Kirk Cousins working to find connection with his new receivers

AP

Kirk Cousins‘ connection with his new receivers is a work in progress.

The Vikings quarterback invited Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs to Atlanta in April for a throwing session before organized team activities. They continued to get to know each other during the team’s offseason program.

“It’s a process of saying, ‘Hey, this is the way I’ve done if for six years. You’ve done it a different way for five years. Let’s try to talk about why you’ve had success, why I’ve had success. Let’s find some middle ground; let’s decide whether I’m going to learn your way, you’re going to learn my way,'” Cousins said, via Courtney Cronin of ESPN. “That’s the process I’m talking about. Every route, every concept, really we could talk about each individual one. The best part of the whole thing is you know you have a chance when the communication is as healthy as it is.

“[Thielen is] receptive to listening; I can understand what he’s getting at. It’s the same with Stef. That’s where when I say I’m really excited about the locker room and the players I work with, it’s moments like that, where I feel really good about the communication, that they’re hearing you and you’re hearing them.”

Cousins has no firm plans to work with his receivers off site before training camp, but feeling “a little behind the eight ball,” he will stay in his playbook.

“I’m going to go back, I’ll make a list,” Cousins said. “Probably get on the phone with [offensive coordinator] coach [John] DeFilippo or [quarterbacks] coach [Kevin] Stefanski and email and just go through it all to get each question answered over the summer.”

50 responses to “Kirk Cousins working to find connection with his new receivers

1. Yeah… get used to hearing the word “Process” Vikings fans… While he keeps talking about the “Process” … Alex Smith will be lighting up the NFL at 4M less per season. I beg for the day the Redskins meet the Vikings in the Playoffs… BEG FOR IT!

2. skinsrock- the ball is in your court. The Vikings are a talented team and should be in the playoffs for the immediate future. Can’t say the same for the Washington team.

3. I’ll bet you do beg for any kind of success when your team is going nowhere like the deadskins. Enjoy your $4m cheaper QB and all the nothing he has to throw the ball to. Maybe call the capitals and see if ovie can catch the ball. Division standings by the end of the season 1)2018 super bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles 2) NYG 3)Dallas 4)deadskins.

4. skinsrock says:
    June 19, 2018 at 6:26 pm

__________

There are a lot of other things you’ll need to beg for before that day comes. First, you have to beg that the Redskins get some better players. You’ll need them after the dropoff at quarterback. Second, you’ll have to beg for a whole lot of injuries to the myriad of playoff-worthy NFC teams there are. Third, you’ll need to beg for the Redskins to actually make the playoffs. Fourth, you’ll have to beg for the Redskins to win in the wildcard round because the Vikings will most likely have a first-round bye.

If they do wind up facing each other, after the game I think you’re going to be wondering why you wasted so much time begging for all those things.

5. I too beg for the day that the Redskins meet the Vikings, in the playoffs. That Vikings defense will chew Washington up, and spit them out.

6. These receivers have had a different quarterback every year and all they do is produce so I don’t think they’ll have too much trouble getting on the same page with Cousins. Each of the last two years, they spent the whole offseason and most practice reps working with a guy who was gone by Week 2 and look at what they did. If Cousins can stay healthy (and he hasn’t missed a game yet) we could see a pretty impressive offense this year.

7. skinsrock says:
    June 19, 2018 at 6:26 pm
    —————————————

If I were you I would beg for Bruce Allen to get fired so you could start building a real team and not let your best players walk for nothing. The most inept front office I have ever seen and it won’t get better until he’s gone. Playoffs lol.

8. Save the effort , Kirk. Remember, always check down. When that’s not there, check down.

9. Well Cousins is a fairly smart guy… got great grades in college, even though it was at Michigan State, not exactly the MIT of the midwest. He’ll do fine with that team. For a while. Then he’ll throw a few INTs at crucial moments, and break your hearts. Good luck with him. You’re going to need it, although you won’t need as much luck as we will in D.C.
    My wife is a lifelong Redskins fan and still talks about the good old days of Gibbs and Riggins, etc. Wish her team could regain that kind of glory again, but I don’t see it happening as long as Allen and Snyder are there. Too bad. Sigh….

