Jurrell Casey prepared to “take my fine” for violating anthem policy

Getty Images

The national anthem policy put in place by the NFL this offseason says that players may stay in the locker room during the playing of the song, but that those on the field must “stand and show respect” and that teams with players who don’t will be fined by the league.

A teams is permitted to “develop its own work rules” for players who do not stand and show respect and it appears Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey plans to see how his team will be addressing that possibility. Casey raised his fist during the playing of the anthem the last two years and suggested on Wednesday that he is prepared to take any discipline that may come from continuing to do so this season.

“I’m going to take my fine,” Casey said from a promotional event in London, via CNN. “It is what it is, I ain’t going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do. If they want to have these battles between players and organizations, this is the way it’s going to be. … There is always going to be blowback, that is what America is about. They always like to go on social media and go hard. It is what it is, at the end of the day, I don’t pay no mind to it. I’m going to do what I do that’s going to bring light to my community. At the end of the day we got to do a job. But I will continue to use my platform to keep on speaking up.”

While Jets CEO Christopher Johnson has said the team will absorb any fines for violations of the anthem policy, the Titans have not publicly outlined their plans for dealing with such situations.

95 responses to “Jurrell Casey prepared to “take my fine” for violating anthem policy

1. Why not go out in YOUR community and do something, doubt you live in YOUR community that you talk about.

2. Maybe these players need to take action and start something different rather than just being a baby by raising a fist up or taking a knee and hoping something changes…

3. I’ll bet this loser lives in a gated community and drives a Bentley. Out of touch with reality.

4. melikefootball says:
    July 18, 2018 at 2:41 pm
    ———
    Because they dont know what work is. They don’t know why they are kneeling or raising their fist, they are doing this because its a fad. They are not oppressed, they are millionaires who are clueless about life. He’s trying to fit in and be cool. Clearly it hasn’t worked. When you think of football players, do you think of Jurrell Casey? Me neither.

5. Why can every other sport in America handle the anthem with respect except NFL players? Every sport in the world plays their anthem before large events and the NFL is the only group of people that have to turn this time of country unity into a divisive act.

6. You can’t stop people from standing up in what they believe in. You can’t kill an idea. Anyone who says or thinks otherwise, shows what little they know about the human thought process. If he is going to protest, he is going to protest. Calling him out of touch, or spoiled, that is just missing the point. You can’t stop him from doing it, the NFL can’t stop him from doing it, and The President can’t stop him from doing it. That is what makes you people angry, not having control.

7. Why not just stand for the Anthem and show respect….and take the “Fine Money” (you would be loosing) and use it for scholarships, grant, programs for rehabilitation of “At Risk” teens. Just use the tool between your two ear holes for something good.

8. I don’t get why it is such an issue for an employer to say “No, you can’t do that. If you do, we will reprimand you.”. Every one of us who works for an employer has to deal with rules and regulations if we want to remain employed, why do these guys think that they deserve better?

The vast majority of the rest of us sods have to wait to express ourselves on our own time, it shouldn’t be an issue for their employers to use their own time for said movements as well.

9. There is no Injustice in America, there are people who choose to be criminals and or break rules and laws. They Deserve To Be LOCKED UP.

10. To those of you telling these guys they need to take action, do you know that any of them aren’t?

Also, even if some of them aren’t, they probably already have their charities set up and maybe adding to it isn’t feasible. Instead, they may be trying to invoke change and action in others, which is completely reasonable.

There so much short-sightedness with this entire “issue” that it’s troubling.

11. I didn’t realize you were allowed to dictate to your employer how you were going to act while on the clock. I’d get fired if I did that.

12. melikefootball says:
    July 18, 2018 at 2:41 pm
    —————
    Are you that much of a moron that you do not see the stories of players doing things in “their” communities on their own time? Or is it that you live in such a bubble that you do not wish to see it.

Why aren’t you contributing those communities. Are they not part of America, or maybe you just see them through a different lens and they may not be of deserving of equal access to this country as you.

13. Clowns and millenials. If the guy really cared he would be physically and financially involved rather than just trying to draw attention to himself with the tired anthem protest. The team is paying the fine? Yeah he is really involved… What is America going to look like in 20 years?

