Andre Hal diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Getty Images

Texans safety Andre Hal announced on Friday that he has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Hal got an initial diagnosis from the team physician and is undergoing further testing at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston as he puts together a treatment plan.

“My faith in God and the support from my family, friends, teammates and coaches will see me through this difficult time,” Hal said in a statement. “I will not let this diagnosis stop me from fulfilling my dreams and I do not want anyone to feel sorry for me. I know how to beat this and I will beat it.”

The McNair family and head coach Bill O’Brien also released statements pledging their full support for Hal as he battles the disease.

It’s a process the Texans know all too well after offensive lineman David Quessenberry was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2014. Quessenberry returned to action last year and played in the team’s final two games of the season.

Everyone at PFT hopes for a similar outcome for Hal as well as Giants General Manager Dave Gettleman, who announced his own lymphoma diagnosis earlier this week.

32 responses to “Andre Hal diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma

1. It just me or do more NFL players suffer from this than the general population. I get that there is reporting bias (you wouldn’t report my kids getting it, nor does it deserve reporting) but even still it feels like this is more common.

2. Wow. Best of luck to Hal and his family. If there is any consolation it is that the #1 ranked cancer center, MD Anderson, is about two miles from NRG Stadium.

3. Cancer does not discriminate. Life is short as it is. Add something like this and it should make everyone stop and review how they are living their lives. I’m happy, live for the day, with someone who makes me truly happy. I had to make changes to get to this point but they were the best changes for me. I am living life to the fullest. I appreciate what I have and who I share it with. Don’t wait to get sick to learn this valuable lesson. Thank god for those unanswered prayers in life too bc often you find it’s a good thing you didn’t end up where you thought you wanted to be. I’m so lucky and I remind myself everyday now. Don’t lose everything before you realize what you actually lost either..SEE what you have when you have it. Don’t settle, don’t use, don’t forget.

4. No matter if you are a Texans fan or not, your heart has to go out to this young man. It would bring a lot of joy to all of us to see him return and have a HOF career.

Why is it that we seem to have so many more cases of cancer than we did 40 years ago? As a kid we rarely, if ever, heard about family, friends, or the famous with cancer. While we now live in an age of information overload, it still seems to be much more common than years ago. Do all our processed foods, supplements, medications, etc. somehow play a role?

5. Andre,
    I’m a non-Hodgkins CA survivor and want to compliment you for staying strong. You can beat this. You will beat this. If you believe in your heart and soul that you can then you will. I’m praying for you. Stay strong.
    Christopher OLoughlin your brother in cancer

6. Amazing how many negative’s I’m getting for asking if it’s more common. People don’t seem to complain when the CDC investigates childhood cancer clusters. I wasn’t saying NFL players do anything to deserve the cancer, but you see a very rare type of cancer happening in a population it definitely deserves study to determine if there is something linking them. The diet of an NFL player is very different than the average person, wouldn’t you want to know if there is some supplement that is causing an increase in this form of cancer?

7. Good luck to Andre Hal in fighting this. They’ve done wonderful things in helping people beat these diseases, so keep the faith, Andre!

8. amurdora says:
    June 8, 2018 at 3:54 pm

——————————————————————————————–

Hodgkin’s Lumphoma is most common in males between the ages of 15 and 30. That pretty much describes the population of the NFL.

9. donnymacjack says:
    June 8, 2018 at 3:23 pm

————
    We hear more about cancer because media coverage is far broader than it was 50 years ago. There’s not really any more cancer — although no types have been cured. However, the survival rate has improved significantly since then – and massively for some types of cancers. Getting a cancer diagnosis then used to be like getting a death sentence. Now, with the exception of a small number like pancreatic, if they catch it early, survival chances are pretty good. The chances of a player being able to resume his career — eventually — are also good. Good luck to Hal.

10. stubborndata says:
    June 8, 2018 at 5:07 pm
    Thank goodness for pre-existing condition coverage in the future, unless it gets destroyed by our current leadership!

1 3 Rate This

Thank goodness we have you to bring politics into the equation when really we should be praying for this youngs man life and his family. Cmon you’re better than that.

11. People are getting all of these diseases from all the crap they put in their mouths. We are being slowly poisoned. We are!

12. amurdora says:

June 8, 2018 at 3:09 pm

________________

What type of dumb observation is that? Do you expect the media to report news of people that have been diagnosed with it?

It is a estimated 8,500 people a year that will be diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma a year, did you happen to think that you’re hearing about it more for football players because it’s being reported on a football blogging website?

13. amurdora says:
    June 8, 2018 at 3:54 pm

___________

Very rare disease? 8,500 people are diagnosed a year with Hodgkin’s lymphoma with over 4,800 being males. So how is that rare? You’re on the internet, next time stop and do some research before whining about people negative towards you when you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

14. trubiscuitbears34 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 5:21 pm

So let me get this straight. You would prefer “thoughts and prayers” to practical observations about reality? You’re the one who isn’t helpful.

15. trubiscuitbears34 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 5:21 pm
    stubborndata says:
    June 8, 2018 at 5:07 pm

1 3 Rate This

_________________________________

But he’s right though. Luckily he will receive the best treatment available due to his status as an NFL player. But if he wasn’t pre-condition screenings should be available to all citizens in this country. Doesn’t the constitution say to provide for the general welfare of the United States, which are its citizens.

16. God bless you Andre! Pray to Saint Jude because your faith in God can overcome anything.

17. I had it in 1992 as a Stage 3 cancer. I’m still here and haven’t breathed any cancer since.

I do send Andre prayers, vibes and good juju. I ain’t religious but that stuff helps. It just does.

18. Chiefs Nation went through this with Berry. Take your year off, get healthy, pray, and get well. Fight for your life as well as that moment you return to field. Going through that tunnel was one of the coolest things I saw when Berry came back. The whole stadium was estatic.

Game day we’re divided with opposing teams/players/fans but sickness and sadness brings us together.

Chiefs fans are on your side!

19. Thank you all the cancer beaters who commented on this article. Yeah, me too. We are many so you see, Andre, you can whip it too. Fight on, brother, we got you.

20. amurdora says:
    June 8, 2018 at 3:09 pm
    ===============

Wow, Really asking the important questions here. Why not just wish him well and a speedy recovery. All cancers are a battle.

21. First and most important, to Andre and his family, I wish you the best and hope and pray for your complete recovery. May God bless you and your family during this difficult time.

Second, as mentioned by a few comments here, what’s with people voting thumbs down to people genuinely expressing hope and prayers for Andre? If prayer isn’t your style, that’s fine, God bless you, but why not just leave the comment alone? I’m sure you’re not voting thumbs down because you don’t wish Andre well. Unfortunately, this seems to happen whenever we have a story regarding somebody’s serious health issue. Please stop, people mean well by their expressions of support, so just leave it be.

Finally, to the cancer survivors who have commented with your support…two thumbs WAY up to you!! Your courage is inspiring.

Keep the faith, Andre, all football fans are behind you!!