Anthony Barr on contract: It’s on Vikings and I’d like to get it done

Getty Images

Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr was looking for a new contract when the offseason got underway and nothing has changed as June comes to an end.

Barr is set to make $12.3 million in the fifth and final year of the deal he signed after the Vikings made him the ninth pick in the 2014 draft, but there haven’t been any signs that an extension is imminent. Barr told Nick Shook of NFL Media that he doesn’t feel there’s much more he can do to make his case for a new deal and that the next move belongs to the Vikings.

“I don’t really get into the numbers,” Barr said. “It’s more about feeling valued and respected than the actual dollar amount. They kind of go hand in hand, I suppose, but I love being in Minnesota and I love my teammates. I want to be there long term. I’ve felt I’ve worked really hard, improved from my first day there to where I am now. I think I’m a totally different football player. It’s not really up to me. I feel like all the work I’ve done so far, you’ve got to go off that. You can’t really go off what-ifs or this or that. Let the chips fall where they may. It’s not my decision; it’s on them, and I would like to get it.”

Barr has started all 58 games he’s played and has 283 tackles, 10.5 sacks and an interception over the course of his time with the Vikings. He’s played nearly every snap over the last two seasons, but the Vikings could ultimately opt to let Barr play out his deal with wide receiver Stefon Diggs, defensive end Danielle Hunter and others also looking for new deals in the near future.

47 responses to “Anthony Barr on contract: It’s on Vikings and I’d like to get it done

1. Yeah right, I’m sure if they offered him a 5 year deal at $5M/yr he’d jump right on it. It’s an entirely two way street based on the player demands and what a team is willing to pay. If he’s seeking salary levels of top rush OLBs (which isn’t his position nor does he have comparable stats), I’d be surprised if the Vikes bit, but if he’s seeking Kendricks-range LB money, then they probably will.

2. I want Diggs signed next…would like Barr and Hunter signed as well, but Barr probably the easiest to replace if we can’t afford all three…

3. 10.5 sacks in 4 years as a LB isn’t going to get premier money. Only LBs getting top dollar are rush LBs getting to the QB. Hunter should be higher on their list. Not saying they shouldn’t pay him, it’s just the way money goes in the NFL right now, if I had to choose one to retain it’s the DE who’s putting QBs on the ground.

4. Too late. They spend on Richardson and then Cousins. Could be the thing that sends them into a cap hell.

When you don’t pay your draft picks and cornerstones before FAs, look what happens. Look at Aaron Donald in LA.

Cap hell.

Take of your own first.

5. nflfollower says:
    June 25, 2018 at 4:57 pm

0 0 Rate This

——————–

LOL

MLBS don’t get sacks. They run the defense. Get a clue. Sack totals are the most overrated stat in the NFL, if not all of sports. Plenty of players get garbage time sacks or sacks against mediocre or weaker teams and then try to use that for negotiations, but good teams know better.

6. I would be pissed off too if the big FA signing was given the keys to the vault and everyone else on the team has more playoff successes in their careers.

7. I think between Barr, Diggs and Hunter….Barr is 3rd on that pecking order. If Barr played with a constant motor and constantly made splash plays, he could write his own check right now. But in between his splash plays, he disappears far too often. I don’t trust him once he gets paid. I think he’s got “coast” written all over him once the big signing bonus is in the bank.

8. tylawspick6 says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm
    Cap hell.
    Take of your own first.
    ________

Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Dion Lewis, Malcolm Butler, Amendola, Cooks, Logan Ryan,

“Take care of your own first” LOL…BB is notorious to not pay his own guys LMAO

Donte Hightower = Cap Hell

Barr is overated hes the Sammy Watkins of Defense.

9. ninefingers9 says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    Aaron Rodgers could learn a lesson in humility from Anthony. I mean he did teach him a different kind of lesson last year.
    ———————————
    Man – Vikings fans sure cant stop thinking about Aaron and the Pack. They even bring up the Packers in articles not about the Packers. Almost as if they are jealous or have a bit of a man crush thing going on. Who can blame them though.

On that note – Barr is overrated.

