Tony Romo predicts Packers-Jaguars in Super Bowl LIII

Getty Images

Tony Romo already said the Packers “probably got better maybe more than any team I saw this offseason.” He apparently really believes in the team he grew up a fan of.

The former Cowboys quarterback was asked for a Super Bowl LIII prediction when he appeared on the NFL Network this week. Romo will call the big game for CBS in February.

Romo paused and expressed concern at a preseason prediction, but nonetheless relented and made a pick.

Romo, who earned praise for his play-calling predictions last season in his first season as an analyst, will look like a genius if the Packers and Jaguars end up in Atlanta. On the other hand, it’s probably forgotten if he’s wrong.

Romo said he liked the addition of tight end Jimmy Graham to the Packers offense and the changes to the defense and called Jacksonville “strong everywhere.” He did, however, couch his choice of the Jaguars with a reminder that the AFC title usually goes through New England.

“You can never count out New England,” Romo said. “As long as Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are breathing, the easy pick is them.”

125 responses to “Tony Romo predicts Packers-Jaguars in Super Bowl LIII

1. If Tony Romo knew anything about football he would be winning Super Bowls instead of predicting them.

2. I remember when the Packers team president declared super bowl victory last summer that would occur at US Bank stadium….

3. For transparency, I have been a Bear fan since they played in Wrigley Field and remember being there for games.

My problem is I just can’t get all the love for the Packers winning it all every year. Yes, Aaron Rodgers is and will be the best QB, at least in the NFC, until the day he retires. Outside of that, c’mon … they are average.

The defense has been nothing special even when they have won the Super Bowl with Favre and Rodgers. Very good yes. Bears or Ravens world champs good; never remotely close. When they have lost Rodgers they have been toast.

For what it’s worth the Bears have gotten way too much kudos this off season. I’m not buying the hype but I do expect them to be more competitive then under Fox. We’ll see what happens in the next couple of years.

Cowboys are the same deal. Why the Packers and Cowboys continually get over rated as preseason favorites is beyond me. Sometimes I think NFL marketing machine puts this crap out for Romo and others to spread so their ratings will go up.

Let’s get this season started!

4. You can count the Jaguars out of the SB. Last year they had arguably the easiest schedule in the NFL (the other team most in the running was the Rams, who were also overrated), and it made them look MUCH better than they were. Watch the Jaguars be a better team this year but finish with a worse record.

5. Green Bay? Not sure they’re the best team in their own division there Tony. They’ll do better with a healthy offensive line. The McCray kid did a great job playing all over the place last season for them. Heck, I think they won a game playing without any tackles early in the year. That said, Bulaga isn’t even healthy yet and the Eagles played without their franchise left tackle.

NFC teams much scarier to me would be Eagles, Vikings, Rams and maybe the Saints. I hadn’t even thought of the Packers. Feels like he’s trying to be cute, and I like Tony a lot, so I’m not trying to put him down.

6. Nearly every major NFL channel, commentator, writer and reporter has picked the Packers to make at LEAST one Super Bowl over the past 7 seasons…

And just like Marino, Rodgers went to one early in his career and hasn’t returned since!
    Yes cheeseheads, unlike Marino, A-Rod won a title
    But considering your beloved Pack’ has only 2 titles over the past 50 seasons, is only one title by Rodgers enough for his career?
    Enough to be an all-time top-5 QB?
    How many 1-title QBs can there be in the top-5 all-time? Since Brees has one title too and will finish with better career passing stats than Rodgers…unless Rodgers plays until he’s 50 years old

7. I’m going to laugh so hard when GB finishes behind Minnesota and possibly Detroit in the NFC North again. At least they can beat the Bears.

8. “Oh, if I had to pick right now?” he said, via the CBS website. “It’s pretty early. The thing about the NFL is things change pretty fast. Injuries happen. A lot of stuff happens. If I was picking right now, I’d probably go with. . . . I’d probably go with Green Bay vs. Jacksonville. I think that would be just a tentative rough guess here in the summer months.”

This reads like Romo was caught off guard by this question. For example, the first thing he says is that it is simply too early to pick the teams that will play in the Super Bowl. And he’s right. Injuries do happen. Just look at the Packers, Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone early in the 2017 season. Without Rodgers leading the way, the Packers had no chance. Then in 2016, Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota suffered broken legs in late December, that squashed any chance of a post season run for the Raiders or Titans respectively.

