Vikings plan a team approach to anthem

Getty Images

In more than three weeks since the NFL enacted a new anthem policy that managed to cause more problems than it solved, teams and owners and league officials generally have managed to keep their heads low and their mouths shut on the topic.

For the Vikings, the subject became unavoidable on Friday, because the team publicly cut the ribbon on its swanky new training facility.

Via the Minneapolis Star Tribune, owner Mark Wilf expressed support for the new anthem policy, and he explained that the organization remains on the same page.

“Whatever we do, we’re going to do as a team,” Mark Wilf said. “That involves working on social justice issues, hearing from the players and really partnering with them. We’ve been in the process of having those conversations to do some great things in the community as they have done for many years, but more focused on some of the social justice issues that are of concern to them. We look forward to advancing some of the great things we do in the community.”

The inescapable message is that the Vikings will stand for the anthem as a team. Reinforcing that message are recent comments from coach Mike Zimmer, who (as he usually does) made his position clear.

“Our players are very respectful — and our ownership, our organization, our franchise — of the military and what that flag means,” Wilf said Friday. “I can tell you as a son of immigrants I think it’s very important for our ownership. I think we all understand that. We’re in a good place on all this and we just look forward to really working together.”

Immigrants or not, the core of the debate continues to be whether conscientious player protests during the anthem aimed at bringing attention to legitimate societal concerns constitute disrespect of the flag, the anthem, or the military. Friday’s remarks make it clear where the Vikings stand as an organization. Come September, the question will be whether any of the 53 players on the roster feel comfortable bucking the internal position on the issue by staying in the locker room or by daring to defy the new policy.

Assuming, of course, that the new policy hasn’t been overturned by then, either by an arbitrator or by a judge.

88 responses to “Vikings plan a team approach to anthem

1. “I think it’s important we stand for the anthem,” Zimmer said at the time. “A lot of people have died for that flag. That flag represents our country and what we stand for.”
    ——–
    And there it is. You can’t say it any clearer or be more to the point. This is how us really Americans feel. You stand for the flag. No if’s, ands or buts about it. And you have no argument that will justify not standing. None at all.

2. “I think it’s important we stand for the anthem,” Zimmer said at the time. “A lot of people have died for that flag. That flag represents our country and what we stand for.”

That’s what true leadership looks like. Besides, if any player decided to kneel they wouldn’t have to answer to Zim, they’d have to answer to Bud Grant.

3. “Whatever we do, we’re going to do as a team,” Mark Wilf said. “That involves working on social justice issues.

4. A wise approach by the Vikes: Blend the disparate viewpoints of the members of the organization into a coherent plan of action that can be advanced.

“policy hasn’t been overturned by then, either by an arbitrator or by a judge.”

I suggest that, since there are surely attorneys on your staff, that they “pro bono” file a suit contesting and attempting to overturn the policy. Give us updates on the progression of that lawsuit, all the way to the Supreme Court; where it will certainly end up.

I suggest you start in the 9th district, perhaps with the 49ers as the aggrieved party.

5. fumblenuts says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:40 am

/////////////////////////

I agree 100%, except for the part of saying Wilf should go out into the community. The players are doing this to raise awareness not the owners. What have the players like Malcom Butler and Michael Bennett done for the communities. They are the biggest blowhards but yet have done nothing to help with the problem they are kneeling for, whatever that is.

6. niners816 says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:19 am
    ——–

—-

I bet you stand at attention whenever you hear the Star Spangled Banner, and relish in that third verse, where it mentions slaves.

7. Great news to hear!! Sounds like Wilf and Jerry Jones, are on the same page about this issue. Go Vikes and Go Cowboys 🙂

8. My family has members that have fought for this country. Those family members have told me they fight for freedom and liberty for all. If freedom and liberty aren’t given well then the flag doesn’t represent what it stands for anymore.

