Julian Edelman: I am very sorry

AP

Word broke on Thursday that Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman is facing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s performance-enhancing substance policy.

On Friday, Edelman issued an apologetic statement on his Instagram page that did not delve into any details about what triggered the suspension.

“I am very sorry,” Edelman wrote. “I don’t know what happened. I’ve taken many, many tests obviously over the course of my career, and nothing like this has ever happened. I apologize to the Kraft family, my coaches, teammates and fans. As this matter is being appealed, I can’t say anymore but no matter what, I will be ready to play and pursue another championship with our team and for Patriots fans around the world.”

Trainer Alex Guerrero, who works with Edelman, Tom Brady and other Patriots players, released a statement on Thursday that called the news “disappointing” while adding that anyone suggesting he gave Edelman a banned substance is “irresponsible and just plain wrong.”

Assuming the suspension is upheld, Edelman will be able to practice and play in the preseason before serving his suspension to start the regular season.

100 responses to “Julian Edelman: I am very sorry

1. Im often curious to know how many guys knew they took something illegal or really were just being extremely stupid and didnt know exactly what they are taking.

Im going to say 90% know what they have taken. Too high too low – what yall think

2. Here is my theory:

Caveat: He cheated, I believe that firmly

Julian, faced with the prospect of not being ready to the 2018 season, knowingly took a banned substance to help him heal from that catastrophic injury. With the outcome being he would get caught and sitting out 4 games is better than missing a whole season.

My money is on HGH … the banned list is not just steroids.

CC: Rodney Harrison
    CC Peyton Manning

3. Anyone remember Rodney Harrison? Did you take HGH? Yep!! I had to heal fast and show them I could still play and at 32 I got a 6 million dollar contract! I can see the same thing happening here.

4. BuffaloSportsTown says:
    June 8, 2018 at 2:38 pm
    Banned substances dont change. Tests do.

————————-

Correct. But, Peyton Manning’s undetectable CHinese HGH was so good, it clearly never registered, which is why the pathetic cover up by Goodell is such a joke and so obvious.

Article 46 literally vanished during that entire time as Goodell was willing to double down, be exposed in court framing Brady and the Pats, and then have the balls to claim Article 46 is why he can do whatever he wants, when he wants, to who he wants to do it to.

I would say Edelman wanted to get back faster, which is always the case off a rehab with those who make that decision. And, it’s a stupid one at that.

I don’t really get it, because it’s not worth all the hard work you’ve put into your career.

5. Let’s face facts. Most of these guys do this, he just didn’t get it out of his system fast enough. But it’s kinda funny when Pats fans act as if it’s and indignation to their superior knowledge of the game because the cheater is a genius…

6. No need to apologize. The NFL bans so many over the counter supplements that it’s hard to keep up. Their are also many NFL supplements that unfortunately have been tainted which can also result in a positive test

7. “Very sorry” that’s wonderful, glad you are man enough to admit you did something wrong unlike your QB. Bravo to you Julian!

However, you say you are sorry and yet you are appealing the suspension. So you admit you did it, but don’t think you should be suspended for it? So who told you to appeal it? Bill? Tom? Or Robert?

All 3? Ok that makes sense. I believe you.

8. Will wait until the appeal is heard.. probably not HGH, as anyone with a serious injury will certainly be monitored for that…

Could be as simple as a GNC product or as sophisticated as something he took and was told it could never be detected..

Or just a false positive.. stay tuned.

9. trubiscuitbears34
    Jun 8, 2018, 2:41 PM EDT

————————————————————

Too low. An elite athlete knows exactly the contents of everything that he/she puts into their body. If they don’t, then they pay folks ridiculous amounts of money to know for them. No such thing as an “accident.”

10. Just a question here. Not pertaining only to the pats. But shouldn’t these teams doctors, nutrionists, therapists and trainers know what’s banned and what isn’t? That’s what they’re paid for.

