Case Keenum was honored that a Hall of Fame quarterback wanted him

Getty Images

Case Keenum was never a highly sought commodity in his NFL career. He entered the league as an undrafted free agent, has been cut twice, once got traded for a seventh-round draft pick, and finally became a starter last year because two other quarterbacks were hurt.

So when Keenum became a free agent this offseason and a Hall of Fame quarterback in John Elway wanted to make him the Broncos’ starter, he finally felt like he’d made it.

“When my phone rang and it was John Elway telling me to come sign with the Broncos, it feels pretty good, especially as a kid growing up an Elway fan,” Keenum said on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via Nicki Jhabvala of The Athletic. “We actually talked first when I got to Denver. It was great. Walking into his office there and it’s John Elway behind the desk. It’s Big John. He’s definitely a presence, obviously one of the greats that ever played the game. There’s a lot of tradition and history there, and a lot of it is because of him. It’s a cool atmosphere, a cool organization, and I’m just happy to be a part of it.”

The last time Elway signed a free agent to be the Broncos’ starting quarterback, he hit a home run with Peyton Manning. It may not be realistic to think Keenum can have that kind of success in Denver, but Elway is confident he’s found the right man again — and Keenum appreciates a Hall of Famer having confidence in him.

63 responses to “Case Keenum was honored that a Hall of Fame quarterback wanted him

1. As a Viking fan, I have this overwhelming feeling that they are gonna regret letting him go. Best of luck Case Keenum, you are a class act.

2. Real classy guy, brings a lot of energy to the team which has shown during his time in Denver thus far. Not sure who would root against him, he’s been a huge underdog since he’s been in the NFL. I think if you give him all the opportunities he needs (practice with the starters) up until Week 1, he might surprise you.

3. Like Zimmer said “He has balls”. Keenum is a fearless leader and has a little Flutie in his game. He has to play mistake free football though to keep his team in games. His arm is limited which shortens the field for a defense. A quality starter no doubt but he will only get you so far.

4. I think if you give him all the opportunities he needs (practice with the starters) up until Week 1, he might surprise you.
    _____

He didn’t practice with the starters until Week 2 last year and it turned out pretty well.

5. As a Viking fan, I’m really excited to see how Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, and Cousins perform this year. They’re all talented quarterbacks and great people so I hope they all do well. A Vikings-Broncos Super Bowl would be very cool.

6. I think for the money paid to Cousins, Keenum was the better deal.
    Good luck in Denver.

Oh…and a Gumby troll posting on an old Viking’s player for the second post. You know. The kind of Gumby fans who complain about Vikings posting on Gumby stories.

7. Before he feels too honored he should consider that HoF quarterback also wanted Kaepernick, Osweiler and Lynch too

Exactly. Elways and Denver are operating from a place of pure QB desperation at this point. Keenum played pretty well last year and Denver was able to offer him the most money. This wasn’t Elways saying “I admire you, young man! Come play for a winner!” It was Elway saying “can you complete more than 50% of your passes? You’re hired! And what’s your name again???”

8. Elway could have drafted Josh Rosen but he wants to protect his legacy in Denver. Remember when Tebow started to break Elway’s records? He shipped him out of town. Tebow took Denver to the playoffs and won a game his first year as a starter. Tebow had more game winning drives than Elway’s first year. Elway’s first year he went 4-6, 7 TDs, 14 picks, 47.5% completion.

Josh Rosen likely would have broken all of Elway’s records and Elway knew that. His ego is too fragile so he passed on him. Best of luck Denver dealing with Elway and his ego.

9. I like case but my last memory of him as a Viking is throwing that horrendous interception in the nfc championship game. Let’s stop acting like the guy was Drew Brees. He had interceptions last year that were really poor decisions. And let’s be honest, that pass to Diggs against the Saints should have been picked off. And two others like it should have been picked off because the ball was floating/sailing. An elite safety grabs those passes with ease.

10. He should do well out in Denver.

Much better than with the Vikings. It turns out if you hurt their CB they look like a high school squad. No QB could overcome their defense giving up so many points.