14. royalitalianarmy says:
    July 18, 2018 at 2:54 pm
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Yes, locked up. Not murdered, which is what these protests are about in case you missed it.

15. He’s from Long Beach, California. That’s his community. He runs a gang-prevention organization in that community. He also created the Casey Fund, a nonprofit org dedicated to raising money re-entry programs, inner-city youth programs, mentoring and halfway houses. Please tell me how he’s an out of touch millionaire???? I’d like to know.

16. So what if a criminal or a bad cop said, “I’m not going to stop them from letting me do what I want to do.” Just like Casey. Sorry, but a world with rules is better than one without.

17. College taught these athletic millionaires how to throw fits, they represent the elite class of wealth via U.S. benefits.

18. Last year this dude signed an extension with 40M guaranteed. Taking a fine isn’t really as meaningful as – say – someone with much more to lose who takes a stand for something. I think the fines go to charity, so it’s probably deductible anyway.

19. “But I will continue to use my platform to keep on speaking up”
    see that is just it and some of the players just don’t understand this, THE FIELD IS NOT “YOUR” PLATFORM. That field and its platform were built by past players and owners. Please do anything and everything you feel you need to do BUT please do it on your own time using your own platform and we ALL support you

20. “I ain’t going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do”. No one is trying to say you can’t protest, you just can’t protest at work! How is this hard?

21. youngnoizecom says:

*****************************************

I have been to Long Beach he could use a bit more money on that gang-prevention organization. Maybe he should think about using that fine money in a more positive manner.

22. Freedom of Speech (i.e., First Amendment) peeps.

America already has Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veteran’s Day… can’t we just have FOOTBALL be about FOOTBALL (rolling eyes…)

My father was an Armed Services Veteran, so do not call me unpatriotic for expressing my views as such, herewith.

23. So quick to jump in and tell a person how they can protest. Protests are supposed to make you uncomfortable. It appears from reading most of these comments these protests accomplish just that. Also, you don’t have any idea what Mr. Casey does or doesn’t do in his community and you others who say you’d be fired, I am guessing Mr. Casey is better at his job then you are at yours. Finally, I bet your job doesn’t have a collective bargaining agreement.

24. I still would like to know how holding your first in the air or kneeling during the anthem brings light to your community. At least hold up a sign or banner if you want your cause to be recognized.

25. If everyone had followed the rules we would all be saying “God Save The Queen.”

26. make the fine his gamecheck, which will then be donated to disable vet charities and families of those who lost a loved one defending our country.

27. youngnoizecom says:
    July 18, 2018 at 3:05 pm

————————————————————————-

They don’t care that he actually does that. Just like Malcolm Jenkins is very active in his community and with the police force but you know he raises a fist so he must not do anything.

They say that the athletes are out of touch, but it is amazing how completely out of touch some of these posters are. They have no idea what goes on outside of their little 10 miles radius of their homes.

28. How’s the police stand down going for Baltimore? After the riots, the police developed a hands off attitude and lates stats show a large increase in crime in those areas of Balt.

29. mcfc2014 says:
    July 18, 2018 at 3:36 pm
    ____________
    Pink during breast cancer awareness is ok because you want to better your image with women, but disallowing protests that affects a vast majority of your employees needs to be disallowed…….

30. “It is what it is, I ain’t going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do.

What a complete idiot. Your employer is giving you an option. Stay in the locker room or stand for the anthem. Last year that was fine. Your employer gave you the ability to protest. Fine. Not anymore. If I pulled that Crap at work I would be fired. What a fool. Hope he gets cut.

Stop biting the hand that feeds you. You’re a football player, not a public servant. Get a grip.

31. Just a common publicity seeker and a fraud whose opinion on anything is not worth spit.
    Use your own money to help your city.
    Just like leftist performers who give concerts, BUT NEVER give money

32. How long does it take to figure out that the majority of fans are sick of this nonsense. They are only proving how incredibly stupid and out of touch with reality they really are. Just shut up and do your job and obey the rules of the workplace or suffer the consequences.

33. Hahahaha. The sad thing is this guy actually thinks he’s making a stand for something. What?…I have NO idea.

This entire thing is so meaningless and ridiculous no matter what side you’re on.

