Terrell Owens to give HOF speech at UT-Chattanooga

Getty Images

Terrell Owens announced some time ago that won’t be in Canton for the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies this August and he revealed his plans for the day on Twitter Tuesday.

Owens announced that he will head back to his alma mater while the rest of this year’s class gathers in Ohio. Owens will give a speech at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga’s McKenzie Arena. The public is invited to attend the event free of charge and it will start at 3:17 p.m. on Saturday, August 4.

“After giving it much thought I have realized just how much I want to celebrate what will inevitably be the best weekend of my life at a place that means so much to me. … I’m proud to be a Moc, and I’m honored to share this experience with my family, friends, teammates and fans at the place that provided me an opportunity beyond high school and where I truly began to find myself as an athlete. Thank you to everyone who has supported my celebration decision. I look forward to seeing you all in Chattanooga. Getcha popocorn ready!”

There’s no word about where any broadcast of Owens’ speech might take place for those who are interested in popping corn in places other than Chattanooga. The rest of this year’s Hall of Fame class will deliver their speeches at a ceremony taking place at 7 p.m. on August 4.

90 responses to “Terrell Owens to give HOF speech at UT-Chattanooga

1. Narcissistic egomaniac.

Never was a team player.
    And this just show how he wants to keep the spotlight all to himself.
    For all his accomplishments on the field.
    Tarnished them with his “Me,ME,ME and only ME” attitude.

2. Hopefully the networks don’t give this clown the time of day. He was a disrespectful teammate and is now disrespectful to the HOF and all his fans who purchased tickets in advance of his selfish announcement.

3. I hope nobody shows up for his speech. He is passing up an opportunity many players can only dream about. Hopefully there will be no mention of him at the induction ceremony in Canton.

4. Well, that’s a relief he finally informed the world of this. Everyone can enjoy their holiday now knowing the drama is over, or just beginning.

5. blessed with incredible talent despite being a selfish jerk. NFL provides him the opportunity to play and make millions and honor him with the HOF and he snubs them.

6. I’ve always been a T.O supporter, and find it kind of contradictory for people saying he’s being selfish on an honor that is supposed to be all about the individual. As much as the writers and media want to think it’s about them as the gate-keepers to this honor, it has nothing to do with them, it’s about T.O. And I think he’s as consistent as anyone has been in his beliefs, right or wrong, by not patronizing an institution that ultimately penalized him via their pettiness.

7. He should do it on the caboose of the Chattanooga Choo Choo like an old campaigning President. Except in his case the train should be moving at full speed and the tracks terminate in the Chattanooga River.

8. terripet says:
    July 3, 2018 at 11:27 am
    The quarterback killer

———–

Really? He never played with Andrew Luck. Who killed him?

9. “blessed with incredible talent despite being a selfish jerk. NFL provides him the opportunity to play and make millions and honor him with the HOF and he snubs them.”

This is the attitude I do not understand. The NFL provided him an opportunity to sacrifice his body and brain for money. T.O took that opportunity and became among the best to ever lace them up. He doesn’t owe anyone anything. This honor is for what he did with his opportunity. He has never committed a crime, ever. He’s guilty of being entertaining, honest, unfiltered, and at times immature. People need to re-asses their definition of villain, because T.O is far from it.

10. I’m no TO fan, the The Hall pettily snubbed him twice and I don’t blame him for not wanting to be part of their show now.

11. tehtrashman says:
    July 3, 2018 at 11:29 am

If JJ Watt did this everyone would be lauding him as “humble” and “classy”, but since it’s TO he’s an egomaniac.

—–

And what has JJ Watt done to make you think he’d do such an idiotic thing?

12. tehtrashman says:
    July 3, 2018 at 11:29 am
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So your comparing a guy who raised millions for hurricane victims to a guy who blew millions? That should probably tell you a little something about each guy.

13. I can’t believe all the people who are sticking up for this egocentric, arrogant, selfish jerk. His play on the field was excellent. His behavior off the field was and is ridiculous. He deserves only to be ignored because he needs to learn the meaning of the words “humility” and “gratitude.” It’s obvious that no one ever taught him about such concepts.

14. Good for him. He is in the Hall of Fame. It doesn’t matter where he celebrates it. People pay to see good football. Well TO have us good football.

Why should he go to Canton and be with the media that knocked him. The fans that knocked him and players and coaches that mocked him ?

15. The only people who care will be his relatives. I can’t see more than a few dozen people attending and only because they want an autograph–not to hear him ramble on. I’m sure his speech will be as eloquent–NOT.

16. Total loser as a teammate, total loser as a Hall of Famer. He just can’t face being around the other greats of the game. Deep down, he knows he doesn’t belong.

17. Not sure why the outrage…the hall decided to not vote him in because they have a problem with his character…they abused their voting power and if they want to get all high and mighty why haven’t theY tried to remove OJ from the hall….I’m glad TO is sticking to his guns…I hope more people fall in line and opt out of showing up

18. TO can do as he chooses, for it is given unto him. With that said, grudge-holding just destroys you, the same way he destroyed QB’s. He’s the antithesis of what a great football player is supposed to be, notwithstanding his epic talent. Now that he’s middle-age, no one with a brain thinks this is cool.

