Andrew Luck throws footballs at Colts practice

Getty Images

Colts coach Frank Reich wasn’t lying when he said quarterback Andrew Luck was “real close” to throwing actual footballs.

Today he did, though only to people very close to him.

Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star was like the guys who get video of Bigfoot, providing the footage of what was thought to the a mythical creature.

While that doesn’t seem like much, it’s the first time anyone has seen Luck throw a football since last October’s failed attempt to come back from shoulder surgery.

Luck is scheduled to talk to reporters after practice.

60 responses to “Andrew Luck throws footballs at Colts practice

1. Close as in physically nearby, or emotionally compatible? I have a feeling that both matter.

2. In other news I played wiffle ball with my nieces boys last weekend…it was a lot of fun. No reporters though.

3. He managed to throw a ball? Such things were said last year too (Indy Star, 12 Oct 2017), plus claims he threw a few 30yders in Aug 2017 too. Yet here we (still) are.

4. That’s it, after how many months of recovery? I would almost vote for Reggie Wayne as being more likely to play well in the NFL again.

5. Good for Andrew. The guy had so much potential. Hopefully he is able to make a full recovery. The league needs good QB’s. Best of luck – Luck!

6. Luck apparently threw about 10 passes, mostly to retired wideout Reggie Wayne, and they were all around 10 yards.

C’Mon man (C.C. voice). That’s not throwing! Again, shame on them for not trading up for a QB.

7. That’s ok, laugh and make your jokes now. When the regular season and playoffs roll around and he is healthy and playing behind an upgraded O-line, we will see who is laughing.

8. Luck is lightly throwing passes at practice. Meanwhile, Tannehill is running and playing at full speed during Dolphins practices. I wish someone in the media would kindly explain why they think Tannehill’s knee is the biggest concern when it comes to QB’s coming back from injury.

I think the comeback player of the year will come down to either of these two guys, if both can stay healthy. Last year showed how important both are to their teams when they had to go a full year without them. Two of the worst offenses in football. I’m a big Andrew Luck fan, I hope he stays healthy.

9. I so wish Elway could have convinced the Colts to trade him when his future was in doubt. Luck, when healthy, is one of the most dynamic QB’s in the league.

10. He’s done. Passing on a QB in the 1at round of this draft will go down as a
    Call as stupid as when the Cardinals passed on Derek Carr.

11. I’m not all that optimistic at this point but hopefully this is a positive first step back for him. Crossing my fingers.

12. mbara33 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 2:51 pm
    He’s done. Passing on a QB in the 1at round of this draft will go down as a
    Call as stupid as when the Cardinals passed on Derek Carr.

————

Why? Other than seriously impacting his team’s salary cap, what has Derek Carr accomplished?

13. I must confess that I was wrong here; because I honestly thought he’d never play again. I stand corrected, and good luck Mr. Luck.

14. Ill give credit where its due, I did not think he was even going to be doing even short tosses until after camp startsposdibly after season starts, so he is proving me wrong. I still think he is a long way from being ready for the season and still suspect he is done. But what the heck, if he proves me wrong thats great.

15. @nhpats

“ he threw 10 balls and 5 were intercepted”…….who do you think he is Yak Prescott ?????

16. He threw them to unicorns running slant routes and leprechauns running 9s, right?

SO no, this is not true.

It’s been so long- Pix or it didn’t happen!

17. longislandcowboysfan33 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 1:56 pm

——————

Why do you have to trade up to get a quarterback? Why can’t you just draft one, trade back, or sign a free agent?

18. Patrick says:
    June 12, 2018 at 2:58 pm
    Sounds like a perfect fit for the New England asterisks’ system
    ——————————————–
    Oooooooo…nice one! Yes, he would be a perfect BB reclamation project after Brady retires. The Colts cut him or trade BB for a bag of doughnuts. Then Luck goes on to win multiple SBs in New England.

19. longislandcowboysfan33 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 1:56 pm

______________________
    Why in the hell would they trade up after trading down?
    #LearnFootball

20. sbchampsagain says:
    June 12, 2018 at 3:07 pm
    It’s been so long- Pix or it didn’t happen!
    ___________________________
    You’re not to familiar with the interwebs, are ya…….
    The red text in the article (if you even read it) is a link that will take you to a video….which is even better than “pix”.

21. mbara33 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 2:51 pm
    He’s done. Passing on a QB in the 1at round of this draft will go down as a
    Call as stupid as when the Cardinals passed on Derek Carr.
    _________________________________________________________________-

Arizona passed on Derek Carr because they had an All-Pro QB at the time, who went on to have an MVP Caliber season & earn All-Pro Honors in Carson Palmer. Arizona didnt draft him because they were in a Super-Bowl window, Arizona waited to take a QB and ended up with a much better QB prospect in Josh Rosen who will be a better NFL QB than Derek Carr is.

22. What he video doesn’t show is the 40 mph wind at his back.

All kidding aside, I hope he continues to improve and can play effectively this year.

23. mbara33 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 2:51 pm
    He’s done. Passing on a QB in the 1at round of this draft will go down as a
    Call as stupid as when the Cardinals passed on Derek Carr.
    _________________________________________________________________-

Arizona passed on Derek Carr because they had an All-Pro QB at the time, who went on to have an MVP Caliber season & earn All-Pro Honors after Carr was drafted in Carson Palmer. Arizona didnt draft him because they were in a Super-Bowl window, Arizona waited to take a QB and ended up with a much better QB prospect in Josh Rosen who will be a better NFL QB than Derek Carr is.

24. That’s ok, laugh and make your jokes now. When the regular season and playoffs roll around and he is healthy and playing behind an upgraded O-line, we will see who is laughing.
    _______________________________________________________
    Playoffs……you’re talking about, playoffs?? Playoffs?!

25. They should have made bad quality tape; making it seem like it was secretly taped and no one was to know. It would be more entertaining at least.

26. Every time I hear his name I can’t help thinking about the Wells investigation that mentioned that the Colts footballs were also underinflated in that AFC Championship game. At least he didn’t get suspended.

27. Not a Colts or Luck fan, but I highly recommend following the @CaptAndrewLuck Twitter account. I find it humorous as the tweets are written as if Luck was a captain in the Civil War as it relates to happenings of himself and the Colts.

28. Omg!!! He’s picked up THE DUKE!!?!?! Man, I’m no Indy fan, but I hope he returns to form and has a full, healthy season. Same goes for ANY star player coming off of injury. The league is just so much better when we have guys like Luck, Watson, Rodgers and JJ Watt out there balling out. If you disagree, you’re a hater.

29. packers291 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 3:09 pm
    longislandcowboysfan33 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 1:56 pm

——————

————————
    Honestly they can build on Brissette, and IMHO should be looking hard that way as possibly being a really good option. Brisette is still young and growing and looks a ways from hitting any cielings yet. If the Colts put the right pieces around them (and their more recent moves give the appearance they have gotten that clue) they might find Brisette is the answer they need to be a contender again.

30. 700levelvet says:
    June 12, 2018 at 1:46 pm

_________________

What this turd fails to mention is, how in spite of his best efforts, he struck out 10 times, on three consecutive pitches every time. 700levelloser

31. db105 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 3:51 pm

———-
    As soon as the NFL demanded that he must throw properly inflated footballs the poor kid’s should just couldn’t take it

32. I’ll believe that Luck is coming back once he plays in a real game. Everything the team is saying now is the same as last year.

Last year, the Colts were 100% sure that Luck would play…..until he didn’t.

And if he does come back, who is to say that he will be nearly as good as before?