34. If I protested at my job, I would expect to be terminated. The workplace is not where you express your personal views and opinions. You are a professional athlete. You have all kinds of alternate places and ways to do so. The only awareness you are raising by taking a knee is how lazy and rude you are.

35. Smart play! The owners avoided a problem with the union by making the team pay the fine and not the players. If the team now fines the players it brings the union into it because such things would have to be collectively bargained.

36. Sure was refreshing to watch the MLB All Star game last night with their honoring the Medal of Honor recipients prior to the playing of the National Anthem.

37. wallabear says:
    Freedom of Speech (i.e., First Amendment) peeps.
    ===

Go actually read the Constitution, then have someone with comprehension skills explain to you what you it means,
    “peep.”
    The First Amendment outlines your rights in relation to the U.S. Government, PERIOD! It offers no protections whatsoever from the consequences of your action or choices in the private sector or the workplace.

38. When the teams get fined it should count against the cap. It would make it more meaningful.

39. I wish I had the power to make those who say there is no injustice a black man behind the wheel of a car that gets pulled over. #justonce

40. “Sure was refreshing to watch the MLB All-Star game with their honoring of the Medal of Honor recipients prior to the playing the National Anthem”.

Doesn’t all the pomp and circumstance of that, along with that accompanying the bringing in the service people the night before, strike you as bit nationalistic/militaristic? Is it really necessary to have an entire television segment dedicated to worship of the state?

41. I don’t pay no mind to it? Cut him NOW!! Then maybe he can go back to school and learn something, like English.

42. Jurrell Casey can go live in another country for all I care. If this keeps up, I will stop watching and hope others do the same and not watch secretly. This, plus officials routinely taking over the outcomes of game is a huge turn off.

43. dregonspengler says:
    July 18, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    wallabear says:
    Freedom of Speech (i.e., First Amendment) peeps.
    ===

“peep.”
    —————
    When your employer receives tax payer funds to promote paid acts of patriotism, you are still allowed your first amendment rights. Just as if you receive those same tax payer funds you must meet all accommodations to comply with disabilities act.

Government money isn’t fee. There’s rules and regulations you need to adhere to when you accept those funds.

44. This year I watch my team only, not even the rest of our division. No Mondays, Thursdays, Sunday nights, nothing. They need me more than I need them. All my gear is in the basement. This guy is disingenous at best. Put your money, time, and effort on the line doing something except raising your stupid hand.

45. The league raked in record revenue numbers again last season, and I expect that trend to continue. Football is the greatest form of entertainment in the world. Jerrell Casey is an absolute stud. He’s one of the best players in the league. Nobody from my community is getting pulled over and shot for no reason, but they are in his. I haven’t walked in his shoes. I respect the man. He’s the kind of person that helped make this country great. Great player, great person.

46. Keep it up boys. With two new leagues coming in the next couple of years as well as the potential strike/lockout in the not so distant future when the collective bargaining takes place the players and the owners could find themselves with a lot less viewers/fans than they currently have now. Already college football is more popular with most fans and now even more options are on the horizon.

My suggestion is to quit protesting and start acting like you want to entertain your fans because at the end of the day you are just that entertainment and if people can find entertainment that is just as good at a better price and without the drama well a smaller pool of profits means a lower salary cap and less cash for the players.

47. why would the NFL want this to go away? they like the publicity and the polarizing nature of this issue. how many times a day do people say NFL? many more while this is being discussed. we are all being played.

48. Big surprise. Who didn’t see this coming? He’s probably only doing it so he can file a collusion lawsuit when he can’t get another contract.

49. Idk.
    If you are proud, stand. If you aren’t, kneeling seems appropriately respectful enough. And who is anyone to tell you, that you should be proud. We all have different walks of life.

Get off your high horse and stop judging others.

50. Can people PLEASE stop saying “if I did it in my job, I would be fired”.

Yeah, I know. We live in a capitalist society (thank god).

Supply and demand. You would be fired because there are a thousand people capable of being a janitor. You are easily replaceable.

But a pro bowl caliber defensive end? Not so much.

By all means you can have an opinion either way on the anthem. But making those comparisons are asinine. You are replaceable, he is not.

51. Also, another one.

Can people also stop saying “It’s his first amendment right to protest”.

