Woody Johnson is raising his sons like Trump, with one caveat

Getty Images

Woody Johnson, whose active ownership of the Jets has been interrupted by his appointment to serve as the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom, typically doesn’t say much. He has recently said something fairly significant.

“I have two little boys and we’re raising them just like Donald Trump,” Johnson said, via Jane McManus.

But Johnson applied one caveat: “Not the hair.” (Annnnd Woody will soon be available to run the Jets again.)

In Woody’s absence, his brother, Christopher, has been handling the duties of managing the franchise. And Christopher recently broke with his colleagues by explaining that he’ll pay the fines imposed on the team for players who choose to protest during the anthem, without passing those fines on to the players.

His nephews may have an issue with that, if Woody’s parenting skills are taking root.

77 responses to “Woody Johnson is raising his sons like Trump, with one caveat

1. Thank you Woody, you are helping to Make America Great Again as well.
    Everyone in America should raise their sons like Donald Trump.
    Soon this league will be great again with great owners like Woody, Clark hunt, Bob McNair,and Jerry Jones working with Trump.
    Plans should start to begin, to add Mr. Trump to Mount Rushmore.
    Trump will go down as the GOAT of Presidents

2. Ferdinand says:
    July 6, 2018 at 8:36 pm
    Wait – he wants his sons to rampant liars and bigots???
    ****************************************************
    He said he is raising his sons like TRUMP, not Obama or Hillary.

3. Yeah! A man who mocks women being open and honest about assault and harassment through the #MeToo movement will make a great romodel for young boys!

4. I support Trump and I’ll vote for him again in 2020…and I sure as heck wouldnt want any of my boys to turn out like him. Pro-American is fine and dandy, but without true morality to go along with it you will still have to lose when it comes time to answer for your sins.

5. Why wouldn’t billionaires want to raise billionaires? Only problem, they have no idea what it’s like for the other 99 1/2 % of the rest of us. You know, the real world.

6. I hope his brother bankrupts the franchise paying fines for kneeling players. Just keep MAGA!

7. Heck even a homeless person would be a better role model than the orange man.
    I have always been neutral about the Jets, now it’s decided.

8. arwiv
    Jul 6, 2018, 8:48 PM EDT
    ———————————————————————

True words. I appreciate the honesty. Very rarely do you find someone in a political talk that is willing to admit the person they support isn’t perfect.

9. He`s laughing at the middle class and the poor with a comment like that. someday there will be another civil war in this country over the ridiculous inequity of the distribution of wealth. its not going to be pretty.

10. What, a billionaire wants to raise his kids like Trump? I get it if he means raising them with a silver spoon in the mouth. Otherwise, he better hope his kids don’t take over the business unless they want bankruptcy and can only find a willing Russian bank to do business with…

11. Hope that his sons grow up better than that. And not be like the rich brats like the Trump children. But as humble human beings.

12. vottorific says:
    July 6, 2018 at 8:50 pm
    Why wouldn’t billionaires want to raise billionaires?
    ===============================

You don’t know if Trump is really a billionaire because he won’t release his income taxes. Why it that?

13. I’m conservative but I fail to see how anyone can support that guy just cause he maintains similar conservative views when he clearly has no moral foundation. I could even live with the infidelity, but the guy lies every day and openly admitted on tape to sexual assault – that ain’t making America great again.

14. Compatible putzes.Johnson inherited his money and has questionable abilities to run a team. Same as Trump in the White House.

15. He wants his sons to be spoiled babies born with silver spoons in their mouths? Sounds about right.

The stupidification of America is in full swing.

16. Woody get the boys their little blue suits and their red ties.They’ll grow to hate taxes, love their own wallet, and despise unions and working people.

17. He wants them to be hard working people that stand up for their country like our President. Sounds good to real Americans.

Sorry Francis, but real Americans aren’t cowards, liars, bigots and bullies……..watching Fox News won’t teach you that.

Woody is not the model of a successful NFL owner…….fact!

18. tfootball1234 says:

—————————————————

Why do these communists think wealth should be distributed equally?

Some people work harder than others.
    Some people are more intelligent than others.
    Some people are more talented at certain things than others (including playing football).
    Some people are more law-abiding than others.

If there’s going to be a civil war in this country, it’ll be because of an ultra-left socialist government taking wealth away from people who’ve earned it and giving it to those who haven’t earned it.

19. As if we didn’t need more fuel to hate the Jets. Enjoy your season in the cellar.

20. I’m conservative and I don’t want my son to turn out like Trump. His ego and lack of empathy are clearly not things to admire. I voted for him because the alternative was Hillary Clinton, who not only is a socialist, but an awful human being. The evidence of that is clear and convincing.

21. Way to take a fathers comment about his sons and twist it over to a jab about the way the NFL is handling the protests. That was like that six degress of Kevin Bacon game.

22. I’m conservative and I don’t want my son to turn out like Trump. His ego and lack of empathy are clearly not things to admire. I voted for him because the alternative was Hillary Clinton, who not only is a socialist, but an awful human being. The evidence of that is clear and convincing.