11. camsbiggestfan says:
    June 8, 2018 at 2:50 pm

——————

Very true, but you have to be responsible. These guys get paid millions and are adults. You have access to numerous trainers and doctors. Ask them if it’s ok to take. Not hard.

12. They really need to look at this policy. I’m not a Patriots fan, but some of these suspensions are getting ridiculous. Obviously there’s a need for a substance policy, but we’re not talking about steroids anymore here. In many cases, these are over-the-counter products that contain trace amounts of banned ingredients. This isn’t cheating. Stupidity maybe…but not cheating.

13. “You can stick your sorries in a sack, mister!”

Nothing to see here.

Another patsy caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

14. Employee: Hey I’ve got something that will help me work better, work longer and subsequently make 5 times more money than I would have otherwise made.

Co-worker: No I’m not interested in ANY of that.

—–Said by Nobody EVER

15. dimi1919 says:
    ===

The NFL provides every single player and every team with both a list of banned substances, and a list of supplements known to contain any of them. Every player is given a hotline number to call if he has a question about the contents of any legal or over-the-counter supplement he is considering taking.
    I don’t doubt it’s possible for a normally safe or cleared supplement to somehow become tainted with a banned substance during the manufacturing process, but I also believe that’s extremely rare. The vast majority of guys who test positive either knew exactly what they were ingesting and thought they could get away with it, or they couldn’t be bothered to use the resources at their disposal to find out if what they were taking was safe.
    Either way, no excuses. In the vast majority of cases the responsibility falls directly on the players; not on their teams, their doctors, their trainers or their nutritionists, but on them.

16. Ha story of everyone that needs help in life…I’m sorry but,,,, if I could count the times an apology is followed with some reason the punishment should not exist, it really was someone else’s fault or it’s not who I am I.

17. “…nothing like this has ever happened.” Is that code for I’ve never been caught.

Rule of thumb…if you need to inject it, it’s banned. If it’s banned and you take it orally get your head checked cause you’re killing your liver.

18. Apology accepted 🙂 It’s all good, mistakes happened. Still love me some JE11!

🙂

19. This is very out of character and hard to believe. Not that Edelman was cheating but that anyone associated with the Patriots would actually admit they did something wrong without dragging the rest of the league through the mud for months and years. Well done Jules!

20. Wow, reading the comments above you’d swear Julian Edelman is the first ever NFL player getting busted for using a banned substance. The outrage!

I’m interested to hear your excuses when the Patriots beat your team again, with or without Edelman.

21. ariani1985 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 3:04 pm
    Go hang another banner Julie!

7 6 Rate This

——————-

Umm, there’s a good chance he might.

22. mgp1219 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 2:43 pm
    Can’t wait to see/hear all the patriots fans blaming Goodell for this one.

———————
    Why? No one thinks Goodell sat on his chest and forced the stuff down his throat. And catching it in testing then handing out punishments is Goodells job. Frankly what Im glad to see is that the team Edelman plays for had no bearing. His sentence was not any more or less than the hundreds of other players that have been caught at this. In the past the Patriots have, rightfully, had a complaint with Goodells consistency in determining penalties. So in this case when he was consistent its actually nice to see for a change. Edelman needs to just serve his suspension, hopefully learn from it, and life goes on.

23. trubiscuitbears34 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 2:41 pm

————————————————————–
    100% – Elite athletes know because they are extremely cautious in their approach. The lesser level players know because they trying to become elite. The greater question is what percentage of the players are taking banned substances 40?60?80?>90% – I’d put it at least 60% and yes that’s across all teams for those of you that think your team is above it because they didn’t have a player get caught yet.

24. “I’ve taken many, many tests obviously over the course of my career, and nothing like this has ever happened.”

It sounds like he doesn’t understand why the masking agents didn’t work this time.

25. Sorry he got caught perhaps and risked possibly further tainting his best friend’s legacy. If you ask other players if PED use could result in 2 SB wins and a possible SB MVP in one of them, I bet most would sign up. The rewards outweigh the risks.

26. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    June 8, 2018 at 4:06 pm

———————-
    The only place Bradys legacy is tainted is in the minds of his haters. And it does not matter whether they were given a frame job to yap about or this matter or whatever. The haters were going to dream up some way to tell themselves his legacy is tainted because thats how they roll.

27. Newsflash, Julian … the Patriots do not have fans around the world. They have fans in the Boston area, of whom about 50% or more of, couldn’t tell you who John Hannah or Mosi Tatupu are, since they weren’t fans, prior to 2001.

28. Just took the stuff Dr. Alex told me to take…
    New Flash: Feds about to come down on this charlatan quack BIG time. Predict he’ll be on a plane to the Seychelles or Barbuda sometime soon.

29. mrbiggstuff says:
    June 8, 2018 at 2:54 pm
    trubiscuitbears34
    Jun 8, 2018, 2:41 PM EDT

————————————————————

23 7 Rate This

yeah you’re probably right – rethinking my number it probably is higher. I do think there is 1-2% that really are just dumb.

30. trubiscuitbears34 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 4:59 pm
    mrbiggstuff says:
    June 8, 2018 at 2:54 pm
    trubiscuitbears34
    Jun 8, 2018, 2:41 PM EDT

————————————————————

—————————————————————————————–

Way too low. The number is 100%. All of these guys know exactly what they are putting into their bodies and even if they don’t know — all they have to do is pick up the phone and call the league office to find out.
    These cheaters make me sick. They should be thrown out of the league once and for all.

31. envybreedsidiocy says:
    June 8, 2018 at 4:00 pm
    Let’s all jump to a conclusion…real quick…all together now

////////////////////

He’s guilty………that was easy
    Give me another one.

32. illymutt says:
    June 8, 2018 at 3:41 pm

You’re right. But when it happens to other teams, the Tylaw Guy is usually the first to comment so I’m guessing that’s why it’s all more sweeter to some.

33. boiler72 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 4:46 pm

4 2 Rate This

—————

most ridiculous thing i have ever heard

34. I say we pass judgement on the guy before we know all the facts cause my team sucks and is irrelevant and Patriot bashing makes me feel better about myself

35. why not publish a more detailed summary

when and how tested
    substance found
    traceability / persistence in the body after taking
    margin of error for false positive
    similar to Blood Alcohol level for OUI, what was the level found?
    List known / proven sources and providers from NFL cases

Much seems taken at face value, without questioning. This is the NFL folks. How much air was in that football?
    don’t get me started

36. I would say virtually every player in the NFL uses PED’s. Maybe a few QB’s don’t but everyone else does. Look at these guys, that muscle definition is next to impossible to get naturally. Look how much better the kicking game has got in the last 10 years. Anyone see that picture of Josh Gordon yesterday? His arms just aren’t possible to get naturally.

37. Whatever happened to eating normal healthy food and working out? Maybe all these mental problems players get after they retire are from all these chemicals they’re ingesting constantly and not concussions?

38. donbat67 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 5:53 pm
    WE’re gonna need more asterisks .
    _____

Really? 160 players have been suspended for PEDs since 2015. Your favorite team is on the list.

39. Tylawpick6 where you at you’re usually quick to bash teams when it’s not yours and now all I hear is crickets. Laughable. Anyway I remember yesterday everyone was saying he’s gonna fight it now he’s saying sorry. Whatever I Hate the patriots but he’s the idiot not the team.

40. Hey Edelman — Liar liar pants on fire!!!!

The only reason you are sorry is because you got caught.

41. tylawspick6 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 5:34 pm
    most ridiculous thing i have ever heard
    —————–

But then you don’t ‘hear’ your own nonsense. Or do the little voices actually speak out loud?

42. Law of the jungle in NFL. Julian,32,coming of knee surgery,and Pats retool receiving corps.Sorry Jules ,you had your 15 minutes of fame.

