterson this offseason.

214 responses to “Report: Julian Edelman facing four-game PED suspension

1. HAHA, the biggest CHEATING Organization in sports history gets caught again..
    Stay classy NE.

2. #2 years old, coming off a torn ACL and he’s going to miss the first four games. My guess, this all combines for enough that he gets cut as soon as he can be. No loyalty in New England.

3. Well he is appealing the suspension.

Tom Brady called him and said: “Dude remember the Patriot motto. When busted DENY DENY DENY!”

4. JT Kos says:

June 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm

HAHA, the biggest CHEATING Organization in sports history gets caught again..
    Stay classy NE.

==================

You posted in the wrong article. You’re looking for a Broncos/Seahawks article.

5. Like it will matter. Brady might of been on the losing side of the SB, but still shredded the Eagles defense for 500 yards and 3 Tds w/out Edelman. This will make no difference unless Gronk is unhealthy.

6. Oh boy, I’ll wait for details instead of the big headline grab but as a Patriots fan this isn’t good. Keep it clean fellas

7. Don’t let this distract you from the fact that the Atlanta Falcons blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl against the Patriots

8. The Patriot Legacy: We Cheated.

Man, I HATED playing games with other people and they had to cheat. So cheap and disingenuous.

None of you SB wins are legit.

9. Whoops! I wonder what the PED was, as it seems like a lot of things over the counter at GNC etc. are on the list.

10. To think he is one of just a few in this league who take enhancement drugs is crazy. Looking at some of these guys you can tell he’s not the only one. At this point who cares.. let him play.

11. what a surprise, cheaters for 16 years now…tainted forever, real adult football fans outside of the NE bubble have watched them get away with it….and this is just another example…finally the nfl doing something about the cheaters….

enjoy your continuing tainted legacy

12. hukdeep says:

June 7, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Ty Laws Pick 6 should rename herself:
    Julie’ssuspended4
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Post of the day, can’t stop laughing, not a single Patriot’s fan gets under my skin but that blowhard.

13. Michael LaRocca, Business Editor says:
    June 7, 2018 at 1:54 pm
    That’s probably more fun than playing.
    ————————————-
    We have a winner.

14. When Brady got a 4 game suspension he was fresh and healthy for the Super Bowl. 4 weeks of health and more rehab could help Edelman too. Thanks Roger!

15. Actually this probably helps Edelman since he’s coming off of major knee surgery.
    That means Edelman can go through training camp and pre-season before his suspension starts. It could give a good barometer on how the surgery has progressed.

16. Uh oh…..well next man up I guess.

Just hope he doesn’t pull a Pehghton and announce his retirement.

17. Will the genius cut him now because he besmirched the years of intregrity they are so reknowned for?

18. grogansheroes says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Name me one team that has not had a player suspended for this?
    ——————–
    not one

19. What a bunch of cheaters!!! When will it end? Never, I guess! It’s in their DNA!

20. grogansheroes says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
    Name me one team that has not had a player suspended for this?

—————————————————–
    Name me 1 team whos players & coach has been caught as many times CHEATING……?

21. So waiting for the high and mighty pats fans to say this was rigged and it’s the commissioners fault, better dust off those pitchforks! And the blame the NFL in 3…2…1.. go!!

22. He’s currently smashing his cell phone and claims that he called his neighbor his “supplier” because he brings him “Coke” products from the bottling company.

23. billswillnevermove says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:11 pm

——

I’m sure some of my fellow Patriots fans laughed as well.

24. grogansheroes says:

June 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Name me one team that has not had a player suspended for this?

—–

25. The beginning of the end has started. Once the losing starts the cry’s from all the Southwest will be of biblical proportions. They had a nice run. They will now go back to being a doormat as they were befor Brady and B.B. South Boston will explode. Dogs will be living with cats and the sun will cease to shine in NE. Have to say that out a smile in my face 👍👍👍👍

26. Just look at all the grownups losing their minds and dignity on these threads about sports.

Your bitterness isn’t about Julien or the NE Patriots – they’re about all of you.

