No season ticket waiting list in Washington

Getty Images

There once was a time when Washington boasted a season ticket waiting list of more than 200,000 fans. That was a time when the team was much more popular than it is today.

Today Washington acknowledged that there’s no wait for season tickets at all, and anyone who wants to buy season tickets is free to do so. Good seats are available.

That’s a bad sign for the franchise, especially considering that they’ve removed seats from FedEx Field and don’t even have as many season tickets to sell as they had in the past.

The team’s new chief operation officer, Brian Lafemina, said they are “taking a fresh look at every area of the business.” That should include team owner Dan Snyder looking in the mirror: He’s been running the show this whole time, while tens of thousands of fans have decided it’s a show they don’t want to watch.

63 responses to “No season ticket waiting list in Washington

1. The stadium is horrible, in a horrible location and too large. Once a new stadium is built hopefully in DC, this will change.

2. not a ‘skins fan but i remember their 80’s heyday – the hogs, riggins, darrell green, art monk, etc. fun to watch.

they’ve floundered in mediocrity ever since. and it’s finally caught up to them.

3. uh, yeah. the big waiting list was bull anyway. I live here, have many good friends who are fans. I know people who got season tickets during the time of this impossible list. Nonsense. It’s not a great field, ticket prices are way too high and most all the seats are in the weather, nevermind the parking nightmare. Also, I got tickets to games during this waiting list time and bought them from brokers at close to face value. whoever said these tickets were soooooo hard to get was making up stuff.

4. Prolly bc they stink, have a crap owner, and have a racist team moniker. Sssshhhhh, yes it is racist.

5. Cardinalsfan87 said

————
    Way to politicize the post.

6. It’s a crappy stadium with horrible post game traffic. The team hasn’t been a contender for 2+ decades. Their owner’s a jerk who wants public money to finance a new stadium. The TV/at home experience is so much better than it was even 5-10 years ago. Honestly, it’s kind of amazing it’s taken the team this long to lose the fans. As an Eagles fan I give their fans credit for sticking through this long.

7. It’s combination of a lack of winning and poor stadium. The former being most important. Under Allen and Gibbs, the Redskins were a winning organization.

8. cardinalsfan87 says:
    June 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm

***

So why are you bringing politics into it?

9. Here’s a hint, people also are sick and tired of sports being political and just want to show up and watch a game with no liberal agenda behind it.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Says the person who just did. Explain why many other Football teams still have waiting lists? The Redskins problem can be summed up in two words…Dan Snyder.

10. The Redskins have been mostly bad or mediocre with only three slightly better than average years (10 wins) since 1991 and yet the stadium has been sold out year after year. The Redskin fans are tremendous but costs matter. It has gotten too pricey to watch Redskin games that are almost always inconsequential.

11. How about bungling the QB situation for about 20 years.
    We’ve let go Trent Green goes on to become and all-star
    Brad Johnson lead team to SB
    Mismanaged Jason Campbell traded promptly leads miserable Raiders to winning record
    They sqander draft for RG3 who the coaches don’t want then get him injured
    Refused to pay Cousins then couldn’t afford him
    All while suing fans and raising prices

12. u guys really think if the skins had a new owner, thousands of fans would run and buy season tickets? seems far fetched to me

13. Be proud DC. People talk about not putting money in the NFL until it shapes up, you guys are doing it! Granted it’s easier when your team blows ,but still, props.

14. Honestly, its simple, Their owner believes he is a GM. Dan Snyder is a good owner, but doesn’t have the required skill set for personal and player evaluations which is required for GMS. Same story in Dallas, has doomed both teams to sub mediocrity. As a Die hard Eagles fan, I respect the Skins, I hope Snyder gets a clue and hires a GM, then we’ll have a harder time defending our Super Bowl.

15. Stadium is a dump and the team is a dumpster fire and if those weren’t bad enough. Organization is run by Beavis and Butt-Head. That’s 3 really good reasons to stay at home. Poor fans have suffered enough and now they’re speaking with their wallets. At least the Caps finally came through for all of D.C and have them all something to really be proud of.

16. One road in, one road out. Game “day” stretches about that long, and for that product.

17. This is just the beginning, sure some teams won’t have a problem with ticket sales but other NFL franchises will in the near future.

18. the cowboys and d.c. have the two most delusional fanbases. in dallas’ case, they have had enough teaser seasons to keep the deluded paying at the gate. in d.c., they haven’t even had that…

you can’t even remember all the bad deals from haynesworth to rg3 to archuleta to fred smoot twice etc etc since the midget became owner.