10. tylawspick6 says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:02 pm
    nflfollower says:
    June 25, 2018 at 4:57 pm

0 0 Rate This

——————–

LOL

____________________

Agreed. Putting pressure on the QB has become such an overrated strategy. (Eye Roll)

11. tylawspick6 says:

June 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Cap hell.

Take of your own first.

——

So according to you, it’s more important to simply pay any bum you drafted than a player that makes your team better? The way you get in cap hell is over paying a player simply because you drafted them. It’s not like Barr was undrafted free agent, looking for that first big contract. He’s a former top 10 pick that is making over 12 mil this year, probably twice what he is worth. He’s a nice player, but most people only know his name because he was the guy that took Rodgers out.

12. tylawspick6 says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm

_________

Richardson got a one-year, $8 million deal and the Vikings are $17 million under the cap.

13. Barr may be the most easily replaced but signing him might actually make it easier to sign the others. He’s playing under the fifth-year option this year and converting that salary to be part of a signing bonus would spread the cap hit out over multiple years. The space saved this year can be carried over into future years so that gives you more space even though you’re giving someone a big contract.

I don’t really understand that well how this all works, but Rob Brzezinski does. And he’s going to get all three of these guys signed.

14. lolnehomers says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:23 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm
    Cap hell.
    Take of your own first.
    ________

“Take care of your own first” LOL…BB is notorious to not pay his own guys LMAO

Donte Hightower = Cap Hell

Barr is overated hes the Sammy Watkins of Defense.

17 7 Rate This

——————

low iq alert!!

my goodness are you clueless

bb knows the market stone cold and does not overpay logan ryan, jamie collins, chandler jones and malcom butler. he just goes into the draft and replaces them.

should i post articles about the underrated trey flowers and some guy named cj jackson in camp right now channeling butler in 2014.

get it, kiddie?

the pats have never, ever been in cap hell

15. The Vikings could have had another $10M to spend if they had just signed Keemun instead of Cousins.

16. Tylaw

Nope. Wrong again. Most Viking starters are locked for at least the next two year. Richardson is a 1 year deal. Diggs will get signed. Barr or hunter will also get signed and the other will walk. The Vikings are sitting pretty with their cap for this year and next year. They just can sign any other free agents. They don’t need to. They have the team they want. Then after 2019 season, they’ll ask a bunch of veterans who are over the hill to take a pay cut or just let them walk. They are a team that’s basically set up to win it all this year and next year before they have to worry about their cap.

You’re just worried they Vikings are going to destroy your patriots offensive line and pound Brady into a puddle. There’s no other reason you would bother commenting on a Vikings thread, as the teams have zero history of a rivalry.

17. #44 overall LB. Just because you overspent with a top 10 pick to get him doesn’t mean you should overspend to keep him. He’s durable, but he’s not special.

Diggs and Hunter are simply better players (and more important to winning a SB), not to mention younger, so they still offer upside. They are the priorities.

18. Barr should talk to his own agent, that’s where the likely holdup is. No doubt he’s asking the Vikings for 3-4 OLB $ and the Vikings are offering 4-3 OLB $. Hunter is the most valuable of the 3. With Griffen getting up there he’s the heir apparent. I’d argue Barr is next. Diggs hasn’t been healthy a full season yet and his numbers just aren’t that great. He’s a good compliment and a great team player, but not worth top WR $ which is silly $ right now.

19. Hey, I think they should pay him. He played a huge role during their Super Bowl seasooohhhhh wait.
    lolololololololololololol
    Also…do you pay anyone that is a part of giving up a 38 burger in the playoffs?
    I sure as hell wouldn’t.

20. AJ green saying he’s satisfied playing out his deal. Barr saying he deserves to renegotiate instead of earning what most citizens of the US won’t see in their entire lifetime, for 1 season….who would you rather have?

Oh, but Barr fell on top of the player who has owned our team and division for the last 10 years, so by vikes fan”s logic, that makes him the MVP. How much does it suck to have a franchise that has never done anything in its 58 years of existence? 58 years….

