Bengals owner says he’s been “instructed” to avoid anthem talk

Getty Images

The NFL failed to make its national anthem problem go away by making a unilateral policy designed to appease a person who drags them out for parties like a pinata, so maybe a gag order will work.

According to Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com, Bengals owner Mike Brown was asked about the anthem policy Tuesday, and said owners had been “instructed” to stay out of it.

“The league and the union are talking on this and we’re instructed to stand down while that’s ongoing,” Brown said. “I’m not going to sit here and stir the pot. They don’t want to hear from me right now. Let’s see how this bubbles up and I hope they can come up with some kind of answer that is acceptable to not just the clubs and the players but more the public.”

Brown then added with a laugh: “And let’s not forget the president!”

Of course, no policy the NFL comes up with is going to do that, because Donald Trump has decided it’s a political winner for him. Earlier today while addressing a VFW gathering in Kansas City, he ran the NFL up the proverbial flagpole again.

The NFL has decided to involve players in a possible solution — two months after making the policy which requires anyone on the field to stand — and that work is apparently ongoing.

Whether it will ever work or not remains to be seen, but keeping a guy whose team seemed ready to sign Eric Reid until he answered a question about his future plans incorrectly can’t hurt.

71 responses to “Bengals owner says he’s been “instructed” to avoid anthem talk

1. I look forward to the day this is no longer a topic. This was a ill-conceived idea that grew legs within a largely uneducated subculture. It’s been completely ineffective in bringing change. But hey, got to keep my street cred. I’m no Trump supporter but you don’t have a platform at work. Protest on your own time, go do something meaningful in your community.

2. sdelmonte says:
    July 24, 2018 at 3:35 pm

As long as Trump is president, some of us will be apologize for America all the time.
    ______________________________________________________________

The rest of us will apologize, because people like you continue to live here, for some reason.

3. aa1829 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 3:38 pm

3 6 Rate This

—————————-

But you really don’t because your “protest” group is all talk and no action.

4. It’s a song for crying out loud! I can’t believe this is still even an issue. Sit, stand, kneel, jabber on your phone, cry, get a beer…do what you want.

5. Bengals owner says he’s been “instructed” to avoid anthem talk

====

So the natural next step is to publicly talk about it. Once a Bengal, always a Bungle.

6. Show respect for the dead who defended your freedom, or I’ve got better things to do this fall.

I show respect for the dead by staying informed, supporting groups (with my money and awareness) that defend American rights, supporting veterans and active duty personnel left stranded in the wake of a careless and fanatical military machine, and vote for political candidates *least likely* to send more American citizens/human beings into pointless, ill-conceived, poorly-planned death excursions.

What do you again? Stand up during a song?

7. Perfect example how no one can win. If he defends the flag, he gets ridiculed. If he defends the players rights, he gets ridiculed, if he’s Switzerland, he’s ridiculed. Lose, Lose, Lose!!!

8. No matter what they do, Trump will pound his chest. They should just stay true to their convictions, whatever they are.

If they all stand for the anthem, he’ll say it’s because of his authoritative power over them.

If they don’t, he’ll say their not patriotic and don’t love this country.

This coming from the guy that sided with Putin over the FBI. Let’s keep that in perspective.

Whatever it takes to divide and polarize this country – as Putin would love.

9. “We stand up for America. We stand up for the patriots who defend America. And we stand up for our national anthem.”

Just like I did when I dodged the draft with ” BONE SPURS ” !!!

10. TruthfulDolphinsFanNotWearingBlinders says:
    July 24, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Unless he’s apologizing to Russia…

11. “I like people who weren’t captured”

-President Bone Spurs, regarding PoW John McCain.
    ————————————————————

That’s all I need to know about an American’s patriotism.

12. Why are we even entertaining the thought of “mandatory displays of patriotism” before sporting events? This isn’t Russia. Is this Russia? This isn’t Russia, is it?

Peaceful protests are as American as mom and apple pie. You know what would make America great again? Real actions to solve the real problems faced by the most vulnerable among us. Standing for a song before a football game does nothing to improve this country. Before you say “protests don’t do anything either, so there!” I would point out the simple fact that the protests have clearly made a significant portion of the US population very uncomfortable and agitated shows they definitely do something. The protests highlight the priorities of those who oppose them – Hollow displays of patriotism are more important than the fair treatment of minorities by law enforcement.

13. The only way this whole issue gets fixed is if the players present a unified front and decide they will stand for the anthem, displaying patriotism for the country that gave them the opportunity to make a truckload of money running back and forth with an inflated animal skin.