Do better

27. unclebluck says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:19 pm
    grogansheroes says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
    Name me one team that has not had a player suspended for this?

—————————————————–
    Name me 1 team whos players & coach has been caught as many times CHEATING……?

——————-
    Off the top of my head?

Broncos
    Jets
    Seahawks
    49rs
    Steelers
    Giants
    Dolphins
    Raiders
    Colts

And there are more, its just over half the league.

28. the haters will call him PEDelman
    ——————–

That’s good work by you!

29. lol. Gotta get that ACL healed somehow!! Who is the Patriots team doctor!?
    Did they somehow get the Steelers former team doctor out of prison and give
    him a job!? 🙂

30. If he did this then I am fine with the suspension. Do the ctime do the time I think applies equally to everybody. Don’t even feel the need to see it reduced. We will be far from the only team doing the first four weeks without some suspended players.

31. Awesome, He’ll be back stronger than ever. That’s thinking outside the box.

32. scoops1 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:06 pm

I’m too busy being distracted by the fact that the New England Patriots lost the Super Bowl to Nick Foles.

33. billswillnevermove says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Ty Laws Pick 6 should rename herself:
    Julie’ssuspended4
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    ——————–

Pats fans find him every bit as annoying, he’s been run off the Pats boards.
    As for Edelman, pending the appeal it is what it is.

34. youngnoizecom says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:06 pm
    Lunchpail guy, hard worker.
    ————————–
    AND banned substance user.

35. Uh-oh……

I can hear it now: 5 Rings! TB is the GOAT! You’re all jealous!!

36. mongo3401 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:22 pm

mongo3401 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:23 pm
    And to Pat fans. That’s not hate from me. It’s reality.

————————-
    Well you did say the crying would come from the southwest. I have more faith in those teams than you but whatever.

And South Boston explodes every week and a half anyhow so that is hardly news. You should go for a walk there. Share your views. They love to listen so it will be good.

37. Here come the jealous Trolls hater comments. Just a reminder to the envious loser fans from every other team except the Eagles, the Patriots went to the SB last year without him. So go back to wishing your team was a tenth of the organization the Patriots are.

38. Love all the “cheaters” talk, like people from other teams don’t get suspended for the same thing all the time. You make yourselves look ridiculous.

That said, i’ll reserve judgement until we hear more, but my snap reaction: Come on, Jules…🤦‍♂️

39. Cue the Boston rationalizing/blame deflecting in 3…2…1…

“They hate us ‘cuz they ain’t us!”
    “Everyone does it!”
    “If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’!”
    “Roger hates us and targets us!”

Did I miss any?

40. “Poor tylaw guy can’t catch a break after going on the Broncos feed yesterday and talking about the Broncos PEDs. Lol.” Let’s see if he shows. I’m betting……no.

41. billswillnevermove says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:11 pm
    hukdeep says:

June 7, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Ty Laws Pick 6 should rename herself:
    Julie’ssuspended4
    _______________________________________________________________________________

—————-

Lol, hes all ours and you cant have him!

42. youngnoizecom says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:06 pm
    Lunchpail guy, hard worker.
    ————
    Rather have guys like him than idiots like YOUNG NOIZE

43. “A pat story with no nhpat or tylaw, too funny.” They are both cowards.

44. This may actually work out perfect. Edelman will be 100% healthy WEEK 5. I think i’ll be putting $$$$ on England vs Philly super bowl rematch. I smell it!

45. mybigthirdleg says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:08 pm
    They can win the pathetic AFC East with no WR’s…

———-

Just imagine what they would do in the cream-puff AFC North? When was the last time the Pats lost to an AFC North team anyway?

46. 3xapple says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:35 pm
    Cue the Boston rationalizing/blame deflecting in 3…2…1…

“They hate us ‘cuz they ain’t us!”
    “Everyone does it!”
    “If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’!”
    “Roger hates us and targets us!”

Did I miss any?
    ————————————–
    Yes. Doesn’t everyone destroy their phone when they have nothing to hide?