The first amendment prevents Trump from locking you up. It doesn’t prevent people from disagreeing with you. Or think you are wrong for protesting. Or a team firing you as a result.

52. I hope the fine that the NFL is going to bring down on these teams that have players protesting is big and escalating. At least I know I won’t be watching any Titans games this year.

53. I would love to know exactly how much money Jerrell Casey has given to various charitable causes or how much community work he has done in support of these so-called causes he feels compelled to kneel for. If all you are going to do is kneel on Sunday, be my guest, but it’s like pissing in your wetsuit, it gives you a nice warm feeling but does nothing to accomplish the objective.

54. wallabear says:
    Freedom of Speech (i.e., First Amendment) peeps.
    ——————————————————

A person in the military takes an oath to “support and defend the constitution of the United States” and to obey the orders of the President and the officers appointed over them. A military member by taking this oath, fore-fits their right to publicly show their personal and partisan and political views– publicly.

I hear these NFL players say all too often, “the NFL is mock military” First of all, today’s NFL is not. LOL. Secondly, the players should realize when they sign their contracts, they’re agreeing to the rules of the league, and to being a public figure. And, with that agreement, comes certain media rules/norms and a minimum expected standard of behavior of being in front of the camera.

There is a time/place for personal protests/beliefs. During the Anthem to honor our country/military is not that time. Players should be thankful they can still exercise their freedom of speech via social media, or in other ways because if this were the military, or “mock” military as these kids say, they would not get away with this garbage.

55. I recommend he reads up on Shelby Steele’s take. The protest is meaningless. It’s not about anything. The rest is just part of bread and circus…all part of the show. The fans don’t care, or are turned off by it, which damages the NFL’s business model, which in turns hurts the very people doing the protesting.

56. It’s funny I have been away from this for awhile, I come back and see this and it just seems unbelievably ridiculous. All other sports have no issue with the anthem. Only NFL players. It’s not even about standing/kneeling or any of that any more. It’s about players having gigantic egos, wanting/craving attention and not wanting to be told what to do. If they don’t want to be told what to do, go buy a team yourself and you make your own rules. My gosh, THEY are the employees. If they don’t like the rules, quit and go do something else. It’s really that simple. They don’t get to make the rules. If it’s really that important to them they can hash it out in the next collective bargaining agreement. The fact is that most players don’t care about advocating for issues. There’s only a handful that actually do. Jenkins, Long, Stills, Boldin (though he’s actually retired) , maybe a few others. The rest just seek the attention.

57. If he wants the fine then give it to him. When the fine hurts enough he will stop. It’s no different then a driving ticket…you get one or two then you understand the costs and it’s not with it. He obviously doesn’t get the NFL can be taken down because of this ONE issue. The NFL for the first time ever has lost popularity on TV tastings last year. The golden goose is at risk…there are always those that think they are undefeatBls….yet they were Sears, MySPACE, Ford (filed for bankruptcy), and Toys R US before they can’t reverse The losses.

58. I am dumbfounded at how imbecilic and tone deaf these guys have become.
    You don’t get points for being stubborn.
    Why hasn’t someone with a modicum of intelligence tell these guys if they change their platform that the chances of rallying the troops and gaining support would increase dramatically?
    It’s a no brainier. Stand up and say “Wow, we chose the wrong forum for our protest. We’re sorry if we offended millions of you but we’ll stop and in return we ask you to stand by our side and stop police brutality”.
    Guess what would happen? The lines would be country miles long in support.
    Don’t expect this level of common sense to prevail any time soon though. Don’t hold your breath.

59. “I ain’t going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do.” This is the problem in a nutshell. Perhaps if some of these players would simply go out and instruct members of their Community how to act when dealing with the police, perhaps there wouldn’t be any problems. But no, nobody wants to follow the rules and nobody’s going to tell them what to do.

I think the fines should be double for the second incident, triple for the third incident, quadrupled for the 4th incident,etc. And I hope they don’t start off with a piddling little fine. I think the minimum is $7,500 for a uniform violation. The fine for this should be more than that for sure.

If his line of thinking becomes popular and spreads across the league, I can see this being a very bad year for the NFL. The alternative Football League can’t get here soon enough.

