John Ross: Tough to have your desire questioned

AP

If one were looking for one word to sum up Bengals wide receiver John Ross‘ rookie season, pain wouldn’t be a bad one.

Ross was in pain because of shoulder and knee injuries that limited him to 17 snaps and the Bengals offense was pained to find a replacement for what they expected to get from their 2017 first-round pick. For Ross, there was also the pain of having people question his desire to play while he was injured.

“When people question the things that you desire when they don’t understand, it’s kind of tough on a player,” Ross said to Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn of Sirius XM NFL Radio. “Because you don’t understand why they would do something like that, because they just really don’t know what you’re going through. And I think that’s the problem sometimes, the fact that people don’t understand that you are dealing with something that’s traumatic to your career and they really can’t seem to feel the pain that you’re going through. So they really don’t understand.”

Ross was healthy and doing team drills this offseason, which is a change from last year that he and the Bengals hope will be the first of many differences after a painful 2017 season.

22 responses to “John Ross: Tough to have your desire questioned

1. Too soft, lacks toughness and will be an injury liability. He simply can’t play with grown men. Bad pick

2. The expectation of a 1st round wide receiver
    is picking a starting/contributing #1 wr or #2 wr.

John Ross has this season to prove who he is.

3. This is football where you are paid millions to do a job. Injuries suck and i can only imagine, but when will these guys learn noone really cares about your feelings nor do they care about mine. Stop worrying about it and perform. I will say he probably was just answering their question but its annoying to constantly hear these guys refer to the critics or haters, its passive aggressive behavior. Get off twitter and get in the playbook.

4. People forget that those numbers on an uniform conceal men. Playing through pain sucks, but it is expected. Playing through naming calling sucks, but it is expected. Telling people that it sucks is fine. I hope he uses it as motivation this year to show people what he can do. I hope he used it all off season to rehab harder so he could show those @#$%^&*( who belittled him. Perform this year and all of it will go away. Continue to whine and not perform then you will become known as a whiner.

5. His ceiling is Santana Moss, his floor is Peter Warrick. They were all first round picks, all 5’10”-5’11, and all ~190 lbs. Drafting Ross at 9 was reach, but Moss went at 16 so wasn’t too crazy – Assuming you’re not scared of his injury history (which maybe the Bengals should have been). Still, Ross needs to prove he can play this year or he’ll become Jerome Simpson 2.0 – All “potential” and no production.

6. toothfairyretributionmanifesto says:
    June 22, 2018 at 9:34 am
    I literally had more fantasy points than he did!

5 10 Rate This
    ******************************************************
    1 carry for -3 yards and a fumble.

7. Superbowl Caliber teams don’t draft WRs in the first round…they’re simply not worth it…they depend on their QB too much…don’t believe me??? Check Antonio Browns stats without HOF Ben Roethlisberger…

8. Working with Houshmanzadeh this off season will be a huge help. The number of touchdowns in college he put up per touches was mind boggling and watch the tape of him making Adoree Jackson of USC (and 1st round pick) look like a bad DB made him worthy of thie pick, but gotta be on the field to have an impact. We will see this year if the injuries are a fluke or a pattern.

9. vegaskid21 says:
    June 22, 2018 at 10:36 am

toothfairyretributionmanifesto says:
    June 22, 2018 at 9:34 am
    I literally had more fantasy points than he did!

5 10 Rate This
    ******************************************************
    1 carry for -3 yards and a fumble.

———

Actually, I believe he had gained 10 or 11 yards before coughing it up….

10. stillabengalsfan says:
    June 22, 2018 at 11:23 am
    vegaskid21 says:
    June 22, 2018 at 10:36 am

toothfairyretributionmanifesto says:
    June 22, 2018 at 9:34 am
    I literally had more fantasy points than he did!

5 10 Rate This
    ******************************************************
    1 carry for -3 yards and a fumble.

———

Actually, I believe he had gained 10 or 11 yards before coughing it up….
    ________________________________________________________________________
    Correct, which would put him at -1 point for the year and me at 0. So yes, I had more points and would’ve been a better fantasy selection.

11. I remember watching John Ross play against my CU Buffs and thinking my TV was somehow broken. He was so fast, he looked like a blur.

John Ross had all of the talent in the world coming out of college, it was the injuries that really scared me. If Ross can show some durability, I think he can be a good NFL player.

12. I love how people already want to call him a bust even though he was injured….yet the two wide receivers drafted before him had a whopping 45 catches for 470 yards combined and Williams was hurt almost the whole year too. Wide receivers typically take a couple years too develop anyway minus a couple freak wideouts like AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc.

13. This is the year to show them whether they are right or wrong. Only you can decide who’s gonna be right.
    Although your over paid, can’t believe he still had job head coach didn’t do you any favors by throwing you under the bus last year.

14. I never understood Marvin Lewis’ unwillingness to play rookies. He has always downplayed and pooped on his own rookies.

“Yes, let’s intentionally refuse to use the guys we just took in the draft who are faster than anyone else in the league. By the way, we are paying them millions.”

This makes about as much sense as buying a new car and letting it sit in the garage for the first year.

15. I think people need to lay off. Last year he had an injury that hampered him all year. He’s young, fast, and was a real good receiver in college. Fans need to give this kid a fresh start. It’s not like last years line would have given him time to truly perform anyway.

16. From what I hear even the Bengals are questioning his desire. Whose fault is that Mr. Ross?