Alex Smith: Jamison Crowder “so easy to read as a quarterback”

Getty Images

Alex Smith spent the last few months getting to know the receivers he’ll be working with in Washington this season and he came away with good feelings about what Jamison Crowder brings to the offense.

Smith praised Crowder’s instincts and vision on the field, which have helped him to 192 catches over his first three seasons in the league and should lead to quite a few more this season based on Smith’s read of the wideout.

“He’s so easy to read as a quarterback,” Smith said, via John Keim of ESPN.com. “Such great body control, body language. He sees defenses well and it’s hardest to do that in between the hashes. You get so many looks and leverages and you have to handle all those things. He’s decisive and he’s so friendly. He’s always coming back to the ball, always working for you. Those are things you know as a quarterback come crunch time that here’s a guy who will constantly work his tail off to get open. He wants the ball. You love that as a quarterback.”

The feeling is mutual — Crowder said Smith “knows how to see defenses, see different coverages” — and Crowder said he’s over a “frustrating” hamstring injury that limited him at times last season. If all of that continues through the summer, Crowder should be a busy man come the regular season.

21 responses to “Alex Smith: Jamison Crowder “so easy to read as a quarterback”

1. Crowder is clearly capable of getting open. Holding onto the ball is another story that is less easy to read.

2. nhpats says:
    June 24, 2018 at 12:53 pm
    The Chiefs will regret tossing Smith aside for Mahommes…
    ***************************************************
    You obviously didn’t watch many Chiefs games.

3. Unless Crowder is wide open, Alex Smith will throw it into the bleachers to avoid any chance of a blemish on his completion/interception stats. And that will still be the case on a final-play Hail Mary. Straight into the bleachers. It gets old fast.

4. Redskins, Saints in the NFC, Titans & Broncos in the AFC….

Ok, go ahead let me have it…however those of you who roasted me for picking Jacksonville last year; and you know who you are….cannot pile on without admitting that at up until about 7 minutes to go against the Pats, you were entertained.

5. As a former 47 year long fan of the Redskins, I have divorced this pathetic team and have nothing but contempt for Alex Smith – I hope he fails – I hope he is injured and placed on IR – and I want the entire coaching staff fired.

Smith has done nothing with all his years in the NFL and the Redskins expect him to take this sorry team to the playoffs? The OL can’t run or pass block; the defense is horrific – and the secondary is not improved at all over last year.

I hope this team goes winless. I want the Alex Smith debacle rubbed into the noses of all Cousins haters.

6. lebrickie says:
    June 24, 2018 at 4:07 pm
    ————————————————————————————
    Hoping he fails is acceptable. I constantly hope that rival teams and their players fail.
    But wishing an injury on a player is just plain pathetic. Grow up!

7. frodoftw7 says:

Well as a Raiders fan, I’m happy that he’s no longer in the AFC West, I’ll tell ya that.

————————————————————-
    Agreed – I would much rather face Mahomes, the unknown, than Smith. I know Smith killed the Raiders every stinkin year and never made a mistake..never. Redskins should have kept Kirk but they didn’t lose too much signing Smith.

8. Redskins coaches and fans happy to have Alex Smith. That tells you all you need to know about Kirk Cousins.

9. freefromwhatyouare says:
    June 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm

_____

Well, it tells YOU all YOU need to know because you’re incapable of an unbiased rational thought. You’re scared to death of what the Vikings might do to your precious Packers so you’re spending the summer dogging them in a pathetic attempt to control fate. Vikings coaches and fans are happy to have Kirk Cousins. Chiefs coaches and fans are happy to have Patrick Mahommes. All of it means nothing until the games are played. You’ll know all you need to know then, and I don’t think you’re going to like it.

10. Rob are you ok? This isn’t about Green Bay or Minnesota.

Why are you always so easily triggered?

I was speaking to what I have heard from a lot of Redskins fans and what coach Jay Gruden and his staff have said in the media.

11. Skins had to move on from Kirk. Elite $ for a QB that’s great in Qs 1-3, but not just bad but pathetic in Q4, where the big boys shine? Perhaps that will change this year, but smart $ says pass.

12. 700levelvet says:
    June 24, 2018 at 3:33 pm
    Both the Chiefs and Redskins will go 6-10 this year… it doesn’t matter.
    —————————–

Look at the chiefs division rivals. There are six easy wins for the Chiefs right there. Have you ever watched football before?

13. lebrickie says:
    June 24, 2018 at 4:07 pm

This is one of the most unbelievable posts I have ever read. If its true, I feel extremely sorry for this individual. Lots of angst and anger. I have been a skins for a little bit longer than her. I will never abandon them the way she has.