Earl Thomas won’t attend Seahawks minicamp

Getty Images

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said last week that he was expecting safety Earl Thomas to be at the team’s mandatory minicamp when it starts on Tuesday, but Thomas has other plans.

In a post to Twitter on Sunday, Thomas announced that he will not attend the team’s minicamp. Thomas suggested he won’t be at training camp either unless the team gives him a new contract.

I will not be attending the upcoming minicamp or any team activities until my contract situation is resolved. I want everyone especially the 12s to know that I want to remain a Seahawk for the rest of my career but I also believe that based on my production over the last 8 years that I’ve earned the right to have this taken care of as soon as possible. I want to have certainty in regards to the upcoming years of my career. I’m going to continue to work my craft and put in work so that I can add to the team and give us the best chance to win. I hope my teammates understand where I’m coming from I believe this is the right thing to do.”

Thomas is set to make $8.5 million in the final year of his current contract. There were talks about a possible trade involving Thomas earlier in the offseason with the Cowboys seen as a possible landing spot. Those could be revisited if the Seahawks and Thomas continue to have different views on his contract in the coming weeks.

77 responses to “Earl Thomas won’t attend Seahawks minicamp

1. At least the lines are officially drawn. Now they can get to work on the contract extension before training camp. He’s not getting traded or that would’ve happened already. Get it done Schneider.

2. Always thought in the end he’d go on as the greatest Seahawk ever, now all I care about is getting at least a second rounder and some change out of him.

3. Looks like Pete Carroll’s superficial happy talk still doesn’t convince the veterans to buy in.

4. fine him until he caves. Its that simple. I would be shocked if the team gives him anything after he went to the Cowboys side and asked for them to trade for him on National TV.
    I believe the team plays hardball with him for that very reason,,,and they should.
    Do not let the inmates run the prison

5. 12s still in denial about Earl Thomas? The organization and more specifically the gm Schnieder and coach Carroll have been misleading with their quotes. Fact is that a deal is still possible to retain Earl, but seattle needs to step up and make a deal, otherwise, everything else is still on the table. My guess would be that ET is not stepping on any field without a new deal, and I do not believe seattle will offer.

6. That entire franchise is a sinking ship. If they didn’t have Wilson we’d be talking about them as a #1 pick contender for next year’s draft.

7. Earls gonna do what Earls gonna do! I just hope it all works work for both sides before it gets ugly…

8. He’s a veteran. He doesn’t need much practice. Let him hold out. He’ll be back when he starts losing money. Then he will play hard during his contract year.

9. What a hot stinking mess the Hawks have become which is what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum. Let him sit or let him walk. You went 9-7 with him the others.

10. They caved to Kam and now they’re stuck with a huge cap hit for a player that can’t even play. Don’t make the same mistake with Earl. Fine him through camp, make him play the season and then franchise and trade him next year or let him walk.

11. thenewguy12 says:

June 10, 2018 at 11:10 am

___________________________________________________________________________

Agree except the Browns are still in the league so make that a contender for the #2 pick next year—unless the NCAA changes course and decides to let the Browns play against college teams

12. WELCOME HOME TO THE 2019 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION DALLAS COWBOYS! WHO WILL HAVE OVER 70 MIL IN CAP SPACE NEXT YEAR!
    That being said, we have been smart and drafting well under Garrett and with drafting well comes paying your own players.
    Gotta get Dlaw locked up, Martin locked up, we already got Smith and Freddyy locked up, But STUD Dak will be coming up, Zeke will be offered FAIR like Murray was but we will not break the bank.
    Thus being said Thomas would be our missing pice to Win NOW. This team is LOADED but missing a STUD errr or Any FS in the backfield.

13. Thomas stated “he won’t show to any team activities until his contract is resolved.” Last I checked, Thomas is under contract he signed, what needs resolving?

14. This is another reason to expand the roster from 53 t0 60 players. If you don’t honor a contract you agreed to and took the money and benefits from then expect to watch the games from the sidelines until your contract is over.

15. I can’t understand the people taking shots at players for trying to make the most they can and not “ honouring the contract”
    Teams cut players all the time doing the same thing yet there’s not outrage.. it’s their livelihood and if they didn’t make the most money they could they’d be fools.

16. I would be a very happy camper, if my Cowboys’ could make it work, as would a lot of other fans I know!!! Richard is with us now 🙂 They could be reunited…..