47. guadalahonky says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:36 pm
    Patriots will go 4-0 in the games that Edelman misses
    ————————
    Let’s keep an eye on the officials bank accounts for those 4 games.

48. Go to Wikipedia.
    Search for “List of suspensions in the National Football League”
    On that page, look at the table titled “Suspensions for violating the substance policies”
    Using your browser search function, search for the name of your favorite team.
    For example, search for “Giants” within the table.
    How many results do you get?
    For the above example, “Giants,” you will find 16 hits in the table—16 different suspensions for PEDs since 1983.
    Same for “Bengals”
    Search for “Patriots” How many hits? 9
    Continue for the remaining 29

The team with the fewest hits gets to proudly toss out “Cheaters!” to the rest of the league….

49. Their fans are desperately trying to put on a brave face here. It’s not working.

50. Taking something to heal his ACL no doubt. League had no issue with Peyton taking this approach for his neck, right?

4 more games to rest an recuperate. How’d that work out for Brady a couple years ago? Pretty good, I think.

51. 345snarkavenue says:

June 7, 2018 at 2:20 pm

billswillnevermove says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:11 pm

——

I’m sure some of my fellow Patriots fans laughed as well.
    LOL, you got to admit, that was a classic! And I do see that a lot of other Patriot fans think he is a blowhard as well. As far as Edelman, love that little dude, wish he was on my team.

52. williamshatnerstoupee says:

June 7, 2018 at 2:45 pm

“A pat story with no nhpat or tylaw, too funny.” They are both cowards.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Actually nhpat is pretty cool, the other guy, not so much.

53. I like all of the sky is falling from pats haters…they made it to the sb without him and probably would have won it if belicheck plays butler.

54. neatpete1 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:24 pm

—————————————————–
    Name me 1 team whos players & coach has been caught as many times CHEATING……?

——————-
    Off the top of my head?

Broncos
    Jets
    Seahawks
    49rs
    Steelers
    Giants
    Dolphins
    Raiders
    Colts

I would say the Saints should be on that list…..but please for the life of me tell me what Dolphins players or coaches cheated? Also, all of those teams combined to equal what the Pats have been caught doing so your statement doesn’t really hold water.

55. Enough with the “over the counter supplements” crap. These guys getting caught are NOT going to GNC or the local health food store for supplements!!

Everything you can get out of a legitimate performance enhancing “supplement” you can get from real food. These guys have plenty of money and time – they can get plenty of nutrition from their normal every-day diets.

What these guys are getting popped for is illegal training “GEAR”, not over the counter supplements.

Not that I blame them – roll the dice and make millions (or hundreds of millions, *cough* Alex Rodriguez), or play it safe and get cut and sell Insurance.

56. Peyton to Edelman: here take these….I, ehhem, I mean Ashly don’t need them anymore
    Peyton to Roger: I’d test Edelman for PED’s…

57. These comments prove to all of us, once again, that the only thing the rest of the league is truly good at is making a complete & total horses’s ass out itself. Nice work, other 31!

58. “The team with the fewest hits gets to proudly toss out “Cheaters!” to the rest of the league…”

Patriots have NUKED the “benefit of the doubt” bridge. If you took a poll of the rest of the league, asking what team are the biggest cheaters, New England get an overwhelming majority of the votes. Since so many of our teams have been victims/targets of the cheating, I think we’ll all feel pretty secure in calling New England whatever we want, thanks.

59. “And I do see that a lot of other Patriot fans think he is a blowhard as well” He’s all over the other articles, but doesn’t have the courage to show up on this one. I think he’s a welfare recipient who does nothing but sit at home and troll every article he can find.

60. I wonder if there is true scientific proof that non-steroid supplements work. Seems like a lot of guys lose a lot of money dong something that most likely has no proven benefit

61. CHEATERS! Yeah right, just the Patriots!

2017 suspensions:

Jalin Marshall, New York Jets
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins, New York Jets
    Nick Marshall, New York Jets
    Jeremy Kerley, New York Jets
    Marcus Gilbert, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Trent Murphy, Washington Redskins

62. So I understand Edelman has worked closely with TB12 and Guerrero during his recovery. Hmm…..

63. Christopher says:

June 7, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Another NE Cheater! No wonder they lost the super bowl to the Eagles.

