Bradley Chubb on Shane Ray injury: I’ll be prepared to step up

AP

Broncos linebacker Shane Ray is headed for another round of wrist surgery that could affect his availability at the start of the regular season.

The Broncos have experience dealing with Ray’s absence after last year’s wrist trouble, but they have a much better option to fill the role across from Von Miller this season. Fifth-overall pick Bradley Chubb is on the roster now and showed some deference to his veteran teammate when discussing how Ray’s injury impacts him.

“I know Shane is going to do whatever it takes to get back as fast as he can and when he gets back, we’re going to definitely need him,” Chubb said, via the Denver Post. “If that causes me to have to step up and step into a certain role, I’ll be prepared.”

Part of Chubb’s preparation has been getting advice from DeMarcus Ware, something he said he will continue to do as he tries to fully grasp the transition from college to the Broncos.

Any change to Chubb’s role if Ray is out would likely come in the volume of work as the rookie wasn’t going to be on the bench all game under any circumstances. If he develops as hoped between now and September, a better question might become what kind of role Ray will have when he’s healthy enough to play again.

7 responses to “Bradley Chubb on Shane Ray injury: I’ll be prepared to step up

1. He is saying the right things but let’s be honest, Chubb will have to take a step back to fill Ray’s shoes.

2. jjackwagon says:
    June 12, 2018 at 9:26 am
    ————————————-
    To fill Rays shoes? What has Ray done? Rays play frustrates the hell out of me because he only looks for the sack. That man can’t set an edge to save his life. Runners always go by him. That’s why I like Barrett better because he contributes in the run game. He is more reliable. Ray has done nothing to prove he should be the starter. I expect Chubb to easily take his spot while Ray and Shaq play subs. I also expect Ray to be traded by deadline to be honest.

3. ^^I think that was his point.

Ray has value as a pass rusher, but as you said, all he does is rush the passer. And he’s good enough a pass rusher to neglect his edge setting responsibilities, ala Dwight Freeney. Barrett is a better linebacker overall. This is NOT to say that Ray does not have value, but he’s at best the third best edge rusher on Denver’s roster at the moment, and at worst the fourth best after Chubb.

4. murph2432 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 11:33 am
    jjackwagon says:
    June 12, 2018 at 9:26 am
    ————————————-
    __________________________

I take it reading comprehension isnt your suit, is it, Murph?

5. hawkkiller says:
    June 12, 2018 at 4:59 pm
    murph2432 says:
    June 12, 2018 at 11:33 am
    jjackwagon says:
    June 12, 2018 at 9:26 am
    ————————————-
    __________________________

I take it reading comprehension isnt your suit, is it, Murph?
    ——————————
    I misread it, I’m sorry. If only I was perfect like you. Maybe one day.