11. tokyosandblaster says:
    July 13, 2018 at 1:19 pm
    He should do well out in Denver.

There’s another team that more closely resembled a high school squad after one player went down. They actually weren’t in the playoffs.

12. The Vikings will regret letting Keenum go. But its in keeping with the Viking’s Qb tradition, if there is a decision to made, a fork in the road where you have to choose one or the other, the Vikings have consistently made the wrong choice. And this Keenum vs Cousins decision is just the latest chapter.

13. As a Packers fan, I’m glad they let Keenum go and invested all their money in a QB that’s not much better.

14. Case reminds Elway of himself when he was younger. Well, in his early 30s at least. Except Keenum is a lot smaller, much less athletic, doesn’t have a strong arm, and has had a mediocre career so far. Also, he is not handsome.

15. Keenum will be back to QB2 in 2019. In the Mile High air, his balls will really float!! I think Denver finishes last in that division and the HC is done after the yr.

16. d9533 says:
    July 13, 2018 at 1:28 pm
    ——-
    Friend, I assume you mean the Packers. Yes, they lost a league MVP at the most important position in the sport, but they never got it handed to them as badly as the Vikings did in the playoffs. In fact, I can’t remember if they ever have. That was historically bad, especially with a chance to play a home Super Bowl on the line.
    Historically. Bad.

17. Still not sure how to feel about the move at QB. Keenum was incredible last year and he’s got charisma. I dont think he can maintain last year’s level going forward, but I wouldnt bet money on it.

Cousins was the smart choice, but he cost too much and he’s missing that swagger/confidence/”it factor” that Keenum has.

18. tokyosandblaster says:
    July 13, 2018 at 2:33 pm

d9533 says:
    July 13, 2018 at 1:28 pm
    ——-
    Historically. Bad.
    _________

Let me take you all the way back to January 22, 2017. The Packers fell behind the Falcons 31-0 in the third quarter before they started scoring garbage time points in an eventual 44-21 defeat in the NFC championship game.

Broncos fans, do you see what we have to deal with?

19. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:

Broncos fans, do you see what we have to deal with?

——

Hey, buddy!

I feel like scoring 21 points is better than 7. Even in garbage time, the Vikings couldn’t do anything. Literally nothing.

I understand your frustration, and I’m here for you. Vent all you want. 56 years of never achieving greatness has turned you sour.

I stand by what I’ve said, though. The difference between the Packers without Rodgers and the Vikings without Rhodes wasn’t much…and if anything, the Vikings looked worse than the Packers.

Be well!

20. The packer lost to the Redskins 26-3 back around 72.

The packers also had the most epic choke job in nfccg history losing to the Seahawks in OT after being up 12 with under 5 minutes to go.

Why are you posting about playoff losses again?

That doesn’t even count letting slllloooowww Fitzgerald run through your defense.

GFY, buddy.

21. Congratulations. Aaron Rodgers is a better garbage time quarterback in conference championship games than Case Keenum. You must be so proud that your team bravely fought back to only lose the game by 23 points to the eventual Super Bowl loser after they didn’t show up for the first two and a half quarters.

Remember when Packer fans used to brag about championships?

22. mnsportsapologist says:
    July 13, 2018 at 12:20 pm

==========================================================

As a fellow Viking fan, I have the same sinking feeling. Hope I’m wrong, but either way I’ll be rooting for Keenum’s success in Denver.

23. Wish Case all the best! And come on Tokyo, you’re better than the crap above — usually you at least provide humor with green/gold tinged logic.

24. Why are you posting about playoff losses again?
    ——–
    Did you see the Packer’s season last year? The Viking loss in the NFCCG was the highlight of their season last year. And with that same garbage roster coming back this year and big Mike declaring this year a year one rebuild that is all they currently have. That is why.

25. purpleguy says:
    July 13, 2018 at 3:39 pm

——

You are right. I’ve just been a little more jaded recently. I took a couple months off to find Vikes trolls running rampant.