9. Lutefiskisfattening says:
    June 16, 2018 at 12:04 pm
    niners816 says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:19 am
    ——–

—-

——–
    I stand at attention through it all. I will stand for what happened in our past, our present and our future..the good and the bad. All of that allowed me to be free, just as it has you. So you’re absolutely right I stand, and I, along with the millions of others will keep honoring the flag.

10. fumblenuts says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:40 am

____________

Vikings players, coaches, and management do all kinds of good things for the community in terms of charities, foundations, and appearances. They give their time, not just their money. Dennis Green started “Community Tuesday,” where team members go out in the community and give their time to different projects and such. That tradition has continued for 25 years. I’m sure most NFL teams do something similar and have very charitable players, just like the Vikings. If you aren’t seeing NFL players doing something in the community, you aren’t looking.

11. The Vikings had their troubles in the past but this is one of the best organizations in the NFL now, led by the Wilfs, Spielman, Zimmer, and Kevin Warren. They aren’t going to let this anthem issue distract them from their mission so they’re proactively determining how it will be handled in a way that the team can get behind. I was happy to see that no Vikings kneeled last year and that they’re apparently not going to kneel this year. There are much better ways to get a message out than doing something so divisive.

12. I would like to see you and the team go out in the communities and actually do SOMETHING and be involved with actual people……
    ——-
    You don’t think football players do good things for their communities? Or do you mean the Vikings specifically?

13. I sometimes wonder if this anthem issue would be as big of a deal as it is if it were white players kneeling….

14. flviking says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:57 am

———————–

Not a fan of the Bennetts as they can be very phony (Michael’s Vegas PD issue, Marty’s phony injury in GB that was magically healed when he no longer had to catch passes from Brett Hundley) but they are both very active in charity work. Seemingly sincere and not one of those pension scams like Mike Vick’s old “foundation.”

15. “That’s what true leadership looks like”.

No, it is not. True leadership acknowledges the issue of police abuse of African-Americans, which is the purpose of the protest. Have you seen Zimmer speak one word about those atrocities?

Forcing people to pay homage to a nationalistic entity is true despotism, not patriotism.

16. I am Canadian. I stand for any anthem just the same and couldn’t agree more with Coach Zimmer. People gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and anything other than standing and removing your cap is unacceptable.

By all means stand up for what you believe in, but during that brief moment I think it best to respect the moment.

17. Lutefiskisfattening says:
    June 16, 2018 at 12:04 pm

———————————————

The song was written the morning after the battle of Fort McHenry in the war of 1812. The British used mercenaries and runaway slaves to help them fight. Our country’s history has its messy spots but it’s wrong to erase it or close your eyes to it. What we became and what we did for this world has to be celebrated. America is a miracle and you have stop and think where we would be if none of it, the good and the bad, never happened. That’s why I stand.

18. As a liberal and a military member, I do not feel disrespected by the kneeling and I understand the struggles of black people and other minorities in our country. I also respect the rights of a business to establish policies. The Metro area has always been liberal and progressive, and will continue to be. But when it comes to this anthem issue, I believe it is important for a team to be united. The Vikings have not had a player kneel and I am glad they have a clear policy. The last thing a team needs is a circus like what they have in Seattle.

19. “The core of the debate continues to be whether conscientious player protests during the anthem aimed at bringing attention to legitimate societal concerns constitute disrespect of the flag, the anthem, or the military.”
    ———-

Apparently the people who debate whether the action is disrespectful have never heard Colin Kaepernick’s explanation of his action: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

20. cardinealsfan20 says:
    June 16, 2018 at 12:57 pm
    “That’s what true leadership looks like”.