And then in the 2016 Postseason, Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell suffered injuries against the Bengals in the wild card game. Such injuries left them at a disadvantage against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Broncos in the Divisional Round. So at the end of the day, winning in January and February requires a little bit of luck with the injury bug.

(The Eagles are an anomaly. What they accomplished is impressive. Nick Foles came in and helped them win a Super Bowl. Jeff Hostetler also led the Giants to a Super Bowl win as a backup quarterback.)

9. It figures bad back Tony would pick a guy whose collarbone is held together with duct tape and prayers to make the Superbowl.

This blowhard is going to call the Superbowl too? Thank god for mute buttons and radios, hes horrid.

10. I could see Walt Coleman and company escorting a casket with a hole in it for Tom Brady’s arm drilled in it for throwing passes. Pass interference calls all the way down the field…

11. There once was a man name Tony,
    Who was adept at saying baloney.
    The Cowboys always sucked,
    With injuries he ran out of luck,
    With this prediction he’s all a-lone-ee.

12. Despite playing for the hated Cowboys, I always respected Romo as a QB, and he seemed like a good and humble dude in interviews and whatnot. Now as an analyst/color guy, though, he almost immediately became my favorite of all the current broadcasters. He really does provide a fresh take on in-game situations that is so much more insightful than anyone in the game today. I hope he quickly becomes more well-known as an analyst for many decades to come and future generations don’t even realize that he was once such a competent QB.

13. Hey, I’m a Packers’ fan since birth – grew up on Lombardi and the boys. Live in NE Wisconsin and all that stuff. I hope Tony is right but truthfully, I just don’t see it. The Pack are installing a new defensive system and there are going to be growing pains in that process – although I can’t see it being any more painful than what we witnessed the last 7 seasons.

I choose to be cautiously pessimistic on the Pack’s Super Bowl chances, but I am really looking forward to this season – I’m praying for a REAL defense. I firmly believe that until proven otherwise, the Vikings are the team to beat again this year but even THAT is jumping the gun. The Pack open against the Bears. Beating the Bears is the Super Bowl to legacy Packers’ fans so, let’s start there shall we?

As for Romo — I wish Fox would swoop in and take him from CBS. He is a bang up color guy that we’ll only get a couple times a year.

14. Eagles won’t repeat, only because no NFC team does. Vikings will regress with cousins, rams have a lot of good players, it depends on chemistry, Phillips is a good D coordinator. Packers have improved it all depends on Rodgers staying healthy and how much Pettine improves the defense, but he will improve that defense

15. If the Jaguars have to go through Pitt they are a lock for the SB, if they have to go through NE I don’t think Bortles can get the job done.

16. The pressure is on the Vikings. If they don’t win it after spending all that money, the nation will be laughing.

17. Smart man, that Romo. I think the opinion of a professional that earns his living assessing NFL football teams is worth more than Packer-hating trolls. No debate there.

18. vikingjack73 says:
    July 14, 2018 at 12:31 am
    ………………………………………………………………………………..

A fan of the Minnesota team using the word “only” when describing the number of titles another team has?

19. kd75 says:

=====================================================

So by your standard you’ve admitted you know nothing about football.

20. milkcan44 says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:07 am

/////////////////////////////

Until Rodgers signs his cap busting contract . Then the laughter of the nation will be on the pack.

21. I actually think Pack will surprise teams this year. First time they’ve been an underdog in a while. Tons of offseason changes, but the biggest one that no one is talking about is adding Mike Pettine as D coordinator. Guy has always had top 10 defenses, and Pack has a lot of talent on defense…it’s just their old scheme was worn out and predictable. Arod + a top 10 defense is scary, especially when adding Jimmy Graham to red zone and best stable of running backs they’ve had in a while

22. I always find it so amusing watching the Barney’s heads collectively explode whenever their favorite team is left out of any given conversation.
    Now they’ll focus their bitter, angry venom on Tony Romo for merely giving his opinion.
    Which in reality, and as he quantified, means next to nothing at this point. Offseason and all that.
    But it won’t stop those butthurt feelings though.

23. If Pats don’t play their best, I can see Jags edging Steelers (as they did last Jan). Pack aren’t any better – Rodgers’ iffy clavicle & other changes (Jordy Nelson gone) nullify adds like Jimmy Graham – anyway their D needs huge help. I say Rams or Eagles. Pats win, Brady & Belichick retire.

24. mandcdad says:
    July 14, 2018 at 8:38 am
    Does anyone else thinks he talks TOO MUCH during a broadcast?

——–
    Yep. He’s a likable sort of guy and does offer some salient points during a broadcast. But his insights are often lost because he never shuts up. And he’s a bit of a master of the obvious.