======================

If you lose, it kind of defeats the purpose of bending the rules, no? The Philly Special, now there was a effective bending of the rules. And interfering with Chris Hogan on the last play.

64. “Pretty much. I think the NFL needs to get off their rear ends and post an approved list of supplements, only available to the players to read.

As of right now, guys are getting suspended (if you believe them) for too many over the counter supplements. I think they really need to get on top of this finally. Too many good players testing hot for who knows what.”
    ——————————————–
    To the poster of this: There is already a list available to the playersm twom in fact. One from the league and one from the NFLPA. All the players have to do is check the list of substances. Sadly, most seem incapable of reading anything that has words over one syllable.

65. Just curious, is there a pro football player who doesn’t use steroids or peds?

Get a grip tyros, geesh.

66. dieselguy19 says:

===================

Uh, check your math.

67. Well they did fine without him all last season. On the other hand, maybe he could have played defense in the super bowl.

68. Hot take time.

If we find out there is a lot more to TB12 than meets the eye…and the fact that Edelman worked very closely with TB12 and Brady’s little buddy Guerrero gives me reason to think there is… and if as I suspect they are giving Brady the same “help” they gave Edelman to let a 41 year old man play football at a high level… and combine that with the controversies around the Patriots the last several years….

….then Tom Brady isn’t making the Hall of Fame.

There, I said it. Take that to the bank.

69. wny49er says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:03 pm
    —–

You’re right, it will make no difference because the eagles will have their qb back next season. The qb that was shredding every other qbs numbers and leading the league in wins and tds. And people like to point out bradys numbers but fail to mention the pats defensive numbers vs a backup qb.

70. oh well…
    NFL player gets busted- no biggie
    Cano, Braun, AROD, etc get caught in MLB- you would of thought they killed a child- all the outrage..

look at Edelmen- of course he is a cheater, those roids have made him lose his temper often

71. The Pats will be fine. Just like they were when Brady was suspended.

That’s because they play in the AFC Least.

72. Trying too hard to get back in shape after a big injury. The temptations must be difficult to resist!

73. I’m not here to add to the “cheater” chorus. But the “what about so and so” defense is laughable. No matter how much you whine and scream and stomp your feet, the reputation will remain. And 100 years from now, when sports fans are debating the great teams from the pre-robot years, every mention of the Patriots will bw followed by “but, cheating!”

Sorry guys, that’s just the reality of it. Don’t believe me? Read through the comments above mine again.

74. Great to have the new running back. If he hits his stride , Pats win the Superbowk. Outstanding!

75. Lets hope he wins the appeal. if it were intentional (HGH or Steroids) it is strange that he wouldn’t have been more careful given how long he has been off to have whatever he took out of his system. He wouldn’t have needed to be available for testing for a long time.

In this case it really may be some other substance, but we will never know most likely.

Generally the “PED” label is hard for me. Adderall is different than HGH for me, but they are in the same bucket. In a way the lack of disclosure of the violation protects the abusers and punishes the minor offenders. You never know which is which.

76. chillyball says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:06 pm

None of you SB wins are legit.

====================================

Neither is your grammar.

77. laukkanen5 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:34 pm
    oh well…
    NFL player gets busted- no biggie

————-

In my opinion I think that is because you would be hard pressed to find an NFL player that has never taken steroids in their lifetime. It is nearly impossible to get as big as many of these guys without steroids or HGH at some point.

I think fans are realists and know that it’s fairly prevalent and testing in the offseason is lax.

Baseball is a bit different in that you are comparing the stats back to Babe Ruth and trying to keep everything the same in terms of the field and equipment. Even in baseball things have calmed down though.

78. HaHa! Patriots Fans will say “Next Man Up”… oh wait, Edelman who bails you out every year is now a Dolphin!! HaHa… what happend to Belichick being a Genius?