**************
    Studies conducted on Police Use of Force have shown that force is used against African Americans and White people at a similar rate. A Harvard study has found that unarmed white men are more likely to be shot by Police than unarmed Black men. Large Metro Department (DC, Dallas, Houston and others) have instituted Body Camera Policies. The frequency of Use of Force incidents has remained the same. The number of Complaints against against Officers has remained the same. The body camera footage substantiated 4.8% of all of the complaints. Meaning 95% of all complaints of Police Misconduct were either fabricated, disproven or not a violation of law or policy.in other words, when you hear someone complain about what a Cop did, there is a 95% chance the Police either didn’t do what they’re accused of or their actions were legally acceptable. This was a Harvard study, conducted by a Black Professor who admittedly was shocked and disappointed in his findings.

21. I truly hope the networks are smart enough to not show these “ protests” and just skip right to the game. The minute i see one zap, offmgoes the game

22. The body camera footage substantiated 4.8% of all of the complaints. Meaning 95% of all complaints of Police Misconduct were either fabricated, disproven or not a violation of law or policy.

********************

Ah yes. The old “we have investigated ourselves and have determined that we are we are completely innocent” routine. It’s adorable that some people still actually buy that line.

23. filthymcnasty3 says:
    June 16, 2018 at 1:21 pm
    Nothing says patriotism quite like forced mandatory acts of respect.

All the great tyrants in history did the same thing.
    ———————————

You should call your boss a tyrant for making you say “Hi, welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?”

24. If your here to play football … play football. Anything other than football.. Do it on your own time.

25. uncommon1 says – “95% of all complaints were…not a violation of law or policy….their actions were legally acceptable”.

That is the result you are going to get when the policy and law favors the police in these situations. Changing those policies and laws is part of the issue.

However, let us accept your study as 100% accurate. What you are telling us is that you are OK with 4.8% of those encounters resulting in abuse of whites or African-Americans. You may enjoy living in a police state, some of the rest of us prefer our rights to life and liberty.

26. I find most of this argument odd. I have always stood for the flag and I’ve always stood for the anthem my entire life…..and, I intend to keep doing so.

However, I also understand exactly what this country is supposed to be all about. So, I also support anyone’s decision to not stand. This doesn’t mean that I want to go sit with that person and share a few beers…as I most likely wouldn’t care to associate with someone like that. But, I don’t get to dictate someone’s actions in those situations any more than anybody else…..get over it

27. If you DON’T do the crime, you won’t do the time. Obey the laws, comply with the police and don’t run. Pretty simple. If everyone, black or white, followed those 3 steps, we wouldn’t be having these “social justice issues” and this kneeling stuff never would have happened.

28. 15412pack says:
    June 16, 2018 at 12:55 pm
    flviking says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:57 am

———————–

/////////////////////////

My bad, I meant Malcom Jenkins not Butler. Yes Bennett and Jenkins both have charitable foundations. Both are helping to feed the needy, but this kneeling thing is not about feeding the needy, kneeling I think is about police injustices against African Americans. What I am saying is come up with a plan to prevent the injustices. Start a foundation to equip all police officers with body cams. If JJ Watt can raise millions for the Houston residents, these football players can put something together to pay for cameras. Will that help? Maybe. But just kneeling will not help.

29. It’s sounding more and more like the players are blackmailing the owners for private welfare. I think everybody should stand for the anthem. The hero worship for the military though is getting a little much. Similar to what happened during and after Vietnam, the pendulum has swung way too far. Every guy who’s stood and checked IDs at the mess hall is being treated like a hero and is lookin. We’ve lost the meaning of the word. The NFL tried to capitalize on it AND the military services paid to use the NFL to support the idea of the military being infallible heroes back around 2010. They kind of both deserve each other in this regard. No disrespect to military personneel, but the media and powers that be in this age of manipulating mind share need to be viewed with a more critical eye.

30. cardinealsfan20 says:
    June 16, 2018 at 12:57 pm
    “That’s what true leadership looks like”.

—————————————

Anyone that can’t spell Cardinal has no credibility.

31. It’s a continuation of the Viking’s tradition, last year they stunk it up in Philadelphia as a team and this year they will continue to do everything as a team. Except for those players arrested, that they will do as individual members of a team.

