Art Rooney: Everyone wants the players to stand, including most players

Getty Images

The NFL and NFL Players Association made progress on Friday, as they try to hammer out Anthem Policy 3.0. Steelers owner Art Rooney II possibly has provided a glimpse regarding what the new policy will entail.

“Of course everybody wants the players to be standing, including most of the players,” Rooney said in a weekend appearance on NFL Network, via SportsBusiness Daily. “At the end of last season, we were down to just a handful of players that were protesting at the anthem, so the vast majority of players want to be focused on football, don’t want to be getting into politics on the field. If everyone has that mindset, we can work something out.”

And if everyone has that mindset, the end result will be that all players will stand for the anthem, with no protests of any kind. And even if some players don’t like that, the NFL Players Association has the power to bind the full rank and file.

Ultimately, the outcome hinges on the union leadership’s willingness to agree to strip protests out of the anthem, possibly without a major concession from the NFL. If the anthem issue is bad for business (and NFL leadership continues to believe it is), then it’s bad for the players’ broader business interests. In turn, it could be good for the players within the confines of the looming Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations to extend a valuable olive branch that both preserves the Golden Goose while also getting the Commander-in-Chief off the NFL’s case, after of course he engages in a protracted victory lap.

89 responses to “Art Rooney: Everyone wants the players to stand, including most players

1. Looking forward to the last article on this topic. Unfortunately, this isn’t it.

2. I don’t want the players to stand or kneel. I don’t even want to hear the anthem. I just want to watch football.

3. This is so stupid. The way this has all been handled should be taught in very business school in America for generations on how NOT TO HANDLE A BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS derived from Seinfeld Nothingness.

4. This is no longer about whatever the players claim it to be.

It is about defiance of Trump. It’s entirely political no matter what the actively protesting players say. If it weren’t, they’d be working in their communities instead of beating a dead horse with this. I guarantee, if this were ongoing in 2020, it would end if Trump failed to win re-election.

5. This “so called problem” doesn’t exist in any other pro sport.

That’s because the capons at 345 Park Ave. can’t handle anything correctly.

They deserve exactly what they get.

They punish people who have not committed any provable offense.

Yet allow people to act like morons and alienate their fan base.

Boy, do they need to get their priorities in order.

6. Just because most players stand doesn’t mean they want everyone else too. This is a sad lie being pushed. Probably got their talking points straight from Trump.

Who will in turn slam these same Owners next time he’s in a pickle and need to change the subject.

You’d think they’d learn. Money can’t buy them common sense I see.

7. Rooney is correct. Social media makes it sound like every player stands when truly it’s like 50-75 players out of nearly 1700 NFL players. The NFLPA needs to learn that issues like this are not worth fighting for. Wait to wage your battles when it comes to revenue distribution and retirement benefits, not a small minority of players pissing off paying customers.

8. They already lost my money with Anthem Policy 2.0, when I canceled my Sunday Ticket after more than two decades. It looks as if 3.0 is going to be even more repressive. Gross.

9. The ammount of players that actively did something for the advancement of this protest is so minimal. Malcom Jenkins in his silent protest with signs held up only a hand full of names. ESPN presented a article “How NFL players, teams put action behind their protests” which lists players in only 10 teams. Saying also the players colatition donated 89$ million.. so assuming that in the best chance there are similar numbers of players on every team doing something for the advancement that’s is still only 5% of all NFL players and about .9% of all earnings..

I’d say how about the NFL players whom feel police justice is an issue, take the off season and become a cop in your area. Don’t throw around money and rhetoric. Go out and do something. I’d love to see the Chicago Bears go policing the neighborhoods of Chicago.

10. I don’t think the NFL owners can give up the free millions of tax payers money to put on the faux patriotic display.

I’d prefer my tax dollars go to the veterans themselves than to NFL owners that don’t need it. If you want to honor the troops then reach into your own pocket and pay for it. If you have to get paid to do it then it’s not an honor. Pro sports needs to stop prostituting our veterans that served our country. We need to get back to USA and get away from U$A.
    Not everything is about the money. Especially honor.

11. I’m so tired or reading about this. The NFLPA is such an inept union, but these players voted overwhelmingly to install them as their leadership. Shouldn’t they clean their own house first? They should take a knee to protest high paid union officials who do nothing for their constituents.

12. Kaz says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:26 pm

————————-
    I’m not privy enough to their inner thoughts to know one way or another what they think. I think anyone claiming they do have such insight is the real sad lie here.

13. protesting is as American as apple pie.Putting down protest is a rich mans sport.All the russian and american rich creatures all belong to the same country.Wewantyourmoneyville.

14. “I’d love to see the Chicago Bears go policing the neighborhoods of Chicago”.