25. I don’t think the Jags even win their division.

They took advantage of a weak division and a weak 4th place schedule last year. Even last year, their defense started slowing down towards the end of the year. BB had a good playoff run and was much better last year than ever before, but I still think BB and the Jags offense is far from a “good” offense that is capable of winning games.

If the defense isn’t dominating like they were in the first half of last year, this is an 8-8 team.

26. A-Aron is batting .500 in the playoffs for his career. It over. You had 2010. Favre went to more SB. Foles, Flacco, Dilfer, and Brad Johnson are tied with A-aron.

27. Somebody said something good about the Pack and every Viking fan loses his mind. Typical. Ariani didn’t get any sleep at all last night. Shame on you guys!

28. flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:41 am

———————-

Rodgers’ contract will likely be for a few million more than what Cousin’s is. That being the case, the better value will clearly be Rodgers, especially when you consider it will likely not be fully guaranteed.

29. tqaztec says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:26 am
    __________________

Actually Rodgers’ postseason record is 10-7.
    Coupled with the fact that you obviously judge His quarterbacking skill set with the likes of Foles, Flacco, Dilfer and B. Johnson should further exclude anyone from taking any future football opinions from you seriously.

30. binkystevens says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:42 am
    . Arod + a top 10 defense is scary

////////////////////

You are right binky, but you do realize for the pack to sniff the top ten D they would have to leapfrog the likes of the Rams, Chargers, Saints, Texans, Ravens and the Seahawks. You have changed DC and added unproven defensive players. Nothing wrong with hoping and praying but it’s kinda like putting lipstick on a pig.

31. beerbratscheese says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:31 am
    flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:41 am

———————-

//////////////////////////

Absolutely the better value in Rodgers, not my point. My point is when the pack drops all that cash on one player the pack better win the Super Bowl, or they will be the laughing stock of the nation. Isn’t that what your fellow pack troll milkcan said about Cousins?

32. flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:52 am
    binkystevens says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:42 am
    . Arod + a top 10 defense is scary

////////////////////

—————–

Pretty much exactly like the 2015 Vikings.

Pettine’s scheme is proven to be successful and it’s simple. Wilkerson will be motivated for at least this coming season. Tramon Williams played at a high level last year, and no reason to think he won’t this year. Three of the Packers defensive draft picks missed most or all of preseason last year, and only played half the regular season due to injuries. The Packers essentially have two years worth of draft picks looking to add something this year. No guarantee’s, but I’m going to be a “glass half full” guy about the defense this year.

33. beerbratscheese says:
    July 14, 2018 at 11:00 am
    flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:52 am
    binkystevens says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:42 am
    . Arod + a top 10 defense is scary

////////////////////

—————–

////////////////////////

I went to school at UECW. I tended bar on Water Street to pay for food and rent. I never seen a packer fan glass half full, usually the glass was empty and pack fan face planted in a bowl of pork rinds.

34. tokyosandblaster says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:54 am
    The laughter is already on the Vikings.

How many seasons and not one time winning it all? That’s literally pathetic.
    __________________

I know, right?
    57 years as a franchise darling, and with all those great teams. (Seriously, just ask their fans. They’ll tell you!)
    You’d think after all that greatness and all those opportunities they’d have won one by now. Just one.
    Heck! You’d almost think they’d have won one by accident by now.

35. flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 11:08 am

——————-

1) It’s probably because you look at Packers’ fans with BS colored glasses.
    2) If you say you went to school, and then follow it it up with grammar as poor as the rest of your post, I’m going to say you should have probably paid more attention.

36. beerbratscheese says:
    July 14, 2018 at 11:21 am
    flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 11:08 am

——————-

1) It’s probably because you look at Packers’ fans with BS colored glasses.
    //////////////////////////

No one likes the grammar police. My apologies, I will proof read all my posts going forward. But come on, if I brought up all of pack fans writing skills it would be quite embarrassing for the education system of Wisconsin. My favorite is below. “new”, knew. “werth” worth. I guess only 25% of statement is incorrect, not bad. Wisconsin education, you cannot beat it.
    //////////////////////////////////////

I new it! I new this guy would not be werth the $$$

37. The Packers made instant upgrades on both sides of the ball this offseason. The Jaguars made a couple upgrades, but also lost a step or two in a few positions.

I can get behind the Packers running the NFC, but the Jaguars won’t be there this season.

