Bill Carollo has a Brett Favre story

Getty Images

It seems like pretty much anyone who ever interacted with Brett Favre has a Brett Favre story. Former NFL referee Bill Carollo definitely does.

Via Gary D’Amato of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, it happened in late 2003. The Packers hosted the Broncos. And Denver coach Mike Shanahan had a concern about Carollo’s place of residence, citing a league rule that referees can’t work games in their hometowns. Carollo explained that he lives in Milwaukee, not Green Bay.

During the game, Packers running back Ahman Green broke loose for a 98-yard touchdown run. So Favre, running with Carollo, tried to get the referee to celebrate with him.

“Brett keeps hitting me, ‘Carollo, give me five, give me five!’” Carollo told D’Amato. “He’s trying to high-five me. I tell him, ‘I can’t give you five, Brett.’ He’s hitting me on the butt, on the shoulder, on the back. He’s yelling, ‘He’s going all the way! Give me five!’ I’m ducking away from him and yelling, ‘I can’t give you five.'”

Even though Carollo resisted, Shanahan noticed.

“We run right past Shanahan, and he holds out his hands and yells, ‘Carollo, I told you you shouldn’t be working this game!'”

Not that the Packers needed the help. They were leading 17-3 in the fourth quarter, when Green’s long run happened. Green Bay went on to win, 31-3.

43 responses to “Bill Carollo has a Brett Favre story

1. Ah, back when football was fun.

No kneeling nonsense-just a good ole boy playing a kids game like a kid.

2. Dear Vikings fans….

SkoL away!

3. I honestly wonder if we’ll ever see a character quite like Brett Lorenzo Favre.
    Granted, he was never the outstanding human being Teddy Bridgewater was (Then again, who ever could be), but there’s really never been anyone quite like Brett and he was a pleasure to watch every Sunday.

4. Mark Chumura who now works in Milwaukee has some really good Favre stories. Most of the ones he has told me I can not tell here because the mods won’t post it.

A tamer one is Brett driving home with his head out the window rather than scraping his windows.

I only met Brett once and it was in 1995. The Packers stay in a hotel the night before the game even for home games. At that time they stayed at Oneida Casino and I ran into Brett and he couldn’t of been a more down to earth laid back cat. We spoke for about 15 minutes and I never asked for a autograph though over the years I wished had because the Brett Favre autographed helmet and football I do have I had to pay a pretty penny for.

5. *Chmura

Most of my typos in here I let slide. But this one I had to correct😉

#89ForLife!

6. Replays show Green was basically untouched, butTony Dorsett has the longest run, 99 yards. Watch feeble arm tackling on the part of team that helped him set record the record.

7. Adam Kachur says:
    July 5, 2018 at 12:13 pm
    brett favre is a dinosaur. he should be extinct hahahahahha
    ______________________________________________________________________

Making fun of a retired player for being old?? Hahaha, the sky is blue and water is wet! So lame. lol

8. Remember this day? Some guy named Josh McNown eliminated the Vikings on the last play of the game.

*****************************************************************

9. rrickjordan says:
    July 5, 2018 at 12:40 pm

*****************************************************************
    _____________________

I remember that day as I was at the game.
    Definitely a disappointing day for the Packers and their fans.

I’m sure Moss’ Fake Moon Celebration looks just amazing in the Vikings trophy case.
    In fact, I would put it right next to the Minneapolis Missed Tackle Miracle Award.

10. @wafflestomp says:

I honestly wonder if we’ll ever see a character quite like Brett Lorenzo Favre.

________________________________________

Not that I think Teddy Bridgewater is a bad person, but what makes him so clearly a greater person? I live in MN and, by all accounts, he seemed like a nice guy and was the kind you’d want on a team from an attitude perspective, But he wasn’t out every weekend making headlines feeding the homeless on his own time or anything like that. He was like other nice guys in the league, but let’s not make him out to be some kind of folk hero. He was only here a few years and people thought he was nice. That’s really about it.

11. scoops1 says:
    July 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

Dear Vikings fans….

________

Yeah, I think I remember that day. So do my neighbors because I carried on for a while. By the way, I think the name of the quarterback was McCown.

Packer fans remember that day because it was the last time the Packers held a team to 3 points.

12. Remember when Randy Moss eliminated the Packers from the playoffs in Lambeau? I sure do! With the fake moon to boot
    ======

We needed George Teague that day for sure..

13. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    July 5, 2018 at 1:07 pm
    scoops1 says:
    July 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

Dear Vikings fans….

________

————-

Nov 21, 2010

GB 31 Minn 3

nice try pal

14. milkcan44 says:

**************************
    And watch the REST of the game where one of the most fearless QBs to ever play then put the sad Cow-pokes away despite the visitors being a huge Road Favorite.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Milkcan….

15. That was one helluva an O-line. (Clifton, Wahle, Flanagan, Rivera, Tauscher)

Green went for nearly 1900 yards, and all 3 Packer backs averaged 5 yards/carry.

16. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    July 5, 2018 at 1:07 pm
    scoops1 says:
    July 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

Dear Vikings fans….

________

\\\\\\\

Yeah it was nice when we had a defense.

Looking forward to this year.

17. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    July 5, 2018 at 1:07 pm
    scoops1 says:
    July 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

Dear Vikings fans….

