Julian Edelman apologizes again for PED suspension

AP

When Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman was initially suspended four games for violating the league’s performance-enhancing substance policy, he issued an apology on Instagram that said, in part, that he didn’t know what happened.

Edelman subsequently appealed the suspension, which was upheld by an independent arbitrator in July. Edelman said on Saturday, via the Providence Journal, that he is disappointed by that decision and didn’t want to get into whether he now knows what happened, but added that he is “definitely accountable” for the suspension and has to “follow the protocols a little better” in the future.

The wideout then offered up another apology on Sunday.

“It’s been one heck of a few months and a crazy year,” Edelman wrote on Instagram. “My deepest apologies to my family, friends, peers, coaches and fans. What I can say, and what I am most thankful for, is the overwhelming support I have received from everyone. The love and support has truly helped me through what has been a challenging time. Whether it’s a person walking down Newbury street, or someone next to me filling up their gas tank saying they have my back. I can’t thank Pat’s Nation enough. It inspires me to go out and work that much harder for you guys. Remember, tough times don’t last, tough people do.”

Edelman, who missed all of last season after tearing his ACL, is able to practice with the team and play in preseason games before his suspension goes into effect in Week 1.

62 responses to “Julian Edelman apologizes again for PED suspension

1. He is “definitely accountable”

//////////////////////////////

I thought pat fan said this was a witch hunt, and Mr. Goodell was behind all this. Take off your tin foil hats.

2. I always hope for world peace, no road construction, and the Patriots promising to never cheat again.
    Wouldn’t that be so nice!!

3. Belichick is absolutely livid. Guerrero-Rasputin has created an out of control roid culture in Foxboro that Belichick is powerless to stop, so long as Brady and Kraft are holding hands underneath the bleachers. Edelman was the first but will not be the last; Belichick knows that it is only a matter of time before Brady and Gronkowski get popped by the League.

It is in this context that we can best interpret the decision by Brady to report early; it is a long season, and Belichick can be brutal. Brady made the wise decision to break-out the peace pipe-

4. Which one of your teams players are also suspended for PED’s? I thought so. You guys act like Edelman is the only one. And it’s not Gooddell cheating. Next!

5. Still waiting for someone that takes illegal supplements to say. Yes I cheated. I got caught. I am truly sorry. That I got caught, that is. It is a tough game, we are all looking for any edge we can get. Be it “avocado” ice cream (wink, wink) or whatever else. As long as he is going to use old, lame cliches like “tough times don’t last” etc. why doesn’t he use the “if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying” cliche…

6. “Guerrero-Rasputin has created an out of control roid culture in Foxboro ”

There is zero evidence of this and its funny how you accuse the Pats of “cheating” while essentially “cheating” in your comments by throwing out a blatant lie as fact.

7. I get a kick out of Vikings’ fan coming on this board and mocking any other team. 57 years without a single championship? You guys go back to the kids table.

8. And yet the NFL still doesn’t know what substance it was that they suspended him for.

9. The rampant and endless cheating never ends with this asterisk filled joke of a franchise. Zero legitimate accomplishments. Noone outside of podunk hayseed new england respects anything these cheating frauds have ever done. Tammy is as fake as his hair plugs and loaded on HGH as we speak

10. Read the comment section, and you see exactly why someone like Brady cut his presser short the other day when the subject came up. It’s a wasted effort to try and explain things sometimes.

Here we have Edelman, who although claims there was no intentional malice behind his positive test, still accepts full responsibility and even apologized (twice now). While the comments should be applauding him for at the very least accepting responsibility and vowing not to let it occur again, and answering the question instead of avoiding it, that’s not what happens. We get the lame “cheater” comments that are beyond old and pathetic.

11. He should apologize to Brady specifically for further tarnishing his legacy. Who is to say Edelman’s heroics in the last 2 SB wins in which one he should have been the SB MVP weren’t PED assisted? It’s so disappointing.

12. goodellisaclown says:

Well there was certainly something in Edelmans “water”.

13. .
    The suspension may be a blessing in disguise. Edelman should be fresher late in the season. Plus, the Patriots have a bunch of underperforming veterans (Britt, Dorsett, Patterson and Mitchell and Matthews) who have an opportunity to shine early in the season.