79. I’m still waiting for them to catch Brady and his steroid usage.

prob will be like Peyton Manning or Ray Lewis as they ride off into the sunset with a Super Bowl right after we find out they’ve prob been doping their whole HOF career

80. NFL INSANITY!

Legalize certain drugs for recovery and healing and give a lifetime suspension for anyone taking anything else.

Simple solution, but Roger at $40MIL/year is not paid enough to think of it and will screw this up too.

81. Stupid if true, but excuse me if I remain skeptical until there is independent verification of actual facts by people who understand things like 9th grade chemistry. Which clearly excludes all the “duh Brady destroyed his phone” liars as well.

82. James Jackson says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:48 pm

I’m still waiting for them to catch Brady and his steroid usage.

======
    It’s coming. I had my doubts but I really think it will happen now. 41 year olds simply don’t play football at this level without help.

Spygate and Deflategate didn’t hurt his legacy too much. A PED bust will incinerate it. And he will forever be known as a cheat like Armstrong and the rest of them. If that happens, Brady won’t make the Hall of Fame. Guaranteed.

83. davehamgood says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Braz, what bank? You are sad.

==========
    Truth hurts.

84. I love how patsy fans, much like Drumphers are employing the, “Well, he did it first!” justification.

Not too far off from the, “I’m not a puppet, you’re a puppet” debate method.

85. Braz says:

June 7, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Hot take time.

….then Tom Brady isn’t making the Hall of Fame.

There, I said it. Take that to the bank.

========================================================

“if as I suspect”…. with zero proof. And reports are already out that Edelman hasn’t spent much time at TB12 this offseason as he had in previous years. Lets wait for a little information first, shall we? The optics are bad for TB12 but aren’t nearly as bad as the admitted facts of Peyton/Ashley Manning’s deal. But even in that case with many, many more facts, there’s still nothing definitive.

86. aj66shanghai says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm

================
    As with many things, perception is reality.

No there’s no asterisk in the record book but it doesn’t have to be. The perception that they bent rules over the years is sufficient for an asterisk and no fan will ever change their minds on that.

Unfair? Maybe. But as I said before it was almost completely their own doing and their own arrogance in my opinion.

87. Well, this a blessing in disguise if it actually holds up….. he gets to practice with team all year till season starts…. gets 4 weeks of additional rest & train/rehab on his own & doesn’t count against the 53 man roster for 4 weeks allowing a fringe player to make the squad that may have been released & claimed by another team….. so, I just turned lemons into lemonade…..SWEET LEMONADE!!!

88. laxcoach37 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:48 pm

————————————–

Someone want to help short-bus here or should I?

89. What I love is that how splintered the anthem makes all of us on these posts, while any story about the patsies cheating can truly bring us all together.

!Cheers! to bashing the patsies and making that battle 31 vs 1.

GoTheOther31

90. bullcharger says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:42 pm

===================

I bet Tom is feeling very nervous right about now and so should Pat fan. Perhaps Brady in an attempt to save his legacy will play clean only for his game to fall off the cliff as one would expect with a 41 year old athlete. That in my opinion would be telling.

91. Braz says:

June 7, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Guess Pat fan won’t be yukking it up about Peyton Manning anytime soon.

=================================

You may have noticed, nothing happened to Manning. No substantive investigation, nothing. Enormous difference. Yuk away.

92. HaHa! Patriots Fans will say “Next Man Up”… oh wait, Edelman who bails you out every year is now a Dolphin!! HaHa… what happend to Belichick being a Genius?

Wait, Edelman is a Dolphin? That’s breaking news. So this entire article on how Edelman of the New England Patriots has been suspended is false? Great news!

93. Pat fan can deny the asterisk associated to their dynasty all they want but it’s there.

While that’s probably true in the eyes of fans, we have come to learn that most fans are not too intelligent. For instance, a lot of this “asterisk” talk is based on false accusations like filming practices/walkthroughs (never happened), bugged locker rooms (zero evidence), stealing play sheets out of hotels (zero evidence), warm gatorade (laughable), headset malfunctions (this is ignored when it happens at literally every other stadium).