10. knew8411 says:
    June 19, 2018 at 6:50 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________

The Vikings barely beat a Redskins team that was decimated by injuries, 38-30. If the Vikings didn’t chew up the Redskins backups last season, I highly doubt they’ll chew up their starters.

11. What’s there to get on the page about? Real professionals do their job, regardless of feelings and for a lot less than 86 million.

Route says do X and the QB throws it to you at spot Y if the coverage does what they’re supposed to do.

You do X. That’s all there is to it. Seriously. All this BS about getting on the same page is because you coddle players and have low expectations of performance. Too much “well you tried” garbage.

Boss says you need to be to create a 10 slide presentation covering costs for Q1 – that’s what you do. You don’t worry about the “connection” you have with the guy getting you the data.

This is why NE is good – DO YOUR JOB, not BE BFFS AND GO TO POETRY NIGHT

12. normaneinstein7

Yeah the vikings did barely beat that Redskins team 38-30 last year…remind me, who was the quarterback of that redskins team? Is it possible the quarterback, who shall remain nameless, is the reason the Redskins stayed in that game?

13. novatim65 says:
    June 19, 2018 at 7:05 pm

________

Are you talking about the guy who has averaged 7.73 yards per attempt in his career? Do you realize that is 14th best all time and 5th among active quarterbacks? I don’t think he’s making a living by checking down.

14. skinsrock says:
    June 19, 2018 at 6:26 pm

—————————————————————-

Haters gonna hate

15. I seen Thielen & Diggs as exactly the kind of receivers that Cousins can work very well with. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few team records set this season in receiving.

16. Hey Redskins fans, your teams is just not very good. Stop equating your win/loss results with your talent starved roster to what Cousins will do with the Vikings. Your team wasted 3 straight 4,000 yard seasons with a poor surrounding cast. And good luck to you with Mr. Average this season. 2,500 yards passing to go with your mediocre roster puts you in the bottom third of the NFC.

17. So Kirk is doing exactly what every other starting qb in the league is doing. Working with their receivers. Great. He’s just more expensive than all the others. That’s the only difference.

18. MNfaninIL says:
    June 19, 2018 at 7:58 pm

———–

Is the NFL giving points for yards this season? I wish they would have last season as the Pats would have won the SB….

19. Cousins has put up over 4000 yards every year he has been a starter. It’s not his fault he didn’t have good players or coaches around him. Washington has been a train wreck since Shanahan and RG3 were brought in. For a QB to put up 4000 yards and 25 TD’s on average with that team is a miracle in itself.

Not only will he have stud players (Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Cook, and Murray) stud coaching (Zim, Flip, and Stefanski) at his disposal, he will finally have a defense that will keep a lead for him.

20. derp363 says:
    June 19, 2018 at 7:18 pm
    normaneinstein7

______________________

He had a solid game throwing, 325 yards passing 1 TD 1 int, most of his damage came running the ball at the goal line 4 att. 5 yards and 2 TDs, while he may have kept them in the game, he also hurt them buy not being as effective as he should be in the Red Zone, which is something he has struggled with, Wash. fans will tell you out, hell even Cousins will tell you it, but its not facts you all seem to care to hear.

21. normaneinstein7 says:
    June 19, 2018 at 7:06 pm

——————————————

You’re right, and the year before that the Redskins beat the Vikings. Zimmer and everyone else watched Cousins go up and down the field on one of the best defenses in the league and it was him alone on an island. Those two games are a big reason they went and got him.

22. uncommon1 says:
    June 19, 2018 at 11:18 am

Most QB’s have the benefit of multiple seasons (or at least 1 full season) before they’re tasked with being an Elite, Franchise leading QB. Lets have some realistic expectations for the guy
    ____________________________________

Most QBs start more than 7 games in a career before getting handed a 90 mil gur. 125 mil contract.

Its much more than the media, the 9ers treat him like an elite QB, and he signed for it. don’t feel bad for him or the 9ers.

23. Jeez, what is you guys’ problem? You hate a guy for landing a good contract? Is that all you got? I have no idea how he’ll do here this year. From what I’ve seen so far, he’s a self-deprecating guy, hard working, intelligent, a family guy, coachable and approachable. Not exactly a Manziel, Newton, or Terrell Owens type, yet he gets all sorts of hate and resentment.

What’s supposed to do, work for $10/hour? Yeah, I know, that would be over-paying him. Save your comic genius for another time.