19. What time will he be speaking? I just want to know so I can watch something else.

20. I see this as a combo of spotlight grabbing with humble roots. I mean: When was the last time that the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga received any attention. I get the drama queen aspect of it, but I also have to respect him for shining a light on the college that gave him a shot. It brings the journey into a light that standing on the stage in Canton won’t, and hopefully inspires other college athletes at that “small” school and others to try and achieve greatness doing something they love.

21. An individual that has the personality traits, and intelligence to be President. That’s if recent history gives us any indication

22. And another thing, he knows after Ray Lewis’s speech the entire universe will be dumbfounded.

23. Is it possible Owens is just worried that he could/would get boo’d at the Canton ceremony if he chose to attend? He burned bridges with teams like SF and Philly. What team’s fan-base is claiming Owens and would come out to support him? And, oh by the way, I’m sure a lot of Eagle fans will be in Canton to support Brian Dawkins entering the HOF. I don’t think Owens would get much love from those fans. He is probably thinking it is better to play it safe, and be somewhere where he is guaranteed to have some friendly faces in the crowd.

24. If JJ Watt did this everyone would be lauding him as “humble” and “classy”……
    ———————-

I can’t stand some of JJ Watt’s antics, just like the next guy, but he is 1000x more tolerable than T.O., in every sense of the word.

25. Just wondering. Did Terrell ever graduate from University of Tennessee-Chattanooga? This university he loves so much.

26. patriotmaleorgy says:
    July 3, 2018 at 11:43 am
    tehtrashman says:
    July 3, 2018 at 11:29 am
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It also tells you something about the person who made the comment. Why is it that some folks always want to drag a random white guy into a conversation to mitigate what a black player has done? Just because race is everything to you doesn’t mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

I will watch his “show”. I have often wondered what getting a diploma from a clown college looks like on TV.

27. OchoUno/T.O. – kudos to you on your monumental achievement at becoming one of the Top 5 wide receivers of all time. Haters gon’ hate, but you were always Mr. Production on the field.

OchoUno Forever!

28. Someone already said this but it’s a great idea. Since you won’t come to canton to un-veil your bronze bust in front of the crowd, put in the all with the drape still over it. (he said bust…ha, ha.ha…cornholio!)

29. They should have a button under his bust that when you push it you’ll hear “that’s my quarterback”

30. The only news outlet that will be covering this event is the UT- Chattanooga school newspaper. I heard they are also DJ’ing it. And Student Affairs is springing for Pudgies pizza.

31. “by not patronizing an institution that ultimately penalized him via their pettiness.”
    _______________

But upping the anti on pettiness doesn’t do anything to help him. And we’re not talking about an institution where every deserving guy gets enshrined the very moment they become eligible. Some guys have waited DECADES to finally get into the HoF and every one of them handled it better than TO is here where he was made to wait a very short period of time. You are correct he has always been consistent: Only caring about himself, right up to trying to steal the spotlight from the other members in his Hall of Fame class. And, just like always, he plays the victim. As if once the HoF voters made him mad there was no possible way he could have behaved in any other manner than he has.

32. Don’t blame him for sticking it to the HOF for trying to stick it to him. Enjoy your honors and the celebration T.O. Enjoyed some great years with you in Dallas.

33. tehtrashman says:
    July 3, 2018 at 11:29 am
    ———
    I see your attempt to make this racial…typical

34. Is this why at 3:17??

John 3:17 “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”

35. dalvar1001 says:
    July 3, 2018 at 12:11 pm

….Yes I agree..Much like Obama

36. Giving the speech from a small college isn’t a terrible idea. A more low-key approach would have been to go to Canton and give the speech with a UT-Chattanooga jersey under his HOF jacket, but he is not a low-key guy.

37. Could you imagine if this egomaniac was President of the United States? Oh wait…God save us…

38. T.O. gave the media everything they wanted, and then some.

And most of the hardos on this comments section talking trash were loving Owens, or loving to HATE Owens, which like it or not, is the same thing. Its a business about entertainment, and Owens was entertaining as hell.

The media member HOF voters did T.O. dirty, and he’s giving it back. Good for him.

39. If TO is starting his Tenn. speech at 3:17 and the HOF induction starts at 7, he could theoretically charter a private plane to make the Canton festivities. There is a regional airport in Canton (where Thurman Munson died). That’d be a surprise.

40. My guess is UT-Chattanooga is covering his travel costs, otherwise this “event” might not take place.

BTW, if anyone out there pays me enough money, I’ll go listen to the speech – at least there would be 1 person in attendance. But its gonna cost ya.

41. “I can’t believe all the people who are sticking up for this egocentric, arrogant, selfish jerk. His play on the field was excellent. His behavior off the field was and is ridiculous. He deserves only to be ignored because he needs to learn the meaning of the words “humility” and “gratitude.” It’s obvious that no one ever taught him about such concepts.”