19. Man the players don’t want to hear it but they need to practice more, injuries aren’t down to me they seem to be up, but the play on the field from week 1-5 is pretty bad for most teams there are a few outliers but only a few. The product isn’t as good as it was ,and I hate to say it but taking the big hit out of the game also has affected their bottom line. YOU never heard about viewership etc down until they softened the game this was well before Kaep, we are violent by nature so they will have to adjust or turn back the clock which America seems to be obsessed with…. the 80’s sucked btw just here to remind you all.

20. Nobody wants to spend a fortune to watch a loser… IN ANY SPORT !!! Its not rocket science and NO I don’t want to watch the other players beat the hell out of my team.

Best Regards,
    Jags Fan trust me I know the feeling

21. Drove from Berryville Va to Fedex Field (87 miles) took 2 hrs 50 min to get there due to traffic. Never again! Not a surprise

22. I used to be on that list. For me it came down to the in-person experience vs the experience of watching games at home. Being there live isn’t nearly as attractive when you factor in the cost of tickets, parking, concessions, etc.. There’s also the time commitment of dealing with the drive and the traffic trying to get in and out of the stadium. Plus there is also the thousands of drunk, cursing, confrontational idiots who make it hard to want to bring your family to a game. Going to see an NFL game in person just isn’t an attractive proposition for me.

23. @mds – we seldom agree, however your last sentence hit the nail on the head. And let’s not forget they now have competition from the Caps and Nats who have both been a lot more fun to watch lately than the skins. Oh and both of their stadiums are actually in DC and Metro-accessible.

24. cardinalsfan87 says:
    June 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm

————

Speak for yourself. It’s because they suck. Ownership sucks. Winning teams don’t appear to be going through the same slump so obviously it’s just teams that can’t put a quality product on the field for fans to justify the amount of money spent per game.

25. As a skins fan from the 70s on I wish they’d move permanently to VA. DC area is a cesspool of negativity. All they do is whine about Dan Synder, the ‘Skins, the Standium, the team, etc. I can’t even stand to follow them on most of their websites.
    For me, the first move is to distance themselves from the cesspool. Move to VA (further south the better), shun the DC media and then you have franchise in a more positive light and something I’d show up to follow.

26. No liberal agenda? How about the “president” saying the players must stand & not demonstrate, that sounds more like a conservative agenda and I promise there’d be less fight back if that side actually listened to why the players are protesting instead of deciding it’s a slight to the military when it’s the furthest thing from it

27. danny boy is the cheap SOB who bought left over (stale) miller lite world cup beers and ridiculously stale disgusting peanuts for people who bought $10,000 dream seats. his cheapness and gouging of the fans have caught up with him. arent beers like $14? F HIM.

28. cfh666 says:
    June 13, 2018 at 6:00 pm
    ======================================================================
    I live in Fairfax and it’s a good two hour drive. That year of Snowmageadon, I went to the Ravens game v CHI and had no issues with traffic OR parking. I went to the NYG V Skins game on a Monday night and it took me 4+ hours to get there, the platinum parking was non-existent. We made it there by halftime, went up to the box, got a beer and some food and left. Horrible excuse of a game.

29. Its because of their half a man owner Danny Boy Snyder. He puts out a bad product then over charges for tickets, parking, beer, and lousy free agents. Who can forget Fat Albert who stole 100m?

30. rainsarge says:
    June 13, 2018 at 5:07 pm
    How about bungling the QB situation for about 20 years.

***

Good point. Plus if you go back another 10 years they let go of future MVP Rich Gannon, who played in a Super Bowl, plus Stan Humphries, who wasn’t great but also played in Super Bowl. Their ex QBs go to the Super Bowl way more than they do.

31. No one wants to pay high prices and be inconvenienced to watch their team lose. Win, and the bandwagon will fill up.

32. “Here’s a hint, people also are sick and tired of sports being political and just want to show up and watch a game with no liberal agenda behind it.”

Nonsense. What’s your agenda?

33. I bet old timers never thought it could get worse than Kent-Cooke. Oh yeah buddy, so much worse.

If the Cowboys are the most mediocre franchise in sports with their .500 record for 20 years, what does that make Washington with their inability to put together back to back winning seasons until the one good move Snyder has ever made, bringing Scott McCloughan on board? No fear, one of his worst moves, Bruce Allen, made sure he cancelled him out quickly and pushed him out of town in warp speed.