32. I’m more concerned about our history of sending troops to the battlefield in wars for corporate profit (think oil) than I am about a few people choosing to kneel as an act of peaceful protest. Staged patriotism doesn’t impress me.

33. When you’re on the clock ( I believe a player is on the clock when they arrive at the stadium to play the game until they leave the stadium after the game) you follow the rules. If you don’t like the rules, find a different line of work.

34. uncommon1 says – “95% of all complaints were…not a violation of law or policy….their actions were legally acceptable”.

**********
    Not surprising, you misunderstood what you read. This was a study conducted by a Harvard Professor. Of the 100,000+ calls the Police responded too, there were approximately 750 complaints. The black, Harvard Professor viewed body camera footage of each complaint and found that only 4.8% of the complaints were legitimate. Less than. .01% pf Police calls result in a complaint of Officer Misconduct. Of that.01%, less than 5% were true or accurate according to the Harvard Law Professor. When people say “Cops do a good job 99% of the time” it isn’t just hyperbole. It’s statistically accurate. There are literally millions of Calls for Service each day in the USA. People claim Police Brutality is rampant, yet 95% of the time they’ve lied or didn’t understand that Police have a legal obligation to uphold the law and will use force when necessary.

35. They are a world class organization and the Wilfs are highly thought of around the league among all owners and CEOs from top to bottom from coaching to management and are a blueprint of how to properly run an organization. This statement on the issue is another example of how they do things the right way.

I personally view it as you stand or get out – you’re not going to change anything demonstrating at a football game even if I do actually agree with your right to freedom of speech but during the national anthem for people that died for your right to exist is not the place. I also agree these police that get away with murder should be held accountable, but go ahead and call me racist for wanting players to stand for our flag.

Whatever your stance is on the anthem issue. This was the proper way to address this issue and I applaud their decision to handle it as a team together and not divided.

36. I agree with Zim, and everyone obviously has their anthem take; however, the point here is that Zim and the Vikes aren’t making it a controversial issue.

37. When is anyone ever going to address the elephant in the room. The problem is rampant crime and violence in these inner city communities. Police officers only trying to do their best, many times with a split second to make a decision. They are not “targeting and oppressing minorities”. What about the law abiding black citizens in these communities that depend on law enforcement to protect them? When will Kaepernick acknowledge that Blaine Gabbert started this whole thing, and when will he address the elephant in the room?

38. It so funny how people talk about the American Flag. Is it the one that’s on a pole or the one that the young lady is wearing as a halter top or how about the beer holder one or the beach towel or shorts, tee shirts, hats or the rag that Kid Rock wears? Yea, it’s all about the flag.

39. cardinealsfan20 says:
    June 16, 2018 at 2:58 pm
    “Anyone that can’t spell Cardinal has no credibility”.

The same can be said for someone who strings together words without spaces.
    ————————————

LOL!! #cardinealsfan20

40. When it gets to the point of the anthem being such an excruciatingly painful exercise that the tv feeds break to antacid commercials rather than show the anthem, we should be able to figure out this made up controversy is too dumb to care about. Seriously, what’s next, Trump demanding the flag’s red stripes be changed to orange stripes to match his Cheeto complexion? I’m sure a lot of “real patriots” would go along with that, too. How silly can we get, people?

41. I’m a Viking fan. I don’t care if the team kneels, stays in the locker room, or stands for the anthem–but whatever they do, they need to be united and do it together as a team. That’s what unity is all about. Come together, act together, be together, win together. Skol!

42. And yet, there exists a schism among the team’s stuffed animal population…..some want to kneel, others just want to be held and hugged.

43. So much to be proud of when you’re a Viking fan. World Class owners, management, coaches and players.

44. Easy solution. Eliminate the anthem from ALL sports outside of the Olympics. Problem solved.

45. What is the difference between “justice” and “social justice?” The former is getting what is deserved, so what is the latter? Sounds like it is getting more than that.

