Report: “Person of interest” is Janoris Jenkins’ brother

Getty Images

Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins was in another state when a dead body was found in his home, but the first known person of interest in the case is someone he knows well.

According to TMZ, Bergen County, New Jersey officials want to talk to his brother William Jenkins about the case. Being a person of interest in the case is not the same as being a suspect.

“William Jenkins is a person of interest in relation to dead body case at his brother’s house. Bergen County wants to talk to him,” Ontario County (New York) district attorney James Ritts told TMZ.

William Jenkins was arrested in upstate New York yesterday, hours before authorities found the dead body of Roosevelt Rene in the home of the Giants cornerback.

59 responses to “Report: “Person of interest” is Janoris Jenkins’ brother

1. Arrested before they could even get his warrant out. Sounds like a charming young man.

2. When I was a detective we called them ‘suspects’. POI sounds better to a jury when the defense attorney likes to abuse the word ‘suspect’. Too many words to repeat over and over I guess. They love to keep asking about other ‘suspects’. POI is actually brilliant.

Although behind closed doors they are suspects. I can’t even imagine those words (POI) coming out of a Supervisor’s or co-worker’s mouth.

3. PS: Forgot to say POI is not a negative term. Neutral at best.

‘Suspect’ is a negative term. I really do think it would help at trials and also not contaminate the jury pool. People have no idea that tiny little things can sway a jury and it’s awful when you KNOW a guy killed someone and walked.

4. So apparently it WASNT Janoris. Wow, what a surprise. Giants haters all around the country are devastated. Thats what you get for jumping to moronic conclusions. Good for ya.

5. He was arrested hours before the body was discovered? Did the arresting officer have a copy of the next day’s newspaper?

6. It’s amazing how fast people jump to assume this young man committed murder, or that his brother did. If people actually read the information, Janoris’ brother was in upstate NY before the alleged murder, so it doesn’t seem likely he is the culprit. It doesn’t matter though, people see a black athlete and assume he’s a criminal.

What would the reaction have been if it was JJ Watt who was wanted for questioning because a body was found in his basement while he was thousands of miles away? My guess is that he won’t be ruthlessly mocked and presumed guilty before having any information whatsoever.

7. I swear the NFL more than any other major pro league always seems to have some sort of Law & Order drama going on. You could create a whole spinoff just using real life NFL drama. Law & Order: NFL edition.

8. And if you didn’t suspect J.J. Watt, but do suspect either of these young men, what do you think the statistics would show at the end. How many times would you have been wrong about Watt, and how many about these young dudes.

9. If people actually read, they would actually see that he was in upstate New York before the body was discovered, not necessarily before the alleged murder. Very, very big difference.

10. ValarMorghulis says:

June 27, 2018 at 2:17 pm

———————————
    While I agree with your post, a better way to prove your point would be to have an actual example of an NFL player having a dead body at his house.
    I don’t recall one at this time.

11. Doesn’t explain why his brother would put a dead body in Janoris’s basement? It doesn’t appear to be a good hiding spot. Stay tuned folks there is a lot more to come.

12. It didnt specify WHAT he was originally arrested for….it may have been something as mundane as a traffic warrant. Jeez, you guys are certainly not cops….or have no common sense. Either/or.

13. burgandy2260 says:
    June 27, 2018 at 2:18 pm
    I don’t think this is going to end well.

___________________________________

Yeah, murder investigations usually dont. Good call Einstein.

14. ValarMorghulis says:
    June 27, 2018 at 2:17 pm

No it said before the body was discovered. Time of death was not disclosed

Stop with the race bs. If JJ had a body in his basement people would be floored. Not bc he’s white but bc he’s an outstanding guy.

15. POI isn’t that neutral a term except in cop/lawyer training manuals. Everyone else and his uncle knows a “person of interest” is of interest because to some extent they’re currently a suspect – either of the crime itself or of being an accessory in some way. It may be that a POI, say by having been spotted near the scene, evolves into a mere witness, but at the time of being labelled POI it is because the cops think the person may have potentially been more involved than that – i.e. they are a suspect. You might say “No! they’re just a possible suspect” if you like, but that really still means a suspect, just a weaker one.