38. After an NFCC game in which they were totally humiliated,unable to score even in garbage time, and paying big money for a QB that was snubbed by the team he was the face off, all the pressure is on the Vikings.
    And Kirk Cousins. I actually think Cousins will rise to the challenge, he’s a street fighter. But his line is suspect, and the defense was shown by the Saints and the Eagles to be less than advertised, and they know it. Games like that rent space in your head.

39. How many seasons in a row have the packers been the pre season super bowl favorites?

Packers have choked 19 of the last 21 pre season super bowl titles.

Can’t wait for the 20th choke. And the excuses from the Gumby fans.

40. Wait…are Vikings fans talking smack about never winning a super bowl… to fans of a team that has won 4 of them?

I mean… is that really what’s happening right now?

41. Yeah, the Pack will be better with Rodgers back, but how much better is the rest of the roster? The Vikings have won the North twice over the past three seasons, last year with a backup QB, and in 2015 with the oft-maligned Teddy Bridgewater.

Then there’s the rest of the conference contenders, many of whom look like better teams (Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Rams, Panthers). Packers winning the NFC is a hard sell at this point.

42. Holy cow, cheese eater’s heads are going to explode. The eat these off season accolades up . It really means something to them, like Mark Murphy telling them the Packers are going to the Super Bowl in the preseason. And especially this year with that garbage roster exposed last year and big Mike saying this is year one rebuild. They really need comments like these from talking heads right now.

43. flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:58 am
    ////////////////////////////

Everyone you talk to, every football fan across the country, professional and amateur alike, says it will be a huge bust for the Vikings with Cousins if the Vikings don’t at least make it to the SuperBowl. Maybe not win it, but at least make it. Otherwise, what’s different from last year? It’s not the same for the Packers. They’re waiting, sitting back, one game at a time., not “all-in,” “shoot-the-wad,” like the Vikings. Rodgers was already highly paid and still will be. Not s big deal.

44. Picking any team to get to the Big Show in July is insane anyways but, off-season NFC teams that improved on already good teams don’t include the Pack. No defense in Green Bay.

Philly was 11-2 with Wentz and w/o HOF LT Peters, MLB signal caller Jordan Hicks, their best RB Sproles, best CB Ronald Darby. The Eagles got better at WR with Mike Wallace and with returning the above players. Philly is the best team in the NFC. Atlanta, Saints and tell Rams all improved and are better then Green Bay. As Chicago, Detroit Carolina and San Fran all improved. The NFC is loaded but until Philly proves otherwise they are the best team in the NFC and defending Super Bowls Champions and they actually got better…ARod won’t play in another Superbowl like Brees.

45. I’m not too worried about the Vikings.

Aaron Rodgers Career record vs. Vikings: 12-7
    381 of 519 passing (68.1 percent) for 4,571 yards, 39 TD, six INT

After this year it should read: 14-7
    420 of 575 passing for 5098 yards, 45 TD, six INT

46. tokyosandblaster says:
    July 14, 2018 at 12:01 pm
    I mean… is that really what’s happening right now
    —–
    Yeah we are talking about the present, not living in the past, and with Green Bay’s current garbage roster it is hard not to. Sorry if we hurt your feelings.

47. He did, however, couch his choice of the Jaguars with a reminder that the AFC title usually goes through New England.
    —–
    Fans In Green Bare are confused, the word couch was used in way that was not not in the typical way they spend their days sitting on.

48. milkcan44 says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:07 am
    —–
    What are you talking about? Do you know anything? The Vikings have more cap space than the Packers.

49. stellarperformance says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:13 am
    —-
    Sorry cheese eaters, opinions and predictions are worthless.
    Stella, where is my tribute? I have not seen it lately. Where is your 38-7 zinger, you know the highlight of your season last year.

50. That being the case, the better value will clearly be Rodgers, especially when you consider it will likely not be fully guaranteed.
    -))-
    Rodgers’ next contract will be a team team limiting percentage of the cap. Why? Because that is what’s the most important to Rodgers.

51. stellarperformance says:
    July 14, 2018 at 12:25 pm
    flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 10:58 am
    ////////////////////////////

——————————————

I’ll take expectations with big guns all over the field rather than fake expectations with the Lone Ranger holding a pee shooter.

52. Rob Demovsky the packer beat writer has the packers maybe making a wildcard spot. Maybe. Tough to win the Super Bowl when you can’t make the playoffs. Just saying.