I am a realist who is dumbfounded that you think a habitual lying bigot is less awful than Hillary. Hopefully you don’t have a children to misguide like Woody is doing. We have enough villages with too many idiots.

23. Why do these communists think wealth should be distributed equally?

Some people work harder than others.
    Some people are more intelligent than others.
    Some people are more law-abiding than others.

——————–

Because obviously anyone who wants to address our gilded age level inequality and prevent continued destruction of the middle class is a communist.

24. Stay In England Woody. We are better off without you. Your brother seems much more evolved as an owner and a human being. Cheerio

25. snakeplisken83 says:
    July 7, 2018 at 1:32 pm
    Why do these communists think wealth should be distributed equally?

Some people work harder than others.
    Some people are more intelligent than others.
    Some people are more law-abiding than others.

——————–

———————
    Whatever, either way they are not a realist. In todays world if having wealth inside the US will get it taken for redistribution those with that wealth will simply move it outside the country where its protected from that. And if business dealings inside the country get attacked they will move that business outside the country too. So if you want there to be wealthy people doing their business where it can be of benefit to other Americans you do have to leave that as being the more profitable choice for them.

26. Art of the crowd says:

—————————————-

Get real. The wealthy will never leave. They have a $600 billion PER YEAR military looking after their money, most of which was obtained thru corruption. By the way, $600 billion annual budget for a military is more than the next 7 highest spending countries combined. Maybe you believe your own silliness, but I doubt it. You can’t be that dumb.

27. bannedfromchoirpractice says:
    July 7, 2018 at 4:53 pm
    Art of the crowd says:

—————————————-

——————-
    But the argument voiced in the comments I was replying to was that it was going to be taken away from them and redistributed. How can you argue that they would leave it here because its so protected while at the same time say its going to be taken away from them and redistributed?

28. vaphinfan says:
    July 6, 2018 at 8:36 pm

It’s President Trump.

========================

He’s as much president to me, as Obama was president to your.

Well, almost as much anyway. Obama actually won the popular vote (twice). You know, he was elected by the PEOPLE.

29. ironsides says:
    July 7, 2018 at 5:18 pm
    vaphinfan says:
    July 6, 2018 at 8:36 pm

It’s President Trump.

========================

He’s as much president to me, as Obama was president to you.

———————————-

30. @Liberalsruineverything….You bet there`s gonna be alot of squealing come november. right from the mouth of our fearless leader. voter fraud ! illegal`s voted ! the systems rigged !

31. Liberalsruineverything says:
    July 7, 2018 at 5:44 pm

The President speaks and losers squeal. Great entertainment. More squealing on the way this fall. Can’t wait LOL!

————————

Making Russia great again is embarrassing.

32. tfootball1234 says:
    July 7, 2018 at 6:54 pm

——–

The only squealing I have heard has come for the Left, the media and those who believed Hillary should just be coronated….and it hasn’t stopped since election night

33. tfootball1234 says:
    July 7, 2018 at 6:54 pm
    ————————————

Now that there is some high end squealing!! Suuuuuueeeeeey! Lol

34. Liberalsruineverything says:
    July 6, 2018 at 8:59 pm
    ——-
    ‘stand up for the country like the president’?
    Even though he is a lying, cowardly, draft-dodger, I’ll bet the moron could sell his losers some tales of his war-time heroics….and the hillbillys would eat it up with a spoon!

35. Art of the crowd says:

—————————————–

The disingenuous part of your argument is that redistribution of wealth and income happens all the time. Name one rich person that has ever moved out of the country because their taxes went up. Name one. I’ll be waiting.

36. Absolutely true. And I always embraced Obama as my president even when I did not agree with a lot if his devisions. I stuck to that even when I was having to struggle harder to take care of my family. I never once got into committing my days looking for potshots I could take at him or in any way seek to undermine him. For better or worse I supported him right up to the day he left office because to do otherwise would simply make me bad for America. I dont see how anyone can wish to see any president fail ehen you consider what that would mean for the country. Even if its not the president you wanted I think you need to take a step back and ask whats more important to you really. Or at least what should be.

************************************

I felt the same about George W. Bush. His lolitics didn’t align with mine, but he always thought he was doing what was best for the whole country.

Our current president however, has made it explicitly clear that he is only representing those who voted for him, and still supoirt him. He does not act on behalf of America or all Americans, only those on his “team.” He’s absolute poison and can’t be gone soon enough.