21. Oh, but Barr fell on top of the player who has owned our team and division for the last 10 years, so by vikes fan”s logic, that makes him the MVP.
    =========
    Well… from 2010 to 2014, yeah, Rodgers kicked our butts. In 2015 they split.. same in 2016. Last year was when Barr fell on him. Prior to 2010 Rodgers was 1-3 vs Minnesota. So if you cherry pick those 5 years and don’t count the other 5… yeah ok.
    And I don’t know any, or have read any Viking fans saying Barr is last years team MVP.

22. 700levelvet says:
    June 25, 2018 at 5:32 pm
    38-7….. 12.3 million… Maybe you should get into the numbers.

***

Yeah, lets get into the numbers. Can you expand on whatever point you’re trying to make?

23. Lutefiskisfattening says:
    June 25, 2018 at 7:48 pm
    lolololololololololololol
    Also…do you pay anyone that is a part of giving up a 38 burger in the playoffs?
    I sure as hell wouldn’t.

***

Packers gave Nick Perry an extension after Falcons put up 34 against Packers in the 2016 Playoffs. I Guess 34 is less than 38 so that’s ok then right?

24. I want them to sign Diggs…Bar is extremely talented and I do think he is very key in this defense, but Diggs is a great WR, and that is a position the Vikings do not draft well at. They got lucky getting Diggs late in the draft. They could draft another LB who is good probably next year. Sign Diggs…take your pick of Hunter and Barr (I vote Hunter. DE is a more premium position in the NFL now a days.)…let the other Walk.

The Vikings are not in bad shape Cap wise…the are just being smart with it. They paid Kirk because they could afford to do so.

25. Remember when he tried to tackle super bowl champion Corey Clement and just got completely undressed? Remember that when he’s signing that massive extension, Viking fans, he got embarrassed by an undrafted rookie in the biggest spot of his career…skol that

26. Even if Barr gets a contract the Vikings will still have ZERO Championships!

ZERO.

27. redlikethepig says:

June 25, 2018 at 4:54 pm

The Vikes will have a tough cap situation next year too.
    ========================================================
    Vikes have 17 million left in cap space for this year.

As of now, they are projected to have 12 million for 2019. This does not take into consideration that the cap has been spiking by about 10 million a year….so say they have 20 million for next year. I don’t know I’d consider that ‘tough”.

Also, Griffen , Reiff, and Rudoplh will be candidates for restricting. Barr will have his annual salary lowered if he is signed.

Hope against hope that this team gets broken up all you want. I am not predicting a super bowl, but this team will be a contender for the foreseeable future….barring catastrophic injuries.

28. schmokes says:
    June 25, 2018 at 8:59 pm

_______

Barr isn’t trying to renegotiate his contract. This is the last year of his rookie deal. He’s saying he wants to stay here so would like to sign his next contract now rather than hit free agency after the season.

29. 13worldchampioinships says:
    June 25, 2018 at 11:33 pm

________

I just need to clean up an inaccuracy here. The Falcons scored 44 points against the Packers in 2016, not 34. Also, the Viking defense only gave up 31 points to the Eagles so we should be comparing the 44 to the 31. Also, the Eagles won the Super Bowl and the Falcons didn’t. All this is to say that the Packer defense is terrible and their fans are frauds.

30. They paid Kirk because they could afford to do so.
    _________

Correct. They thought he was the best qb choice available. Just like they did with Bradford two years ago after the Bridgewater injury. In both cases they paid top dollar.
    And Viking fans seem happy to do so. So I leave you to your fun…..

31. Lutefiskisfattening says:
    June 25, 2018 at 7:48 pm
    lolololololololololololol
    Also…do you pay anyone that is a part of giving up a 38 burger in the playoffs?
    I sure as hell wouldn’t.
    ———————-
    I have only three words for you Cheesy:
    September
    Sixteenth
    SKOL

32. Liberalsruineverything says:
    June 25, 2018 at 8:38 pm
    Wait until game 2. If he makes Erins clavicle explode again just give him what he wants.

Good point. After all, that is the only chance the Vikings will have to win the North again this season.