Our hope is that the next generation is a bit smarter then all you and can come to realize that filming opponents from the wrong location and 0.2PSI caused by mother nature does not dilute the 18 years of sustained success.

94. this is great news because jules will get more time to heal plus the boost from hgh, and new guys get more work with brady before the playoff push. notice jules didn’t have the meds he needed shipped to his girlfriend either like a low life. it was a big plus when the league framed brady with that 4 game suspension and i think jules made the right decision trying to get back on the field with some hgh. go pats!

95. If we find out there is a lot more to TB12 than meets the eye…and the fact that Edelman worked very closely with TB12 and Brady’s little buddy Guerrero gives me reason to think there is… and if as I suspect they are giving Brady the same “help” they gave Edelman to let a 41 year old man play football at a high level… and combine that with the controversies around the Patriots the last several years…
    ======

IF?

When.

96. Edelman has been associated to Guerrero, an admitted fake doctor peddling things like quack diets and magical concussion water to athletes and other people. Not a stretch to think he would be doing and prescribing other shady things with his “patients”.

As with most of your theories, there is a big flaw here. Both Brady and Edelman have been in the league for a long time and presumably have been tested in the past. Where are all the positive tests? Why hasn’t TB12 tested positive? He’s been with AG for years……..

97. pointerdogs says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:55 pm
    Sometimes running on Dunkin just doesn’t cut it. GO PATS.

********************

Ha!

My mom’s family is all from New England, and I grew up marveling at their obsession with DD every time I visited

98. Braz says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:40 pm
    Guess Pat fan won’t be yukking it up about Peyton Manning anytime soon.

—–

why on earth would this stop us?

Edelman apparently got busted and will live with the consequences

Manning got a free pass.

Maybe you can’t see the difference, or maybe you just ignore it.

99. Look at all the fans of other teams FREAKING OUT over this….. what a RIOT!!!
    I’m just glad the Patriots didn’t CHEAT YOU out of this little bit of enjoyment…… & PLEASE DO ENJOY IT…cause you KNOW when the regular season starts, you’ll all be whining & crying anyways….. so like I said, enjoy this while you can & Ill just wait till REAL football starts & the Pats keep thrashing your organizations & enjoy THAT to the max!!!!
    Cheers!!!!
    Go Pats!!!!

100. Chill_Donahue says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:03 pm
    JT Kos says:

June 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm

HAHA, the biggest CHEATING Organization in sports history gets caught again..
    Stay classy NE.

==================

You posted in the wrong article. You’re looking for a Broncos/Seahawks article.

===================
    Right. Because Denver and Seattle have lost multiple 1st round draft picks due to cheating…. oh wait…

Patriots are synonymous with Cheating. 31 other fan bases agree.

101. Those poor, picked-on Patriots… getting 4 game suspensions whether they’re pumping up or deflating.

102. I told y’all Belichick had a reason to want to distance Guerrero from the team. It can’t just be about workout routines. He knew what was up and wanted to limit the damage. Once again Bill was right.

103. Braz says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:35 pm
    The Pats will be fine. Just like they were when Brady was suspended.

That’s because they play in the AFC Least.
    ——————————-
    I see a lot of guys comment without really knowing anything about their topic. But I’m still anazed there would be anyone who would actually think this is playing the AFC East.

Houston
    at Jacksonville
    at Detroit
    Miami

Thats a new level.

104. blessedunliketherest says:
    June 7, 2018 at 4:29 pm

============

Perception is reality as I said. Asterisk.

Unfortunately you guys will have to wear it.

105. Patsrthegreatest- are you high or stupid? Everyone has commented on lane Johnson getting nabbed but that’s in the past so it’s not being talked about like it happened, ya know, today….like your boy. I’ll be the first to say when you cheat, you have to pay, Johnson got caught cheating and paid dearly, as he should have. When your bozo squad gets caught cheating, they lie lie lie and your fan base eats it up like candy, you’re like trump supporters, you assume it’s a lie when it’s not in favor of your team and it’s the truth when it is, facts are not relevant to the ‘patriot way’

106. Man, weird offseason up in Foxborough.

Not sticking up for him (no reason to), but wonder if said substance was something he was taking to help heal up.