53. Romo was a choke artist loser when he played, so it figures he’d pick a team with another choke artist loser QB against a team with no running game, no pass rush and no legitimate wide receiver;

even Rogers can’t throw ‘em and catch ‘em, though i’m sure if the NFL could legislate it, they would;

54. Florida Viking fan I am personally inviting you to Lambeau Field Sept.16th. Tickets for you and a guest. You will have to find your own way to our great state of Wisconsin from Florida though.

Looking forward to you speaking to me face to face.

#TitleTown

#GoPackGo

55. freefromwhatyouare says:
    July 14, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Looking forward to you speaking to me face to face

/////////////////////////////

I appreciate the invite, I have spent a lot of time in Wisconsin attending college, fishing, hunting and the La Crosse October Festivals (really can’t remember those) But never been to Lambeau for a Viking game. Unfortunately the Mayo Clinic here in Jax. will not let me travel yet.

56. flviking says:
    July 14, 2018 at 6:37 pm
    ///////////////////////////////////////

He predicted the Packers would finish 11-5 and would likely need a season-ending win over the Lions to secure a first-round bye. The two don’t match.

57. wafflestomp says:
    July 14, 2018 at 9:45 am

But it won’t stop those butthurt feelings though.
    ______________________

I’m sorry, but obviously this post bears repeating.
    The Barneys simply can’t stand when their historically crappy team is not part of the conversation.
    And the craziness gets ramped up 10 fold when the spotlight and attention falls on the Packers.

Seriously, look at the sheer volume of posts, all of them oozing with frustration and angst over this.
    Over this non-story, over nothing at all, really.
    skoLOL!

Fanatical ranting aside, from most, I think I’m quite flattered that, cheeseisfattening, has been cribbing off my earlier post. (hurt feelings/heads exploding)

58. Liberalsruineverything says:
    July 14, 2018 at 2:47 pm
    ////////////////////////////

Good for you. With those credentials you just confirmed and agreed with “SuperBowl or Bust,” for the Vikings. That was the point. You’re dead-on.

59. 56 days to kick-off of Week 1 2018 vs. The Bears at Lambeau.

Real football finally starts. Thank god! All the offseason talkers of how their team is superior to the Pack and how much the Packers “suck” and how “bad their roster is” will be fully exposed as just jealousy and wrong. Not that it wasn’t known as that all along because it was and is. The Barneys will go back to their old script of saying “the refs and the league are in the Packs pocket” and that is why they can’t ever be superior or achieve what Green Bay has.

56 days to Real Football🏈👏 The Purples fantasy talk time is over. TitleTowns 100 Seasons of reality is taking over.

One game at a time!

60. I bet this prediction will make it into the Packers Hall of fame next week when Jamaal Williams gets inducted and will be put right next to right next to Don Majkowski. The Packer bilk their for $55 a year for membership. Now that’s an organization that knows how to take advantage of its fans…fake stock sales and memberships to a goofy hall of fame.

61. cheeseisfattening says:
    July 15, 2018 at 5:56 pm
    ////////////////////////

…….and Viking fans still want what we have and still wish they were us.

We get it.

62. How come the packers have Zero cap space but they have the worst roster in the NFL? Please explain turd nation!
    ======

Eroding talent since 2014.

Poor drafts, especially on defense.

Bad signings like Randall Cobb.. Putz Bennett..

.. worst in the League? Playoffs 8 of the last 9 years.. and 9 of the last 11.

63. Not saying I agree (or disagree) with him, but Romo has a smart football mind. I wish more commentators were as studied as he is.

64. As a Packer fan, I hated TR when he played for the Cowboys, except when he was dating Jessica Simpson. That stuff was pretty funny with the crowd and the masks, I sure did enjoy him then. But after all the Cowboy hate, I sure do love this guy now. Not even because of this proclamation of his truly favorite team to be in the Super Bowl, but because he’s the best darn sports caster I’ve ever heard. by. far. I don’t remember another one I’ve even liked, but this guy… it’s like music to my ears listening to TR call a game. I really hope this is the start of a new era when (former Cowboys’ QB) sportscasters know what the bleep they’re talking about and can routinely predict the next play while clearly explaining why they’re thinking that.

65. Bortles is the worst QB I’ve ever seen except Brett Hundley. Jags have the D, but they need a real QB before they win a real Championship.

66. filthymcnasty3 says:

July 17, 2018 at 9:08 pm

This is sort of constant positive attention you get when you win an NFL record 13 World Championships.

/////////////////////////////////////////////

And how many of those championships took place in the last 50 plus years?? 2 of the NFL’s greatest QB’s and could only muster up one each.