17. I give him credit for being straight up about what he wants, but 8.5 mil isn’t a bad hunk of change. These people lose their perspective.

18. Parnell Rigsby says:
    June 10, 2018 at 11:20 am

Greatest one year dynasty the sports world has ever seen

but eagles fans swear that it is easy to keep winning super bowls!

19. Sorry, you can’t pay a guy for what he’s done in the past. You have to pay him on projected production.

I don’t get why people have a tough time understanding that the owner/business holds the hammer. Just like any other organization/industry.

20. i don’t fault the guy – it’s probably his last contract, and on a 1-yr deal, he’s a knee injury away from no leverage, and maybe no more career – so he’s trying to get what he can, while he can.

truth is, he’s still very good and a key guy to what is now a much younger defense. if his extension demands aren’t completely outrageous, let’s get that extension done. you don’t get better by letting guys like him walk.

21. calizcowboyz says:
    June 10, 2018 at 12:18 pm
    “we have been smart and drafting well under Garrett”

Garrett coached cowboys in 120 games, they lost 53 of them.
    I guess for a team with 2 playoff wins in the past 25 years that is just fine.

22. In other words, Thomas knows that he has started to break down physically and is at the start of the end of his career, and so he wants to lock in one more big contract before it is clear he isn’t worth it anymore. He is using his superlative past career to try to get the Seahawks to pay him a lot now for past accomplishments, not future value. Hopefully, Seattle and every other NFL team is wiser than that.

23. I know late last season he told Jason Garrett and the Cowboys “Come get me”

I also saw a couple days ago Deion Sanders was saying he wants Earl on the Cowboys. Not that Deion matters, but it was funny cuz he said “It’s over for the Seahawks” while begging Dallas to sign Earl😃

Seahawks are rebuilding, but don’t want to say it. I doubt they win 8 games this year. Earl wants out. Let him go.

24. Well, if the Seahawks trade him, the other team will hold the advantage since now that they know he wants a new contract any team trading for him won’t have to give up a 1st round pick. With his coach, Kris Richard, no in Dallas it seems that is the most logical spot.

25. Seattle’s defense is gonna get torched again this year. Earl and Kam are proud carholdong members of the AARP and plan on spending most of next season on the IR.

26. His position market has absolutely collapsed. If you pro rate a signing bonus into this year’s contract it’s 10 mil total. It’s his right to hold out though. Seahawks should do 1 of 2 things. Inform his agent that Seattle plans on franchising him the following season so he will be held to all fines for absences and will be a Seahawk or……trade him to Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Buffalo for whatever they feel like giving up. Time is up on the coddled treatment of the vet leftovers.

27. You read the contract. You liked the contract. You signed the contract. HONOR the contract and try to get a new one as you are preparing for the season.

28. if you are tired of players doing this, then just even out the playing field and support ownership guaranteeing their contracts. Players will agree to stop holdouts in exchange for guaranteed contracts. Until then, it makes little sense to whine about a player exercising his right to do what teams already have the power to do, which is cancel a signed contract.

29. freefromwhatyouare says:
    June 10, 2018 at 1:37 pm
    I know late last season he told Jason Garrett and the Cowboys “Come get me”

———-

What have you seen that makes you believe the Cowboys are any better going into this season than the Seahawks?

30. “Players will agree to stop holdouts in exchange for guaranteed contracts/”

No they won’t.

31. Damn, the trolls are out hard on this one. Let me fast forward for the football noobs…he’ll start game #1 with an extension in hand when the season starts. Now feel free to comment on the next ten “Thomas is holding out” articles.

32. calizcowboyz says:
    June 10, 2018 at 12:18 pm

———-

With Thomas he Cowboys might win 8 games…..without him they might win 7. Sure, go ahead and sign him.

33. No surprise the Sunday PFT comment sction is anti-player. They don’t care that a team can cut a player for any reason and not be on the hook for future salaries. But a player can’t do he same? They’re the ones who risk their life + limb.

34. Since the Hawks won’t get much for him, I think they should trade him to Cleveland. That would be the best place for him now!

35. Is he holding out for less money? Cause from where I’m standing he’s not worth the $8.5 million he’s getting.

36. Seattle is already in rebuilding mode, so let him sit.

Get someone else in that spot that wants to play.

37. “My guess would be that ET is not stepping on any field without a new deal…”

Good luck with that. It will start getting prohibitively expensive it he decides to sit and no other team likes holdouts. They would make an example of him by NOT paying him what he’s worth. If he wants a max deal, he needs to come into camp, prove he’s still the man and, then get traded. The Hawks will only do that from a position of strength.