14. 98 53 Rate This
    aa1829 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 3:38 pm
    Show respect for the dead who defended your freedom,

===============

That’s exactly what we have Memorial Day for. But people spend that day eating themselves fat and drinking themselves into a stupor.

15. Surely there are some Canadian-born or Canadian-citizen (or other foreign) NFL players. What’s their position on the stand-for-the-flag issue? Are they even allowed in the stadiums under this president? Only if they are from Norway?

16. redmosquito16 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 4:37 pm

“We stand up for the patriots who defend America”

Someone remind me again what he said about John McCain and Humayun Khan’s famiy.

________

You mean the Deep State Globalist and the terrorist sympathizer?

17. “We don’t apologize for America anymore,” Trump said.
    ..Only 8 days after he blamed America for bad relations with a Russia.

Trump whines about an NFL player taking a knee in protest, then he goes on TV and gets down on BOTH knees and grovels in front of Putin.
    Who’s being unpatriotic here?

18. “We finally have a President now who is proud to be American instead of the last one who apologized for it all the time.”

Proud enough to commit treason and humiliate the country on the world stage. Putin’s Poodle is a 5 time draft dodger who doesn’t even know the words to the anthem and the Trump sheep just blindly keep bleating along

19. mackcarrington says:
    July 24, 2018 at 4:52 pm

——

we also have Veterans Day, which tends to have the most pathetic turnouts for parade attendance, something I never understand.

Trump is going to spend $12 million on a military parade….who do you think that is really for? Veterans, or Trumps ego?

20. “You mean the Deep State Globalist…?”.

Nobody’s tinfoil is tighter wrapped than someone who believes in the existence of a “Deep State”. Got a few jackolopes out there for you also.

21. theravishingrachelnichols says:
    July 24, 2018 at 4:44 pm
    Hollow displays of PROTESTING & REDEFINING A HISTORICAL TRADITION OF HONORING THIS GREAT NATION are more important to CELEBRITY MINORITIES THAN BEING AN EXAMPLE OF HONOR, RESPECT, VOICING THEIR POLITICAL OPINIONS ON THEIR OWN TIME/PLATFORMS & MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR COMMUNITIES.

There, fixed it for ya.

22. “We don’t apologize for America anymore,” Trump said. “We stand up for America. We stand up for the patriots who defend America. And we stand up for our national anthem.”
    =========================================================

And he received a standing ovation from the audience.

23. FoozieGrooler says:
    July 24, 2018 at 5:11 pm
    “We don’t apologize for America anymore,” Trump said.
    ..Only 8 days after he blamed America for bad relations with a Russia.

Who’s being unpatriotic here?
    =============================================

24. mackcarrington says:
    July 24, 2018 at 4:52 pm

———————–

I can’t think of a better memorial to the folks that have died. What do you want, everyone to sit inside all dressed in black?

25. aa1829 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 3:38 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I hope one of those “better things” is an English class, as you clearly don’t seem to understand it. You’ve been told time and time again, it has nothing whatsoever to do with veterans, those currently serving, the flag, or anything at all other than the width, breadth, depth, and severity of police brutality to people of color.

26. Michael E says:
    July 24, 2018 at 5:32 pm
    FoozieGrooler says:
    July 24, 2018 at 5:11 pm
    “We don’t apologize for America anymore,” Trump said.
    ..Only 8 days after he blamed America for bad relations with a Russia.

Who’s being unpatriotic here?
    =============================================

I wouldn’t accept “Well he did it too” or “She did it first” from my grandchildren. Thankfully, I don’t have to, as they’re far too mature for that kind of nonsense; even the 5 year old.

27. For a group that says the players shouldn’t tell the owners how to run their business you certainly spend a lot of time telling them how to run it on this issue.

28. Was it unpatriotic when Hillary hit the reset button with Russia and sold them our uranium? Was it unpatriotic when Obama told Romney that the 1980’s want their foreign policy back? Was it unpatriotic when Obama was told in 2016 that Russia was trying to influence the election and he did nothing?

———-

So then you agree Trump is no different than Hilary and Obama, but you love Trump and despise them.

Interesting rationale

29. My post above was supposed to contain, and respond to, the following “Well they did it too” silliness.

“Was it unpatriotic when Hillary hit the reset button with Russia and sold them our uranium? Was it unpatriotic when Obama told Romney that the 1980’s want their foreign policy back? Was it unpatriotic when Obama was told in 2016 that Russia was trying to influence the election and he did nothing?”

30. harrisonhits2 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 5:11 pm

———————

Enlighten me here…..how specifically did Trump commit treason? A penalty punishable by death.