46. Goose-step to der Comrade Trump command, until everyone becomes a Stepford Patriot.

47. “the core of the debate continues to be whether conscientious player protests during the anthem aimed at bringing attention to legitimate societal concerns constitute disrespect of the flag, the anthem, or the military”

Protests are not be allowed at work. The NFL has the right to make that rule.
    Legitimate maybe half the time, the rest are lies, which is why so many people don’t care.
    What about the fans “legitimate” concerns?

48. Do other countries play their national anthems before sporting events being hosted on their own turf?

Also, kneeling isn’t a crime. But you know what is? Wearing the flag as clothing, and using it as bedding or drapery. It’s not supposed to be sat on the ground or carried horizontally either. As a veteran, none of you fake patriots impress me. A lot of you are against kneeling but breaking the law often.

49. NFL players could learn a lot from watching how World Cup players and fans act during a national anthem…

50. whynotjustadmitit says:
    June 16, 2018 at 9:44 pm

———————

Awesome post! I would give this 1,000 thumbs up if I could!!

51. I have always stood for the anthem and I’ll continue to, but Trump sycophants are in no position to speak to respect for the military and American norms.

They literally have NO room to speak on it at all.

52. raidermark says:
    A judge has no legal authority to overturn a private business’s code of conduct policy.
    ————–
    But a judge can tell the business that their code of conduct is in violation of the legal contract they entered with their business partners.

Zimmer is wrong. No one died for the flag. Service members swear an oath to defend the Constitution. If they die, they die defending the Constitution.

Pat Tillman died defending the Constitution. He didn’t like Bush Jr. and wouldn’t have liked Trump. He wasn’t a fan of jingoism and probably didn’t like the Pledge of allegiance (Tillman was an atheist). But Pat Tillman loved America.

53. whynotjustadmitit says:
    June 16, 2018 at 9:44 pm

***************************

Recently I was at a bar here in Shanghai watching State of Origin game one, it is a 3-game series every year which us basically an NRL all-star game but based on where the players came from, Queensland vs New South Wales. It’s one of the great sporting events on this planet. Anyway, I was talking to a fan of the blues (New South Wales) and the subject of the NFL anthem controversy came up. He told me, with great pride and derision, that they don’t do something so silly as play their anthem before sporting events unless it is international competition. Then 5 minutes later the broadcast was showing the anthem being played before the game began. In your face, you dumb Aussie!

54. fumblenuts says:
    June 16, 2018 at 11:40 am

————————
    I saw on the news this morning that the McCourty brothers are working with local officials. Malcolm Jenkins moved his protest outside the Anthem (and away from when he was in unifirm representing his team for you ‘no protesting at wotk’ guys) and got an immediate response. What they did was separate from this anthem issue which like it or not does cloud the picture and instead got their points raised where they stood by themselves and could not get questioned over any side issues regarding their methods. And its working. I think more players need to realuze they are walling in the wring battle and to look at the example being set by those guys.

55. Could Vikings’ fans please expound on a bit on calling the Minnesota Vikings football team a “world class organization”? I’ve heard several Vikings’ fans refer to them as this on PFT, yet I don’t think I’ve heard any recent championship teams or teams with sustained playoff success over a period of time (of which the Vikings are neither) refer to their teams in this manner.

I don’t see the Vikings as a benchmark for a sports team either nationally and definitely not internationally, let alone organizations as a whole. They don’t have a rich or storied history like many other organizations. They haven’t reached any championship games in the last 40 years and they don’t have any recent period of sustained post-season success. They don’t have a national following like Dallas or Pittsburgh in football, or the Yankees or Cubs in baseball. Forbes has them ranked as the 18th most valuable franchise. They aren’t particularly popular overseas and aren’t even one of the more popular teams in Canada. They aren’t one of the leaders in merchandising. They really don’t seem to stand out over most other NFL organizations, save for a few.