37. aj66shanghai says:
    July 7, 2018 at 9:29 pm

************************************

————

38. Ask Woody’s his dead daughter who killed herself to get away from him about his parentlng skills.

39. I dont recall him ever saying what you claim. I think thats just one of those nonsense narratives made up by his opponents who just get harder up for criticisms. Lets face it, things have gotten better accross the board. There has been a visible shift in nanufacturing moving to or stayimg in the US rather than going overseas. Other countries are no longer punking us on trade agreements so money is staying in the UD. So jobs are up. The per capita wealth has had an accross the board increase at all income levels. Retail levels have increased and showing that more americans are finding dispoanke income in their budgets. Thats why your justification why you think its a right thing to do to spend your days taking potshots and undermining the country as a means to undermine the president. In the end thats what his opponents are doing and my point remains that no matter what excuse you want to make up for yourself, you still need to decide if your hatred for a man should really overshadow your love of your country. Thats the real point here are the messed up priorities of the partisan sore losers.
    ———————————————————————

I can tell you living in a state that did not go for trump none of what you said is true here. His tax cut has hurt and will continue to hurt people in my state severely. Jobs have not come back. The jobs that have been created are all minimum wage jobs and are more for high school kids. The trade wars are already having an effect and it is only going to get worse.
    I give credit where credit is due though. Unemployment is the lowest it has been in quite some time and jobs have been created. Kudos to the president there. conservatives have trouble doing the same though . They never give President Obama credit for what he did. The fact remains that what trumps presidency has done is continue a trend that has existed for almost 10 years now. Trumps time in office has not seen growth like Obama’s. The percentage of jobs created went up much more significantly under Obama. Unemployment rate dropped much more drastically under Obama. Unfortunately for this country and Trump this bubble has to break sometime. When it does either he or his successor will get the blame.
    I love this country more than any politician or president. To idolize any of these people is foolish but to demonize them is as well, on both sides. While I agree with president Trump in very little, I still will not criticize him just for being a republican or because he isn’t on my side. At the same time, the conservative push to demonize Hillary Clinton is unbelievable. While I did not vote for her in the primary (I did in the general), I don’t think she is a terrible person or a monster. Tribalism is the biggest problem in this world (well maybe overpopulation is) and it needs to stop.

40. Art of the crowd says:
    July 8, 2018 at 8:47 am
    ==========================

The Kool-Aid yo drink has drowned your brain cells. Trump has said everything on that post and acted in accordance with it. Your assumption that not supporting Trump is going against our country is absurd. Support bigotry? Disenfranchisement of Americans? Destruction of the environment? Adding a minimum of $1.7 TRILLION to the national debt? More and bigger budget deficits than ever before? Pathological lying?

Wow dude, You sure have a strange way of looking at what “supporting America” means.

41. sabi52 says:
    July 8, 2018 at 11:22 am

——————————————

President Trump is correcting the federal subsidies given to high taxed states. Individuals were allowed to deduct state and local taxes from federal taxes in those states. That means the low taxed states were picking up the slack. Now living in high tax states you will be getting your “fairness” and “equality” that the politicians you vote for always preach about.
    “Elections have consequences”. — President Barrack Obama 2009

42. That comment is just incorrect. I live in a state that contributes more to the federal government and the lower 25 states than the entire lower 25 states combined. Please understand that the states which benefitted the most from president Trumps tax break are part of the lower 25 and are welfare states (receive more from the federal government than they contribute). They are the ones that got the benefits in a completely unfair system. I am not complaining because I do not want to move out of my state because I love it. Just pointing out facts and how your argument is dead wrong. The states that see the most benefit from the Tax break happen to be the ones that supported trump in the election and that benefit will only keep up for 2 years until the break expires for middle and lower class. The real beneficiaries when we get down to it are the super wealthy and corporations. I agree, elections do matter, but let’s not also forget the fact that the majority of people in this country did not vote for Donald trump.

43. Liberalsruineverything says:
    July 8, 2018 at 12:30 pm

======================================================================

Wow, hard to believe your lack of understanding as to where the feds get their tax revenue is astounding and demonstrates unsurpassed ignorance.

NY, NJ, CT, CAL, TX and IL generate more than 70% of the tax revenue collected by washington. The “low taxed states” weren’t;t doing much of anything except collecting a welfare check. The funniest part is all those welfare recipients are going to seetheir welfare check go up in smoke when the higher payments evaporate in two years. The welfare check Trump gave to the 1%ers os permanent. The one he gave to his base will vanish. The other laughable part is comments like yours make it clear Trump really did know how incredibly stupid his base was. He hasn’t stopped laughing at people like you since he first decided to run for office. Astounding that anyone smart enough o use a keyboard could believe what you wrote.

44. snakeplisken83 says:
    July 7, 2018 at 1:32 pm
    Why do these communists think wealth should be distributed equally?

Some people work harder than others.
    Some people are more intelligent than others.
    Some people are more law-abiding than others.

========================================================
    Darn Snake for a minute I thought you were talking about the tax changes. You know the ones where the Republican from the welfare states took the money from the hard working people in states where they make money and pay taxes – work harder than others, are more intelligent than others,more talented at certain things than others ad more law-abiding than others. You know NY-NJ-TX- CAL-IL-CT-MA -OH, the states that pay AMERICA’s bills and debts. You know, not MISS, ALA, LA, KY, ID, NEV. Better yet is how they fooled people like you with a stinking tiny payoff that will lat no more than three years.

Now lets stop the funny stuff and let me ask you something – did you really believe they were going to make your life better and give you money? Do you really believe it is okay to take other people’s hard earned wealth and give to lazy hillbillies and rednecks because that’s exactly what you are saying you believe in.