107. No Pats fan, but B.B. will find a way to win a lot of games this year because it doesn’t matter who is on the field. I wish my teams had that kind of funk.

108. Guys rehabbing injuries are going to do what they need to do to repair their bodies.

109. theprez5 says:

June 7, 2018 at 2:28 pm

scoops1 says:
    June 7, 2018 at 2:06 pm

The above is a highly underrated comment

110. When the perception is your team bends and breaks rules and does things that are contrary to the rule book and the spirit of the game….and millions of fans outside of the NE fan base feels this way… then I’m afraid you’re not going to find the benefit of the doubt that you’re asking for.

Perception is reality as I said. Asterisk.

Unfortunately you guys will have to wear it.

That’s just it. Perception is not reality, its perception. There are many people out there that still try to claim the Patriots cheated with the Tuck Rule or through the perfectly legal eligible/ineligible receivers in the Ravens playoff game. I read a post the other day where a guy claimed Belichick tries to trick the refs and that’s cheating. Day after day there are people that claim the Patriots videotaped a walk-through when that has long been proven false. No matter what is said or how many times facts are provided, these people won’t change their mind. As a Pats fine, I’m actually OK with it at this point – there is nothing we can say or do to convince some people otherwise. So I’ll gladly “wear it” knowing full well that what some uniformed, unintelligent fans say on a football site post really has no basis in reality.

111. * * * 18 and NOne…TWO-YARD TOMMIE, three time loser, eli owns him, a backup qb kicked his worthless butt in the SB…

Give me a ring when a backup QB wins 5 SBs and goes down as the greatest QB of all-time.

Nothing better then the “Eli owns him” comment. Eli hasn’t won a playoff game since that last SB in 2012. Brady has two SBs, 2 SB MVPs, a league MVP, and a GOAT designation. Oh yea, and he never got benched for Geno Smith.

112. That is amazing, we have a Patriots cheating story in which actual cheating may have occurred. It really doesn’t happen nearly as often as certain posters on this site would have you believe.

113. perception is perception.
    reality is independent from the capability of something to discern it.

Or is it: lies are truth because that’s my perception?

114. blessedunliketherest says:
    June 7, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Perception is reality as I said. Asterisk.

Unfortunately you guys will have to wear it.

===========================
    And what’s the point of writing a long diatribe that you believe is scientific proof that the sky is blue? To change minds? That’s what Pat fan does and to me it’s really a futile exercise.

As for the theories around the Pats and what did or didn’t happen…. like I said when your team has the perception of cheaters you’re not going to get the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this. And hopefully you realize that most of the “trolls” on Pat articles don’t really believe what they say, they just say it to have fun at paranoid and thin skinned Pat fan’s expense.

Personally I do NOT believe the Pats are cheaters (although if Brady gets popped for PEDs then that will change). But as I said before I believe Belichick’s arrogance is directly responsible for what we know today as Spygate. If his name wasn’t Belichick, that would be a fireable offense. And Brady’s carelessness and paranoia is responsible for what we know as Deflategate. It’s unfortunate that your dynasty has this perception but it is what it is and you guys own this.

115. But it is reality. If millions of people believe the sky is green, and that’s the perception, does it really matter that the sky is really blue?

We are going in circles here. I’m just going to stick to my original point…..perception is not reality, its perception. If the sky is blue, then its blue. It doesn’t matter if people think its green. Their perception is wrong. Millions of people can be wrong. Just because there are strength in numbers (although I’d argue there are plenty of non-Pats fans that don’t have the perception of cheating), it doesn’t mean its reality.

As to your second paragraph, I mostly agree. Like I said, I am not trying to change anyone’s mind. I learned long ago that no matter what you say some people will just choose not to listen. I’m fine with that. I’ll fully admit, its fun posting actual fact-based retorts to some posts though……that’s really why I’m here, to call people on their lies and distorted facts. Not because I think I’ll change their mind, but because its funny to point out the stupidity.