Yeah, like all of you people constantly bringing up Chicago care about what happens in those neighborhoods.

15. Never again.
    I will never again purchase an NFL game ticket.
    I will never purchase the NFL package on direct TV.
    I will continue NOT to watch the start of NFL game to see the protesters.

The NFL players and Goodell are fools.

16. Don’t agree with those that do not want the anthem played at sporting events. Who can remember the last time they heard the anthem played that was not at a sporting event? Could be Hendrix at Woodstock.

17. This is just about the silliest debate in the “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave”. What’s free in forcing people to stand for the anthem? If we truly are the Land of the Free, people have to be free to do whatever they want…even if that means taking a knee while the anthem is played or burning the flag. America’s greatness is not jeopardized by people taking a knee…in fact, it is enhanced. It’s an opportunity to educate people in authoritarian countries that this is what Freedom looks like.

To those who keep saying “why don’t these players do X?”, that’s not how this works. You don’t get to tell another person how to protest. If you think X is so effective, you do that for your cause. This is what they’ve chosen and by the amount of attention it’s gotten, one can argue it’s working.

18. As a white guy, with darker skin and curly dark hair who has been pulled over for DWB, I can tell you not everyone wants them to stand.

19. I’m sorry I have my doubts about all those so enthusiastically calling this a free speech issue. What if players suddenly began having pro-life protests during games, or blue lives matter protests? I think we’d see the free speech “advocates” displaying a much different attitude about it.

How about this. Keep it ALL out of the game and play football. People watch to take their minds of life’s problems for a bit.

20. “I’d love to see the Chicago Bears go policing the neighborhoods of Chicago”.

Lol. I served my country,. We cleaned the streets of Ramadi, Iraq and made it one of the safest cities in the world. I’d gladly go into Chicago with a bunch of my JSOC buddies and do the same.

21. It wasn’t an issue until the cheeto dusted donkey got involved.

He got all his lemmings riled up and headed for the cliff, jumping out of blind faith.

The fools who voted for the biggest fool known to mankind are responsible.

Now, the cons can either quit watching or quit whining.

Can’t have it both ways.

22. patriots123456 says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm

This “so called problem” doesn’t exist in any other pro sport.

That’s because the capons at 345 Park Ave. can’t handle anything correctly.

They deserve exactly what they get.

They punish people who have not committed any provable offense.

Yet allow people to act like morons and alienate their fan base.

Boy, do they need to get their priorities in order.
    ———————

The NFL league office is too namby-pamby to ever doing anything the right way.

Then you have 31 owners that can’t get their collective acts together to make any meaningful decisions. The fact that they offered a contract extension to Roger Goodell, the chief architect of the NFL’s PR disasters over the last 10+ years, should tell you all you need to know.

23. logicalvoicesays says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Old white men telling minorities what to do lol. Never fails to amaze me how TONEDEAF they are
    ———————————-

Most of those “old white men” are smart, accomplished businessmen who know how to make money. Most of the minorities in the NFL would be dead, in prison, or working at a car wash without those “old white men”. They are trying to help these young men (that have very short careers) get paid the most they can. The players need to stop listening to Twitter and start listening to the owners who are trying to maximize profits and help the players get paid.

24. Just play British Anthem, the National Protest Leagues’ employees respect the heck out of that one. Sad.

25. mullman76 says:
    July 30, 2018 at 5:00 pm
    It wasn’t an issue until the cheeto dusted donkey got involved.

The fools who voted for the biggest fool known to mankind are responsible.

Now, the cons can either quit watching or quit whining.

Can’t have it both ways.

————————
    Look up these two dates and compare them.
    1) when did The anthem protests begin.
    2) when did the cheeto get involved.

26. “I will never again purchase an NFL game ticket”.

You never have, you’d need a source of income other than the SSI you’re collecting from the rest of us for your faux disability.

27. @daboss81:

Thank you immensely for your service.

You and your JSOC buddies are true American heroes.

Unlike the clown in office.

Let me know how that Chicago thing works out.

Be well.

28. preface with i am white. i can tell you one thing the players are right about. this nations law enforcement is terrible. they are off the chains. i got in trouble for a cpl beers as a white guy and they kicked my tail, and i didnt even resist. i had welts and bruises all over me, and again, i never even resisted. i got off light though. at least they didnt kill me. cops are legalized gangs.

29. I’d rather just see it gone its become a divisive issue. Get rid of it most people never gave a crap about it until this all started. Go back to the way it was when it wasn’t played 10 years ago. Getting rid of it gets rid of politics in football for everyone. We already have it in enough places.

