Jimmy Garoppolo surges past Tom Brady in NFLShop.com jersey sales

Getty Images

He didn’t appear anywhere within the top 10 tabulated by Dick’s Sporting Goods. But 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo has moved near the top of the list in the official numbers kept by the league.

Via NFLShop.com, Garoppolo occupied the No. 2 spot for jerseys sold from April 1 through June 23. Giants running back Saquon Barkley stands at No. 1, like he does on the Dick’s Sporting Goods list.

Quarterbacks have the rest of the top nine spots at NFLShop.com, with Garoppolo followed by Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, Eagles quarterback Nick Foles (what quarterback controversy?), Jets quarterback Sam Darnold, Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota, and Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott.

Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott finishes out the top 10. The list itself cuts off at No. 24, an unusual ending spot that invites speculation as to who might be at No. 25.

59 responses to “Jimmy Garoppolo surges past Tom Brady in NFLShop.com jersey sales

1. My question is this – how can Brady, who has been in the league for nearly 20 years, playing for a team whose uniform hasn’t recently been changed, possibly still be in the top 10? An NFL jersey isn’t an ice cream cone, where you buy one today and another one tomorrow. How can there be enough people who really want a Tom Brady jersey and haven’t yet gotten one for him to be in the top 10?

2. Meanwhile Tom holds a commanding lead in Super Bowl championships. I’ll call it 6-1 but to me personally Jimmy G would have to win 6 more Super Bowl rings just to tie Tom. And yes I do know my math is “technically” off.

Good luck Jimmy Garoppolo. I’m going to enjoy watching your career. I do think he will be one of the games future stars. Seems like a great dude too.

3. I put more stock in the nfl’s website sales than I do in one outlet store no matter how big Dick’s sporting goods is. I am amazed at the number of jersey’s Tom Brady sells every single year. You would figure every Pats fan that buys NFL jerseys has a Brady Jersey already and had it for multiple years. The way he stays in the top 3 in Jersey sales for 15 or so years is ridiculous. Do all Pats fans have 5 jerseys? I guess kids and non die hard fans and random ppl buy them but to be with the same team for so long with what I personally think is just an ugly jersey as they don’t have any flash to them it’s amazing they are still selling so many beating a lot of young exciting players where the fan base doesn’t have that jersey yet every single year as this website has posted this kind of story every year since it started out and Tom’s top 5 every year its incredible.
    I wonder how many Tom Brady NE Patriots jersey’s have been sold in total from every retailer since his rookie year in the NFL. There should be some way to get that number from manufacturers but it has to be remarkable whatever that number is and made all involved a ton of money. From authentic jerseys to mid priced numbers sewn on to the lower numbers screen printed.

4. check the gender demographics: how many women are buying jerseys? I’m thinking a lot because they tend to think Garoppolo is hot. That’s what Twitter tells me anyway.

5. Everyone who wants to own a Brady jersey already does. This doesn’t mean Jimmy G is more popular. If Brady were traded tomorrow, jersey sales for his new team would skyrocket.

6. This just in….psychiatrists report an upsurge in appointments after this new was released. Poor fragile Patriots fans.

7. I wish Jimmy all the best, wish we could have kept him around in NE, but Brady is defying time, they have the same agent so you can’t blow any smoke to keep him around, and if anyone in the history of the NFL has earned the right to dictate his own exit, it’s Tom Brady. I have no qualms with how it’s played out, as long as Brady gives us two years to figure out the future. After two decades of unprecedented success, if we suck again for a while, I can’t complain. BUT, as a sports radio listener in Boston, I just CANNOT deal with the barrage of calls they’ll get for the duration of the 2020s of “Kraft never should have let this kid walk!” from the peanut gallery, so I’m gonna need Jimmy to try to keep it to a dull roar over there in San Francisco.

8. “Just think BB traded a mustang for nothing and is stuck with driving a pinto!”

Yeah the MVP, who led the league in passing, was #1 in completions of 40+ yards in the air and #3 in completions of 20+ yards in the air is a “Pinto”

All you do is constantly humiliate yourself with the drivel you post and show you know nothing about the players or the game

9. OMG get on the bandwagon while it’s still popular! We’re gonna talk about dynasties and all that stuff!

7-9

10. Brady’s just finished 18th year in the league 17th as the starter. He’s been in the top 10 in jersey sales the past 10-15 years which is the most of all time. He has probably out sold not just every player but every team in the nfl counting all their players collectively. Every Pats fan must have every home and away Brady jersey and all the slight word don’t veristions and jersey changes over his career giving them like 10 jerseys each for his numbers to be top 5 every single year.

