A.J. Green has Julio Jones’ back in quest for contract

Getty Images

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones has more receivers in his corner, other than Terrell Owens.

With Jones staying away from voluntary workouts and the mandatory minicamp while waiting for an adjustment to his contract, his peers have noticed.

Bengals wideout A.J. Green was stopped by a TMZ cameraman, and said he supported Jones.

“(He’s) got to do what he’s got to do, man,” Green said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “The NFL stands for ‘Not For Long,’ so you got to get it while it lasts.”

Both wideouts signed extensions in 2015, with Green getting a four-year, $60 million deal and Jones a five-year, $71 million pact. You could easily argue that both are underpaid in light of recent receiver deals, even though Green has two years left and Jones three.

And while Green hasn’t made much of a noise about a similar adjustment, he knows that a rising tide lifts all boats, so he wouldn’t mind seeing Jones’ float a little higher.

18 responses to “A.J. Green has Julio Jones’ back in quest for contract

1. Julio is making 14+ Million a year….. last year he cad pretty lousy stats….. fine him & let him sit/lose out
    I mean he just signed a 5 year deal 2 years ago…..

2. If you want to get paid based on current rates, sign one year contracts. Want long term security and up front money, sign the long term deal. Oh and Julio, you sucked in Fantasy Football last year.

3. NFL owners needs to hire most of you fans. Not only do you folks like to compare yourselves to NFL players but every time their is a question on salary, the player is always the villain. But the owner can do as they please while people say nothing.

I don’t care if the player is been greedy, I am all for players doing everything they can to get a raise because when NFL owners no longer see their value they will be tossed aside. Get your money when you can.

4. I don’t understand why players want contract extensions so early when they’re already making bank. I mean teams can pretty much cut you at any point anyway

5. I think I’ll quit going to work until my boss coughs up a pay raise to get me to come back…. I’ll just sit by the phone and wait for the call…

6. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    June 22, 2018 at 3:01 pm
    Do these spoiled men realize how greddy they sound to the average working man?
    —————-
    Be better at your job and you can dictate your payment terms with your employer more frequently.

7. The NFL has a hard salary cap – no spending extra for a year and paying a luxury tax.
    If you pay A more, you pay B less.
    B leaves and goes to another team and player C is cut.
    There are winners and losers, but the total salary amount paid is the same.

How much longer has Julio Jones got, a few more years? Then he can hang on as a 3rd WR? Either honor the contract you signed or sit out, and lose far more money than you will be able to recover in the few years left of your career.

8. >He’s got to feed his family!
    Then he should put in an application with Arthur Blank to work at Home Depot. The corporate offices are in Atlanta anyway.

9. kissbillsrings says:
    June 22, 2018 at 2:46 pm
    ——————————–

What is it with the “lousy stats” thing? Guy had over 1400 receiving yards. In what universe is that “lousy”?
    Not many TDs, but their offense isn’t designed that way.

10. I get the players make a lot of money. I get they sound greedy. However, I’d bet most here are capitalists. If true, who wouldn’t want to try to get the most for their skills. To the engineer making $95K, if what you do is worth $110K on the market, are you going to want the $110K? Doing so, you may seem greedy to the person making $10 per hour. It’s all relative, but in the end, these people, like it or not, have worked their butts off to be in the positions they’re in.

I do believe, though, that if you know the market for your skills is going to increase, why lock yourself in for five years? That, to me, is unreasonable.

11. He signed a team friendly contract so that the team could stay intact….. then stupid GM gives Ryan 30 mil…..a lot more than 14…..Falcons will be in cap hell next year…..team is on the way down unless the cap increases mucho next. Year
    If Ryan is worth 30 Hulio is worth 25 at least
    GM should have been fired the last time this happened

12. john baxter says:
    June 22, 2018 at 3:09 pm

———–
    If you’re going to call people out, you should probably ensure your spelling is correct when doing so.
    *Need, not “needs”
    *There, not “their”
    *Being, not “been”
    *Greedy, not “greddy”

13. imafool2014 says:
    June 22, 2018 at 6:54 pm
    john baxter says:
    June 22, 2018 at 3:09 pm

———–
    *Need, not “needs”
    *There, not “their”
    *Being, not “been”
    *Greedy, not “greddy”
    ——————–
    imafool2014, you’re correct on the grammar, john baxter is correct on the issue! I prefer a person be correct on the issue any day! I guess that’s why you call yourself “imafool”!