30. It’s rather a simple “problem” to address, the conversation goes like this, “I own the team and you all are employees, my policy in regards to the National Anthem is that every single “employee” that works for me has his toe on the sideline and you will be standing” If you don’t like this organizations rules regarding the National Anthem and you decide to take a knee, you will be fired for “Insubordination” and with that this conversation is over, see you all on the field!

31. The compromise, Get your butts out their and stand for this nation’s, Star Spangled Banner!

In fact this has yet to be reported but it should have been a poll was taken by every single NFL player and every single one of them said they would stand for the Star Spangled Banner, and then when asked about standing for the National Anthem about a dozen players said they wouldn’t stand.
    This league has a MUCH bigger problem with it’s players.

32. Does anyone here stand at home when they play it? Didnt think so, you are heating up nachos. It’s called politically correct patriotism, it’s cheap and easy and doesnt accomplish anything.

33. Art Rooney’s the boss. What he says goes. If Steelers players don’t like it, they won’t be Steelers much longer. This is one franchise that has never capitulated to players whining. Rudolph could be the QB anytime with wishy-washy Roethlisberger at the helm.

34. Yeah. It’s terrible that white billionaire men are making millionaires out of a mostly minority work force.

And we fans are paying that.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you….

35. Let me take a wild guess…the same people that love Rooney II for what he said are probably the same ones that hate the “Rooney rule”. Since no one can be pleased whichever way this goes how about not pleasing anyone…remove the anthem before games. Besides playing the anthem at sports games where else is it played…take all the time you need to come up with a fake answer.

36. It would be great if the Steelers and the Cowboys finished this season in Atlanta. There is nothing greater than watching a Cowboys- Steelers Super Bowl!

37. Indybear says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:12 pm
    Just another tone deaf rich dude.
    ———————————
    Several years ago when we had the worst POTUS of all time and every day was bleak and hopeless, these kind of comments used to irritate me because it was as if the left and their inherent misery had won and they were taking a victory lap.

I just laugh now. The evidence is clear: Social justice is in its death throes, post modernist thought has been exposed and there aren’t any perpetually oppressed classes of people, at least not in the USA. The pendulum is swinging away from where it was 5 years ago and it will be a long time before it swings back, buckle up.

38. If the NFLPA thinks selling out its own players to gain goodwill from the owners is going to change anything about the way the owners conduct the next round of CBA negotiations, I have a bridge to sell them.

39. “I’d love to see the Chicago Bears go policing the neighborhoods of Chicago”.
    ——————-
    ——————=
    I will begin caring about Chicago once inner city Chicagoans begin caring about what happens in their own neighborhoods.

40. mullman76 says: July 30, 2018 at 5:00 pm
    It wasn’t an issue until the cheeto dusted donkey got involved.
    The fools who voted for the biggest fool known to mankind are responsible.
    Now, the cons can either quit watching or quit whining.
    Can’t have it both ways.
    ==
    For those outside the Obama bubble, it was an issue from day1. Keep the blind faith, triggered screamers, sensitivity, and cliffs; keeping the knowledge, wisdom, logic, and the joy in watching the pit-bull take his daily bite. Takes a fool, Says the fool. And yes, we can have it both ways.. The joy of continuing to trigger SJW’s without giving the NFL a dime is one that just keeps on giving.

41. fmwarner5 says:
    July 30, 2018 at 8:42 pm

———–

That’s exactly what Kaep and Reid thought.

42. Nofoolnodrool says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:00 pm
    I

The best thing is let the players and owners fix this and leave our Lying Comrade Trump out of it.

I never knew POTUS Trump was in charge of all policies in the NFL did you ?

43. papathorson says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:53 pm

————————————–

You’re correct to doubt. The people screaming “free speech” regarding the Anthem protests left Chick Fil A, Phil Robertson, and conservatives on college campuses to defend themselves when they were silenced. In reality, they hate free speech. Some of the SJWs siding with the protesters are the same ones who think free speech is a form of hate speech. All that is why I’ve scoffed during the last 2 yrs whenever someone on the left screams “free speech” regarding the protests. I know they’re lying.

44. wheywheyprotein says:
    July 30, 2018 at 6:08 pm

————————————

There’s a big difference between not standing at your house and not standing while you’re physically at the game in the stands or on the sidelines. Get out of here with that SJW argument. You automatically lose the argument when using SJW logic.

45. notlistinin says:
    July 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm
    Indybear says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:12 pm
    Just another tone deaf rich dude.
    ———————————

28 75 Rate This

——————-

i had no idea eva braun bore children

thanks for identifying yourself, adolf iii

46. Oh man, I am sooooo happy. First, Jerry Jones spoke up and for the first time in my life I agreed with something he said. Now, Rooney does the same and thing. This thing finally is getting some traction and these knuckle-headed protesters are going to end up where they belong. Standing on the sideline in an act of respect.

