Mike Tomlin: Hopefully we’ll have exciting Le’Veon Bell news on Monday

Getty Images

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is sounding an optimistic note about running back Le'Veon Bell‘s contract.

Tomlin told WAVY in Virginia that he’s hoping to have a long-term contract done with Bell before Monday.

“Obviously we want to get the deal done,” Tomlin said. “He wants to get the deal done. Everybody has said that. Now it’s just about the negotiators getting in the room, and doing what it is they need to do. I’m excited and hopeful. Hopefully we’ll have some exciting news Monday.”

If Bell doesn’t sign by Monday at 4 p.m., he’ll only be able to sign a one-year contract with the Steelers this year. In that case, Bell would likely skip training camp and only report before the start of the regular season. Tomlin doesn’t want that to happen, but he said he thinks he can count on Bell to be in shape for Week One even if he’s not in training camp.

“He’s the type of guy who’s highly conditioned over a 12-month calendar,” Tomlin said.

One way or another, we’ll know by tomorrow afternoon whether Bell is with the Steelers in the long term, or whether he’s going to hit free agency in March.

77 responses to “Mike Tomlin: Hopefully we’ll have exciting Le’Veon Bell news on Monday

1. .
    If I were the Steelers GM, I would have parted ways with Bell and drafted the Patriots first rounder, RB Sony Michel. Then, I’d use the resulting cap savings to sign a few select free agents at positions of need.

2. Tomlin is a tool.
    He wants to be everybody’s buddy, there’s not an ounce of discipline in him.
    Last year Bell sat out and he didn’t find his legs again until about week 4.

3. Tag & move on – his long term $17M/yr asking price would be better spent on depth & defense.

4. Bell is already a multi-millionaire, plus he’s a pothead and therefore a suspension waiting to happen.
    I’d run him into the ground this season. After 1,200+ touches in the last 3 seasons, he’ll be done after getting another 400 touches this season. See Alexander, Shaun.

5. Good big news would be either that they got him for a more reasonable percrntage of the salary cap OR that after Bell stuck to his demands they said the heck with it and are looking for better ways to spend that amount if cap space.

Bad big news is that they made cuts in other areas and now have a long term committment at that price to have Bell to roll all their dice on.

6. Steelers are making all of the right noises but they still need to pony up the money (guaranteed) for the long term deal. Le’Veon is the best RB in the NFL and he expects to be paid accordingly. The big question is how much Pittsburgh commits to long term.

7. Tomlin is a joke. He inherited Cowhers work and has ran it into the ground. Losing to Bortles and Tebow in the playoffs is inexcusable. Now the best player on the team wants job security and they refuse to give it. The sky is falling.

8. Mike Tomlin: Hopefully we’ll have exciting Le’Veon Bell news on Monday-I HOPE SO, I’M SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT THIS GUY, YOU’D THINK THE STEELERS WOULD BE READY TO MOVE ON WITHOUT HIM.

9. Good for Bell for knowing his worth and standing firm on his price. I really don’t understand the animus being thrown Bell’s way by most here. Every time a player holds out in the middle of a contract for more money there is always a bunch of people here who say “You shouldn’t have signed it if you didn’t like the deal”

Now Bell is doing exactly that and oh he’s greedy, he’s not worth it, he’s this, he’s that.

1. The Steelers choose to franchise him a second time at $14 million this year rather than either trading hom or letting him hit the free agent market. Bell had absolutely no say in that decision.

2. Because the Steelers choose that route they, not Bell, are saying he is worth at least $14 million this season to them.

3. If you have me valued at $14 million this year than to get me signed to a long term deal the deal would have to average at least that plus I would take into account my transition tag of $17 million and 3rd tag of $25 million the following year.

4. I don’t know what they’re teaching the football players from Michigan State but between Bell and Cousins they are both showing exactly how to treat NFL contract negotiations like the business it is. It’s not how much the average Joe would gladly accept, or about team, or about trying to make fans go you see there Bell is a team guy! It’s about knowing this is a cut throat business in which ownership and fans will think nothing of shipping you out if they think you’re slipping or can get a cheaper replacement. And when they reach that conclusion you will not here this talk about team and being a family. It will be “just business”.

10. Coach Tomlin gets it. He’s one of the guys. A real players coach. He’ll let the players play and stay out of their way. Very successful. Great news coach T. Let’s hope Le’Veon sets the market and gets the respect he deserves to around $20 mil per year

11. “Le’Veon is the best RB in the NFL and he expects to be paid accordingly. ”

Anyone who comprehends the slightest bit about nfl cap management and economics knows that the 14+ million the tag pays him this year is more than enough “accordingly”

I’d be stunned if the Steelers destroy their cap model for Bell. The Pats and Steelers are the couple best teams at managing the cap

12. Bell is the new greedy player in the NFL. The Steelers offer was more than fair. Bell has not helped them win in the play offs, yes he may get the yards but times he is an average running back when it comes to picking up crucial third and short yardage.

