Kam Chancellor: Time for the next chapter

Getty Images

Serious doubts about Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor‘s playing future have existed since he was shut down for the 2017 season with a neck injury and Sunday brought word from Chancellor that he won’t be back on the field.

Chancellor posted on Twitter that it’s “time for the next chapter” while revealing that the latest tests on his neck weren’t good. Chancellor didn’t use the word retirement in the post, but there’s little question about what’s next when he writes about moving on to “the next journey.”

“I always prayed to God and told myself that I would play this game of football until the wheels fall off,” Chancellor wrote. “Well the wheels didn’t fall off, but God has given me a sign that I just can’t ignore. I’ve played through all types of bruises and injuries at a high level. But this one I just can’t ignore. … To walk away from the game by choice is one thing, to walk away from the game because of the risk of paralysis is another. My final test showed no healing.”

Chancellor was a fifth-round pick in 2010 and spent his entire career with the Seahawks. He was a four-time Pro Bowler, two-time second-team All-Pro and won a Super Bowl ring when the Seahawks demolished the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.

82 responses to “Kam Chancellor: Time for the next chapter

1. Played the game with reckless abandon. His body was ultimately the sacrifice.

2. I can’t stand the Seahawks or their whiny bandwagon fans, but I’ve always liked Kam. That hit he put on Vernon Davis was one of the hardest, best hits I’ve ever seen. Davis has never been the same.

3. Jimmy GOATrapplo is writing the end to a lot of chapters in the NFC West this year. #GoNiners #Nobodyhasitbetter

4. LOB! LOB! LOB!

That is over and Thomas is soon gone too! Enjoy that one year dynasty loser seahawk fans!

Start to learn Jimmy B because the niners next dynasty is on the horizon whether you haters like it or not!

5. Vernon Davis’s football soul is and has been fine. He’ll be lacing them up in DC this season.
    Meanwhile, Chancellor will be relegated to the rocking-chair-on-porch league.

6. Does anyone care about these guys? I again have to ask the question which gets modded is why guys in the NHL can fly around 30-50 mph and hit each other, get in fist fights, and puck it up for 17 years plus but the average nfl guy can’t survive a 7-9 career. It’s called agility over strength and roids!

7. I want to thank “Bam Bam” Kam Chancellor for a stellar body of work, during his whole tenure as a Seahawk. He put the Boom in our legion, and we wouldn’t have had even our 1 year dynasty without his leadership. I am glad he is able to walk away on his own terms. I wish him every success in life, and hope to see him as a coach in the future. In the meantime, may he never have to pay for his own beer wherever a 12 is present. Cheers!

8. On another note, I know Seattle has a pretty annoying fanbase, but to troll THIS article the way I have seen thus far is the very definition of “low-class.” Love or hate the team all you want, but Kam is one of the best football players ever to play. Show a little respect, please.

9. You sad pieces of garb.

Kam is one of the best to ever play defense in the NFL. He will make a great coach.

Eat trash haters.

Go HAWKS

10. As a fan of football LOB was fun to watch. Good to hear Kam is walking away from the game before maybe he isn’t able to walk.

11. I find the Seahawks and their fans as annoying as anyone, but why take Chancelor’s retirement as an opportunity to rip them? The guy was a monster on the field and his career was cut well short due to injury. He deserves some respect.

12. ctiggs says:
    July 1, 2018 at 8:08 pm
    ———————————————-
    I figured you would be in the fetal position thinking Jimmy G was bringing the Cheatriot ways to the 9ers.

13. Not a hawks fan by loved watching him play, the new rules are going to make my favorite type of players like him obsolete. Sad. In any event, I think if his career were longer he could have been a hall of famer but only 7 years in the league it’s tough to make that argument, fair or not.

14. I’m sure if Kam wants to get into coaching, he’d be welcome back in Blacksburg with open arms. Wish him all the best in his retirement and recovery.

15. Guess he is unwilling to play offensive line for this subpar team. Not surprised to see players quitting on them. Carroll will be fired or retired in 2 years.

16. Not much of a fan of Seattle but I am of Kam. I hate that injury shortened his career but I’m glad he’s wise enough to know when to fold ’em. The NFL is worse without Kam Chancellor.

17. People are going to watch this dude on whatever video platform exists in 20 years and wonder how any of his hits were allowed. What a beast, and a smart man for walking away while he still can.

18. Great player … one of those players the QBs always had to check where he was lined up before the snap. Seattle will miss him.

