Sean McVay’s dad didn’t have faith that he’d get an NFL job so soon

Getty Images

Rams coach Sean McVay quickly has taken the NFL by storm, getting a job at the age of 30 and winning coach of the year in his first season. His father didn’t expect any of it to happen.

In a profile of Sean McVay debuting this week on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, Tim McVay recalls the discussions the preceded his son being hired by the Rams in early 2017.

He says, ‘I think I’m gonna get an opportunity to interview for some of the open positions.’ And I said, ‘That would be fantastic,'” Tim McVay says.

“Did you think he had a chance?” Gumbel replies.

“Well, I don’t know if I should tell you this,” Tim McVay explains, “but he says, ‘I don’t think you understand, Dad. If I get an interview I’m gonna get one of these jobs.’ I said, ‘I’m all for you man.’ And then I hang up and my wife says, ‘Can he get one of those jobs this soon?’ And I said, ‘Nah.'”

In hindsight, Tim McVay should have known better. Because Tim McVay has always known that his son has the brain power to pull it off.

“I used to kind of rib him saying, ‘You know, you’re so smart,'” Tim McVay said. “You know so many things about sports and stuff. You ought to know some more stuff about other stuff.'”

“Does he?” Gumbel said.

“Not really.”

Sean McVay doesn’t really need to worry about knowing some more stuff about other stuff. He’ll be using his football knowledge for as long as he wants, and whenever he’s done he’ll have more than enough money in the bank to last for however long he lives.

24 responses to “Sean McVay’s dad didn’t have faith that he’d get an NFL job so soon

1. lanytimes00 says:
    July 21, 2018 at 11:46 am
    I don’t know when it will happen. But I can’t see this guy NOT winning a Super Bowl at some point.

1 0 Rate This
    ____________________________

His first year was somewhat reminiscent of Chip Kelly. McVay could and probably will be great but lets not get ahead of ourselves, need to see sustained success first. Lets not forget the previous HC of the year was Jason ‘Clapper’ Garrett

2. At the time of his hire I really didn’t know what to think of it. I knew anyone had to be better than Jeff Fisher but now ….. dude owns SoCal ha!!!

3. “whenever he’s done he’ll have more than enough money in the bank to last for however long he lives.”
    Yet we know that isn’t true for most players. It’s too bad for these players that their intelligence isn’t on par with their athletic abilities.

4. Lets see what he does for an encore now that his style has been out there on the big stage. It would be a shame if his high point ended up being a first round playoff losing season.

5. What’s going to help him be successful is that he is smart enough to surround him with coaches that can help me along his path. In Washington he was not a ego guy like Chip and as young as he was he was always the smartest guy in the room. I think he is the one that got away in Washington!!!

6. calizcowboyz says:
    July 21, 2018 at 1:29 pm
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

mm556 says:
    July 21, 2018 at 12:01 pm
    lanytimes00 says:
    July 21, 2018 at 11:46 am

1 0 Rate This
    ____________________________

“The Clapper” Garrett is a positive HC whom REBUILT an ENTIRE organization Not just a Team form SCRATCH!
    The team Garrett took over was Very Old and the organization was in cap heall!
    So not only did Garrett have to start to REBUILD through the draft THE RIGHT way, but he also had to change schemes from a 3/4 to a 4/3 then find the RIGHT coaches. Now IF it wasnt for the lack of depth last year the Cowboys would have been 13-3 again, and IF NOT for a bone head call in Green Bay Non Catch BS then everyone would view Jason different.
    Garrett deserved HC of The Year.

See the rams HC whom I like has it easier, signing FA’s trying to build a “super team” not worrying about the cap and not having to work for Jerry Jones.

Dont ever compare ANY team to AMERICAS TEAM! Not Ever. No One Can Compare To Our Greatness! P E R I O D !

We own the NFL and you Trolls. Every last single one of you.

7. It’s tough when your own family doesn’t have faith in you. But if he can’t get Kronke to sign Darnold his last year playoff loss may have been his peak.

8. I’m an Eagles fan but I think the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl this season. I bet anyone here one million dollars.

9. calizcowboyz says:
    We own the NFL and you Trolls. Every last single one of you.

Your team, coach & owner stink, 2 playoff wins in 25 years, that’s probably as long as you have been living in your parents basement.

10. What’s more interested than that HBO Sports put out another video from the interview where McVay is available to recall/remember every play he called during the season and the situation surrounding the play.

11. They lost to the Falcons at home in their last game. Rams went out and brought in 5 outside starters and have treated them like blood relatives. This has the makings for a meth lab gone bad.

12. McVay did a fantastic job with the Rams, but let us not forget almost anyone could look like a brilliant offensive mind following Fisher, aka Mr tied for All-Time losses by a head coach. The guy I’m amazed that doesn’t get more props is Doug Pederson in Philly. Seems like everyone is missing the fact that this guy led a rookie QB to a 7-9 season in year 1, and won the SuperBowl in year 2 with a backup QB absolutely nobody wanted at the beginning of the year. This is the year people start talking about Pederson as the next great coach to come along. You heard it here first.

13. I don’t blame his father. The kid is barely 30 years old, who’d have thought they’d give him a job as head coach?? Good for him, I wish the Redskins could have kept him

14. Mcvay is special. Way back when Chris Cooley was playing he said he was special. As a skins fan I was sad to see him leave and we retain gruden. Wish we would have axed gruden and made mcvay hc.

Luckily for mcvay he escaped and can flourish in a place he’s allowed to do his job.

15. calizcowboyz says:
    Now IF it wasnt for the lack of depth last year the Cowboys would have been and IF NOT for a bone head call in Green Bay Non Catch BS then everyone would view Jason different.
    Garrett deserved HC of The Year.
    _____________________
    Just think, if the refs hadnt mysteriously picked up a flag, or called anything for Dez running onto the field to argue a call, the Cowboys would never have had to play Green Bay and cry about Dezs no catch because they would have lost to the Lions the week before. But hey, at least Dean Blandino was partying with your owner.