13. It sounds like coach Tomlin put in a good word for Le’Veon with management and bridged the gap as far as the contract goes. With coach Belichick losing his Patriots team with his disciplinary coaching style, we see how a real players coach like Mike Tomlin enjoying team success. It looks like the Steelers are the favorites this year in the AFC thanks to coach Tomlin.

14. I don’t know what the critics are talking about concerning Coach Tomlin. In 11 seasons as an NFL head coach, he’s never had a losing season, ten or more wins 8 of those seasons, and has coached the Steelers to two Super Bowls. He has a winning record in the playoffs, too. He’s one of the best communicators in today’s game, and if these quotes sound flat or funny, it’s probably because they don’t include his inflection and emphasis.

15. How productive are 28 and 29 yera old RBs?
    If they tag him and let him walk after the season, what is the cost / benefit?
    He will probably still be a very good player for a couple of years, say through age 29 but then what? Is it worth paying top top dollar for a very good but no longer dominant player?
    It might be better to let him walk and use that money elsewhere. 17MM for great production, ok. 17 MM for just very good doesn’t cut it.

16. I’d rather hear the exciting news that #7 is finally getting his just deserts. Players are getting suspended for rumors, and this guy walks untarnished. Read the police report, folks. I understand being a Steelers fan – it’s a great organization – but just from what he himself admitted, he should be unemployed and hated.

17. 6thsense10 says:
    July 15, 2018 at 9:50 am

——————————-
    Its all about the cap. You are thinking that its just how much profit margin they want to part with but its not that, its cap percentage. The more you give Bell the less you have for talent at other positions. In the end you want to devide whether you want to have the leagues best RB and a generational talent on your team, or if you want to win at any high level. Because of the cap that does turn that into a ‘one or the other’ type choice.

18. Yeah great idea pay the locker diva $17m haha not happening. I can’t wait until Bell signs with a bad team next season and realizes how much Ben, Brown, and our O-Line create his touches and opportunities.

19. lurkerkerker says:
    July 15, 2018 at 10:47 am

1 0 Rate This
    ————————

they don’t care that they cheer for a filthy rapist

20. You guys on here need to give coach Tomlin a break. Nobody is perfect. Sure he had a lapse in judgement when he tripped that kick returner, but that was years ago. He hasn’t had any more incidents like that since. Coach Tomlin served his punishment and paid his debt to society.

21. they don’t care that they cheer for a filthy rapist

I guess the moron who posted that forgot about Hernandez……..I would blame it on selective memory but that would credit you with a brain.

22. Im a Steelers fan. I dot get the animosity towards Bell.
    He wants to get paid everything possible – I would too.

If he does sit out most of training camp I dont see it as a problem. If anything it helps save him for the end of the season and play-offs. Bell does show up in pretty good condition so hell probably be fully ready by werek 4. Thats why I dont really hold this against either side.

23. cambiggestfan: a little NFL history lesson. Tripping Tomlin never really tripped the returner but his coming onto the field made the runner slow. This delay allowed the defender to catch up with the runner.
    But you are right he has followed the rules since.

24. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 11:17 am
    they don’t care that they cheer for a filthy rapist

———

The Pats cut Hernandez …..the Steelers gave Ben a new contract

See the difference?

25. Nobody in New England cheers for Hernandez. He was cut off the team as soon as his arrest. A fooling drool fails to see the difference

Oh I see the difference and believe in second chances like the Evangelicals give our lying President. The difference is Ben has corrected his bad behavior……not so much #45.

26. Can’t wait to see NY fans turn on Barkley after he honors his contract…then gets rewarded with a 5th year option and 2 franchise tags…can’t pay running backs right?… once they turn 27 years old, they’re on the downside of their career…

Side note: Bell signed and honored his contract and never cried and whined about it…Antonio Brown signed a contract but cried and whined and forced the Steelers to pay him more…and he sucks without a HOF Qb…if he played for Arizona he’d be irrelevant…he can’t overcome bad QB play like Fitzgerald could…

27. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 11:57 am

———–

I agree Trump is a schmuck. Are you willing to say the same thing about Bubba or Hillary? What about the women whose lives these two ruined to keep Bill’s offenses under wraps?

28. tylaw nofoolnodrool and nhpats are all cheatriot dipsticks. go away back to your board. GO STEELERS!!! HOORAH!!!

29. nhpats says:
    July 15, 2018 at 11:53 am
    Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 11:17 am
    they don’t care that they cheer for a filthy rapist

———

The Pats cut Hernandez …..the Steelers gave Ben a new contract

See the difference?