19. Glad he had easy decision to make and still has his health for the most part.
    Appreciate all he did for Hawks and sure glad he got a ring.
    The VDavis hit was epic but the one I will always remember was the tone-setter on Demarious Thomas in first quarter of SB48.

20. 49ersfury says:
    July 1, 2018 at 8:10 pm

The man who damaged Vernon Davis’ football soul with a vicious hit. VD wasn’t ever the same after that.

———————————————–

You’re right … his best career year was the following season. This has to be the most overblown false narrative ever to perpetuate these boards.

21. This is why guys hold out for more money when they’re being underpaid for what they do. In a moment it can be taken away.

22. Vernon Davis is gonna be collecting millions for at least three more season and end up with a career of almost 15 NFL Seasons when he finally retires. He’ll retire on his terms as a dependable player who is still important on a legendary NFL franchise in his hometown….meanwhile this Chancellor (who is he who cares) is being tossed out for being a Sean Taylor wannabe because he can’t take the pain. Similar to the franchise he played for. A complete flash in the pan, neverwas. See ya!

23. I loved loved loved watching them destroy the Denver Broncos. This guy set the tone when he flattened their receivers and installed fear in that broncos offense

24. Haha lots of bitter niner fans on here.

Congrats to the man who brought the boom on a great career. So many great plays and moments.

All the best

25. I hated to see you lined up on the other side of the field, because you are a warrior and a cold blooded hitter…

But I would never wish this on anyone. I pray that it only affects football and no other aspects of your life.

26. Can’t play games with neck injuries. Look no further than Sterling Sharpe. Younger people don’t even know who he is, but trust me … had he been able to play any longer, that Packers offense would have been the greatest there ever was. It would have made the 49ers’ offense of the 80’s, look lame. That’s how good Sterling Sharpe was.

Best wishes to Kam and his future endeavors.

27. I remember the game he just crumpled a Fraudinals offensive tackle on his way to tackling the running back for a loss. When I say crumple, I mean that guy looked like he was hit by a car. In another Fraudinals game, he picked up a lineman on the blitz and threw him at Carson Palmer lol. Ah, good times.

28. This is very similar to the 2015 Exodus of the Niners squad… chickens going 2-5 wins a season for the next half decade..by then Carroll will be retired and Schneider will be fired..so maybe a longer drought than the niners

29. If you are a fan of Seattle today…and they won a Superbowl in the 2013 season…are you bandwagon? How many years removed must it be to not be bandwagon? …. If you were a fan during Holmgren? … Patera? …. the whole bandwagon fan is misplaced, misused, and means nothing considering you never know how long someone has been a fan when they post something.

30. The man was a heat seeking laser guided missile that played with all his heart

31. 52 Catches, 850 yards, 13 touchdowns the season after that hit. Vernon got absolutely crushed by Kam. But it’s false to say it took his soul. Good luck going forward Kam.

32. Viciusjay

I agree. Seen players in nhl play with cracked legs arms face.
    Give me a stitch. Which leads me to who dominates nfl vs nhl. WvsB

33. 49ers fans are funny with their ‘nobody has it better’ crap. Lots of teams have it better, you fool. They’re still not even relevant, maybe that changes this year but remember when the bucs were an up & coming team? Last I checked, the niners won 5 meaningless games and lost all the games that meant something towards getting into the playoffs. Win a couple before you start in with this ‘we are so amazing that we sniff our own farts’ routine

34. cardsfann1 says:
    July 1, 2018 at 9:44 pm
    Not going to miss him one bit..

5 24 Rate This

***************************

The thumbs up/down ratio makes me think a lot of Seahawks fans missed the point. It’s a Cardinals fan giving high praise.

And I thought people from my town were smart

35. You can say what you want about the Seahawks organization and the fan base that is your opinion, but Kam Chancellor was a stud and he played the game in which we all enjoy. Everyone respects his game and the way he played it. He flattened WR, TEs, RBs and even lineman (see Cardinals game a three years ago and look what he did to a pulling G). He was even more of a stand up guy off the field. He will be surely missed on the field. Hopefully the Seahawks bring him on as a coach to get the leadership he brings to the team.

36. How can we forget his helmet shot hit on Julian Edelman in the super bowl. He just about knocked himself out and started adjusting his helmet as he is walking towards the sideline…meanwhile edelman gets right back up and starts running upfield. Chancellor had no clue whete he was after that hit, yet edelman took the worst of it and kept running

37. Why is the internet such an ugly place? All the power in the world at your fingertips and most people just use it to say nasty crap anonymously. What a wonderful species we are.