24. Here’s a tip Kirk, when the rest of the team is running with their helmets on, put your helmet on. Seems like a little thing, but it’s tougher to run with your helmet on, and while your at it, stick a mouth guard in and get ready to play.

25. shaggytoodle says:
    June 19, 2018 at 8:18 pm

_______

He put up 30 points against the #1 defense in the NFL and you’re complaining that he wasn’t as effective in the red zone as he should have been?

From what I can tell, the Redskins were in the red zone four times and got two touchdowns and two field goals. I don’t know that you can expect much more than that against that defense.

26. @skinsrock THe Redskins will be looking for a new head coach at the end of next season. Remember the last QB Andy Reid unloaded on the Redskins and how that worked out? Alex Smith will suck this season with no one to throw to. Reed will play his 6 games.

27. They will win the division- Bears and Packers tied for second
    Lions and their criminal coach come in last

28. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    June 19, 2018 at 8:53 pm
    shaggytoodle says:
    June 19, 2018 at 8:18 pm

_______

______________________

They lost by the 8 points they didn’t put up when settling for FGs… he was outside of the he had the 27th “best” completion % im not saying they are gonna throw every time in the red zone, but that’s where QBs are SUPPOSE to make their money.

29. As a long time die hard Vikings fan, I am extremely worried about Cousins real commitment? He always … talks about himself and if you look at his twitter account he only talks about selling merchandise!! and money ,Again,I am concerned about his apparent look of ” All About Me Attitude ” and if it may rub the team the wrong way !! Has anyone else noticed this ???

30. If I were a Vikings fan, this article wouldn’t make me super confident…”behind the eight ball?” Sure, it takes a while to learn a playbook. He’s had three months and OTAs so far. But don’t tell the public you’re not comfortable, just say nothing.

IDK, all his, “I do it this way, you do it that way?” What does that even mean? You throw the ball to a spot. Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill. Practice, practice, practice will work it out.

It all sounds a bit like he’s trying to temper expectations. And his red zone efficiency…egads. That has a lot to do with processing quickly and fitting balls into tight spots. Not sure he can improve that a whole lot. I’m glad the Broncos signed Case instead of Cousins. At least he projects confidence. And costs a lot less, too.

31. Viking fan is just sticking up for their shiny new QB. No disagreement there. KC may do great there and then again, in a couple years us Skins fans can see how it went. Until then I don’t have anything negative to say about KC other than I hated the untimely picks he threw. When I was a kid my favorite QB was Tarkenton…..then Jergenson

32. bobdumon says:
    June 19, 2018 at 7:06 pm

****

We’ve had QB’s throw Int’s at crucial moments and break out hearts for at least the last 15 years. Cousins can’t do any worse.

33. truepurplefan says:
    June 19, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Are you referencing about the merchandise he sells online where the profits go towards charity?

34. Maybe Cousins will be great, maybe he’ll be average and maybe he’ll suck — I guess we’ll see. The difference is with this team as compared to several others, such as the teams in Washington and Wisconsin, is that he doesn’t have to carry the team for it to be successful. I could care less if he only throws for 3,000 yards and is average in the red zone if the team wins.

35. harril3 says:

********

If you were a Vikings fan you’d understand about the NFLPA and the extremely limited amount of pads-on practice teams are allowed. Factor in a new OC, new offense, and you can see why the coaches made Cousins drink from a fire hose at OTAs. My bet is Cousins rocks it this year.

36. The Vikings upgraded the slot with Kendall Wright over Jarius Wright and Treadwell, still only 23 years young is having a great camp thus far. Bucky Brooks has the Vikings rated as the best squad in the league and he will not only have one competent RB, but two in Cook and Murray, something he never had at Washington. Also, TE Rudolph had 8 td’s compared to 5 for TE’s Reed and Davis. Cousins will be much more efficient if he doesn’t just explode for a career year, 30 td’s, 5000 yards, 70% comp pct, 100+ passer rating are all within reach.

37. truepurplefan says:

####

Are you sure you’re not a “truegreenandgold” fan posting about Aaron Rodgers?

38. For the fans that are using the score 38-30 from last year you didn’t see that game. The Vikings were up big and Case threw a horrible pick to make it closer than it was. That and the Vikings were kicking FG’s in the red zone.