14. LOL…..QUICK,QUICK…… it’s a Patriots thread…..time to troll it & call all their fans bandwagoners @ tell them how obnoxious they all are and how they’re team are cheaters and and and and and and and…….so typical of the envious & jealous fans to come flocking like seagulls to a scrap of food……..LOL……SO TYPICAL!!!!
    Can’t wait for the regular season to start & REALLY heat the bellyaching from them…….ALWAYS puts a smile on my face!!!! ALWAYS!!!

15. Mannerman

Seriously, your franchise is the biggest cheaters around, from the drug addled owner, to the equipment men, to the sound operators, to the suck for Luck campaign. Look I in the mirror son. As for hayseed New England, I think Indiana is probably the hayseed capital of the country.

16. Grogansheroes, funny considering Brad Stevens, your savior basketball coach, is from Indiana, please give more insight hayseed. New england area high schools produce ZERO talent in all sports. How many big time college basketball and football coaches spend any time whatsoever recruiting those lame no talent high schools in new england? New england produces by far the least NFL talent in the country, this was actually a study that was done and reported on. You have such a massive inferiority complex to NYC that you try to take it out elsewhere like in this forum. What a laughingstock fanbase

17. Edelman dancing around this story leads fans to draw their own conclusions. It’s probably worse than coming out and saying exactly what he knows in no uncertain terms. If it was intentional his fans would forgive.

18. Manner, it’s because people in New England have brains, don’t need to play football. Go look at a study on average IQ, I am sure Indiana will be light years behind the northeast.

19. thefiesty1 says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Which one of your teams players are also suspended for PED’s?
    Tampering with the air pressure in game balls?
    Video taping game signals against league rules?
    I thought so. You guys act like Edelman, Brady and Belichick are the only ones. And it’s not Gooddell cheating. Next!!
    _________________
    There, fixed it for you.

20. nhpats says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:51 pm
    ________________

Agreed.
    Try being a Packer fan and dealing with that delusional fan base year round.
    Popping off on any and every Packer story.
    They talk, non-stop.
    And it doesn’t even matter when their team is a complete 3-13 dumpster fire, they talk even louder.

21. goodellisaclown says:

As a Patriots fan, I neither have the time nor interest to continually comment on articles related to other teams. I guess there must be something in the water in the other 31 NFL cities.__________________________________________________________________________________________________

And yet here you are commenting..
    FYI Edelman hardly admitted cheating. He 1st tried to get off on a technicality when appealing and his apology was “follow the protocols a little better” in the future. That sounds more like oh I accidently ingested something, rather than an apology. Kinda like we weren’t the only ones filming practices is an apology after being specifically told to stop.

22. goodellisaclown says:

My bad, this actually IS a Pats article. I lost track when so many Pats fans where talking about how Indy cheats also.

Sorry

23. Nothing sends a Patriots fan into defense mode faster than a PFT article that insinuates cheating may have occurred, or any one that offers even a scarce hint of praise towards Aaron Rodgers.

24. vikesr4reel says:
    July 29, 2018 at 6:10 pm
    101 ways to cheat
    Author: Bill Bellacheat
    ————————————
    Oh my gosh…. that’s soooooo funny…..what wit you have…
    A well thought out & in depth statement
    What’s even funnier is when your team loses to the Patriots you’ll STILL BE CYING FOUL OR CHEATING & that’s what makes it soooooo funny for Patriot fans….we keep getting to laugh all the way to the playoffs & hopefully the SuperBowl…..BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA HA

25. Anyone seen Gomer Manning or know why he was not suspended 6 games for admitting PEDs were sent to his house?

It is just all so confusing. lol

26. nhpats says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:51 pm

/////////////////////////
    Try to deflect all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that another pat player got caught cheating.

27. Ever notice how every team that won a Super Bowl gets recognized from all fan bases, except the Patriots?
    If people don’t believe it was earned fair and square, the luster is gone.
    Pats fans drool on the feet of the teams that everyone acknowledges really won fairly.
    Turn back the rings to the league where they belong and restore your pride you frauds…

28. Edelman and Shady use the same roid prescribing doctor.

Test cheating Tom.

29. tedbundysson says:
    July 29, 2018 at 5:45 pm

goodellisaclown says:

And yet here you are commenting..