2 0 Rate This

—————

the drooling mouthbreather does not see the difference

30. What penalty did Ben serve before “correcting his behavior”? And how do you or anyone even know whether or not he has “corrected” anything?

1 0

What Penalty? Having to ask that reveals your Obvious bias your stupidity or both. He was suspended four games but I guess you weren’t old enough to watch the games back then.

Bill’s women number far less than your hero Trump so your whatabout Bill argument is a joke.

But back to Bell and Tomlin. Tomlin is letting Bell know he wants him back and that he is working for him. Finally Foozie Drooler your hatred of Tomlin is obviously racially based little fella.

31. bystanderhere says:
    July 15, 2018 at 11:44 am

7 1 Rate This

_____________

baltimore honors a murderer with a statue

it is a very strange part of country that penn/md area. very insecure spors fans trying to force traditiions that aren’t even there

32. tylaw nofoolnodrool and nhpats are all cheatriot dipsticks. go away back to your board. GO STEELERS!!! HOORAH!!!
    —————————
    Now that’s really funny!

33. baltimore honors a murderer with a statue

That’s funny coming from a fan of a team that has lost multiple draft picks for cheating and had numerous players suspended for PED use. Forced traditions…..more delusions from an idiot still looking for his village.

34. Tone deaf Harry says:
    July 15, 2018 at 10:52 am
    6thsense10 says:
    July 15, 2018 at 9:50 am

——————————-

I know and understand exactly what the cap is but people on here are acting like Bell should care about the cap. The owners put the cap in place so it’s up to them to manage it. When I go to interview for a job I don’t ask the management team interviewing say how much is your budget so I can come up with an asking salary that fits it. I go out and attempt to get the most amount my talent dictates. I really don’t care what their budget is and I would wager that most commenters on here don’t care what their company’s or department budget is either. You are trying to get as much as the market has to offer whether it’s salary or some combination of salary and benefits. So I chuckle that people think Bell should in any way take salary cap into account when negotiating what will likely be the biggest contract he will sign in his life.

35. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 12:22 pm

1 0

——

As for Trump, unlike Bubba none of his women claim he did anything without their consent. So once again, why do you support the Clintons? Are you really such a partisan?

36. I see the liberals panties are still in a wad because they LOST. Try sticking to comments about football. I know it’s hard, but at least try.

37. 6thsense10 says:
    July 15, 2018 at 12:38 pm
    Tone deaf Harry says:
    July 15, 2018 at 10:52 am
    6thsense10 says:
    July 15, 2018 at 9:50 am

——————————-

——————-
    Im not sure you do fully grasp the implications of the cap because your example still refers to a case where you would be negotiating for how much you can count against profit margin not against a cap. The company does not weaken themselves in other areas if they give you more. In Bells case they do. I dont vilify him for wanting it, who doesnt want more? I simply say that the Steelers should not be blamed for not wanting to weaken the overall team for just one player. And paying him the scale he wants makes the team weaker on the overall (albeit stronger at the RB position) is a bottom line fact that cant be escaped.

38. “As for Trump, unlike Bubba none of his women claim he did anything without their consent.”

There have been quite a few accusations actually but the trump sheep ignore them as if they dont exist

39. harrisonhits2 says:
    July 15, 2018 at 1:35 pm

—————————
    I think that there cant be much valid case to critcize Trump when his opponents are reduced to trying to make some sort of anti Trump argument out of Bell’s negotiations with the Steelers. I dont even like the guy but it gets embarrassing what I read from his opponents these days and how hard up they sound.

40. harrisonhits2 says:
    July 15, 2018 at 1:35 pm

—-

Really? I have not seen one but there very well may be. But Kathleen Willie and Juanita Broderick both claimed Bubba assaulted them and Hillary went on to bismirch the and tried to ruin their lives. And yet the Left ignored it and supported the Clintons with open arms. So please, spare me the Liberal outrage over Trump.

41. Trump says “whatever” and 35% of America laps it up like Stormy Daniels at scene’s end. But regardless, “Grab ’em by the hoo-ha” ain’t about consent. Clearly. That’s not standing up for either Clinton; it’s a statement of fact about POTUS.

But on-topic….. I really dislike how the combo of the 5th year option and franchise tags allow franchises to do, well, THIS to talented first-round RB’s. When combined with the age-of-entry requirement of the NFL it essentially gives them minimal control of the most productive part of their short careers. I mean, look on this thread how many guys are putting age 30 as the RB expiration date. Now do the math from an entry age of 21, 22….. 5 years and a tag and you are basically damaged goods in terms of market perception because you are nearly 30.

Perhaps in the next CBA they can address this.