________

________

I think the Packers are the only team not to employ a McCown, so understandable why we can’t spell it.

18. scoops1 says:
    July 5, 2018 at 1:15 pm
    Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    July 5, 2018 at 1:07 pm
    scoops1 says:
    July 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

Dear Vikings fans….

________

————-

Nov 21, 2010

GB 31 Minn 3

nice try pal

\\\\\\\

As a Packer fan I was thinking I hope you didn’t have to go back 7 years to find a 3 point defensive effort. That would be quite and indictment of Capers (wouldn’t surprise me though, LOL)

Actually it looks like Dom only had 3 defensive games of 3 points or less after the 2010 season.

Terrible. Good riddance to the caller and the guy that gave him the talent.

19. 2ruefan:
    I apologize. I got confused because it was identical to how the 38-7 No. 1 (whiffing) defense looked.

20. As negative as this sounds, Shanahan has always been a petty person.
    =====

The overwhelming majority of people in sports are type A’s personalities that would be unlikable if you had the misfortune of knowing them personally.

21. I have a Brett Favre story, if you go to Canton and look at the Favre display, there is a Viking jersey with the packer jersey. I know this just chaps pack fans hide. Oh, they will respond so what, who cares, he won a SB with the pack. But it bothers them a lot.

22. How blessed we were as packer fans to have Brett, Reggie and Leroy
    at the same time

23. How blessed we were as packer fans to have Brett, Reggie and Leroy
    at the same time
    ======

Grave digger.. Bennett & Levens.. (pre-hot tub) Chmura.. Keith Jackson.. Free.. Brooks.. Bag-a-donuts.. Koonce..

Holmgren.. Fritz.. Reid.. Mooch..

Such a special time.

24. flviking says:
    July 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm
    +++++
    Do you recall Brett charging down the field, helmet off, after hitting the opening play bomb? It’s a moment you Purples can’t sully, no matter how hard you try. Maybe one day you will be lucky enough to know the feeling.

25. packertruth says:
    July 5, 2018 at 8:44 pm
    flviking says:
    July 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm
    +++++

/////////////////////

I don’t recall, not a packer fan. Was he wearing a Viking a Jersey?

26. flviking says:
    July 5, 2018 at 9:37 pm
    packertruth says:
    July 5, 2018 at 8:44 pm
    flviking says:
    July 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm
    +++++

/////////////////////

I don’t recall, not a packer fan. Was he wearing a Viking a Jersey?
    ______________

Umm…..obviously not, as he was recalling Favre’s jubilant celebration of a TD pass in the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl!

And the disappointment of every fan once the Viking team directly caused his consecutive start streak to snap.
    Sad end to the Gunslinger’s reign.

27. wafflestomp says:
    July 6, 2018 at 8:25 am
    flviking says:
    July 5, 2018 at 9:37 pm
    packertruth says:
    July 5, 2018 at 8:44 pm
    flviking says:
    July 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm
    +++++

/////////////////////

I don’t recall, not a packer fan. Was he wearing a Viking a Jersey?
    ______________

///////////////////////

Ummmmmmm………no, do not recall, wasn’t that like twenty years ago? Once again not a packer fan. I don’t recall jim Grabowski running over the left guard for a 3 yard gain in the 1967 Super Bowl. Maybe you can tell us about that also.

28. freefromwhatyouare says:
    July 5, 2018 at 11:48 am
    ———————————————————————-

Before I get too caught up in “don’t ever meet your heroes”, I used to LOVE chucking it up to M.CHUMURA in NFL Gameday ’98. Good times.

29. One of the only memories I have of Favre in a Viking jersey, is of him laying prone, and in pain, on the field after his O-line allowed him to get pummeled over and over again.
    ======

Its a shame Peterson fumbled away the Bounty Game.

Even with a vault of Favre memories, I thought that would have one of the defining moments on his resume… still is I suppose..

I’ve seen plenty of guys get beat up that way, can’t recall any that survived.

30. Any of those Chumura stories include high school hot tub parties? Stories about how Brett sent Polaroids before texts?
    ======

Tell me more about this “Love Boat”

Or the whizzinator, perhaps…..

31. aarons444 says:

July 6, 2018 at 10:10 am

======

Its a shame Peterson fumbled away the Bounty Game.

I’ve seen plenty of guys get beat up that way, can’t recall any that survived.

//////////////////

Agree, never seen a tougher QB than Favre. With a average RB Vikings would have won that game and sent Brett into the sunset on top. Packers having two back to back QBs like Favre and Rodgers are the envy of the league, to bad McCarthy stays as long as he does.

32. Hi. I’m a Green Bay native and I was a bartender at a very popular joint in Green Bay from 1991-1996.

I met Brett in March, 1992, just after he was traded to Green Bay. We were both 22 at the time as he’s only three months older than me. We hung out in the days before people could correctly spell “Favre” and were still calling him “Brent.” I have lots of Brett Favre stories if anyone wants to hear them.

33. I think we can all agree on 2 things:

1. Green Bay Packer Brett Favre was pure gold. One of the true greats. After he left, he somewhat tainted his legacy, but that brings me to my second point.

2. Real Packers fans weren’t mad that he signed with the Vikings. We pitied him for sinking that low.