43. He’s sorry he got caught. No Patriot is sorry for cheating. That’s why they pla6. That’s how they win.

44. Look at all the Pats fans deflecting and trying to bring up unproven accusations against a retired HoF QB. They can never just admit that they cheat, always trying to play the victim or divert attention.

45. Belichick will give him the game ball his first game back.

“If you aint cheating you aint trying, good job Julian” – Bill

46. Another cheating sports team from Boston. David Ortiz would be proud of this pathetic joke of an apology. Bostons new nickname is Asterisk city.

47. Bruce Payne says:
    June 8, 2018 at 6:36 pm

—————————————————————————————–

I tend to agree with you that many players are cheating. However, my son who is a quadriplegic from a car accident, has a friend who is a professional trainer. He works with my son in at our local gym and does a lot of work with the Special Olympics, too. He went to school to be a nutritionist and got into power lifting first (he once weighed 260 lbs) but said he was always sore and knew that it was not healthy to do that. He is about 6 feet tall and “only” weighs about 200 lbs now. But he has an unbelievable build. He has an 8 pack on his stomach with a very small waist, and huge arms. He works out every day except Sunday, but he tells me all the time the key to getting a build like he has is one word — diet. He is almost religious in his diet about what he eats and what he doesn’t eat. And he says sleep is another key. He says most people don’t sleep nearly enough and its the most important time for allowing your body to heal. He doesn’t touch supplements except some herbal stuff and vitamins. Nor does he drink or smoke.
    I am not arguing with you, but I would bet my life that this guy does not do anything like PED’s and he looks like a smaller version of a linebacker. Except his arms are proably as big as most linebackers, with more definition in them. And his flexibility is incredible. We took my son’s kids to a place where they have lots of trampolines and after some encouragement from us, he got on one and started jumping and doing twists and flips. The young guys that work there — all of whom are great on the trampoline, gathered around and just watched him. The height that he was getting on that thing blew them away. And to see a guy that muscular with that much flexibility was amazing.

48. He probably figured that HGH was ok now, you know after the Manning thingy. Or is it possible that there are different levels of justice depending on who you are? Hey, wait a minute, isn’t that what kneeling was all about?

I have zero issues with him being suspended. The caprice in meting out justice is a bit puzzling.

49. Let me start with, I know nothing about this situation. However, should I find myself at a cross roads in a pro athletic career with a devastating knee injury, and a desire to continue that career, I would very definitely take HGH to get back on the field in the shortest amount of time possible. Suspensions be damned. If your Payton Manning, you get a “look squirrel” reaction from the league/media. If you are Julian Edelman (or a Patriots player) you get the full “CHEEEEEEAAAATTAAAAH” label. Oh well, the next contact will sooth the pain or harsh words.

50. So it’s true, “Jules”? I am a Pats fan and I say you’re not welcome back. Like all the other cheaters in the NFL, you should just go away. I now feel about you the same way I felt when I learned about Mark McGwire.

51. joker65 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 6:49 pm

=======================================================

Yes, but it’s the consistency in which the Patriots perform, and not just the players with PED’s.

52. dang, i agree with every post by tylawspick6….he is right on

i still love Edelman, a small guy from Kent St, turned himself into a great player. shame he will be marked a cheater forever

53. ironsides says:
    June 9, 2018 at 7:58 am
    joker65 says:
    June 8, 2018 at 6:49 pm

=======================================================
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Or maybe NE just out works a lot of the other teams. Like many on here I’ve seen enough NFL Films of the Ravens, Seahawks, NE, Broncos, etc. to know just how hard some of these teams are coached…Maybe that’s why they win so much?

54. Cheater cheater cheaters. Shut down this team. They are making a mockery of the NFL. The Patriots need to be dissolved yesterday. They’ve turned football into another WWF. Everything is rigged. Everything is a giant scam.,

55. Taking note of all the responses here as I reflect back on the BS being espoused about Brady just apologizing and owning it.

Riiiiggghhhhhtttt 😉