16. yo I am a Patriots fan thru and thru (deflategate was a myth!) BUT even I jumped to conclusions pretty fast when Aaron Hernandez was a “person of interest”
    I mean let’s be real, Janoris Jenkins has always kind of had the “I may end up with a dead guy in my basement” kind of vibe
    So word of advice to Giants fans: just swallow the pill now

17. My issue is that many – not most – posters gave this guy the “Giants should drop him” and it sounds like it isn’t Jenkins himself. Maybe we should wait for facts – like these – before we condemn. Guy wasn’t even a POI.

18. Arrested hours before the body was even found.

I heard someone report that Jenkins brother was acting crazy on a plane to Florida and was kicked off the plane just a few days ago.

Sounds like someone that is possibly mentally unstable OR on drugs. Could be both

Sad story all around.

19. If you walk into a police station and say “I murdered so and so” before there is a dead body found,you CANNOT be officially arrested at that time….there is NO PROBABLE CAUSE, which is what you need to arrest someone in these United States. You would be detained and questioned while officers went about investigating your claims. If he was ARRESTED before a body was found then he was ARRESTED for something other than this murder. Policing 101.

20. A suspect is implied suspicion of a crime. A person of interest is a person that may have pertinent information in regards to a case. I.E. they may have witnessed something or know the whereabouts of an individual or can help piece together a time line. It may not be a person directly involved in the case. Once suspicion or investigating leads to that persons direct involvement in a case, then they become a suspect.

21. ValarMorghulis says:

June 27, 2018 at 2:17 pm

********************************************************************************

I’ve yet to see reported the time of the murder, so perhaps you are also drawing ill-founded conclusions. BTW, I was in Dallas, Texas BEFORE a murder was committed in Houston, Texas — quick, does this information exonerate me of the crime?

As to your 2nd point, race has nothing to do with it. But if a NY Giant is involved then, yes, I do think he’s guilty.

22. So now the question will be was Janoris in communication with his brother. Did he conspire or hire his brother to off this guy? He’s not in the clear yet. I watch too much ID network.

23. Clearly these people don’t understand that he was arrested in a SEPARATE INCIDENT hours before the body was discovered

24. Janoris has twice been arrested for fighting and I think twice for drugs too. JJ Watt has no history of violence or drug use as far as I know. I support BLM but it’s fair to question Janoris in this situation way more than we’d question JJ Watt. He’s a tool but he’s not a criminal. This isn’t about race, it’s just common sense.

25. arwiv says:
    June 27, 2018 at 2:46 pm

People have been arrested, tried and convicted of murder without a body. ESP and sadly in cases involving children. So I wouldn’t be saying anyone can just walk in and tell police they murdered someone and not be charged….

26. jlv3gem says:
    June 27, 2018 at 3:06 pm

____________________________________

Somebody gets what I was trying to say. Thank you jlv3gem.

27. RobfromAmarillo says:
    June 27, 2018 at 2:16 pm
    ——————————–
    More than likely this guy already confessed and told where to find the body – or – he confided in someone about the incident, who in turn, did the right thing and told authorities about it. The authorities wrapped him up asap and then secured the scene in roughly the same time period.

28. Have I missed something? Why are a lot of these posts saying that Janoris is at all involved other than it is his house? I am not saying he is or isn’t, I am just saying I haven’t seen anything about him being anything POI, suspect, etc. Seriously!

29. POS,POI and suspect when serious crimes are committed are all guilty until proven innocent so we know where his brother stands in the eyes of the law.just be glad you’re not in his shoes tonight.

30. Once the victims name is released then things will get clearer..if it’s a person linked to him or his brother..then it doesn’t look good. If it’s a worker who was there doing construction with other workers. Then maybe the Jenkin boys are innocent.

31. PROBABLY The murder had already been reported and the suspect named, but the body had yet to be found.

Cops were on the lookout for Jenkins, and when they found him they were able to detain or arrest him on unrelated charges while the searched for the body.

32. arwiv says:
    June 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm
    ____________________________________

First, I didn’t know anyone cared enough about the Giants to truly hate them.

Second, nobody has exonerated Janoris, who has chosen to hide from da po po instead of helping them out. Just because they’re looking at his brother as the prime – for now – doesn’t meant he investigation won’t lead them to Janoris – you know, the guy whose house the dead body was found in.