Bell should mercilessly grind every penny he can from the Steelers. They’ll grind everything they can get from HIM, and discard him when he’s used up. Besides, this is AMERICA. In recent negotiations for a product line I picked up for my manufacturing business, I was a total jerk in the sense that I very aggressively advocated for, held the line on, and finally GOT a really good rate for the job. This is how markets function. I understand the cap makes the NFL a not-free market but the basic principle remains: take care of business.

42. The usual trolls are here spewing the same old gibberish. Obtaining lives would go a long way towards growing up.

43. An NFL suspension is not a “penalty” for rape. A cell in a prison is appropriate.

Let me help you little NHPutz. You go to jail when CONVICTED and Ben was never tried or convicted. Bubba never paid money to hush anybody up and Bubba wasn’t as prolific at assault as the Liar in Chief. Finally I don’t support the Clintons because I hate anyone that lies and steals which put them in the same category as #45. Some advice cut back on your consumption of Fox News it is blurring your reality….I know it’s tailored for those of you unable or to lazy to think….but come on Putz it’s unhealt.

44. Whether the deal gets done for not. Leveon Bell is a Steeler for at least another year putting in fear to opposing defenses. There’s a reason why the Steelers got more then the rest.

45. Leave it to the Rooney rule rump swab to be looking forward to “exciting news” in July. As for January, Steeler fans have become conditioned to expecting the worst. Disappointment is the not so new norm in “steel country”.

46. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 2:49 pm

——————
    Actually the Clintons did cover things up, on several cases Hilary trashed womens careers if they spoke out agist Bill. Women lost their jobs just because Bill would be even possibly showing interest it didn’t matter if the women in question had reciprocated or even acknowledged interest. You dont have to take my word for this you can Google it.

No defense of Trump though. The fact is that neither Republicans nor Democrats have clean hands they are about the same level of dirty in every way. The only people that deny that truth are the biased delusionists on each side. And thats why all this back and forth finger pointing is stupid.

47. And thats why all this back and forth finger pointing is stupid.

So your solution is to ignore it and it will cease? How’s that working////? How do you think we ended up with the Clown in Chief…..by not voting your back and forth vote. Ok you stand by and watch the USA circle the bowl for a final flush without a whimper…..now that is sad.

48. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 4:21 pm
    And thats why all this back and forth finger pointing is stupid.

——————
    YOUR PRESIDENT got elected because alongside the finger pointing he did have some suggestions to improve things while his opponent had nothing but the finger pointing. Right now he does look to get elected again because his opponents have since the election contributed nothing but finger pointing while has has at least tried to do some good and has actually succeeded in a few places. (To wich his opponents respond by simply getting enraged that the country is doing better, which certainly makes you wonder about their priorities, and doubles down on their finger pointing) You can hate that all you want and get as mad as you want, but retorting with more finger pointing or name calling simply underscores my point.

49. ——————

That fool is not my president. If you are happy with the present level of political discourse coming from the Lying#45 then this country is in very serious trouble. Should the big liar win again I fear that our form of government will disappear because there is a very deep anger. Building in the decent respectful people and the disregard for bipartisan cooperation is going to cause an uprising which I hope is peaceful. Good people realize they got fooled once but if they are gerrymandered again and win the popular vote but lose the Oval Office I forsee big problems.

50. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 5:32 pm
    ——————

———-

Maybe you need your safe space?

51. It costs money to field a contender. The Steelers have a lot of key pkayers, Bell us one of them, arguably at the same level as bBell when you factor the value of him as an outlet for Ben now that Miller is gone.

I hope he signs.

I would be far more excited if there were some interesting investments going on on the defense. Remember when they signed Munchak. You knew it was going to be a rock solid contribution. Defense needs something . A coach. A player. That adds that type of confidence.

52. What makes the real FOOL even look more foolish is that President Trump actually won the popular vote in the very Keystone State where his beloved football team plays every year (until mid-January). Thanks to all the Yinzers who helped lead our President to a very comfortable Electoral margin, which is all that really matters.

53. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 5:32 pm

—————————

54. Dude you have ‘forseen’ a lot of things. Still waiting for any of them to come true.

Dude I got you thinking more than I can say about your contribution here. You are way to young to have foreseen anything.

55. He should not sign,skip camp, and hit free agency next spring. Tired of all the drama.

56. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 15, 2018 at 7:54 pm

——————
    Not sure what you mean, just making an observation after reading the exchanges. But I have not been called young for decades so thank you sir fir that line..

57. Tomlin expects some “exciting news” today and Mark Geragos expects Kaep to be signed last October….

58. It is head-scratching how mediocre talent like Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum can “get paid” — suffice it to say that the quarterback position is tantamount to success, but not necessarily with mediocre quarterbacking such as exhibited by the aforementioned lol — yet, A-list talent of the likes of Julio Jones, OBJ and Le’Veon Bell are put on the fence. #NoRespect