11. Everyone who wants to own a Brady jersey already does. This doesn’t mean Jimmy G is more popular. If Brady were traded tomorrow, jersey sales for his new team would skyrocket.
    _______________________________________________
    Not true. Very few out of Mass want to wear the jersey of a Cheater. Its a bad look.

12. “Not true. Very few out of Mass want to wear the jersey of a Cheater.”

Another person who has identified themselves as poorly educated and failed 5th grade science. Also willing to believe Roger’s 56 lies of framegate.

SMH

13. lyfordjr says:
    July 2, 2018 at 10:41 am
    ———————————–
    The current jersey came the same year as him, 2000. Not just a top-ten seller, he’s quite often THE top seller each year and typically at least top 5. There’s nothing suspicious however, just that outside of the salty mountain of hate on PFT, the most successful player of the past 17yrs and probably of all time, with 12 AFCCG and 8 SB appearances, and counting, is extremely popular and a big name outside the US too, and is gonna sell a lot of jerseys both home and around the world, all whilst many other names come and go. And don’t start the “weak AFCE” thing – his win ratio against 5 other divisions (AFCS, AFCN, NFCE, NFCS, NFCN) is even bigger – only his win ratio over the AFCW & NFCW (still good at 2:1) keep him looking half human, and that’s due partly to distance (and altitude).

14. I live in Boston. There are tons of “pink hats” and bandwagon fans here. Most Pats fans cannot name a player on the roster outside of Gronk, Brady and Edleman. Those are the people buying the shiny new Brady shirts.

15. Big deal…. like this matters to anyone??!!
    Wish Jimmy the best!!!
    Go Pats,
    Go Brady!!!

16. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:21 pm
    ———————————————-

If you actually lived in Boston, instead of likely in or near Indianapolis, you would actually know how to spell Julian Edelman.

17. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Sure you do.

18. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:21 pm

———————-
    Lol. I dont even buy that you live in Cambridge.

19. Most international fans are frontrunners. Plus, the color scheme is America’s red white n blue. I’m guessing that’s what keeps Brady atop the list every year.

Most fans I meet in China are Brady fans. He’s classically American looking and he wins. And his name is super easy to pronounce.

20. ayokel21 says:
    July 2, 2018 at 11:52 am
    For every idiot predicting 7-9, I’ll be reminding you of your posts in December.
    ————————————————————
    We’ll be here. I’m guessing you won’t.

21. aj66shanghai says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:55 pm

———————————————————————-

I would guess most of those fans in China are not buying the NFL shirts which are ridiculously over priced. Much more likely they are buying knockoffs which costs just a few bucks. There are websites where you can buy a replica shirt that looks remarkably like the real thing. I bought one for my daughter with her name on the back for $12.

22. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
    It makes you truly wonder if the Patriots traded the wrong QB.
    *****
    Jimmy G is selling more jerseys so obviously he is the better QB, right? Oh, the shame.

23. lyfordjr says:
    July 2, 2018 at 10:41 am

The popularity of Brady, despite the Max Kellermans, babygagas and others who are twisted over this man’s success, is as strong if not stronger than ever. Most folks don’t let jealousy get in the way of their judgement but some can’t help it. The cheating nonsense exists only in the minds of a precious few.

24. Can someone remind me which of these 2 guys won Super Bowls 15 years apart? How people enjoy football when their lives revolve around someone, anyone surpassing what Brady has done. Jimmy G may well be the next Brady and dayum he’s a looker. Funny how no one was hoping Brady would be the next guy to pass Montana. They bought into the Book of Manning.