*******************

The first thing he did was say he didn’t know what happened (and apologized for even being in that position). Still haven’t heard the NFL identify what exactly the substance they found was, so I don’t think it’s crazy for him NOT to admit “cheating.” He tried to appeal it and could have taken it further, but decided against it (likely due in part to the sh-t-show that the league gave Brady). But guess what, even IF he came out and said, “Yeah, I knew what I was taking and did it anyway,” simple-minded people like you wouldn’t be satisfied. It’s sad, really.

30. grogansheroes says:
    July 29, 2018 at 5:09 pm

8 8 Rate This

————

Have you been to Indiana? Hell on earth. Easily a bottom 5 state. KKK rallies, Walmarts and one toothed bible thumpers everywhere.

Of course their IQs are low.

31. This is because Brady never apologized for cheating. They owed us one.
    ________________________________________________________

I mean, what was Brady supposed to say? I’m sorry I attempted to play a football game in cold and rainy weather in a NE winter. I’m sorry any objective person realizes how much of a railroad job deflategate was. I’m sorry everyone in the science community concludes any air pressure loss was natural. I’m sorry Goodell had to flat out lie when explaining why I was being suspended. I’m sorry 75% of the Colts balls were also under the legal PSI and the NFL decided to stop testing. I’m sorry that since deflategate, I’ve won two SBs, two SB MVPs, and a regular season MVP at the age of 40. I’m sorry I’m the GOAT.

Would have been a lot of apologizing for Brady.

32. I think an apology should be short and absent any detail. It’s more forthright than saying “I am surprised … don’t know how it happened.” That seems disingenuous. Just say “I’m sorry” and don’t comment on any other details. Pats fans.. stop defending the indefensible. He cheated and got caught. Can your guys ever do anything that you won’t defend. FCOL… sleep well with all the trophies. I wish.. my team won like the Pats do.. I’ll take a PED suspension and a deflated ball allegation any day for bunch of RINGS!

33. smartcollegefootball says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:29 pm

===================
    “an out of control roid culture in Foxboro that Belichick is powerless to stop”. What the bleep are you talking about ?!?!?!?!

Here are the PAtriots players suspended for violating NFLs performance enhancing substance policy during Belichick tenure:

Julian Edelman – 2018
    Brandon Bolden – 2012
    Jermaine Cunningham – 2012
    Brandon Spikes – 2010
    Rodney Harrison – 2007

That would be exactly FIVE players in 18 years. Give me a break already with the out of control nonsense.

34. Nofoolnodrool says:

Le’Veon Bell
    ====================
    Fixed it for you 🙂

35. tedbundysson says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:46 pm
    ==========================
    Probably because despite the apology people always still clamor about how it’s never enough.

36. thermanmerman99 says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:58 pm
    =================
    #OnlyThePatritosCheatLMAO

37. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    July 29, 2018 at 4:07 pm
    =======================
    Translation: Any player suspended for PEDs is because of Brady. All your suspensions belong to Brady.

38. redclaw1314 says:
    July 29, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    =======================
    Translation: When two apologies just isn’t enough.

39. tedbundysson says:
    July 29, 2018 at 5:45 pm

And yet here you are commenting..
    ==========================
    And yet he’s still apologizing (twice) for violating the policy due to what again? Oh that’s right. Nobody has a freakin clue.

40. flviking says:
    July 29, 2018 at 6:52 pm
    ============================
    How about this for deflection …

Cayleb Jones
    Kentrell Brothers
    Onterrio Smith
    Ray Edwards
    Kevin Williams
    Pat Williams
    Jerome Felton

What was that about cheaters again?

41. vikesr4reel says:
    July 29, 2018 at 7:35 pm
    If people don’t believe it was earned fair and square, the luster is gone.
    ====================================
    sniff sniff sniff

42. superpatriotsfan says:
    July 30, 2018 at 9:27 am
    Patriots and their fans amuse me. When their team gets caught cheating they have to bring up everyone else to justify their cheating ways.
    ==============================
    Probably because there’s a lot of delusional fans who actually believe their team doesn’t cheat.

43. smartcollegefootball says:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:29 pm
    ==================
    Correction:

That would be exactly SIX players in 18 years. Give me a break already with the out of control nonsense.

Julian Edelman – 2018