47. What a world we live in. 95% of people around the globe do what’s required by their employers as they need their jobs to support their families. Somehow NFL players don’t seem to have to do what’s required by their employers and it’s apparently OK for them to speak out against their employers with no repercussions (well, the top 10% of the players can say what they want).

If people were asked would they do whatever their employers require in exchange for millions a year in pay, every one would say yes, of course. But employees do that now for the measily pay most get from their employers. What a world we live in.

48. Yes, the want to focus on football. So fo away with the anthem and play football. Problem solved on both ends.

49. If you want to solve this I have the answer. Instead of suspending or fining players make them spend one day at The Walter Reed Army Medical Center for every game they kneel. I think they will quickly understand what the flag really stands for.

50. So what’s the problem with a handful of players protesting? There wasn’t until our President turned a mole hill into a mountain. Trump’s hate has divided the country like no other President before him and that’s the real problem.

51. Let’s stop with the ridiculous hyperbole comparing them to Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali or comparing the owners to slave traders… It’s absurd.

If you’re on the field, you follow the wishes of your boss and stand for the anthem. Or feel free to join Kaepernick and Eric Reid outside of the league.

52. You B. Crazy says:
    July 30, 2018 at 5:07 pm
    logicalvoicesays says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:07 pm

———————————-

127 31 Rate This
    ———————————————————
    Unbelievably ignorant statement. “Most of the minorities in the NFL would be dead, in prison, or working at a car wash without those “old white men”.”

So, you basically think every black man in America is only capable of becoming a minimum-wage worker, an inmate, or a casualty of gang violence? That is unbelievable. Tom Brady and Luke Keuchly, could find success in other arenas, but not the black guys, they oughta thank their lucky stars that these white men emerged from the clouds to save their lives. Yeesh. You watch way too many movies, man.

53. thefappingbearcutler says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:02 pm
    Every owner wants them to and about 60% of the players. That’s not everyone Rooney!……………

Simple mathematics though clown. 60% would be the majority. In democracy, it is the majority that wins !! You can feel free to convolute things in your own simple mind to make yourself feel better though !

54. mm556 says:
    July 30, 2018 at 3:59 pm
    Everyone wanted Rosa Parks to give up her seat too.
    ___________________________________________

Do you people just spew the first thing that comes to mind without applying a single thought?

Because that statement is so far from true that the distance is immeasurable. And you should shut up, because you’re nothing but a race-baiting slug.

55. At the beginning, they should have talked to their TV partnrrs about NOT constantly showing and talking about the kneeling so this would not have blown up to the giant tedium that it is today! This is getting tiresome.

56. wheywheyprotein says:
    July 30, 2018 at 6:08 pm
    ___________________________________________________________

Does anyone here kneel at home when they play it, in blatant contempt for the nation we all live in? Didn’t think so, you are heating up nachos.

It’s called deflecting from the issue at hand, and liberals have always been very bad at it.

57. wheywheyprotein says:
    July 30, 2018 at 6:08 pm
    _______________________________________________

How about this, buddy? I played baseball for 6 years. Little league. Every game, I stood on a line, hat over my heart, facing the flag during the anthem.

Now, do you have any relevant questions or are they all just petulant little hissy fits?

58. You B. Crazy says:
    July 30, 2018 at 5:07 pm
    logicalvoicesays says:
    July 30, 2018 at 4:07 pm

———————————-

***********************************************************************
    Ouch, sometimes the truth hurts. Very well said.

59. You B. Crazy says:
    July 30, 2018 at 5:07 pm

———-
    Seriously? You believe the owners care one iota about maximizing the players compensation? LOL. This is Capitalism, pure and simple, and the owners HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING with the intent of paying players more. The only reason they are addressing this issue at all is that some of the owners believe Free Speech is hurting their bottom line.

60. phonecops says:

July 30, 2018 at 4:51 pm

——————-
    And your vehicle probably had tinted windows which means he couldn’t tell what you looked like! lol Keep reaching…

61. What happened to the gag order? Is that a rule only Jerry Jones has to follow? What gives???

62. You have to be a utter moron to think its ok to protest at your place of employment.. Their protests are falling on deaf ears for the way they are going about it… The media wants to make it about Black America vs the White police and these fools are eating it up.

63. The players are free to stand, sit, kneel, whatever. The government will not persecute them for using their freedom. The owners should be free to tell the players that if you do not represent my brand and its values the way I see fit then you will not continue to represent my brand. That is their freedom too.

64. xballhawkx says:
    July 31, 2018 at 10:36 am
    ______________________________________________________

You are not FREE to cause a distraction at your owners place of business…

65. xballhawkx | Jul 31, 2018, 9:36 AM CDT

Exactly….everyone needs to read this again.