25. electricboogalo says:
    July 2, 2018 at 10:40 am

The future vs. the past. Which one did Kraft hitch his wagon to?
    ————————————————–

Uhh- The right one. Winning-est QB ever, and a Legend

26. If Jimmy is still in the Top 10 for jersey sales 17 years from now (his 20th in the NFL), then I’ll be impressed. If Jimmy is still playing as a starting quarterback at all in the NFL 17 years from now, I’ll be impressed… If Jimmy wins 5 Super Bowls as the starting quarterback in the next 17 years, I’ll be impressed…

As others have noted, Tommy has been in the NFL 20 years (really, feels more like 18), with the same team and no significant uniform change and he’s still in the top 10 for jersey sales? Talk about staying power…

Tom “Terrific” Brady – Quarterback – GOAT

27. Groppy should enjoy it while he can….given that he’s a 2nd round pick who’s proven nothing yet. But he’s set with cash at least. Best of luck to him, he’ll need it as long as York remains owner, sad.

28. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
    It makes you truly wonder if the Patriots traded the wrong QB.
    ———————-
    It makes you wonder how all the guys predicting the Pats demise when Brady retired and Garrapolo took over were able to turn on a dime the instant the trade got announced and start talking like Garrapolo was the better option all along.

29. I have never seen a quarterback (Garrapolo) get as much hype like he’s a friggin 10 year vet, after only starting 7 games in this league, what’s up with all the hype!

30. dynastypolice says:
    July 2, 2018 at 5:35 pm
    Groppy is a 2nd round pick backup until proven otherwise, Pats got a steal trading for that pick at this point.

———————
    Pats had to decide that week to pony up 25+ million for their backup or lose him for nothing. So yeah, that second round pick was indeed a steal.

Those that say they should have traded Brady instead are delusional.
    1) Brady is still playing the goat and to keep using him cost the Patriots nothing except the salary he is owed which is in fact a ton less than JG. (For a proven GOAT that in the last game we saw him threw for 500+ yards and three TDs. Does not sound like a decline. Whatever more they get is basically gravy.
    2) Another team to get Brady would cost them plenty. It would not be gravy to them they would have to give up a lot for a 40 year old player in the hopes of milking enough years in return to make what they gave up worth it. Even allowing Brady is the GOAT and still playing like it today if I am another team I dont make that deal.

31. @neatpete1
    ================
    You’re correct about Brady being a no brainer over JG. He is absolutely the GOAT every bit as much as 7 consecutive TDF winner, Lance Armstrong, is in his sport and Bonds is in MLB – Vive la GOAT! Yup, whole lotta GOATS grazing around out there.. yee hee!

32. Nfl has a new poster boy, Brady was great but he’s old news, no pun intended. JG is the future and the future is now….saw him in person vs Jax….he is a Brady clone, no other way to put it. I hope he can live up to the hype…..go Niners! 11-5

33. dangguy says:
    July 2, 2018 at 1:40 pm
    aj66shanghai says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:55 pm

———————————————————————-

—————————————-
    Absolutely. I’ve never been to China but I’ve spent a few years in South Korea and they’ll make quality, inexpensive knock offs of anything and everything that’s not made in Korea. One of the guys I worked with bought 3 different Raiders jerseys, no accounting for taste. You can buy jerseys, banners, pennants, jackets, blankets, you name it. All they need is a picture and the measurements. They will, in fact, copy the NFL logo, but you have to pay a little more for that.

34. aj66shanghai says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:55 pm

———————————————————————-
    So, apparently, according to you, only the Patriots color scheme is red, white and blue. Funny thing, I thought there were other teams with those colors. Let me think… Oh, yeah, there’s the New Jersey Giants, and they’ve even won the Super Bowl a couple of times in this Century, too. But, hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

35. dynastypolice says:
    July 2, 2018 at 7:29 pm

@neatpete1
    ================
    ——————————————–

Jeez- the Brady haters really reaching now.

Hmm- there is MORE evidence that Peyton Manning(and I’m not accusing Manning here) did PED’s than Brady deflating footballs or using PED’s combined.

Both Armstrong and Bonds bodies went under a complete transformation as a result of the PED’s. If anything Brady’s thinner and less muscular than 10 years ago.

Never understand why any story mentioning Brady or Rodgers always brings out the worst posts here. Brady has been in some of the most exciting games, win or lose, ever played, and the NFL would be the worse off without him. Someone should have told Rodger that before Brady humiliated him in public TWICE.

Keep making up excuses why Brady is better than your teams quarterback.

36. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    July 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
    It makes you truly wonder if the Patriots traded the wrong QB.

—-

Only you for some reason, and it’s a subject which you have an unhealthy obsession with due to losing to Brady all these years. Your “system” and “well, he’s old” arguments have been proven to be silly even as you cling to them so tightly.