31. I wish the NFL would instruct football “analysts” to stand down on this issue as well.

32. “Was it unpatriotic when Obama was told in 2016 that Russia was trying to influence the election and he did nothing?”

It is a flat out falsehood that Obama did nothing about this, and you know that it is false. Obama went to McConnell and asked him to issue a joint statement about Russia’s activities. McConnell refused.

If Obama had acted unilaterally you Hannity clones would have accused him of trying to influence the election.

33. 345snarkavenue says:
    July 24, 2018 at 5:58 pm

———-

Interesting rationale

—————-

34. cardinealsfan20 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 5:23 pm
    “You mean the Deep State Globalist…?”.

———————————

You can spell jackalope about as well as you can spell cardinal. Good work snowflake!

35. He is different in that he wants to roll back Leftist regulations and tax burdens on those of us who actually pay income taxes. And for those things I thank him.

——

I guess I’m just one of the unlucky ones that gets hosed by the GOPs targeted reduction in property tax deductions. Not only have my local property taxes gone up, I can’t deduct that increase not the portion over the maximum.

So yeah, I get to pay more than the ridiculous amount I’ve paid in the past. Just when i thought I couldn’t pay more in taxes than under Obama, boy was I wrong.

Probably going to stiff me too for
    the big Ag farm welfare caused by his tariffs. As is they weren’t already getting enough subsidization.

36. So many people have twisted this whole issue completely and conveniently forget the reason given for why Kap did it in the first place. It started with Kap saying he was not supporting the flag or America, period, end of story. Spin it any way you want, that is how all this started. Below is his original statement about why he didn’t stand for the anthem. Don’t blame the President for his reaction, or anybody else that does not like this issue to be still going on and apparently as big as it is today. Most people are sick of it. And I bet most of the owners are sick of it as well. If these players want to make positive change, that is awesome, then they should spend their time going into their communities, meeting with government and law enforcement, and do it on their own time, not on the time of people that simply want to watch a darn football game.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Mediaafter Friday’s game.

37. 345snarkavenue says:
    July 24, 2018 at 6:40 pm

——

Probably going to stiff me too for
    ————————————

38. He is different in that he wants to roll back Leftist regulations and tax burdens on those of us who actually pay income taxes. And for those things I thank him.

———

Most municipalititles have memorial events that honor veterans.

39. 345snarkavenue says:
    July 24, 2018 at 6:54 pm

———

Most municipalititles have memorial events that honor veterans.

—————
    Interesting but I’m most sure what that has to do with my post

40. cardinealsfan20 says:
    July 24, 2018 at 7:17 pm
    “You can spell jackalope about as well as you can spell cardinal”.

What does that have to do with some nut believing in a Deep State?

—————-

About the same thing as nuts believing in “Right Wing Conspiracies” or “Russian Collusion” I would say

41. “how specially has Trump committed treason?”

1. He is giving aid and comfort to an enemy, North Korea, by withdrawing from joint military exercises with South Korea and Japan;

2. He has offered to allow a foreign power, Russia, to interrogate our diplomatic and intelligence officials.

42. Actually now the rest of states that didn’t get the benefit of those tax deductions aren’t getting hosed anymore. You get to feel the high tax policies of the people you vote for. Fairness and equality blah blah blah.

——-

How is That? States have different methods of raising income through taxes. My state does not have an income tax, therefore people in my state also did not get the benefit of an income tax deduction, because, well, we did not pay that tax.

Your argument makes no sense.

43. I read a story once about a hidden
    america that the middle and upper class don’t see. One that they pass peripherally on trains and subways as they commute to work in the city. One filled with poverty and struggle.

I think that so many people are upset by these protests because they force recognition of the fact that there is still a hidden America, only it isn’t so hidden when they have to see people protesting on the field. So many people just don’t want to see that hidden, struggling, suffering America.

44. nhpats says:
    July 24, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Interesting but I’m most sure what that has to do with my post

——-

It doesn’t. I copy/pasted the wrong comment. Please accept my apology.

45. Why can’t these knucklehead players just finally get it that they are not going to win over the fans on this one? Fans are NOT happy and this does not bode well for the players long term.
    If anyone in their leadership had half a brain they’d come up with plan B for protests. It’s the only answer that’ll solve this thing.

46. chefninerapologist says:
    July 24, 2018 at 8:29 pm

So your suggestion is that someone come up with something? Thanks for the contribution.

47. Not a flag issue people. About police brutality concerns. My opinion is if your in and or involved in a situation of that matter. You hanging around the wrong crowd.