60. Lots of people seem to think the purpose of protest is to effect change. The purpose of protest is to raise awareness of an injustice. Because action only comes when there’s awareness. The fact that lots of people commenting here keep saying “what are you protesting…there’s no injustice…” shows that these protests are still needed.

To those who say “why not go do something in your community instead”, you don’t know these guys or what they are currently doing. Even if just for tax and team purposes, a lot of these guys already donate lots of money and time to charity. Kap has donated more than $1M of his own money. Chris Long of the Eagles donated all his 16 game checks last year.

61. shieldsisland37 says:
    July 18, 2018 at 2:51 pm

You People? what exactly do you mean by “you people”? See how tricky life has become?

No, you can’t stop an idea but normal, civil, football players making big money society depends on it’s members agreeing to certain social constructs, like not driving on the left just because your individuality says see what it’s like to drive in England.

This “protest” has lost it’s way. It has simple become a method for the above mentioned free spirits to get under the skin of those whom they feel represent and ordered society.

62. shieldsisland37 says:
    July 18, 2018 at 2:51 pm

————————
    That is correct that you cant stop them. But you can opt to stop rewarding them. Anyone trying to argue otherwise is operating under the concept that a paycheck is an entitlement, not an earned reward.

63. Just a technical question here. When I first read of the new policy my understanding was that the league was going to fine the teams not the players. And they were then going to leave it to the teams to deal with it internally whether they want to punish players or just absorb the fines and let them protest. But a lot of comments I read since then imply the league is fining players not teams. Which is it?

64. We give these guys way too much credit. They are low IQ and poorly educated at best. The guy cant even form a proper sentence. Do we really think that by raising a fist and kneeling they are in some deep cerebral level of truth and justice for the supposed oppressed? This is nothing more than another way to stick it to whitey and they get off on the attention.

65. I hear these NFL players say all too often, “the NFL is mock military”

—————————-

I have never heard this. Not once. You are lying.

66. “….He runs a gang-prevention organization in that community. He also created the Casey Fund, a nonprofit org dedicated to raising money re-entry programs, inner-city youth programs, mentoring and halfway houses. Please tell me how he’s an out of touch millionaire???? I’d like to know.”

—————————————
    All worthwhile endeavors, good for him. I hope he’s making a difference in young peoples lives, I really do. But what I’d like to know is how holding your fist in the air during the anthem helps mitigate the societal problems he’s fighting? The nation he disrespects and considers so injurious to his community is the same nation that guarantees his right to form gang prevention and fund other programs. Try pulling the kneeling and raised fist stunts in Venezuela, China or North Korea and several other countries and see what happens. And perhaps he’d see more public support for his charitable activities if he and others would stop their silly on-field demonstrations.

67. I believe I am finally done with the NFL. Starting in September, I will be watching my football on Saturdays.

And that means that DirecTv will be losing a 15-year customer. If I don’t need Sunday Ticket, I can get my TV from my ISP and save myself almost $100/month.

68. damondred1 says:
    July 18, 2018 at 9:32 pm
    Can people PLEASE stop saying “if I did it in my job, I would be fired”.

Yeah, I know. We live in a capitalist society (thank god).

But a pro bowl caliber defensive end? Not so much.
    ___________________________________________

We know it’s you, Jurrell!!

69. damondred1 says:
    July 18, 2018 at 9:32 pm
    Can people PLEASE stop saying “if I did it in my job, I would be fired”.

Yeah, I know. We live in a capitalist society (thank god).

But a pro bowl caliber defensive end? Not so much.

———————-
    No one is irreplaceable. Not anywhere ever. Some are harder, but none are impossible. So you are correct that the janitor is much easier. But a pro bowl defensive end that wants to be paid as such is still walking that line. If he wants all that money he has to be adding that much value. And making trouble for the team dimishes his value, if it does too much then its time for business decisions. Meanwhile every one of these guys has younger players looking at their job and working every day to take it. And these younger guys are at that time working for far less so its easier for them to match into that value vs cost thing. A lot of times the difference from the veteran to the younger player is not that great while the difference in cost is huge. So these guys need to do all they can to keep down their cost to the team. And that makes that no different from the janitor who needs to always be mindful of the same.