34. erinrodgersreachednirvana says:
    June 13, 2018 at 4:52 pm
    “Once a new stadium is built hopefully in DC”

LOL. You must not be from that area. You think the location will be better if it’s in DC proper? You think it’s hard to get to NOW?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ugh, the former stadium was in DC….duh.

35. I think the number of people going to games is going to drop league wide. TV’s are getting better and the cost to take your family to a typical NFL is outrageous. Add in the logistics of getting there and back and I think the NFL has problem on their hands.

36. It’s DC. Take out the politicians (who aren’t from D.C.), and it’s an extremely poor city. Has been for decades. Most like time residents of D.C. just can’t afford season tickets. The people that can afford it, and transient and aren’t Redskins fans. As long as they are good, having tickets is a status symbol, and there will be a list a mile long. If not, it’s no a status symbol, and it will be an empty stadium

37. I live in Arlington just outside of DC. I’m a Raider fan and huge NFL fan. I will be here a few years. I’m not certain I want to support the NFL again. Cancelled NFL ticket after 20 years and won’t purchase anything again until I am certain I want to support them with my money. Until then I will watch when I don’t have something better to do. I didn’t watch much at all last year. I was not happy with the protest and that is what caused me to cancel everything NFL. That really isn’t what kept me away though. What made me stay away was how horrible the Raiders were. So i’m with most of everyone else.. it’s a combination of things that keeps fans away. Mainly quality of play.. The other is an annoyance but really just background noise. At least for me.

38. This was apparent last year when vikings fand took over their stadium. It was louder when the skins were on offense from the vikes crowd noise.

39. cardinalsfan87 says:
    June 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm

342 346 Rate This

I’m not disagreeing with this, but I do want to point out that fans don’t necessarily want to see ANY political agenda at play. Liberal OR Conservative. Keep it off of the field and out of the broadcasts. Let us just watch sports and be happy.

40. When a too fragile to play WR turned QB gets drafted #2 overall, that was the moment the owner should have ripped apart his front office. That mirage first year of RG3 really hurt the franchise for years. Would have been better off crashing and burning during pre-season.

41. Christopher Pacell says:
    June 13, 2018 at 5:18 pm

*******************************************

I don’t see how he can be a good owner of he insists on doing…anything, really. What does he do that makes him a good owner?

Owning is a passive action. Paul Allen, for example, does nothing. At all. Ever. He just, owns. Shows up to games, signs checks. No addressing the media, no feuding with other owners or the league, no inserting himself in the draft or free agent process.

To me, doing anything other than just existing as a name on a paper and a body/face in a luxury box on Sundays, constitutes a bad owner

42. It would be interesting to know how many other teams are in the same situation. My guess is with high definition big scteen TVs all the rage, the idea of spending a small fortune on tickets and having eight entire autumn Sundays taken up with traveling back and forth is less popular than ever. Not a surprise.

43. first off the ticket prices are too high
    secondly parking is almost as high as the tickets
    next would be the concession stands where you need to take out a loan
    to pay for the food-and the beer is almost as high as buying a keg
    crowd control is a disaster getting in and out of the stadium
    and on big gamedays such as Dallas the escalators are turned off to keep from
    overloading just because they wont hire someone to stand there and monitor it

Daniel Snyder is so cheap he bought out of date peanuts from a now defunct airline to sell to
    fans at a ridiculous price just to make some profit…the fans of Washington deserve better

44. cardinalsfan87 says:
    June 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm
    ——–
    You see what you did there right? You are very much implying that people are fine with watching the game with the conservative agenda behind it.

How about they both stay out and both sides leave us alone.

45. For the past 20 years people are making their own TV networks on social media. They are the stars. They control the content. That’s the way we seem to be headed weather we like it or not. Many of us are still grasping for how things use to be because that makes us feel comfortable. It’s not so much that we loved the networks. That’s what we are use to.

Doing a quick head count of my office. 5 out of the 7 of us have unplugged. Not one of us unplugged due to anthem protests. With each of us it came down to money. $15 dollars for Netflix (or hulu or both) or $120 (or more) for cable or satellite. Personal economics.

46. I would be curious if any other teams are seeing less demand for tickets. I think the NFL is losing fans. TV ratings are down. I know I am watching much less than I used to. I don’t want politics mixed with sports.