I don’t care WHO you are, that’s a very bad situation.

33. ShouldBuffaloStay says:
    June 27, 2018 at 3:18 pm
    arwiv says:
    June 27, 2018 at 2:46 pm

_____________________________

Of course they have (after the investigation took place). Again though, you cannot possibly be arrested simply be stating I killed ( ) without a body right there. Impossible. I wasnt a lawyer, but I was a cop for quite a while, and this is just common sense.

34. If it was JJ Watt I would have had the same reaction as with Jenkins. He let some worthless relative or friend use his house while he was away. That person let their friends use the house and so on and soon you have all kinds of people going in and out. Pro athletes get exploited by hangers on all the time.

Also, his brother was obviously arrested on a separate charge if it was before the body was found. Probably related to his acting crazy on a plane recently. Schizophrenic? Not good.

35. 1phillyphan says:
    June 27, 2018 at 4:05 pm
    Once the victims name is released then things will get clearer
    ————————————–
    Name was released yesterday. He was a music producer.

36. If you walk into a police station and say “I murdered so and so” before there is a dead body found,you CANNOT be officially arrested at that time….there is NO PROBABLE CAUSE, which is what you need to arrest someone in these United States. You would be detained and questioned while officers went about investigating your claims. If he was ARRESTED before a body was found then he was ARRESTED for something other than this murder. Policing 101.
    *****
    Dangerously incorrect. First of all, a confession to a crime is enough Probable Cause to arrest someone even if there is a lack of physical evidence. Secondly, a quick internet search can give you plenty of examples of people being charged, arrested and convicted of murder despite never finding a body.

37. palsgraf21 says:

—————————–
    I apologize if i missed it but people keep saying he was arrested on a separate charge? I only read that he was arrested in a separate location? Nothing about a separate incident – but I could have missed that. Being arrested in a separate location for the same charge makes me believe he was on the run and the authorities were on his trail.

38. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    June 27, 2018 at 4:20 pm
    Now to reassess the situation.

Janoris Jenkins lawyer told Janoris to stay in Florida.

As opposed to saying he should cooperate with the investigation.

——————

If police really wanted to speak to him and feel he has information, I’m pretty sure it’s very easy to pick him up in Florida. Not like he’s on the run.

39. hagemeisterpark920 says:
    June 27, 2018 at 4:27 pm

palsgraf21 says:

—————————–
    ———————————————————————–

I had read earlier that it was a parole violation (or something such as that). However, that was also in the NY Post, so take that for what it’s worth.

40. I would think he confided in someone. But didnt tell the location of the body. Confidant alerted the authorities. Authorities tracked him down out of town and arrested him on suspicion. He was interogated and the info came out. Just my best guess given the timeline.

41. dimi1919 says:
    June 27, 2018 at 4:33 pm
    screamingyellowzonkers says:
    June 27, 2018 at 4:20 pm
    Now to reassess the situation.

Janoris Jenkins lawyer told Janoris to stay in Florida.

As opposed to saying he should cooperate with the investigation.

——————

————-
    True. But the lawyer can say his client will cooperate with the investigation. And he hasn’t.

42. ValarMorghulis says:

June 27, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Ya good call now that his brother has been arrested for the murder. It’s ironic how you talk about people making assumptions about someone and then you went ahead and did the same exact thing, except in this case they were correct and you couldn’t have been more wrong. But I’m sure you’re going to tell me that he was only arrested because he’s black and not the fact that, you know, he might have actually murdered the guy. By the way with your detective skills please don’t ever become a cop

43. You are correct. If I confessed I am NOT walking out of the station. I can then ask for a lawyer but they aren’t saying ok so after we investigate your confession of murder we will be in touch. Thanks for coming in. An investigation is going to be done for sure and mainly for the DA to convict but I’m not freely leaving. There is no doubt about that.

44. Not -common- sense at all. Or the opinion of a retired chief of detectives Im talking to about it. I would not be leaving and if arresting me was the only way to keep me there then that is what they will do based on my confession. They may never recover a body, so having a body is not required. Not sure how many murder cases you’ve dealt with tho, it’s not what every police officer encounters or ever has to deal with….