38. No team really wanted him at the draft. Seattle couldn’t even get a high second for him.
    Age has caught up to him. He simply isn’t top tier anymore. Let him sit out and pout. Where is he going to go? Seattle won’t trade him for a bag of peanuts so time will pass until the Duke of Earl decides to honor his contract.

39. Start paying these guys by the hour plus bonus money for how well they sing the national anthem.

40. He’s one of the only few good players they have left, don’t know what they’re being cheap for

41. He sounds respectful and transparent. They will probably waive him or trade him and then thank him for everything (nothing) on his way out the door. I know $8,500.000.00 in one year would never give my family financial security. Where can I send him a food basket? Poor thing.

42. Patrick says:
    June 10, 2018 at 6:54 pm
    ————————————————————-
    They have plenty of good players on their roster. Them overpaying another almost over the hill super bowl participant is the reason they are being cheap. They gave away millions to Bennett just last season in a signing bonus/ new contract before dumping him and having dead money. They bent over backwards to make Kam happy with a new contract that now looks absolutely horrible as they are just paying him hand over fist to Be permanently IR’d/retired for the next 2 years.

43. Patrick says:
    June 10, 2018 at 6:54 pm
    He’s one of the only few good players they have left, don’t know what they’re being cheap for.
    ====================================================

Because the Seahawks are rebuilding.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Sorry 12th man!

44. Lol at delusional ungrateful Seahawk fans, if any of them stayed on the bandwagon now that the team stinks.

Wilson, Wagner, Thomas, Clark. You have 4 Good players left. The roster is barren. Any white qb would be murdered behind that line and the D has been gutted. Thomas has been the best fs in the game and judging by the comments here Thomas is.right to want out if he’s this unappreciated by fans. If they still exist now that the roster is not competitive.

45. He needs to stop crying he’s needs to prove him self this year with out the other teammates he had that left then talking about getting paid

46. I don’t know much about how much he makes and what he is worth, but the NFL contract game really favors the owners. If they think you are no longer worth it, they can cut you regardless of how many years are left on your contract, or they can strong arm you into throwing the contract away and signing a new one for a lot less. But when you are worth way more than your contract, you have no honorable options. I am all for honoring your contract and keeping your word but it doesn’t work both ways. And then there is the risk that someone will sign a big contract and stop making the effort. So there needs to be some protection there too. I don’t know what a better system would be but this one favors the owners. I wonder if the NFLPA are working on this?

47. I Like that he made it clear he was dissatisfied with his contract and thinks he should be paid more and given an extension. I doubt that many really disagree with that, including the Seahawk front office. I believe by changing his position on the mandatory camp (assured he was attending previously) he has given us an indication on the progress, or lack therof, of the current talks. I trust the talks will continue with much more earnest, now. If they don’t agree on an extension, expect him to be out until game 1 of the season. He will be franchised next season, so that is the starting point for the extension talks.

48. Hawks will surprise people this year.

Line and running game will be vastly improved which will help passing game.

Defense last yr didn’t have Bam Bam, Sherman or Avril for most of the year. The only real loss is Bennett and he was ‘iffy’.

Thomas has missed a lot of games the last couple years.

A good running game makes a good defense.

49. “What have you seen that makes you believe the Cowboys are any better going into this season than the Seahawks”

=======================

I never said I personally felt any way about either team. Deion said “It’s over for the Seahawks” when he was talking about wanting the Cowboys to make a move for Earl Thomas.

I do believe the Seahawks fans do not want to admit they are rebuilding, which is exactly what they are doing.

Earl Thomas seems like he wants to move on. Why not get rid of him and continue the roster rebuild you already started? He isn’t the franchise. RW is. RW is the only one that should be untouchable during rebuild.

50. The NFLPA needs to do a better job with player contracts. Owners should not be the only ones who can terminate contracts and treat players like commodities. Players should be able to do the same after reaching certain points in their contract.

51. Ragnarthegreat says:

**************

Finally! Someone who gets it. The NFL contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. The owners can do anything they want. So what if the player is under contract? Let’s put him up on the trading block and see what we can get for him. The players have no leverage other than to hold out. His veteran presence, laser focus, and ability to bring others up to his level of play make him worth a better contract and an extension. C’mon Hawks! Get it done.