I look forward to the rivalry this year. I’ll be at both games, probably intoxicated by halftime.

26. billtetley53 says:
    July 13, 2018 at 3:26 pm
    The packer lost to the Redskins 26-3 back around 72.
    Why are you posting about playoff losses again?
    GFY, buddy.

—–

After you, chief!

27. Same old Viking trolls still discussing their jealousy of the Packers. Only thing new is this time the article has nothing to do with the queens or the Pack. Downright amazing job queen fans. You set the bar where nobody can touch it with your amazing ability to not let the Packers out of your mind. Keep it up. Much love – from Titletown.

28. We shall see. I don’t have much faith in either Keenum or Cousins. They are just the best available journeymen.

29. d9533 says:
    July 13, 2018 at 5:26 pm
    lol @ Packer fans who can’t even troll correctly. HISTORICALLY BAD would be 41-0. Do better.

—-

Friend, that was a long time ago. I don’t like to dwell on the Vikings previous ineptitude, especially when their most recent game provides such a glaring example.

30. @tokyosandblaster

Friend, may I suggest a different word than “historically” if you are averse to dwelling on the past? Words are hard though, especially given the trajectory of the Wisconsin public school system.

31. Oh, we we go……..the Viking trolls will soon start talking about their Opera, and Museums, and Theaters, and Ballet, and Symphony, and Libraries, and those tall buildings. Yes, don’t forget the tall buildings.

None of these venues have been visited by your typical Viking troll in their lives, but it’s the only ammunition they have to fight with.

32. billtetley53 says:
    July 13, 2018 at 4:43 pm
    Hope you dont wanna watch. If you do, stellar is into that(I heard).
    —-
    Remember when Stella came in here and told everyone he would pay to watch me and Clay Matthews?

33. Redundant. What?! Nobody has a clue what you are even talking about. Again with absolutely nothing pertinent to add to the topic.

Posting just post for attention, good or bad.(How sad).

Hey, Tokyo is interested in watching one of your shows.

Kudos on no 70s pr 80s TV shows though!

34. Patriots were dumb not to sign him. They have nobody left after Tammy Steroids retires. Unless of course you think their terrible defense will save the day.

35. Don’t really get the hatred in this thread as a Vikings fan. Case played extremely well for us and was bummed to see him go. However, when was the last time the Vikings had a franchise QB who stayed around for awhile? Ponder was too terrible to keep, Teddy got hurt, and Bradford was obviously going to get hurt at some point. The problem with Keenum was that he was a journey man QB that had one great year. He was a huge gamble while Cousins has put up multiple pro bowl caliber seasons. In the end, I’m happy to see Keenum get paid. I only wish him the best.

36. Vikings fan here.

Thank you Case for the magical season, no bad words to say about the guy. Overachiever and class act all the way, and the kid can play.

I’m hopeful that Cousins can take our offense to the next level, but Case was definitely not a weakness. Broncos definitely upgraded under center.

37. I’ve got to give credit to Case Keenum for doing his homework. He realizes that Elway has an irresistible soft spot for boot-lickers (either players or the HC). That’ll buy him at least a few seasons in Denver regardless of his performance level as starting QB.

38. @tokyosandblaster

——-

“Historically bad” doesn’t mean worst ever, little one! “Historically the worst” would have meant that. Your most recent game was a historically bad failure, looking at the context of all playoff games ever played. But It’s ok. Your IQ is lower than your age, so I’ll just correct you to help you for the future, friend!

39. Historically bad is losing the nfccg up 12 with less than 5 minutes to go.

Why are you even talking about playoff chokes with that tank job on your teams resume?

Nothing will EVER top that fiasco, nothing.

40. Ask yourself why the cheezers would post on a story about an ex-Minnesota QB who now plays for Denver? Is it his 2-0 record against Green Bay? Nah, can’t be. Packers don’t dwell on the past.

I’m a Keenum fan. Case represent what I like most about the NFL. He wasn’t supposed to, but did.