Anyway, for us folks engaging in reality, I think Jimmy G will have a nice productive career if he doesn’t get hurt. Avoiding or minimizing injuries are just another of Brady’s many strengths that have been vastly underrated. He’s also at the head of the list of guys that play well while hurt. Hates to miss games.

As for Jimmy G—great scouting and training on the Pats part while he was in Foxboro. It doesn’t hurt to learn from the best team in the league without the weight of the franchise resting on your shoulders, and by all accounts, he worked really hard. The 49ers have a legit leader right there. I look forward to watching him play going forward.

37. @nflfan12blog
    ====================
    Remains to be seen what surfaces out of BB kicking TB’s ‘personal trainer gooroo’ off the facility…not all PEDs transform appearance..Lance was blood doping via transfusions and synthetic hormones to help endurance with no HGH effect…..and his appearance was not altered.
    I’m a huge Brady fan as we both attended Serra High in San Mateo, so love the bragging rights, but sadly can’t brag anymore without being hammered. He is the GOAT, but unfortunately nothing he’s done counts due to cheating. Very sad.

38. dynastypolice says:
    July 3, 2018 at 1:34 pm

@nflfan12blog
    ====================

————————————–

Seriously?

You clearly know nothing of Lance Armstrong or cycling- his body completely changed.

He packed on muscle and nearly 50 pounds on to his body.

Bellichik didn’t “kick” Brady’s trainer anywhere- he STILL treats Tom at Gillete, and the TB12 Center is within walking distance of the stadium. Jeez

He’s not just Toms trainer. He has been associated with the team BEFORE Brady was there, and has at various times off and on been employed by the Pats. Bill Bellichik BROUGHT him in, not Tom, during the 2000’s because so many of his players were using him because he was known as one of the best- and also by doing so it prevented other teams from using him.

Guererro has had his problems, not by the way, as has been reported, but none involving PED’s

Again- accuse someone who has achieved greatness in his field- without a SHRED of evidence.

39. Please point exactly when AND how Brady Cheated? The NFL didn’t do it- They said so themselves.
    ___________________________________________
    4 game suspension for destroying evidence related to a cheating probe. Starting qb for a team that has been fined a number of times and fined and lost one draft choices for cheating. I guess you missed this?

40. idiedpretty says:
    July 3, 2018 at 6:44 pm

___________________________________________
    ——————————–

Brady has NEVER been suspended for cheating NEVER. He was suspended for non cooperation- even though, according to Wells, he cooperatwed fully, but hey, why bother with facts right.

“Starting qb for a team that has been fined a number of times”- huh? What does that have to do with Brady cheating? Is everyone on the team guilty, or JUST Brady?

I guess Drew Brees is a cheater too right? I mean he was the starting QB on a team that was fined also with Bountygate cheating investigation. Cheater Cheater!

Von Miller got 6 games- I guess everyone on the Broncos are major cheater right? 6 games verses Brady’s 4 hmm. Cheater- we should throw away all of Millers accomplishments then?

What Tom Brady has done SINCE JUST the “Deflategate” game would qualify him for the hall of fame, and is better than 90 plus percent of all other QB’s.

41. Ideidpretty is correct –
    So you believe that they suspended Brady and upheld the appeal when they knew for a fact he did nothing wrong? You seriously believe this? Cheaters lie about what they do. Over and over. Until there is concrete evidence and they are caught once and for all. He could have admitted what he did, apologize and did all he could to make amends. But instead he stuck to his lies, let others take the blame, tried to convince people he was railroaded and this upstanding guy who would never. He has no remorse which is why respect is difficult for so many to hold for the talent he does really have. It’s why he’s never going to live it down. Playing stupid would have even been a better choice. He has no idea how many people would have been upset but respected him for being honest and trying to somehow fix what he did. He continued to try to beat the system and fight a battle he had no business in fighting because of what he did. There ended up being more damage to him because of the continued lies and lack of any remorse. He could be the greatest guy in the world but the second he committed a wrong he had to own it when caught. He didn’t. He still hasn’t. He never will. He blew his own reputation and list a lot because of it. He doesn’t have to care so he doesn’t. That’s the arrogance. I get standing by your team but not when they do things they have been clearly caught doing and is wrong on so many levels