While you want to teach T.O a “lesson” for being immature, OJ Simpson, Ray Lewis, Mel Blount, Brett Favre, and Lawrence Taylor say hello. I really think peoples hatred towards T.O say more about themselves than it does Terrell Owens.

42. Real reason he can’t attend is bc he’s broke. He has multiple kids with multiple women and paying $$$ in child support. He has homes in foreclosure. He’s in big financial ruin.

That’s why he always held out for bigger contracts, even after signing a big deal a season earlier.

You would think TO would’ve used protection with football groupies after the first child or two when he was ordered by courts to pay $20K/month to each of the first two mothers.

Some fools never learn.

43. Wait for it………..headline Aug 5 – “TO speech at UT-Chattanooga grabs larger market share than NFL HOF induction ceremony”. Just ask him.

44. I have ZERO respect for TO, but it sounds to me that the real reason he’s not going to HOF is the elaborate parties that the inductees are expected host. They can be quite expensive and supposedly TO’s net worth is only $100K. That said I have no sympathy for someone that blew through millions of dollars that he received from a career that averages 5 year long.

45. I always hear how great this guy was, but I remember him having aligator arms more than any big time receiver ever. He dropped more passes on a more consistent basis than anyone else. I will give him props for that catch against GB because I have no clue how he held on. But besides that he is more noise than production.

46. Just wondering. Did Terrell ever graduate from University of Tennessee-Chattanooga? This university he loves so much.
    —————————————————————-

I don’t know if he has a diploma, but he parlayed his time there into a career in his chosen field. So, I would say yes he graduated.

47. You know what strikes me about this? Why does anyone care? Seriously. Either you cant stand the guy…in which case, why would you want him at the main ceremony anyway? Or, you just dont care about the guy either way–you dont hate him but youre not really a fan either. So you probably dont care that he wont be at the ceremony. Or, probably the smallest group, you ARE a fan of the guy and his style…in which case this whole thing probably seems brilliant to you! So why does everyone care so much. Put yourself in one of the groups above and let the guy do what he wants. You probably dont care and dont want to see him anyway.

48. “Is it possible Owens is just worried that he could/would get boo’d at the Canton ceremony if he chose to attend? He burned bridges with teams like SF and Philly. What team’s fan-base is claiming Owens and would come out to support him? And, oh by the way, I’m sure a lot of Eagle fans will be in Canton to support Brian Dawkins entering the HOF. I don’t think Owens would get much love from those fans. He is probably thinking it is better to play it safe, and be somewhere where he is guaranteed to have some friendly faces in the crowd.”

He is actually remembered quite fondly in Philly and most of us Eagles fans blame McNabb for selling him out. Of McNabb had gone to bat for him and T.O had been here longer, most of us feel like it would have resulted in a super bowl victory. Then again, it would have been with McNabb at QB and Reid at HC, so chances are they would have messed it up anyway. But most of Philly wanted T.O to get paid while he was here.

49. All networks should not televise his narcissistic speech but NFL network so hard up for any type of news will probably put it on their show! Keep the man off tv and he’ll soon be forgotten.

50. I like the idea of HOF awardees giving speeches/celebrations in a place more fans can access, such as the stadium where they played or another place within the city they played.

51. T.O. belongs in the Hall of Clowns. The more I think about it, this guy was a circus act wherever he landed. He truly is the ultimate clown.

52. I wonder how many times the words “I” and “Me” will be written into his speech,which will probably draw about 10 people,tops. It’s probably going to be a Michael Jordan type speech about everyone who did him wrong along the way. Changed my mind…no thanks.

53. “I’m no TO fan, the The Hall pettily snubbed him twice and I don’t blame him for not wanting to be part of their show now.”

————————————————————

There’s a guy going into the Hall of Fame who was snubbed 40 times. This guy has been the epitome of style, class and graciousness the whole while. His offense? It is believed that the HOF voters felt there were already enough of his teammates in the HOF…and THIS guy had nearly every post-season and post-career honor laid at his feet.

Still, this guy fronted efforts to raise money for retired NFL players who could not afford medical care after they retired. Keep in mind that most NFL players at the time had to hold down off-season jobs to pay the bills of day-to-day life.

As NFL coaches say when their stars are holding out of training camp for more money … “We’ll coach the guys that show up and are here.” So it should be with the NFL Hall of Fame induction in Canton. Honor the guys who show up. Those who make a vindictive decision to stay away…honor their wishes as well – put their bust in the Hall of Fame because they earned it as a player and let that be it. Announce TO’s name as an “Also Inducted” at the end. He shouldn’t be detracting from those whose induction means something to them.

54. Who cares about the hof period in any sport…I’m not going anywhere to watch retired guys give speeches…this is for the player and his family and friends….just feels like idol worship when you see thousands of people watching some guy giving a self absorbed speech….not my thing….could care less.

55. I love this….I never liked TO as much as a player as I do now for him giving the finger the the NFLoL and the swine media.
    Never forget, the media and league love players who abuse women, but if you have your own personality, you are unwelcome.
    NFLoL indeed.