116. I believe Belichick’s arrogance is directly responsible for what we know today as Spygate. If his name wasn’t Belichick, that would be a fireable offense.
    ===============

Precedent and history have shown the opposite. If someone other than Belichick was filming signals from the sideline, it would be a $50k fine for the team and no one would think it was a big deal.

117. The list of “cheating” teams just this year …

March 19, 2018 2 games Josh Huff WR New Orleans Saints
    March 23, 2018 4 games Corey Liuget DE Los Angeles Chargers
    March 23, 2018 4 games Josh Mauro DE New York Giants
    April 6, 2018 4 games Thomas Davis Sr. LB Carolina Panthers
    April 12, 2018 4 games Vontaze Burfict LB Cincinnati Bengals
    April 20, 2018 4 games Kentrell Brothers LB Minnesota Vikings
    April 20, 2018 4 games Kent Taylor TE Carolina Panthers
    April 30, 2018 4 games Cayleb Jones WR Minnesota Vikings
    May 1, 2018 4 games Vadal Alexander OL Oakland Raiders
    May 4, 2018 4 games Akeem Ayers LB New York Giants
    May 8, 2018 4 games Mark Ingram RB New Orleans Saints
    June 6, 2018 4 games Julian Edelman WR New England Patriots

A lot of you jumping on the Patriots hate wagon might be better served in realizing your wagon may not be that shiny as well. More so if we decide to open the archives a bit further than 6 months. Just sayin’.

118. johnwaldron8 says:
    June 9, 2018 at 11:25 am
    ======================
    Technically Saban is directly responsible for what we know today as Spygate. If he never synched up audio from the game film to the coaches tape, Belichick never would have gone off the rails and promoted filming signals as an acceptable method of stealing signals.

We also know from JJohnson that taping signals happened well before Spygate. Not only did he not get fired but managed to win a couple of Super Bowls. So no, we most certainly do not know that is a fireable offense.

Every team in the history of the NFL condones stealing signals. Which is why prior to this current morally corrupt commissioner, the reaction was always “That’s football”. Followed closely with no real advantage materialized from it. Yet it continued and was condoned by the league and their fans despite the supposed lack of advantage. Yet somehow inexplicably, taping signals from an illegal location (which yielded the exact same result of the Saban effort mentioned above) is the line in the sand that cannot be crossed. Illegal is illegal in the end. Everybody gets it. But the pretense of this being the biggest cheating scandal ever is getting old and crusty.

119. isithockeyseasonyet says:
    June 7, 2018 at 5:49 pm
    ===================
    Do the facts now show that both the Eagles and Patriots are cheaters? 🙂

This isn’t the first Patriots nabbed for PED violations. It won’t be the last. The Patriots are far from the only team that cheat in this manner. Heck even with Edelman the Pats may not break the top 10 in terms of teams with players serving suspensions.

120. Braz says:
    June 7, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Perception is reality as I said. Asterisk.

Unfortunately you guys will have to wear it.
    ==============================
    Is it fair to ask Eagles fans to wear the asterisk because of LJohnson? Which time should we choose?

121. Braz says:
    June 7, 2018 at 3:35 pm
    The Pats will be fine. Just like they were when Brady was suspended.

That’s because they play in the AFC Least.
    ================
    That or they could be used to playing without Edelman. Just sayin’.

122. fireroger says:
    June 14, 2018 at 10:39 am
    johnwaldron8 says:
    June 9, 2018 at 11:25 am
    ======================

=================

To clarify, I didn’t write that part about “Belichick’s arrogance,” I was quoting someone else who holds that erroneous opinion.

The fact is, teams were caught filming signals before the Patriots were, a team was caught filming a practice after 9/2007 and a team was caught with a cameraman on the sideline after that was portrayed as the biggest scandal in sports. In all of those cases, there was a minimal, if any, punishment by the league. Spygate became what it was because influential owners were tired of and jealous of the Patriot success and they had a corrupt puppet as a commissioner who was willing to overpunish a minor (and later, imaginary) offense to bring them back to the pack.