38. Kam was a great Safety, sucks for him that his career is ending so Early due to injury. He had perfect timing on that last contract, SEA still owes him Millions in guaranteed money he gets without playing a down.

39. kamthechancellor says:
    July 1, 2018 at 11:35 pm
    ==========================================

Keep Trolling lol. With as bad as SEA now is that’s all you have left, SEA now has one of the worst rosters in the league & their defense will be among the NFL’s worst w/ Bradley McDougald & Mo freaking Alexander starting at safety w/ Thomas holding out and likely getting traded. Arizona on the other hand still has a Top-5 Defense/DVOA & has had a top 5 defense/DVOA each of the last 3yrs.
    The Rams, Cardinals and 49ers are on the rise w/ each team getting better this off-season adding lots of new talent, while SEA is one of the fastest declining teams in the NFL losing a ton of starters and replacing them w/ scrubs. Enjoy the next couple years of 4-12 Football!!!!

40. “I think they have been saying one year dynasty for 4 years, gets old”

What’s even funnier is they’re making fun of Seahawks fans for calling themselves a dynasty after actually winning a Super Bowl while at the same time calling themselves a dynasty after Garrapollo led them to a handful of wins in one season and they haven’t even made the playoffs with him yet.

I love JimmyG but the 9ers fans are way ahead on the “dynasty” curve lolz

41. Hall of Fame?
    =====

Seahawks Hall of Fame

NFL Hall of Fame?.. guys like LeRoy Butler and Steve Atwater can’t get in.. Kam has no shot, unfortunately.

42. If you are a fan of Seattle today…and they won a Superbowl in the 2013 season…are you bandwagon? How many years removed must it be to not be bandwagon? …. If you were a fan during Holmgren? … Patera? …. the whole bandwagon fan is misplaced, misused, and means nothing considering you never know how long someone has been a fan when they post something.
    ======

It social media. A license to be obnoxious.

As it relates to Seattle; let em have it! There are 1,000,000 too many people here now as it is. The fewer that “get it”, the better.

43. Great player……much respect from this Pats fan.

Hope he does the right thing for his health and family and really calls it quits.

44. ctiggs says:
    July 1, 2018 at 8:08 pm

————————————————————-
    I think a lot of people are excited to see what Jimmy G can do, but the list of QB’s that have had a handful of good games, then never amounted to much is extensive. Let’s let him play a couple seasons before we get all wound up.

One other note, I’m not a 9ers or Pats fan by any means. Based on past experience I have a hard time thinking BB would trade away someone he thought had potential to be the “GOAT”, I guess we have to see how this whole things plays out.

45. kamthechancellor says:
    July 1, 2018 at 11:35 pm
    I remember the game he just crumpled a Fraudinals offensive tackle on his way to tackling the running back for a loss. When I say crumple, I mean that guy looked like he was hit by a car. In another Fraudinals game, he picked up a lineman on the blitz and threw him at Carson Palmer lol. Ah, good times._____________________________________

By the “Fraudinals”, Are you referring to that team from Arizona that Seattle can’t beat at home? Yeah, thought so. You’d best be more worried about the Niners and Rams anyway. Enjoy your 6-10 Season.

46. The danger with a neck injury is that the wheels won’t fall off but they will not move if there is a severe enough injury. Time to move on. There is more to life than football. There is a good chance the the Legion of Bust will have only Byron Maxwell left for the 2018 season, because Earl the Pearl may be traded.

47. viciousjay says:
    July 1, 2018 at 8:22 pm
    ——————————————————————————-
    The average playing career for an NFL players is 3.5 years, the average MLB career is 5.6 years, the average NBA career is 4.8 years, and the average NHL career is 5.5 years. It’s the rare athlete who plays anything near 17 seasons. And yes we care about these players, somewhat. It’s the ownership and organizations who have zero use for them once they can find somebody better or as good for less money. Then it’s on to the trash heap with them. Fact of life. Kinda stinks but we fans feed the beast I suppose.

48. one of the better safeties the past 8 seasons for sure. goes to show you how fast a great defense can disappear. great defensive teams like the 90s bucs & 00s ravens are true anomalies to last so long. at least they got a superbowl title out of it like those aforementioned great defenses. they coulda ended up like the 09-10 jets & cashed it in at the title games.