It’s fair to say that they appear to be a well-run football organization, and that’s a fairly recent development.

56. Goose-step to der Comrade Trump command, until everyone becomes a Stepford Patriot.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Scary thing is… the uneducated masses will fall in line behind their new Fuhrer and do the goose step dance.

57. blameconservatives4everythingbad says:
    June 17, 2018 at 9:42 am
    The purple girl scout troop can work on their anthem policy while the Packers work on winning the North and ultimately the SB

/////////
    How can you win the North let alone a SB with 16 vets excused from OTAs?

58. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 16, 2018 at 10:45 pm
    Nazis goose stepped. Soviet’s were comrades. They are very different.
    //////////////////////////////

Velveeta. Come on. That’s not even close to being true. Do your homework. Shame on you.

59. NFL Employees protest our country during the National Anthem, yet stand proudly for other countries anthems, places they have no desire to live as their talents are not worth a cheeseburger in those countries. Keep the train wreck chugging NFL protesters!

60. blameconservatives4everythingbad says:
    June 17, 2018 at 9:42 am

////////////////////

Yet another packer fan winning the off season championship. Too funny.

61. Well, I certainly know what isn’t a well-run football organization, and that’s not a fairly recent development.

From ownership, coaching, management, player acquisition and development, facilities and the stadium they are a world class organization. For decades they were a complete joke from top to bottom. Those days are over. Forever. The only thing missing now is the hardware, but we’re close, we’re very close.

Your packers would be a dumpster fire if not for Rodgers… oh wait. Good job though making Capers the scapegoat and still employing Thompson while promoting his pigeon boy to GM. Your coaching staff is a complete joke, the roster is pathetic but somehow almost reaches the cap limit, and I dont understand how your ownership model with 48 board members even works. I’ll give you Lambeau Field though, but stop turning it into a ‘make your own stadium’ gimmick like something from Madden it’s becoming ridiculous.

62. The Minnesota Vikings have had a tradition of standing at attention during the anthem since Bud Grant took over.Bud had them practice this in training camp.Helmets on hips, this team approach is no surprise.

63. mybigthirdleg says:

June 16, 2018 at 12:00 pm

And we have a new challenger for the Eagles as the most annoying team in the world

———————

How are the Vikings an annoying team at all? Instead of being all political, and annoying like the Eagles about Trump and the anthem, they make a choice and do things as a team. In this case stand for the anthem, because it’s what your supposed to do.

The Wilfs are aware that there are social issues that need to be addressed and are willing to shell out money for causes so their players don’t have to kneel and protest the anthem. Nothing annoying about this. No nonsense, no kneeling, just football.

64. Frazier28/7 says:
    June 17, 2018 at 7:06 pm
    =====================================================================================================================Your wasting your words on me regarding the Packers. I’m a Bears’ fan and there is enough going on with their front office dysfunction. I don’t know how the whole Packers’ structure works- but they must be doing something right if they have won multiple championships over a long period of time with that structure in the smallest NFL community and one of its smallest marketplaces in all of sports.

When someone speaks of “world-class organizations” organizations like Apple, Coca-Cola, and Microsoft come to mind. Companies that have been the top in their field and often for a sustained period of time. The Vikings don’t fit in with those orgs, nor are they even one of the benchmark teams of the NFL. Even winning a Super Bowl next year wouldn’t suddenly make them a “world-class organization.

65. Do like they did in past years show commercials during the national anthem problem solved. This is completely out of hand and I blame the media and networks for this.

66. The Vikings attitude throughout the organization is first class. They had a team meeting, asked players that had concerns, addressed them within the team concept. They worked together as players, coaches, owners and are unified. Amazing what can happen if you just communicate with each other instead of taking the “look at me approach” and kneeling just to kneel because you want to be noticed and talked about.